Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48550 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by needeeg(m): 1:05pm On Jan 05, 2007
ola_sky:

dear donmayor ,

i av read your so many contribution and i was force to check you profile and discover that u are just 20yrs old , i know quite well u are still writting jamb or u av just manage to get maybe 400 marks in jamb through "wayo way or whuruwuru to the ans"

Any hnd holder that can not perform is not performing because he can not perform , he will still not perform with 10 bsc combined. so if u are in a university right now all u need do is to read well rather than making noise about your bsc zoology that u are studying.

a word is enough for the wise ,
good advise man, so boy guess u hard this gentle man, just be good and fucos on ur so call zoology course, even proud off, abeg go sleep, no even proud of science course sef! grin
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2007
ola_sky:

dear donmayor ,

i av read your so many contribution and i was force to check you profile and discover that u are just 20yrs old , i know quite well u are still writting jamb or u av just manage to get maybe 400 marks in jamb through "wayo way or whuruwuru to the ans"

Any hnd holder that can not perform is not performing because he can not perform , he will still not perform with 10 bsc combined. so if u are in a university right now all u need do is to read well rather than making noise about your bsc zoology that u are studying.

a word is enough for the wise ,

My guy i appreciate your talk well well. You have spoken!! Zoology no be easy course sha and them dey easily get jobs for nigeria; atleast you can work in Jos wildlife park, PH zoo, Ibadan zoo or yankari game reserve. I can understand why you are trying to look down at nigerian polytechnics, simply because ZOOLOGY is only done in the university, ok o!!. Polytechnics don't need to run non-technical courses like ZOOLOGY any way. May God help you Donmayor.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by olasky1: 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2007
ishmael:

My guy i appreciate you talk well well. You have spoken!! Zoology no be easy course sha and them dey easily get jobs for nigeria; atleast you can work in Jos wildlife park, PH zoo, Ibadan zoo or yankari game reserve. I can understand why you are trying to look down at nigerian polytechnics, simply because ZOOLOGY is only done in the university, ok o!!. Polytechnics don't need to run non-technical courses like ZOOLOGY any way. May God help you Donmayor.

my guy ,

i may intrest you to know that am from ibadan and i leave in ph . the zoo in ui has few monkies and some bird . the port harcourt zoo is as good as non exietence so if u are targeting the two zoo , u are on ur own.

so what we are saying here is not bsc or hnd or the courses . it is all about what u are able to deliver. after all the polytechnic lecturers are university graduate so if the polytechnic student that is there product is substandard , it is either they (the lecturers are substsndards or the are from substandard university ) cos u can only give what u have.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:59am On Jan 08, 2007
In nigeria some Zoologists work in commercial banks, so he can be lucky to get a job with any of the commercial banks then.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 4:37pm On Jan 10, 2007
Nigeria is a country where people forget about their initial profession and jump into other professions just to make money. Some Doctors work in banks, chemists, quantity surveyors, engineers, physicists etc. work in banks as tellers. Tellering job can be done by even secondary school leavers. Is there anything professional about tellering? Why should people or professionals abandon their chosen careers to do the job of a teller?? Nigerians should wake up o.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by lanreade(m): 5:07pm On Jan 11, 2007
it is only god that can save this nation from the issue of hnd and bsc,i was at the polytechic for two years before i crossed over to the university via direct entry and with my level of assesments i discovered that the polytechnic students are still okay in terms of practcals.federal govt should find a lasting solution to this disparity of a thing.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by JAMESM1(m): 12:15pm On Jan 17, 2007
i hate people discriminating HND DEGREE(I NAME IT BECOS I HAVE ONE), IT MAKE NO SENSE TO DISCRIMINATE A CERTIFICATE FROM A SCHOOL APPROVED TO AWARD THIS CERTIFICATE, IN TERMS OF JOB, hnd HOLDERS ARE BEING SORT FOR PLS DON'T ALLOW ANYBODY TO MAKE U LOOK INFERIOR IT IS WHAT U HAVE UPSTAIR THAT MAKES U A PERSON NOT UR CERTIFICATE(DESTINY IS NOT BASE ON CERTIFICATE). THERE ARE ALSO PEOPLE WITH BSC WITHOUT JOB. ACTUALLY NIGERIA TODAY DEPEND ON THREE THINGS FOR EMPLOYMENT

GODFATHERISM
GODS FAVOUR
WHAT U CAN OFFER

SO KEEP QUIET!!

I HAVE AN HND I AM DOING FINE WITH IT.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2007
The Higher National Diploma (HND) as a programme in the country’s education system would cease to exist in a matter of months
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:03am On Jan 21, 2007
Yes Poly and HND will die together.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by mickyj269(m): 6:39am On Jan 22, 2007
My guy i feel ur pain, when i was in poly d discrimination was hell 2 d extent i had 2 seek 4 direct entry.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 11:19am On Jan 22, 2007
mickyj269:

My guy i feel your pain, when i was in poly d discrimination was hell to the extent i had 2 seek 4 direct entry.

