Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,261 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined (3296 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / One Liter Of Organic Fertilizer To Fertilize One Hectare Of Vegetable farm / Low Cost 6 Weeks Vegetable Farm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by widowhusband: 8:34pm On Feb 02, 2015
Firstly i noticed a whole set of fresh ugwu i hv been suffering to water in this dry season just dying off. It was after 3 stumps dried up that i discovered it was termites that chewed up the main stumps that were lying on the ground.

The second prob is that even before the termite issue ,which is still affecting the remaining young sprouts i notice that there are transparent tiny insect- like eggs on many of the leafs esp under, and shriveling of the leafs with distortion of new leafs

Abeg who knows what i can do,i hv started seeing leaf coiling on the 'scent' leaf plants too

1 Like

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by tripleace(m): 1:01am On Feb 03, 2015
You need to apply insecticide fast. You can get them at any local farms support store in your area. Ask for instructions on how to apply very well and ensure you go for a broad spectrum insecticide( ask for insecticides that will kill pest on contact, by ingestion and repel by smell) but also take note of the withdrawer period of application.

For a more permanent solution, I suspect you might be having some uncleared area of land close to your farm. This acts as alternate source of nutrition for the pest during periods as this( Dry season) and would most likely migrate to your vegetables as they are more preferred to those alternate source. Clear a parameter of about 2m around you farm, plant some vegetable with this parameter and apply insecticide at interval to control migration to your farm.

Remember, this will work after you may have control infestations with the farm itself.

2 Likes

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by widowhusband: 5:45am On Feb 03, 2015
Thanks o! what brands of insecticide? i think i will goggle abt that too.

1 Like

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by tripleace(m): 8:23am On Feb 03, 2015
No, let the farm support store advice then you Google to learn more about it.
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Paulordiah(m): 9:15am On Feb 05, 2015
call 08130378328 paul
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by jasper7(m): 11:59am On Feb 05, 2015
tripleace:
You need to apply insecticide fast. You can get them at any local farms support store in your area. Ask for instructions on how to apply very well and ensure you go for a broad spectrum insecticide( ask for insecticides that will kill pest on contact, by ingestion and repel by smell) but also take note of the withdrawer period of application.

For a more permanent solution, I suspect you might be having some uncleared area of land close to your farm. This acts as alternate source of nutrition for the pest during periods as this( Dry season) and would most likely migrate to your vegetables as they are more preferred to those alternate source. Clear a parameter of about 2m around you farm, plant some vegetable with this parameter and apply insecticide at interval to control migration to your farm.

Remember, this will work after you may have control infestations with the farm itself.
Brilliant one sir. you said it all.

2 Likes

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Pavore9: 1:35pm On Feb 05, 2015
Paulordiah:
call 08130378328 paul
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Pavore9: 1:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
Paulordiah:
call 08130378328 paul
lf you truly have the solution to her predicament, why not share the information here so others who maybe facing similar situation can benefit.
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by widowhusband: 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2015
paulordiah, theres love in sharing, he he
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Soloxam(m): 10:00pm On Feb 06, 2015
Op just buy imiforce, I would have recommend cobra but it too powerful; also it a leavy plant. so use imifore, tested and trusted. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by sheyi86: 2:38am On Aug 20, 2015
Soloxam:
Op just buy imiforce, I would have recommend cobra but it too powerful; also it a leavy plant. so use imifore, tested and trusted. Good luck.
do u recommend it for watermelon
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by koolpapa(m): 7:45am On Aug 20, 2015
Soloxam:

Don't this pesticid/insecticide have any side effect on human?
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by TheUnbeatable(m): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2015
@ Op:

Go to any agric store and ask for insecticide.

Look on the body and by the one that has "cypermethrin" as it's *sole* ingredient. They come in brand name like DDFORCE and the likes.

It will solve your problem. And it does not have a fowl smell. Soldier ants disappear on smelling it and unfortunately if it touches them, they fall dead instantly and if they smell it in the soil and that is if you apply it to the soil even if it was were you were carelessly washing your sprayer, they will never get there again.

I am telling you from experience.

If you use it #the one that has not expired o# and it does not work?

Report me to the moderator and let them barn me for 10 years.

Sincerely,

2 Likes

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by midastouch: 10:37am On Aug 20, 2015
Alternatively,

If you have dogonyaro (Neem) growing in your vicinity, collect the leaves and blend it in a blender. Sieve out the leaf particles and put the water in a sprayer and spray your crops.

This will keep the transparent insects away and also the solder ants.

Your produce will also not be a lethal chemical poison for your customers which can cause cancer to them.

Garlic juice (blended like above) will help keep the ants away also.

2 Likes

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by widowhusband: 10:37am On Aug 26, 2015
ive planted new ones, i did spray dforce, no sign of any "bad thing" . I gat to enjoy fresh vegetables per sec per sec!!!
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Seun(m): 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
Please post pictures, sir.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Ademat7(m): 6:28pm On May 22, 2016
Seun:
Please post pictures, sir.
so u have interest in agriculture,by the way do u hv a farm?
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by Chinex34: 5:54pm On Sep 29, 2017
midastouch:
Alternatively,

If you have dogonyaro (Neem) growing in your vicinity, collect the leaves and blend it in a blender. Sieve out the leaf particles and put the water in a sprayer and spray your crops.

This will keep the transparent insects away and also the solder ants.

Your produce will also not be a lethal chemical poison for your customers which can cause cancer to them.

Garlic juice (blended like above) will help keep the ants away also.

What if I boil the dogoyaro leaves and use the water will it still work?
Re: Vegetable Farm Getting Ruined by stagger: 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2017
widowhusband:
Firstly i noticed a whole set of fresh ugwu i hv been suffering to water in this dry season just dying off. It was after 3 stumps dried up that i discovered it was termites that chewed up the main stumps that were lying on the ground.

The second prob is that even before the termite issue ,which is still affecting the remaining young sprouts i notice that there are transparent tiny insect- like eggs on many of the leafs esp under, and shriveling of the leafs with distortion of new leafs

Abeg who knows what i can do,i hv started seeing leaf coiling on the 'scent' leaf plants too

You have to act fast. However, the big ethical question here is whether it is safe to apply DDForce and other chemicals on leaves that are used for cooking soup thereafter. DDForce is an organophosphate that kills insects the way Sarin gas kills humans when used as a chemical weapon. Therefore, accumulation of insecticides in vegetables for consumption is a real and genuine concern.

I believe someone mentioned the use of Neem oil (oil extract of dogonyaro plant) as an organic substitute in another thread. Looks safer.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Farmers In Enugu Lets Meet Here / Need Advice In Rearing Turkey / Ever Wonder How Palm Oil Is Made?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.