Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,461 members, 7,801,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48525 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 8:51pm On Aug 29, 2006
I aint discriminating. I am only highlighting the facts on grounds based on what Nigerian company do and based on the general perception. I have tried to chose my words clearly indicating that my view and opinion is not about all but moajority and u can as well point out to the minorities. it's really nauseating and annoying to see paper qualification as a standard for employment but that's the country u live in.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2006
You guys keep flogging dead horses, if you are in a polytechnic try and transfer to a University to save yourself wahala, if you have already graduated get a masters from a University and move on.

In America people go to 4 year colleges but the Average starting salary of Havard/other ivy league schools is much higher than that of the average state school that doesnt have a football team or doesnt have the money that Havard and the rest have, Yet the curriculum is basically the same, but like someone else mentioned any where you are you are remember you are blessed and try to be the best you should be.

Cloudy today, sunny tommorow!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by walexy(m): 9:42pm On Aug 29, 2006
Be it a poly or a uni graduate,what matters most is our in-built ability,capacity and capability to defend what we have acquired in school.I am a poly graduate from the federal polytechnic ilaro,i had distinction both at @ ND and HND level in Accounting.I had an interwiew with most of my bsc counterparts @ Guinness Nig plc and to the glory of God,i was considered for the job.So believe in your self but not in what u're carrying all about.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by dennylove(m): 10:40pm On Aug 29, 2006
am worried about the way things are going in this country. can you imagine,
even if you finish school,have OND,HND,BSC,and other DEGREES, without CONNECTION no job.
NA WA OOOOOOOOOO .
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by dennylove(m): 10:47pm On Aug 29, 2006
the latest news in town, banks don't accept POLYTECHNIC,peoples that went to poly were all SACKEDis polytechnic not schull?.WHERE DO THEY WANT THEM TO GET JOB?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Bhola(f): 3:06am On Aug 30, 2006
Personally, I think we should all go to the University. Let me give you an example:
My sis, she graduated like four years ago. She went to a poly in Osun state for her OND and Oyo State for her HND. Upon completion of her OND, my dad asked her to go to a university, which by the way, was already arranged, as per Nigerian style. Anyway, long tori short, she no go. She sat at home for about three years. Finally she dey work now, but them dey pay her about 400k less than someone with a B.S degree(which I call bullshit). Now she is looking back and saying, had I listen.

See, we all know Nigeria is bad. Education is even worse. Me, I am an average student. Cs were fine by me. My two other friends wey I dey roll with for naija, one came out with a first class (working with an oil company now), the other came out with a 2-1 in UK now. Me, tho, if I bin finish for Naija, na 2-2 I for take finish. Now, tell me, wetin I go dey do now? I probably go marry and begin eat pesin money cheesy. I sha fine. Lol. What I am trying to say is this, I got to the states, and peeps were coming to me to solve their problems. Na the same brain wey I get for Nigeria na him I get for here too o, but the difference in the educational sysytem is too mush to begin mention. Is it the size of the classes or the resources or the level of knowledge of the instructors (by the way, na Mr. Lecturer we dey call am for Naija), no be yoke.

I no know the kin helep, wey HND holders fit get. Maybe, when I come open my factory, I go employ some technical hands, afterall, na them I dey work with now and my technicians/operators are cool. Dem fit mess the whole company up, so na jeje I dey treat them.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by wills(m): 8:10am On Aug 30, 2006
HND, BSC… what are we talking about here, its not really the difference, but the whole lopsidedness of the educational and certification structure. Polytechnics , University and even colleges of Education graduates are all trained to fit into different palaces in a co-operates
environment( Public or Private) Polytechnics being more practical oriented are supposed to be tutoring engineering and physical sciences more than basic studies at least 80% of Polytechnics coursers should be in the engineering and physical sciences but now , in most schools that’s not the case.

That aside, in a working environment, an engineer is supposed to do a different work from a Designer or technician and that’s how its is with other functions, what I think the real problem is is renumuration and development, the EVIL!!!! being done Polytechnic graduate is not just that you come a grade or two lower than a university graduate in public or even private companies , they also put a cap or ceiling on your career when you get to a particular stag, while your colleagues from university go on.
I have seen case where even after going to develop ones self after your HND to obtain a masters and other professional qualification, you are still discriminated against just cuss you had a Diploma in the first instance and not a degree, this kind is most common in the educational sector.

The solution to this is simple, take all the limitations away from a polytechnics graduates path to career development, even if he comes into an organization lower than or equal to his degree holding colleagues, don’t “HOLD HIM DOWN” let everyone prove what they are made of, university or polytechnic then appraise based on performance and not some piece of paper.