Who is your GUY?, I do not have any Bachelors degree yet I am happy in life.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 11:41am On Jan 22, 2007
What will happen to already existing HND holders??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 2:03pm On Jan 22, 2007
Retroactive effect will handle that.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by LadyT(f): 2:14pm On Jan 22, 2007
Lets not be narrow minded here.  You dont even have to go to school to be sucessful in life.  Whats the point of amassing degress (like me  grin ) and it takes you nowhere.  The HND studied may make you into a millionaire.  Whereas you will have people with degrees working under you.  At the end of the day one must try their best at whatever they do.

Please people dont be stupid in thinking you are superior because you have Masters Phds and all that jazz,
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 10:50am On Feb 02, 2007
Four Ghanaian Polytechnics To Run Degree Programme

Four Polytechnics in Ghana are ready to start the Bachelor of Technology programme this year. The polytechnics are Ho, Kumasi, Takoradi and Accra. They have already submitted their curriculum and syllabus to the National Council for Tertiary Education and are awaiting for approval from the National Accreditation Board.

The President of the Ghana National Union of Polytechnic Students (GNPS), Mr Kwodwo Adjei, who disclosed this during a press conference in Accra, called on the government to expedite action on the proposal to enable the programme to take off as planned.

He also appealed to the government to put the necessary infrastructure in place to enable polytechnic graduates to pursue Masters and Doctorate degrees in Technology in the country.

According to him, this would bring relief to about 48,000 students who had passed through the Higher National Diploma (HND) system and were in dire need of furthering their education, as well as some 21,000 who were currently in the system and hoping to enter it in the future. “If the nation is to make any meaningful strive in development, it must place emphasis on polytechnic education”, he stressed.

He stated that PNDC Law 321, which established the HND Programme, clearly provided that the polytechnics would get to a level where they could run degree programmes. He continued that it was over 10 years now and so it was believed that the polytechnics were ready to take up that challenge.

He noted that the situation where holders of HND who wished to further their education at the country’s universities were made to start from level 100 amounted to a waste of resources. He said when HND holders from Ghana travel to places like the United States of America and Britain, they were made to do a top-up of three to six month-programmes to qualify them to do Masters of Technology.

Source: Daily Graphic http://www.graphicghana.info/article.asp?artid=9174
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:00pm On Feb 02, 2007
This is what we call educational reforms, not the nonsense some so-called policy makers are trying ot do in nigeria. That is why Ghana will always be better than nigeria. Let nigeria learn from Ghana please. Converting polytechnics to universities is not the best, it will kill our already-growing technology. Let polytechnics be allowed to remain on their own but be allowed to run BTech and MTech programmes in their own Technological way. HND-holder, i no understand you again o, are we still together??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 2:05pm On Feb 02, 2007
Polytechnic again? such was what Yetunde Karonwi told an HND holder who was asking somebody to obtain polytechnic form for survival in 1992.
Discrimination is equal to poly not HND, because till date some university do award Final Diploma  or HND etc without discriminations.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 4:24pm On Feb 02, 2007
ishmael:

HND-holder, i no understand you again o, are we still together??

We are together what HND join let no degree put assunder.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ukgold(m): 1:11am On Feb 03, 2007
well, i don't agreed with the few that says HND certificate is an embarrasment. to start with am a Poly graduate and I don't see myself as inferior. I went into the institution to be the best in whatever am studying. I have no regrets but my cries goes to the Policy makers who have allowed this "issue" become a fish bone in the neck of those who attended Polytechnic. I don't really know if the bill have been passed now equating Bsc with HND. who says Polytechnic graduate are not capable?another issue is that we have embrace the American system of education and not giving relevance to technical education which the Colonial Bobo's established. last year there was a move by some student to the Policy makers to espedite action as regards this HND and Bsc dichotomy and the end of the story was that is in the pipiline. my fellow comrades, i believe God will surely see some of us through in our endeavours and grant us good success inspite of the negligence on the past of,
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 12:51pm On Feb 03, 2007
How far?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:39am On Feb 05, 2007
Hnd-holder:

We are together what HND join let no degree put assunder.

Bros no one Degree can put assunder o!! even Masters and PhD cannot put assunder. How far with the bill on HND discrimination?? Have you heard anything??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 9:56am On Feb 05, 2007
Hot from NATE88ET76@YAHOO.COM
"The Nigeria Association of Technologists and Engineers (NATE) is a Professional Association of mainly Polytechnic Graduates in Engineering and Allied Professions. The Association, established in 1976 and Incorporated in 1988 is the only organized and registered body of Polytechnic Graduates in Nigeria. They have always been concerned and  mindful of the plight of HND holders .

