Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,822 members, 7,806,311 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48541 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2007
bunna:

WHAT IF SOMEONE DOES OND FOR 2YEARS AND TAKE DIRECT ENTRY TO THE UNIVERSITY FOR B.SC DEGREE
WONT THAT BE A GREAT IDEA OR IS TAT NOT POSSIBLE

Better. It's a good idea. After ur ND apply for DE and go to the university where u will graduate with a Bsc; thats all.

I tell you don't let anyone decieve you to go close to HND. Even in our houses parents and neighbours discriminate against HND holders; they give more pocket money and respect to kids in the universities than those in the polytechnics.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 4:19pm On Dec 13, 2007
"Even in our houses parents and neighbours discriminate against HND holders; they give more pocket money and respect to kids in the universities than those in the polytechnics."

hnmmmmmmm! angry angry lipsrsealed
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:54pm On Dec 13, 2007
@Ajike
if you are in doubt try and carryout a survey you will come to agree with me that most parents who have children in uni and poly tend to respect those in the uni more; and in terms of pocket money, project money and all that, the child in the university gets more than the one in poly. It may sound naive, but i tell you it's the truth.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 10:03am On Dec 14, 2007
Yoruba will say charity begins at home angry can u imagine if parents can do that to their children at home, how much more the society at large, may be we should not blame our govt again then.

Though our universities is already over floaded but people can still turn to oluwole for help. Atleast there is nobody on earth that want to settle for the least
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by tariqzplac(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2007
Hnd,2me is an advantage coz it gives u an opprtunity to hv an insight of a real working experience and it prepares u for the future n dats all we need and nt 4gettin being optimistic . COME ON FELLOW hND HOLDERS KEEP UR HEAD UP aiiiiiiighT.Nuttin dey happen, we will get there.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ayoade117: 1:21am On Dec 18, 2007
bro, if what is in my mind can be executed it will realy assist us. if feel polytechnic education should be abolished. what joy do you have going to school for four years ,go for your nysc and come bace home only to hear that you did not go to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    who is to blame? i guess the government.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by kelee: 9:02am On Dec 18, 2007
HND is very GOOD l could remeber that l use to writE EXAMINATION FOR ESUT PEOPLE.

WELL WELL WITH MY H.ND NOW I WENT FOR YOUTH SERVICE JUST LIKE UNI PEOPLE ALSO AM NOW WORKING IN A BETTER COMPANY WITH BETTER PAYMENT.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 10:31am On Dec 18, 2007
ayoade117:

bro, if what is in my mind can be executed it will realy assist us. if feel polytechnic education should be abolished. what joy do you have going to school for four years ,go for your nysc and come bace home only to hear that you did not go to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    who is to blame? i guess the government.

My guy i'm in the same school of thought with you. It should be abolished so that people wont go and waste their time there, only for them to be rejected by employers at the end of the day. The one that pains me most is the government; some government parastatals discriminate HND holders. What reason(s) have they given for not wanting HND to be given the same treatment as Bsc?? No body has ever come out to say any thing meaningful.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by akinalabi(m): 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2007
ishmael:

Even in our houses parents and neighbours discriminate against HND holders; they give more pocket money and respect to kids in the universities than those in the polytechnics.

Those must be very silly and ignorant parents.

Akin
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2007
@akinalabi
That is where d discrimination starts from (home), before it extends to the larger society.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 19, 2007
me i no go lie!
there's nothing like a university degree
ho ha!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by akinalabi(m): 12:26pm On Dec 19, 2007
ishmael:

@akinalabi
That is where d discrimination starts from (home), before it extends to the larger society.

I know. But it is silly.

bennygee:

me i no go lie!
there's nothing like a university degree
ho ha!