I have an HND, and its No embarrassment to ME!!, I carry myself with that Pride i earned it, it cost me MONEY and a whole 6 YRS of Mylife, so i wont use my own mouth to take that away, its all about getting educated and i thank God i got to this level and have even moved above it,

So if you have an HND qulification, try and live above that discrimination, anywhere you find yurself, and make sure your own Kids dont attend one!!

Trophies are not for starters, they are for finishers.
Awards are not given for rehearsals, they are given for performances
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:45am On Aug 30, 2006
People, if our leaders cannot reason well by putting a round peg in a squared hole that does nt mean that we should follow them. Since we know what is right we should do it please. Have you ever wondered why developed nations are developed?? Do you think it is because of the number of professors and Doctors they have there?? No, it is because of the priority and attention they give to technology. We too in nigeria should also invest in technology and see what will happen. Nigeria has succeeded in wasting money carrying  out researches in the universities with nothing coming out of them. And no money was given to polytechnics to carry out similar or a different research. Go to the polytechnics and see for yourself what engineering Technologist design and build; go and see the prototypes and models of so many machines and all that in their worshops with no funds to finish up such projects. I'm still surprised that we still have not asked ourselves why we cannot manufacture anything at all in nigeria. Polytechnics and universities are institutions of higher learning needed by any growing nation. So if after investing money in the universities and nothing good comes out of it, we should not use that result to make conclusions that polytechnics cannot do better. For God's sake polytechnic graduates need encouragement and not discrimination. If you feel you are good as a university graduate come out  and prove yourself; same applies to a polytechnic graduate, if you know you are good come out and prove your self too. Lets stop using certificates to judge output. I must say it here that many HND holders are not good just as we have Bsc holders that are not better than secondary school students.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Frankies(m): 11:15am On Aug 30, 2006
As far as i am concerned, What matters is God being for you. No matter what happens, whether you have B.sc or HND. Destiny is from God.

GOD GIVES SUCCESS.BE IT BSC OR HND.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bueze(f): 11:30am On Aug 30, 2006
I have also seen lots of University graduates with 2:1 come for interview and those with 2:2 get the job. Mind you with no connectiont his time. it's all what you have got to offer.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 11:42am On Aug 30, 2006
it happens like that everywhere now in nigera, its not a new thing.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bueze(f): 11:54am On Aug 30, 2006
Dear all,
University or Polytechnic Graduate, it all depends on what you can offer (WHAT YOU HAVE GOT UPSTAIRS).
I once had a test and an Interview with over 200 University Graduates and Just 4 Polytechnic Graduates including myself.
And I can say proudly that we all scaled through the 1st stage to the 4th stage coming first on the list.
And the four of us were offered employment along with 7 seven University Graduates.
And not just that, the four of us were Federa Government Scholars (2 with DISTINCTION and the other 2 with UPPER CREDIT)
So also was the case of a friend who was once mistakenly invited to an interview thinking thinking she is a University Graduate and fortunately she scaled through all the stages topping the list and was noticed by the Panel at the Interview and was asked to leave. But she challenged them politely stating her facts and finally walked out. Few weeks later she was offered employment letter and now in UK Presently on a course.
I THINK IT'S TIME WE ALL FACE REALITY AND LET WHOEVER THE CAP FITS TO PUT IT ON.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 1:23pm On Aug 30, 2006
its not a new thing my brother; na stale news sef say HND holders do better than Bsc holders in tests and interviews. The obvious reason is that the polytechnic curriculum is richer, wider and more technical than the university curriculum. Polytechnics were established to do those things universities have not been able to do, to solve problems universities have not been able to solve and to invent things universities and their graduates have never thought of inventing. Try and get nigerian course curricula for a particular course, say Business Administration from NBTE and NUC, compare and contrast you will see why HND graduates excel or do better in tests and interviews than their Bsc counterparts. Polytechnic graduates are good.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by stregina(f): 4:36pm On Aug 30, 2006
i think being the best has little or nothing to do with certificate it has to do with what you have can offer, your level of comprtment and decorium. i finished from a polytechnic served with a commercial bank; and presently work in a bank.

Then when i wanted to do my service at this bank; this issue of (HND, BSC) stuff came up, but the area manager of the stae that i served argued this in my defence and at the end of the day i was offered the opportunity to serve while my other counterpart which was recommended by the Chairman of the Bank was dropped because she did not make the cut off piont.

i got a job ( i mean a well paying job ) with another bank without any affiliation to any god father or something. That was 6 months after my service.

The point i am trying to buttress here is that believe in yourself and don't allow any complex to set in to your life.

i always have this mentality that i am the best and can't settle for less and with this mentality, it propels me to put in my best on my job and also helped me to fight any discrimination.

