Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) (22338 Views)

Woman And Her Baby Die In Lekki Building Collapse / Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Fire Outbreak At Police Barracks V.i,lagos(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by lalasticlala(m): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2015
Barely six months after a building collapsed at the Pedro Police Barracks in Bariga, Lagos, residents of another barracks in the state say buildings in the Ojuelegba Police Barracks risk an imminent collapse.

Our correspondent had reported that a two-storey building in the Pedro barracks collapsed on the evening of June 30, 2014.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the Ojuelegba barracks, Surulere, could suffer similar fate any time.

The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, who visited the area during the inauguration of an Information and Communication Technology Resource centre at the Area C Command, Surulere, said the government would assist in reconstructing the barracks if the policemen could relocate from the structure.

He had said, “We have done a structural assessment of the quarters, and it is very unsafe. If you evacuate the building, and you demolish it, we will rebuild it. The sooner you evacuate it and pull it down; the sooner our team will move in and rebuild it to make it safe for you.”

It was gathered that an agency of the state government, the Lagos State Building Control Agency, also sent its officials to the police barracks, and evaluated the building as unsafe, warning of its imminent collapse.

The General Manager, LASBCA, Mrs. Abimbola Animashaun, told PUNCH Metro on the telephone on Tuesday that the agency also assessed the police barracks in Ikeja and found it unsafe for living.

She said, “There are dangerous structures in the barracks. When we visited some of these barracks, the occupants saw us, and were a bit aggressive. The risks involved are many; we have heard that slabs fell on children. In summary, we have done our bit. It is left for the police.”

When our correspondent visited the barracks on Tuesday, it was observed that most apartments had cracked walls, while the iron rods holding some pillars had become visible and rusty.

Our correspondent learnt that the barracks had four blocks with 27 rooms each.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro, a corporal, who gave his name simply as Eddy, said the state of the toilet facilities in the barracks could also lead to an epidemic.

He said, “As you can see, the barracks is old and needs reconstruction. Although I moved in here in 2013, it has not been a pleasant experience. The soak-away is bad, and it brings out foul smell. The walls are cracking, and their rods are getting weak.

“We just stay here because there is no alternative. The government may have allocated the funds for its reconstruction, but we have not seen any evidence of such.”

Another occupant, who declined to give her name, said the occupants were beginning to contribute money to patch up the worst portions of the buildings.

Our correspondent learnt that policemen from the rank of constable up to Superintendent of Police stay in the barracks. It was gathered that a constable paid about N6, 000 rents monthly, while an SP paid about N30, 000.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, promised to get back to our correspondent on the matter. He, however, had not got back as of press time.

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/policemen-families-live-in-danger-of-barracks-collapse/

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by msmon(m): 8:12am On Feb 04, 2015
Then, we'll complain that police doesn't ensure safety of life and property of the citizenry, how would they do that when their life and property isn't secured either?.

Goodluck Jonathan Is A Superior Presidential Material To Muhammadu Buhari, By Femi Aribisala(Columnist)
www.nairaland.com/2127363/gej-superior-presidential-material-gmb#2127363.3

I’ll Perform Better In My Second
Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan
Assures

www.nairaland.com/2128799/ill-perform-better-second-term#30406396

We Are Not Aware Of Plan For Interim
Government - Nigeria Army

www.nairaland.com/2129048/not-aware-plan-interim-government

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by theorbiters: 8:14am On Feb 04, 2015
I must say, it's very disheartening that humans like you and I live on the verge of imminent danger, only at the hands of mercy, not sure which day or hour their lives would be plunged into colossal collapse.
The part the irks me the most to the base of my stomach is that, the govt knows about this gruesome condition and the only thing they could do is to make promises, promises that have now amounted to mere wishes like a dark cloud blown away by the wind.
People living here there are already left to their fate, like a life sentence, not even sure if they would wake up the next day.

I can only hope for a response from the incoming govt.

4 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by dre11(m): 8:15am On Feb 04, 2015
And some humans are living in this kind of apartment.........