But what about those of us that do not have
any kind of degree?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by visitor29: 2:27pm On Dec 20, 2007
its like all of u have bad news,well i have good news for u guys cos i know dat HND in engineering is a hot cake , example in halliburton and sclumberger they take HND to be more serious dan B.Eng and i know my guys dat have HND,they have been growing from strenght to strenght, it all depends on ur luck and GOD
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by kelee: 8:33am On Dec 21, 2007
HND is very good lm working in a very good copany today with HND CERTIFICATR {oil company} so BSC or HND all is good it depend on you ability to know what you study.

you will get better work
GOOD DEY REMEMBER.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 12:26pm On Dec 27, 2007
hun! that is very few people among millions of HND graduates. My brother,can u just imagine the number of hnd graduates banks are making use now. In a branch you can only see may be one or two uni graduates who will head the branch and the rest are (contract staff) HND graduates. Even only their dressing will tell u who is a staff and who is not.

But what i don't understand is WHY is it like that, who brought that IDEA. Can't they just CLOSE DOWN all polytechnics for crying-out-loud. Let them safe some of our youth of the embarrassment. Abi how many of our polytechnics graduates find themselves in halliburton and sclumberger or any other oyinbo company
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 12:31pm On Dec 27, 2007
Infact, from all the previous post, we can clearly see that it is only foreign companies that doesn't discriminate btw B.Sc & HND
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by jmslimx(m): 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2007
Well Guys I give Praises to all polytechnic graduate ain't easy . For me i am a polytechnic drop out not due to cultism but due to finance at a particular time of my life.

Even as a drop out from HND1 i found my self going heights and Stepping on the so many BSc so called degree holders and we have the technical abilities and we read books unlike the bsc who just go through leafs other handouts.

Nigeria and so called Big men are major contributors to the down grade of polytechnics in Nigeria.

i wish all of us the best in our career BSC or HND

CHeers

Mean while i am looking for a job

Extensive experience and knowledge with Web based projects. Strong project management skills including the following: delivering projects on time and on/under budget ; finding efficiencies in projects to meet client budget or timing requirements without eroding quality; assessing detailed project requirements for vague or high-concept projects ; developing detailed work plans ; building rock solid and cohesive project teams quickly ; maintaining attention to detail and administrative tasks while juggling multiple projects ; managing change and risk pro actively ; facilitating meetings and conducting client or internal presentations.
Technical Skills Overview:
Platforms: Fedora Core 3, Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux, Gentoo Linux, Windows XP professional, Windows Advance Server 2003 on remote Desktop, Site Commerce Server 3.0 IIS.
Web Server: IIS and Apache
PHP, ASP, XML, Ajax, CSS, Js, MXML, XSLT, Flash, AS 2.0, Swish Max 9.0, web 2.0,Dhtml, Fireworks, and Corel Draw, Mobile Application with Flash lite and flash with Macromedia Flash, Use Most Macromedia products. MSQL Server, MySQL, Ms Access
Wireless Network Building , working with voice applications and configuring of most voice Ip phones and backed up by asterisk, ivm, 3xc

Please contact me for more details
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by sickyria(m): 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2007
Donmayor,na wa 4 u I am a Mass communication graduate Of Auchi polytechnic Auchi, I met a Bsc graduate from a state Uniersity in the East,mo fi oruko bo lasiri she is a 2-1 material the girl hand writing na hmm!, she majored in nothing, unlike my own school, where you either major in print or broadcast jourmnalism.We served in the same place during Nysc, I am not yabbing her but Donmayor need to be told this simple fact.I am sure he schooled in Lagos, worked his service to Lagos osr Abuja and He is even workjing in one of these two cities.Donmayor travel and seeeee.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by solumto: 5:04pm On Jan 03, 2008
i really am surprised at the level of discrimination the Nigerian system has against the HND graduands.It really should not be a yard stick whether ur a B.Sc or Hnd graduate ,rather the labour market should be seen as a level playing ground where appropriate perfomance indices should be used in appraising employees competence accordingly
Pls i appeal to all the HND'S redemption is going to catch up with you.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by solumto: 5:08pm On Jan 03, 2008
i really am surprised at the level of discrimination the Nigerian system has against the HND graduands.It really should not be a yard stick whether ur a B.Sc or Hnd graduate ,rather the labour market should be seen as a level playing ground where appropriate perfomance indices should be used in appraising employees competence accordingly
Pls i appeal to all the HND'S redemption is going to catch up with you.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by onikoyia(m): 5:16pm On Jan 03, 2008
yah ishmael you really spoke well,but you know wat we are very unfortunate to find ourself in this type of country so call nigeria thus lets kip praying i believe prayer change things,it change people and people change things,it is well amen,cheers
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:35pm On Jan 08, 2008
onikoyi_a:

yah ishmael you really spoke well,but you know what we are very unfortunate to find ourself in this type of country so call nigeria thus lets kip praying i believe prayer change things,it change people and people change things,it is well amen,cheers