Landing a good and juicy job have to do with you.

Thanks
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2006
Yeah but its safer you get an advanced degree or else you would just get to a stage where you would be stagnant.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by stregina(f): 5:14pm On Aug 30, 2006
you are right donny(sorry for not getting the name right). Getting additional qualification is applicable to everybody( i mean HND and BSC) i.e if you want to be relevant in any industry you find yourself.

prsently, iam running my MBA programme and at the same time writting ICAN exam (final stage).

If you want to survive in this country of ours; you need to update your CV or else one becomes irrelevant and redundant.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2006
Donmayor, everyone of us whether HND or Bsc holder needs a higher degree or professional qualification to excel. Stop saying it as if it is only HND graduates that need it. Infact the Bsc graduates need it more than the HND graduates to increase their skills on the job which the HND holders already posses. And secondly one of the problems HND holders had in Nigeria was the bar placed on them; thank God the bar has been removed and every one of us can rise up to the peak and zenith of his career with his or her HND or Bsc. But just as you said, it will be safer for every body (HND and Bsc holders) to get additional degrees and professional qualifications.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 7:28pm On Aug 30, 2006
Yeah HND holders are skilled and thats why they would always do the technical job and the Bsc holders that are theorist would supervise. Anyway we need to always upgrade our skills and it's not an issue of the Bsc needs it more. It's an issue of your job requirement and your aim. Based on people I have come across that have worked in multi national in Nigeria, inspite of the fact that those employed had masters, their promotion was limited. There was a point they could not exceed.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:29am On Aug 31, 2006
Donmayor, good point there. At the end of the day we all need each other to do our jobs effectively; how do you see it? In engineering , for example the job cannot start without an engineer, and the job cannot be completed without the technicians and technologists.
Men, its a great thing oo; Poly and uni graduates really need each other.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Christino(m): 10:51am On Aug 31, 2006
bueze:

I have also seen lots of University graduates with 2:1 come for interview and those with 2:2 get the job. Mind you with no connectiont his time. it's all what you have got to offer.

Frankies:

As far as i am concerned, What matters is God being for you. No matter what happens, whether you have B.sc or HND. Destiny is from God.

GOD GIVES SUCCESS.BE IT BSC OR HND.

Must people go to work in offices? How can you study for 5 years and you know your stuff and "get into MObil or die trying?"
What about people with B.Sc (third class)? Abeg, do something, put your time into something and before you know it, you'll be employing B.Sc graduates with first class sef. Haba.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Goshen360(m): 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2006
hey guys,

i really know that even the pioneers that made such nonsense law or what have u are educated illiterate themselves. they must have made that for a selfish reason which made are now suffering from. even most of the BSc holders have nothing in their upstairs.

May God help us in this country.

Any way, i guess the higher institution graduates shld beta concentrate on job creation reather than job seeking.

Stay kool.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ono(m): 4:57pm On Sep 01, 2006
This one is from ThisDay newspapers, today. It seems the coast will be clear for the Diploma folks soon.

Senate Considers Bill on Degree, HND Harmonisation

From Sufuyan Ojeifo in Abuja, 09.01.2006

The Senate has received a Bill for an Act to prevent discrimination against graduates and staff members of polytechnics and similar institutions in Nigeria in the areas of employment, promotion and career prospect.

The Bill, which was sponsored by Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Senator Joy Emordi and passed through first reading yesterday, has prescribed a five-year jail term for any person and/or corporate body who contravenes the provisions contained therein. Cited as “A Bill for Act to Provide for the Prevention of Discrimination against Graduates and Staff of Polytechnics and Similar Institutions in Nigeria and for other Matters Connected Therewith”, the sponsor said that when passed, it may be cited as “Polytechnic (prevention of Discrimination) Act, 2006. ''

The provisions of the bill, which is awaiting second reading in the Senate, under standards say:

“As from the commencement of this Act and subject to the provisions of the (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) Act, 1985, which provides responsibility for the establishment of standards in Polytechnics shall remain, vested in the Ministry of Education after consultation with the National Board for Technical Education”

On salaries, allowances, promotion of polytechnic graduates harmonisation, the Bill states, “Entry points of salary, allowance, promotion and career prospect of graduates and staff of polytechnics and similar institutions shall be harmonised with other graduates in all public, private and civil service”.

