Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? (2938 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by tolu4you: 6:34pm On Feb 04, 2015
Good evening to you all.....
i want to going in to snail farming but i dnt know what to do. These
are my questions, please my fellow nairalanders, help me.

1. How many plot of land will be needed for large scale snail
business? i wish to have more than 800000 snails within two years.

2. How can i source for snail, most especially Achatina Achatina
species.

3. Do i need to write business plan on snail farming? if yes, how?
Please i need someone who can help me out on this. A brother needs
help

4. Is it capital intensive? For like how much?

5. How can i guide against snail's enemies

6. How can i sell the snails after harvest.

i need your help please, im in ekiti now.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by tolu4you: 9:20am On Feb 05, 2015
please my people
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by tobajetex: 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2015
firstly you need to know the market day of the towns and and meet with those selling snails then take samples to places like abuja ,lagos and meet with the hotels eaterys and food joint ,show them your samples and talk business with them.
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by tolu4you: 5:38pm On Feb 05, 2015
tobajetex:
firstly you need to know the market day of the towns and and meet with those selling snails then take samples to places like abuja ,lagos and meet with the hotels eaterys and food joint ,show them your samples and talk business with them.
thanks for your response....
nairalanders, plz i need anz to questions 1 to 5
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by metroy4x: 10:46pm On Feb 07, 2015
Alright, join the on going free whatsapp training from there you can start on your own.
To register whatsapp "YES" to 08038886196
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by Twistone(m): 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2015
I usually dont use to comment but snail is exactly what is intend going into later in the year so let me share with you my little findings.
If you really intend to make it that big, then it can be expensive. It depends on the location of the land. Mine is a virgin land so I will need to sink a well (dig down to water table). That alone will cost about N150,000 but you already have a source of water then you are good to go. Just make sure you dont run out of water through out the year.
Housing is another major thing you should consider. You can use hutch boxes and u can use .... errrm.... (i have forgen the name). But it good you start with the hutch boxes. as the snails multiply you build more boxes and make sure they are not overcrowded.
As per where to get the snails from it is best if you can buy from a farm. If you in southwest, then i think some state ministries of agriculture do rear snails. they can also educate u more. You can still buy the snails from the market anyway.
mine is going to cost me about N600,000 because i have to consider housing, fencing, security, well digging, land clearing etc.
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by tolu4you: 12:48pm On Feb 08, 2015
Twistone:
I usually dont use to comment but snail is exactly what is intend going into later in the year so let me share with you my little findings.
If you really intend to make it that big, then it can be expensive. It depends on the location of the land. Mine is a virgin land so I will need to sink a well (dig down to water table). That alone will cost about N150,000 but you already have a source of water then you are good to go. Just make sure you dont run out of water through out the year.
Housing is another major thing you should consider. You can use hutch boxes and u can use .... errrm.... (i have forgen the name). But it good you start with the hutch boxes. as the snails multiply you build more boxes and make sure they are not overcrowded.
As per where to get the snails from it is best if you can buy from a farm. If you in southwest, then i think some state ministries of agriculture do rear snails. they can also educate u more. You can still buy the snails from the market anyway.
mine is going to cost me about N600,000 because i have to consider housing, fencing, security, well digging, land clearing etc.

are you on whatsapp? please i need you more?
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by Twistone(m): 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2015
tolu4you:

are you on whatsapp? please i need you more?
yeah,
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by kunlesufyan(m): 9:28pm On May 17, 2015
Hello people ...being doing some research on snail farming also..thinking of going into that aspect of agriculture ..from what iv gathered ,I think its best one start with matured snails so as not to wait long before they start multiplying ..I made calculations starting with 40 snails (the one that produces 200-400 eggs per batch thrice a year)..starting with 40 will produce 12000 per batch three times a year I.e 12000*3=36000 a year....what I have not been able to find out is where I can get that specie close by cos I also read long exposure to sunlight reduces their fertility ,I stay in Kuje,Abuja... So tolu4you how far have you gone with yours ?