This decay must have being caused due to neglect and no maintenance culture that abound in this our society because buildings like this are supposed to be maintained and structurally checked periodically

1 Like

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Mubarack44(m): 8:16am On Feb 04, 2015
Pdp government are to blame they found these barracks builds by military regime but to renovates became a big problem. chai daris God ooo

10 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Faibuhari: 8:16am On Feb 04, 2015
Police are the worst organisation in nigeria, they can't take care of any of their properties, from their patrol vans to their stations also their barrack and most of all their wives. Police sucks

11 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by kingopta(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2015
its a shame that the lives of our pple are put in danger becos of our gullible government officials who ignores their responsibility
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by StPete: 8:17am On Feb 04, 2015
But not too long ago, they re-built most part of the Barracks after it was destroyed during the fracas between the Police and the Army
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 04, 2015
May God help us.
Who to secure who now in this case?
This is not too good for those innocent children and mothers.
All is well.
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by theorbiters: 8:35am On Feb 04, 2015
Mubarack44:
Pdp government are to blame they found these barracks builds by military regime but to renovates became a big problem. chai daris God ooo
Excuse sir, but are you okay? How can you heap the blame on PDP govt.? This is not a Federal project or is it? Lagos is not a PDP governed state, or is it?
You can't blame GEJ either or can you? If GEJ begins to go around all the states to attend to matters like this, what happened to the governors and the state govt.?
You don't shit the responsibilities of a state to one man

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by lecturerdabo(m): 8:47am On Feb 04, 2015
I believe the NPF should take the bulk of the blame. Its as though the lack of maintenance culture in our country originated from the Nigerian Police Force!

This I think is the second time this organization is coming to limelight on a negative note.

There is hardly any police barrack in this country that is not an eye sore, from IBB way in Calabar to Borikiri police quarter in PH to Lagos na the same tori!

Their patrol cars are not left out! from one mechanic workshop to another to road junctions, you will most likely find an abandoned police van and the one still working are nothing to behold as they are constantly looking battered!

God help my Country!!

4 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 04, 2015
If u see some police barracks, i swear!!! A single push can collapse the building..... And someone will now start telling me that police won't engage in corruption
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by englishmart(m): 8:57am On Feb 04, 2015
Wahala azhii labe labe
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by immortalvoices(m): 9:06am On Feb 04, 2015
In every barracks throughout Nigeria, families are living in danger!

That is how the infrastructure has degenerated to.
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Osyxcel(m): 5:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
shocked

I don't think I've ever seen any attractive police barrack tho. sad
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by roymary: 5:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
Our leaders na real gangsters. Dem no send undecided
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Burger01(m): 5:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
The government loot money with impunity. They steal without compunction. They couldn't rebuild police barracks nationwide.. What a government of thieves we haveundecided

Time for change is here.

Let's chose and vote wisely.

Vote for the future yet unborn.

Vote for integrity.

Decide to vote Buhari/Osinbajo.

I have decided.

#iHaveDecided.

3 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Coldfeet(f): 5:32pm On Feb 04, 2015
i am still reading seuns post about buharis catastrophic regime which came into power on the eve of my birth ( 31 years after he still wanna rule me smh) nice exposè u must say.

sorry for derailing your post lala.
back to topic its a shame how these men and women of the uniform are made to keep living in such deplorable conditions, President Jonathan should see to it as soon as he settles back into power come may 29.

3 Likes

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by tdayof(m): 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2015
NIGERIA
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Optional2(f): 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2015
Na wa ooo
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by datguru: 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2015
Chai
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by phransix147(m): 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2015
See where our Police Men and Officers stay... OMG! No wonder they are naturally angry always!
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by clara472: 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2015
And govt. will say they shouldn't collect bribe when living in this condition SMH

ISIS Burn Captured Pilot Alive, Film It | GRAPHIC PHOTOS
Source: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/crime/item/2995-isis-burn-captured-pilot-alive-film-it-graphic-photos
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Wynnah(m): 5:35pm On Feb 04, 2015
I pray the next administration helps rebuild their habitat before it collapses.
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by lilbabyak(m): 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
What can I say? Police is your friend.
May GOD help them by making the present govt remember them and if they don't I pray the next one will
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by emiye(m): 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
So na Fashola dey do FG work now ?

Failed FG

1 Like

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by EmmaOgbu(m): 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hahahahahaha. I made it today

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by elbinmanny(m): 5:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
Mubarack44:
and im sure the PDP led govt is also responsible for your inability to write correct English undecided

1 Like

Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by EmmaOgbu(m): 5:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
Police are not even helping themselves, wia are the allocations dt goes to police force every month?
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by sammynice(m): 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2015
where is d allocation for yearly renovation been given 2 dem by fg
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by hazyfm1: 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2015
GEJ IS WORKING
Re: Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 04, 2015
hahahahaha... abeg let the building collapse and kill them all.
Nigerian police is as useless as they come!!!!....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Lost My Properties In The First Rain Of The Year" - Nigerian Man Cries Out / LASEMA Reacts To Gas Explosion In Lagos (Videos) / High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.