It furthers states that, “Subject to the provision of this Act, any government agency or private sector that discriminates against graduates and staff of polytechnics and similar institutions in terms of employment, promotion and career prospect, any person, corporate body who contravenes the provision of this Act shall be guilty of an offence punishable on conviction to a term of not less than five years or a fine of not less than N500,000 for individual firm and N1,000,000 for public organization and or both”.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Goshen360(m): 5:20pm On Sep 01, 2006
hey onos,

That's a brilliant response from u. The Senate just have 2 do something about the stuff cos their children will also suffer same ills if nothing is done, ,

Make them do am oooooooo, Me, i don go poly and now in university but am not looking for job oooooooooooooooooo.

thanks
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebudaya(m): 5:50pm On Sep 01, 2006
goshen360:

hey onos,

That's a brilliant response from u. The Senate just have 2 do something about the stuff because their children will also suffer same ills if nothing is done, ,

Make them do am oooooooo, Me, i don go poly and now in university but am not looking for job oooooooooooooooooo.

thanks

Their children are in British American and French Universities.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Goshen360(m): 5:58pm On Sep 01, 2006
HEY zebudaya,

u are rite my brother but they must do something or else their pikin pikin will face the consequence in future. Na wetin man pikin sow na eim man pkin go reap ooooooo.

i rest my case.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by eoelachi: 1:05am On Sep 02, 2006
Gentle men and ladies,the name of ur degree and class of degree does not really matter here.what matter is how u can use ur acquired knowledge to solve an existing problem.the discrimination btw hdn and bsc is a problem that should be solved.am not for or against any degree but how far ve u gone with urs?the country nigeria needs alot of solutions now,pls use ur knowledge 2 save us tru.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 10:06am On Sep 02, 2006
Tell them that "opon ti sun"

Senate Considers Bill on Degree, HND Harmonisation
From Sufuyan Ojeifo in Abuja, 09.01.2006

The Senate has received a Bill for an Act to prevent discrimination against graduates and staff members of polytechnics and similar institutions in Nigeria in the areas of employment, promotion and career prospect.
The Bill, which was sponsored by Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Senator Joy Emordi and passed through first reading yesterday, has prescribed a five-year jail term for any person and/or corporate body who contravenes the provisions contained therein.
Cited as “A Bill for Act to Provide for the Prevention of Discrimination against Graduates and Staff of Polytechnics and Similar Institutions in Nigeria and for other Matters Connected Therewith”, the sponsor said that when passed, it may be cited as “Polytechnic (prevention of Discrimination) Act, 2006.
The provisions of the bill, which is awaiting second reading in the Senate, under standards say: “As from the commencement of this Act and subject to the provisions of the (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) Act, 1985, which provides responsibility for the establishment of standard in Polytechnics shall remain, vested in the Ministry of Education after consultation with the National Board for Technical Education”
On salaries, allowances, promotion of polytechnic graduates harmonisation, the Bill states, “Entry points of salary, allowance, promotion and career prospect of graduates and staff of polytechnics and similar institutions shall be harmonised with other graduates in all public, private and civil service”.
It furthers states that, “Subject to the provision of this Act, any government agency or private sector that discriminates against graduates and staff of polytechnics and similar institutions in terms of employment, promotion and career prospect, any person.”

.”, corporate body who contravenes the provision of this Act shall be guilty of an offence punishable on conviction to a term of not less than five years or a fine of not less than N500,000 for individual firm and N1,000,000 for public organization and or both”.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Wumine(f): 11:32am On Sep 02, 2006
its unfair the way thet treat HND holders in nigeria. they are even better then BSC holders to me!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Wumine(f): 11:33am On Sep 02, 2006
its unfair the way thet treat HND holders in nigeria. they are even better than BSC holders to me!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 1:01pm On Sep 02, 2006
Wumine:

its unfair the way thet treat HND holders in nigeria. they are even better than BSC holders to me!
Wumine, nigerians will soon come to know that, when senate finally passes the bill on poly discrimination. Imagine, people no longer want their children to go to polytechnics again. But do you blame them?? after all nigeria and nigerians discrimate against people with polytechnic certificates. Thank God it is coming to an end already. Perhaps they should include giving priority to polytechnic graduates in their bill?? May be that will attract more intelligent people to the polytechnics; and the better for nigeria.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Lanny(m): 2:00pm On Sep 02, 2006
It's true that a BSC holder stands about 5 times chances of being invited for interview more than his HND counterpart and that's because of the warped view of some employers as well as the deplorable state the nation's economy is.
Well then,if HND holders can trump the uni chaps during interviews,I think we should cling to the sraw of assurrance that time we tell when we're given the chance to prove our mettles.I have an HND in Mass mm from The Poly,Ibadan,and I have a higgh prospect,Whether medium or senior manpower as mischiviouslysaid.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 7:25am On Sep 03, 2006
I am so restless at last we can sing a NEW SONG

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) / Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.