Thanx. God will help all of us whether HND or Bsc. Abi God dey discriminate?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:19am On Jan 10, 2008
Let govt change the meaning of the "grin" in HND from Higher National Diploma to Higher National Degree; may be that one fit help holders of HND. I think it's the word Diploma that the society hate.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Ajike: 11:31am On Jan 10, 2008
ishmael, i really like your thinking, may be that is really where the hatred come from
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 11:51am On Jan 10, 2008
Ajike:

ishmael, i really like your thinking, may be that is really where the hatred come from

My brother that's the truth o. Nigerians like big big words. Degree looks big while Diploma looks small.

Look at the reforms Ghana just did. All Polytechnics are to award BTech Degrees. This is what we call educational reforms not the nonsense OBJ, his Education Minister and others did last year that eventually got cancelled by Yar'adua. Let Nigeria follow the foot steps of Ghana. See Ghana wey Nigeria dey look down at, their policy makers reason better than our own here in Nigeria.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by gbolahan85(m): 1:56pm On Jan 10, 2008
Do you know the brainbox behind the success of Guaranty Trust Bank is an HND holder to date. For your information ,his name is FOLA ADEOLA.It is in your mind that you stay limited,free yourself of the thought of Discrimination and you will be surprised at the result.my advise is that you acquire more relevant skills and make impact thru the numerous professional bodies. If our society gives us (HND HOLDERS) no opportunity to show what we can deliver,then we must make them yearn for our services by being relevant in todays career world.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
gbolahan85:

Do you know the brainbox behind the success of Guaranty Trust Bank is an HND holder to date. For your information ,his name is FOLA ADEOLA.It is in your mind that you stay limited,free yourself of the thought of Discrimination and you will be surprised at the result.my advise is that you acquire more relevant skills and make impact through the numerous professional bodies. If our society gives us (HND HOLDERS) no opportunity to show what we can deliver,then we must make them yearn for our services by being relevant in todays career world.

And then the same GT Bank does not believe in HND holders, and employ them as contract staff and not as regular staff of GT Bank. Why is like that please if HND made the bank to be what it is today??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by meshinoye(m): 5:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
IT IS NOT ABOUT HND, ITS ABOUT NIGERIAN MENTALITY. I'M HAVING HND, LOWER CREDIT AND I HAVE NEVER SPENT A DAY OUT OF JOB. MANUFACTURING COMPANIES CANNOT DO WITHOT HND HOLDERS. NOT EVERYONE WILL WORK IN A BANK.NO MATTER WHAT CERTIFICATE YOU HAVE, CERTIFICATE DOESN'T CERTIFIED ONE IN LIFE, ITS ONLY THROUGH THE GRACE OF GOD THAT MAKE ONE ACCELERATE IN LIFE. WHAT EVER QUALIFICATIONS YOU HOLD, JUST GIVE THANKS TO GOD.MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 6:51pm On Feb 11, 2008
HND and Bsc are equivalent in Nigeria. Who can tell us the difference, if there is??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 4:33pm On Feb 15, 2008
No Bsc holder has been able to come out and tell us why they feel Bsc is superior to the polytechnic HND. Anyway me no blame dem; na government me blame.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by allancasma: 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2008
[flash=200,200][/flash]
Its painful u know but I tell u, some of us a lucky to get ourselves fixed somewhere. Even with that, the ladder towards upstair shows all indications to buckle up. I think the best bet is to go for the Masters and try as much as possible to distinguish oneself as per proof of competency
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by yemmight(m): 11:33am On Feb 18, 2008
The problem is our Govt. Govt did not respond swiftyly early enough to the condemnation of the programme. If govt really appreciate it in the first place, they should have stopped it. I finished with HND and i am proud I did.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.