Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Nigerian Folk Tales - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian Folk Tales (25367 Views)

Cassock Mess (Tales of the sons of Belial) / What Folk Stories Were You Told As A Child / Favourite Folk Tales!see Mine Tell Your's. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 10:07pm On Aug 21, 2006
I remembered alot of lessons i learnt about nigerian folk tales from my uncle. . . sadly i can't really relate the stories well to others because i hardly remember the full story. Most of us have learnt or enjoyed this stories, so i'll like to use this page for many to learn and enjoy by posting as many folk tales you have heard of or read about. It can help as a medium of advicing people when u can't put it in simple english lol. Be it short or long just make sure it has a Title, is written with little or no grammatical error, and (not compulsory) has a moral point. Let me start . . . .

THE GRASSHOPPER AND THE TOAD
Author: unknown

The Grasshopper and Toad where very good friends. People always saw them together. Yet they had never dined at each other's houses. One day the Toad said to the Grasshopper, "Dear friend, tomorrow come and dine at my house. My wife and I will prepare a special meal. We would love to have you."

The next day the Grasshopper arrived at the Toad's house. Before sitting down to eat, the Toad washed his forelegs, and invited the Grasshopper to do the same. The Grasshopper did so, and it made a loud noise.

When the Toad head the noise, he said "Grasshopper, can't you leave your chirping behind. I cannot eat with that noise," said the Toad.

So the Grasshopper tried to eat without rubbing his forelegs together, but it was impossible. Each time he gave a chirp, Toad complained and asked him to be quiet. The Grasshopper was angry and could not eat. Finally, he said to the Toad: "I invite you to my house for dinner, tomorrow."

The next day, Toad arrived at Grasshopper's home. As soon as the meal was ready, Grasshopper washed his forelegs, and invited the Toad to do the same. Toad did so, and then hopped towards the food.

"You had better go back and wash again," said Grasshopper. "All that hopping in the dirt has made your forelegs dirty again."

Toad hopped back to the water jar, washed again, then hopped back to the table, and was ready to reach out for some food from one of the platters when Grasshopper stopped him: "Please don't put your dirty paws into the food. Go and wash them again."

Toad was furious. "You just don't want me to eat with you!" he cried. "You know very well that I must use my paws and forelegs in hopping about. I cannot help it if they get a bit dirty between the water jar and the table."

Grasshopper responded, "You are the one who started it yesterday. You know I cannot rub my forelegs together without making noise."

From then on, they were no longer friends.

Moral: If you wish to have true friendship with someone, learn to accept each other's faults, as well as each other's good qualities.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by Ibukun2(f): 10:57pm On Aug 21, 2006
@Baby4u2
That`s really a very nice and true story! I also now a tale from my home country,

THE LYING SHEPHERD

Once upon a time there was a shepherd with his sheep. As they were on the grassland and the sheep were grazing the shepherd started to feel bored. Eventually he decided to trick some people from the near village by shouting loudly: "Help, help, I`m being attacked by wolves, somebody help!". After some short time, some of the village inhabitans were running to that grassland. Suddenly the shepherd bursted into laughter and told them that it was only a joke. Of course the inhabitants were very angry but they just left the place.

The next day it was just the same thing again: the shepherd was shepherding the sheep and after some time starting to feel bored and he shouted for help again. And again after a few minutes, some of the people from the village arrived for help. The shepherd started to laugh out loud and told them that it was only a joke again.

The third day when the shepherd was on the grassland again, suddenly a pack of wolves attacked him and the herd of sheep. The shepherd tried all to defend himself and also started to shout for help, very loudly and desperately he shouted: "Help, help, I`m being attacked by wolves, somebody help!" But this time nobody was coming and the wolves ate all the sheep.

Moral: TRUST IS SOMETHING VERY PRECIOUS AND SHOULD BE HANDLED VERY CAREFULLY! ALWAYS BE SINCERE AND HONEST WITH YOUR FELLOW PEOPLE AND FRIENDS BECAUSE ONCE YOU HAVE LOST THEIR CONFIDENCE, ITS NOT EASY TO OBTAIN IT AGAIN!
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 11:25pm On Aug 21, 2006
ibukun nice one there . . . good moral point never would have come up with that one.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by my2cents(m): 2:33am On Aug 22, 2006
I've got a few on my website: http://www.geocities.com/myibibio/tales/stories.html

Check them out and tell me what you guys think grin
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by babonboard(f): 1:50pm On Aug 22, 2006
nice stories,makes me remember my childhood days.
hope i will be able to tell my children one day.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by egus(m): 8:56am On Aug 23, 2006

snake hisses, lion roars, and the giraffe, ?

After creating all the animals from the biggest to the smallest, Eledumare the creator asked them if they wanted any other feature added to their being.The giraffe responded "my lord please grant me wisdom". Eludamare smiled then said "good thinking giraffe, henceforth you shall not make any sound because talkatives are quite stupid but the wise shut their mouths and think more" That is why today the giraffe sees all,hears all but DOES NOT MAKE ANY SOUND.
[b][/b]THINK BEFORE YOU TALK, LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2006
@egus that was nice . . . i have more too found some nice stuffs onliine,
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by dennylove(m): 12:54am On Aug 24, 2006
i like tales but i dont know how to tell them, i remember the day i went to the village around 10.00pm
my late grand ma will summon up our relatives and start telling them stories.about totoise and the animal kingdom. i just can't remember,but at the end of the story there must be a lesson to be learnt.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 11:28pm On Aug 26, 2006
[center][size=14pt]THE CHIEF'S FEAST[/size][/center]
Author: unknown

The chief sent out messengers to announce that he would give a feast and asked that each guest bring one calabash of palm wine. One man wanted to attend very badly but was to stingy to spare a calabash of palm wine.

His wife suggested that he buy the wine, but he said, "What?! Spend money so that I can attend a feast that is free?"

He thought to himself, "If hundreds of people were to pour their wine into the chief's pot, could just one calabash of water spoil so much wine?"

The day of the feast came. Everyone bathed and dressed in their finest clothes and gathered at the house of the chief. There was music and dancing. Each man, as he entered the chief's compound, poured the contents of his calabash into the chief's large earthen pot. The man also poured his water there and then greeted the chief.

When all the guests had arrived, the chief ordered his servants to fill everyone's cup with wine. The man was impatient, because his mouth watered for some sweet palm wine. At the chief's signal, all the gusts put their cups to their lips and were surprised that what they tasted was WATER.

Each guest had thought that his ONE calabash of water would not spoil a great pot of good palm wine, and so each one had brought water.

Moral: Dont try to play stupid tricks on others you might end up feeling stupid yourself.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by Seun(m): 2:14pm On Oct 03, 2006
Thanks for sharing these stories. How do you think your grandmother in the village learnt them?
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2006
wow, not been to naira land in a minute. but yeah seun good question u raised. I believe in those days folk tales where used to teach a lesson or just as a sort of amusement. It was passed from generation to generation i guess on the way she made up her own. lol. like some of us do sometimes. or what do u think?
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by creatorjc(m): 9:30am On Oct 07, 2006
all the folktales are below par.i have seen better ones.thanks
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2006
are u serious creatorjc. . . pls show us better ones then. this page is open to anyone who has seen good folk tales.
Re: Nigerian Folk Tales by baby4u2(f): 6:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
revived thread.

(1) (Reply)

Fragments Of Hidden Memories / My First Girlfriend - My Life Story (in Episodes) / Wrong Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.