The Association have made presentations on this matter to:
1. Federal Ministry of Education
2. Federal Ministry of Science and Technology
3. Federal Ministry of Establishment
4. Federal Ministry of Works
5. Federal Ministry of Justice.
And most importantly visit to Mr. President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo on more than one occasion.

the fact that HND and BSC are equivalent qualifications.
In the past, the Federal Government have set-up several commission among which are Chief C.A.E Longe commission 1990 and Justice Kalu Anyan commission 1999 for the  review of higher education in Nigeria.

The outstanding conclusion of this commission is that “The HND Curriculum was since enriched to supersede that of the Universities to meet the demand of higher technological manpower”. Recently, the Federal Government, in recognition of this outstanding conclusion decided to abrogate the ceiling placed on HND as part of the measure to eliminate the discrimination against them.

NATE on behalf of millions of HND holder in Nigeria welcome and embrace the consolidation of tertiary education as pronounced by the Federal Government in its totality. From what we have read in the Newspapers, the Federal Government has abrogated the HND qualification. This is in line with current trend, the world over as in UK and Ghana and it is commendable. "
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Veragar(f): 10:09am On Feb 06, 2007
To me I believe HND holders can still make it . Discrimination or not, as long as they seriously labour for their certificate and they are able to defend same.Its all about individual belief.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 10:47am On Oct 20, 2007
Do people still apply to go to polytechnics in nigeria??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by eoelachi: 4:36pm On Dec 03, 2007
eoelachi:

Gentle men and ladies,the name of your degree and class of degree does not really matter here.what matter is how u can use your acquired knowledge to solve an existing problem.the discrimination between hdn and bsc is a problem that should be solved.am not for or against any degree but how far ve u gone with urs?the country nigeria needs alot of solutions now,please use your knowledge 2 save us tru.

How true is this?that a 17 years old student of university of lagos duped a british woman of sixty million naira
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 11:56am On Dec 06, 2007
Wether HND or Bsc the most important thing is to be able to impress people by being innovative.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by soslast: 6:43pm On Dec 10, 2007
Hi,
I feel so sorry for HND holders in which am one. I am a contract staff with First Bank plc, I have been there for three years and just because I have 2-2 I could not be considered for staff.
I am given a task that requiered high level of competency and I cope very well. Its a nightmare for me but I have finished my post graduate and about to start NBA.
I a nutshell Nigeria ia a paper country and not your competence.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 8:37am On Dec 12, 2007
Hi,

I feel more sorry for HND holders in this country. Imagine after spending like 5 years in school, you come out to be seconded (contract/casual) to your mates that graduated from universities, honestly is dehumanizing, it makes you feel inferior naturally. And the gap in the remuneration is 95-5%. At times i wondered if it is not even better to go abroad and do meager job to earn that 5% than staying in your own country and be a slave.

At least people that are not silver spoon will have to gather some money to start something even at all you don't want to do this for long.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by shagger(m): 1:38pm On Dec 12, 2007
The beginning of problems for any HND holder is when self pity is allowed into someone's issue(that is what I would call salt upon injury), whatever you have be it HND or Bsc, what matters most is what you have made of yourself not waiting on some people that are not up to you to show you "selective" pity.
If world class organisations like Nestle foods, Schlumberger, First Bank Nigeria, Maersk Nigeria just to mention a few.My people you are all born great, pls don't allow some "Cabals" in politics play on our intelligience by making us argue endlessly on trivial issues like these, you and I were born with neither a Degree or HND, therefore it should never be a bone of contention, though government policy and the policy of some corporate bodies are not favourable but we must not wallow in self pity.
The system of education we operate 6-3-3-4 is an attempt by some people to make us waste so much time while we claim we are going to school.There is so much attached to this topic that we only need to have a very strong a solid belief in GOD and only GOD and then SELF believe.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2007
Yah! that is the word: believe in God and one self.

May God help this country.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 4:02pm On Dec 12, 2007
My own advice is that people should stop patronizing polytechnics; rather go to a university and get a Degree. HND is as good if not better than some of the Degrees, but who cares about that?? since nobody cares why not go and get a Degree and save yourself some stress. HND is a stressful qualification in Nigeria.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bunna(m): 2:18pm On Dec 13, 2007
WHAT IF SOMEONE DOES OND FOR 2YEARS AND TAKE DIRECT ENTRY TO THE UNIVERSITY FOR B.SC DEGREE
WONT THAT BE A GREAT IDEA OR IS TAT NOT POSSIBLE

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.