Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? (10375 Views)

After 5 Months Of Learning OOP In Visual C#-here Is A Little Project I Made. / I'm Learning Programming Online And Blogging About My Experience / I'm Learning Programming But... How Can I Code (as In ... In Real Life)??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by Cwaya(m): 10:48am On May 01, 2015
Be sure to solve problems of a chapter or topic you just concluded. A lot of Problems oo..
It helps to get the knowledge stick to the brain.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by trigar12(m): 10:49am On May 01, 2015
Someone just gimme a video tutorial on python(downloadable) reading the pdf bore me mehn
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by DonaldGenes(m): 11:26am On May 01, 2015
lordZOUGA:
There have been posts about how to learn programming which featured some pretty good tips on how to learn programming.

So, what are the worst ways of learning programming?. Your tip might help someone choose the right method by process of elimination. smiley

I can think of: Reading a lot of books and not actually practicing. This leads you into a false notion of believing you can actually do all the things you read correctly on first try. Destroy that notion. You have to practice.

Reading a lot of programming books and never touching the keyboard

Start from reading some big open source software's codes, like Linux kernel

Doing copy-and paste instead of typing yours and making mistaks
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by AAinEqGuinea: 11:27am On May 01, 2015
Borwe:
By going to university to learn programming

Technically you don't need uni training for any discipline. I almost got killed telling this to a med student. grin

Regarding self taught programming, the few that have made a name for themselves (Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc) either by dropping out of college or not attending entirely later started their own more successful companies in which * drum roll * 99% of their staff have ee/cs degrees.

I've noticed the difference in the quality of work that's produced between the two approaches. The difference between the two approaches is analogous to one person who simply learned English and is still able to get by in life versus one who has robust context when using appropriate English...like with this example, you'll quickly notice the difference with programming.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by akisoft(m): 11:30am On May 01, 2015
Borwe:
are you talking about Nigeria universities? If yes, the person will only understand history of programming
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by 2scorehigh(m): 11:35am On May 01, 2015
Borwe:

Check out all head first *title of issue* books. Most interative and none boring books I have ever read.

You are right! Those Head First people eh! They teach in a crazily delicious way.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by akisoft(m): 11:41am On May 01, 2015
Taylor86:
g

Godbless u, any person wey need sense should visit u..infact that's exactly what am facing now bro, am a graduate of CSc, but dnt even know where to start cos back then dey mk it complex for u in d uni....imagine after NYSC i want to go register at NIIT for better sense
that might be another disaster, read basics of programming and pick up any language u like, starting with java is not, download videos, watch and practice, forget about money for now, it will run after u later. Enjoy coding, #AddictedProgrammer
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by AAinEqGuinea: 11:50am On May 01, 2015
@topic

Worst programmers are self taught and/or those who learn programming but suck at college-level math.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by abubaka101: 11:57am On May 01, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
@topic

Worst programmers are self taught and/or those who learn programming but suck at college-level math.
Guy did you even think this before you posted this?
Besides, it doesn't tally with ur previous comment.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by AAinEqGuinea: 12:00pm On May 01, 2015
abubaka101:

Guy did you even think this before you posted this?
problem? grin
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by abubaka101: 12:03pm On May 01, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
problem? grin
No. Everybdy's entitled to his opinion.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by tomdon(m): 12:04pm On May 01, 2015
Pls, with adequate interest and enthusiasm, can one code for leisure and be successful in it while having a job or other business ventures. Or does it have to be full time to make any credible impact.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by carik(m): 12:27pm On May 01, 2015
chim14:
no too much talk, the foundational worst way is not learning the basics.

This is how I started:
1) QBasic
2) Access Basic
3) Visual Basic 6.0
4) Java
5) VB.Net
6) C#.Net
7) HTML/CSS
cool PHP
9) Javascript

Like seriouslyy html 9th
I thought html is the simplest to learn and best to start with
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by ibietela2(m): 1:00pm On May 01, 2015
lordZOUGA:
There have been posts about how to learn programming which featured some pretty good tips on how to learn programming.

So, what are the worst ways of learning programming?. Your tip might help someone choose the right method by process of elimination. smiley

I can think of: Reading a lot of books and not actually practicing. This leads you into a false notion of believing you can actually do all the things you read correctly on first try. Destroy that notion. You have to practice.

Do you have the link to the tip on learning programming
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by ibietela2(m): 1:03pm On May 01, 2015
omoelu1:
Learning two languages concurrently; especially when one is still a beginner.
It really slowed me down

Yeah, so true.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by ibietela2(m): 1:07pm On May 01, 2015
trigar12:
Someone just gimme a video tutorial on python(downloadable) reading the pdf bore me mehn

Check Udemy.com currently is on sale for $10 use the app.

I don't want to distract myself since I am learning htmL5 / css
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by ibietela2(m): 1:09pm On May 01, 2015
I find it hard to remember what I have read or watched....... Its more than 5 months now am still in htmL5/css lipsrsealed undecided cry angry
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by yahoofak(m): 2:19pm On May 01, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
@topic

meaning?
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by TechtraGadgets: 2:46pm On May 01, 2015
lordZOUGA:

Through crappy YouTube videos that don't teach basics and w3schools.

Best way are books and articles
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by fattbabakay(m): 2:49pm On May 01, 2015
Borwe:
and can u tell me wot university teaches programming per se in NIgeria??
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:18pm On May 01, 2015
Starting your programming training with a PL like Haskell and perhaps other complicated Functional Programming Languages; might be either the best or worst thing, depending on the result of that..

Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by FUTYGUY(m): 3:30pm On May 01, 2015
Pls who can help me out with this. Write a computer Algorithm and a corresponding flowchart to sort a given collection of words Alphabetically. Thanks
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 01, 2015
Learning programming from nigerian schools is the worst way to learn...the best way is from YouTube...u get to meet nice white guys that would help.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by pinkyruledworld(m): 4:46pm On May 01, 2015
If u dnt like maths and stat, it would be hard

1 Like

Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by matrix4u(m): 5:04pm On May 01, 2015
Copy and Paste is the worst...
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by aziddam1001(m): 9:35pm On May 01, 2015
Borwe:

Check out all head first *title of issue* books. Most interative and none boring books I have ever read.
Those books really make sense a lot. But when you have mastered the principles in it, then go for a more complex one because i noticed that it's filled with just basics.
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by adedolapo4(m): 11:55am On Apr 14, 2016
CodeHouse:
1. When you learn languages simultaneously with different keywords, you could end up with errors.

2. When money comes before passion and interest.

3. Programming without a proper algorithm and flowchart (most don't do this), etc

so you draw flowcharts before you start any project?
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by CodeHouse: 12:13pm On Apr 14, 2016
adedolapo4:

so you draw flowcharts before you start any project?

Im sure you dont work on big projects, if so you wont ask

Sometimes some of us draw the flowcharts in our heads and most times we still use our transparent boards.. The result of that is a program that functions seamlessly
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by Borwe: 12:34pm On Apr 15, 2016
Why transparent and not just normal paper and pen?
Re: What Are The Worst Ways Of Learning Programming? by adedolapo4(m): 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2016
CodeHouse:

Im sure you dont work on big projects, if so you wont ask

Sometimes some of us draw the flowcharts in our heads and most times we still use our transparent boards.. The result of that is a program that functions seamlessly

Yeah. I am still a beginner. Dont even know what to do to break out of this 'biginners league'

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let's Build An App That Can Predict Bet9ja Virtual League (FUN PROJECT) / Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer / Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.