Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48552 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by mayoroflag(m): 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2008
I'm a HND holder with lower credit. I've done my research and the HND is considered a step below the BSc based on British and Scottish curricula from which we developed ours. In fact these days, British school insist that HND holders get a BSc top up (1 year programme) before proceeding for their Masters. However, you can give it to them their that the system works.

In Nigeria, there are several disparities and inequities, between polytechnics and universities, between states and the federally created institutions. The cause of all these rancour is that we do not place merit in the way we carry all policies in Nigeria. In America, some state universities rank among the top 200 in the world. In Africa, and especially in Nigeria, we like to arrogate to ourselves titles that we have not earned. If Nigeria was prosperous and was currently an employees' market, employers will not have the liver to make choices and will even go far to offer people of lesser qualification attractive career and education development programmes to keep them in the system. Unfortunately, states create polytechnics and universities too to appease their many indigenes who might not not ordinarily qualify to enter institutions of higher learning in the first place. How many states institutions can boast of any meaningful achievement with the exception of mainly business departments who have had to contend with ICAN, CIBN and CIS as levellers in determining educational superiority? In any case, what we discover is that more polytechnic graduates do better in professional exams and this might even interpret to mean that these might be victims of the quota system. In any case, it is regretful that in order to preserve the mediocre, lawmakers preferred to stay Ezekwesili's reforms. Even after 200 years, we will still have to reform if our education is to have any meaning, and if our country is going to be able to make use of education, literacy, technology, and human advances to better the lot of our country rather than using them as tools to phd ourselves.

God bless Nigeria
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2008
Nigeria and Uk are 2 different countries. UK HND is the 1st 2 years of a 3 yr Degree program. Nigeria HND is 5 years like BTech and BEng programs.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 24, 2008
mayoroflag:

I'm a HND holder with lower credit. I've done my research and the HND is considered a step below the BSc based on British and Scottish curricula from which we developed ours. In fact these days, British school insist that HND holders get a BSc top up (1 year programme) before proceeding for their Masters. However, you can give it to them their that the system works.

In Nigeria, there are several disparities and inequities, between polytechnics and universities, between states and the federally created institutions. The cause of all these rancour is that we do not place merit in the way we carry all policies in Nigeria. In America, some state universities rank among the top 200 in the world. In Africa, and especially in Nigeria, we like to arrogate to ourselves titles that we have not earned. If Nigeria was prosperous and was currently an employees' market, employers will not have the liver to make choices and will even go far to offer people of lesser qualification attractive career and education development programmes to keep them in the system. Unfortunately, states create polytechnics and universities too to appease their many indigenes who might not not ordinarily qualify to enter institutions of higher learning in the first place. How many states institutions can boast of any meaningful achievement with the exception of mainly business departments who have had to contend with ICAN, CIBN and CIS as levellers in determining educational superiority? In any case, what we discover is that more polytechnic graduates do better in professional exams and this might even interpret to mean that these might be victims of the quota system. In any case, it is regretful that in order to preserve the mediocre, lawmakers preferred to stay Ezekwesili's reforms. Even after 200 years, we will still have to reform if our education is to have any meaning, and if our country is going to be able to make use of education, literacy, technology, and human advances to better the lot of our country rather than using them as tools to phd ourselves.

God bless Nigeria

my thumb up for you, you said it all
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 10:29am On Sep 30, 2008
Some HND holders are even better than Bsc holder, but the society has made them to believe that they are inferior to Bsc holders. Until the day the name polytechnic is replaced with the name university, graduates from polytechnics irrespective of the Degree the are awarded will still face discrimination in Nigeria.
You cannot tell me that employers in Nigeria will employ a BTech graduate from polytechnic and leave out a BSc or BTech graduate from a university.

I learnt FG wants polytechnic to start running BTech programs, but in science and Technology courses only. Social sciences, management and Arts courses will be stopped according to them.

But i have a question to ask; why cant polytechnics award BTech degreees in a course like Accounting? after all some universities of Technology award Btech Degrees in Accounting?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by madee(m): 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2008
Guys, u ar all right. BSC ---HND.
I ve my HND some yrs ago and because of the discrimination i'm made to work in one of the Banks using my N.D.
I worked for 2 years but i had to quit the job and go back to school for my BSC.
So, fellow HND brother " if u cant bet them, pls. join them."
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2008
madee:

Guys, u ar all right. BSC ---HND.
I ve my HND some years ago and because of the discrimination i'm made to work in one of the Banks using my N.D.
I worked for 2 years but i had to quit the job and go back to school for my BSC.
So, fellow HND brother " if u can't bet them, please. join them."