2 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by jaeik: 4:36pm On May 21, 2015
i am very interested in this topic because i also want to go into this business.

i live in Benin city, but my big question is how productive is the business in terms sale/profit.
anyone please kindly respond.

thanks
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by shangodele(m): 5:08pm On May 21, 2015
kunlesufyan:
Hello people ...being doing some research on snail farming also..thinking of going into that aspect of agriculture ..from what iv gathered ,I think its best one start with matured snails so as not to wait long before they start multiplying ..I made calculations starting with 40 snails (the one that produces 200-400 eggs per batch thrice a year)..starting with 40 will produce 12000 per batch three times a year I.e 12000*3=36000 a year....what I have not been able to find out is where I can get that specie close by cos I also read long exposure to sunlight reduces their fertility ,I stay in Kuje,Abuja... So tolu4you how far have you gone with yours ?
pls,wc of d breed d u make calculations for?
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by kunlesufyan(m): 10:26pm On May 21, 2015
I did for achantina achantina.. @ shangodele
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by mikolo80: 10:38pm On May 21, 2015
jaeik:
i am very interested in this topic because i also want to go into this business.

i live in Benin city, but my big question is how productive is the business in terms sale/profit.
anyone please kindly respond.

thanks
if you put 1Naira you make between 4 and 10Naira (economy of scale dependent)
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by mikolo80: 10:46pm On May 21, 2015
tolu4you:
Good evening to you all.....
i want to going in to snail farming but i dnt know what to do. These
are my questions, please my fellow nairalanders, help me.

1. How many plot of land will be needed for large scale snail
business? i wish to have more than 800000 snails within two years.

Heard someone do 75000 on 2plots

2. How can i source for snail, most especially Achatina Achatina
species.

Market bush other snail farmers agric dept/ uni

3. Do i need to write business plan on snail farming? if yes, how?
Please i need someone who can help me out on this. A brother needs
help

check newspapers there is one training that always advertises they have it

4. Is it capital intensive? For like how much?

any business can be as capital intensive as you want it to be

5. How can i guide against snail's enemies

fence and net for snakes and rodents and moat filled with kerosene for ants while concrete for termites

6. How can i sell the snails after harvest.

advertise

i need your help please, im in ekiti now.
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by shangodele(m): 7:08am On May 22, 2015
kunlesufyan:
I did for achantina achantina.. @ shangodele
pls,show d pictorial of d soil composition nd how 2 check d soil acidic
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by lilfizzie: 10:50am On May 26, 2015
hello, am a student of OAU nd.would like to.start with a caital of 20k, pls i need all help i can get
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by millhouse: 7:48pm On Jun 05, 2015
kul
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by babytejiri(m): 3:54am On Jun 21, 2016
zpouy]';
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by DONKINGS10(m): 10:43am On Jun 24, 2019
you people makes me laugh with this ur high expectation about snail farming, i have invested in snail farming ,here is the reality the only snail that sells very well both locally and internally is achatina marginata ,and it lays only 5 to 10 egg per clutch, forget about achatina achatina i does have much demand in the market like AM ,and it does not lay 300 egg per clutch is all ur imagination, and lastly snail take a very long time to mature sometimes up to 2 years . Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by Moboj: 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2019
DONKINGS10:
you people makes me laugh with this ur high expectation about snail farming, i have invested in snail farming ,here is the reality the only snail that sells very well both locally and internally is achatina marginata ,and it lays only 5 to 10 egg per clutch, forget about achatina achatina i does have much demand in the market like AM ,and it does not lay 300 egg per clutch is all ur imagination, and lastly snail take a very long time to mature sometimes up to 2 years . Thanks
I can't say you're wrong
AA might be the biggest but 70% of the snail's in the market are actually AM's
Re: Snail Farming Business. Way Forward? by konews: 2:04pm On Aug 24, 2020
Snail Farming Business- According to the research we made we found out that Snail farming is a large business in every part of the world. Are you in interested in going into Snail Farming business but you don’t know how to start or run it . Do you need a detailed sample of a Snail Farming business plan or feasibility study? I guess you are in the right
place because we’ve got what you have been looking for.
https://businessplanhub.com.ng/snail-farming-business-plan-in-nigeria-pdf/

(1) (Reply)

Micro Spray Tube For Plantain And Other Crops For SALE!!! / Large Quantities Of Seminis Darina Cucumber Seeds For Sale In Nigeria / Organic Booster And Deodourizer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.