what you did was the right thing. HND in Nigeria is looked down at; banks use them as contract staff and not full staff. in some cases you are employed with ND even when it's obvious that you have HND.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by joy2dworld: 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2008
i have read this post and i agree to a reasonable extent.
am an HND holder and work with a financial instition in Nigeria i had my promotion regularly and i know it is the grace of God that has put me here but i would want to say HND holders still have a Chance i have several friends who have HND too working in other financial institions ( even though they do not have additional qualifications yet)
so with God on your side, the sky is the limit.
i agree we HND holders need to improve on our qualifications so as not to be kicked aside but the ultimate is hard work and force on your goal
don't give up and God wont give up on you

good luck!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:25am On Oct 06, 2008
joy2dworld:

i have read this post and i agree to a reasonable extent.
am an HND holder and work with a financial instition in Nigeria i had my promotion regularly and i know it is the grace of God that has put me here but i would want to say HND holders still have a Chance i have several friends who have HND too working in other financial institions ( even though they do not have additional qualifications yet)
so with God on your side, the sky is the limit.
i agree we HND holders need to improve on our qualifications so as not to be kicked aside but the ultimate is[b] hard work [/b] and force on your goal
don't give up and God wont give up on you

good luck!!

Does that mean that all Bsc holders work harder than HND holders to be given more recognition and be placed ahead of HND holders ??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 12:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
it's still an embarrassment till today. a lot of pple with HND are really not happy with the way government and the society treat HND holders despite their skills.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bjralph: 1:52pm On Oct 06, 2009
I believe we know who we are and how competent we are, but i think if the government is not taking proper measures to align this issues, then i think the Polytechnic admins should take it up especially against any organization who refuses or discriminates HND holders cos it's against the rules of the government. Tnx!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2009
b_jralph:

I believe we know who we are and how competent we are, but i think if the government is not taking proper measures to align this issues, then i think the Polytechnic admins should take it up especially against any organization who refuses or discriminates HND holders cos[b] it's against the rules of the government.[/b] Tnx!

against which government?? if you must know it is even government ministries that discriminate against HND graduates the most. Forget about government jo.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bjralph: 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2009
In that case the polytechnic Amins should take it up cos sooner or later, pp will stop going to polys
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2009
To me it's stressful going to polytechnic or holding a polytechnic certificate. People should forget about that old fashioned school called poly where you learn a lot; lets all go to university since that is what the government want. what a misplaced priority on the side of the nigerian government.

1 Like

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by landos4rea: 7:42pm On Oct 06, 2009
HERE IS MY VIEW ON HND CERT. MY RECENT EXPERIENCE MADE ME UNDERSTAND THAT NO ESTABLISHMENT WHETHER PUBLIC OR PRIVATE WISH TO EMPLOY HND HOLDERS DUE TO REASONS BEST KNOW TO THEM. RECENTLY IN OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL RECRUITMENT, IT WAS HND HOLDERS THAT LED THE TEST RESULTS, ESPECIALLY FOR ACCOUNTS OFFICERS WHICH I LED WITH 70 PERCENT , BUT THE APPLICANT WITH LOWER, BSC WAS SELECTED FOR NEXT STAGE OF SELECTION. MY ADVISE IS THAT WE SHOULD BE PRAYERFUL FOR GOD INTERVENTION, ALSON WE SHOULD ACQUIRE HIGHER QUALIFICATION , MAY BE PROFESSIONAL OR ACADEMIC. COOOOOL
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bjralph: 8:30am On Oct 07, 2009
landos4rea, u r right. think Poly peeps should endeavor to add value to them self by taking a lot of professional certifications and not just stop at the HND thing.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 3:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
b_jralph:

landos4rea, u r right. think Poly peeps should endeavor to add value to them self by taking a lot of professional certifications and not just stop at the HND thing.

even after getting additional qualifications like pgd and some certifications, some organisations still remind you that you do not have a bsc degree; to them degree is the ultimate and it is first considered before any higher qualification or certification.
Beware!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by bjralph: 4:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
:-< God is in control peeps
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:02am On Oct 08, 2009
b_jralph:

:-< God is in control peeps

yes o, but until graduates of polytechnics start heading polytechnics there will always be discrimination. look at most rectors, HOD's , lecturers etc. in the polytechnics, they are all uni graduates.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by jackpot(f): 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2011
The best brains sought after University admission, while. . .*hey, someone help me complete this sentence* cool

1 Like

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Jaftee(m): 11:59am On Mar 05, 2013
MyPeace: i finished under the faculty of education. looking into the submission of Asby Commission, the purpose of Polytechnic education is to produce MIDDLE MANPOWER, while university produce SENIOR MANPOWER(if i still remember very well shaa, i stand to be corrected). Iam sorry for the discrimination having known that poly graudates even stay longer in school more than university and are better skill wise (technically).
But thats how Nigerian educational system has been set up right from inception, and i dont think it could be reversed. but it can, only if separate courses could be mapped for uni and poly.
bro, i am sorry to say u are not well informed on this issue. If Britain that we copied from, rate poly with university equal, in fact most industries that have production as their top priority prefere poly student in the UK. The main reason is to compliment each other. It is somehow stupid for education board to form two education system only to make one more (i dont know how ) better than the other when you can make all of them better. How can someone think like this.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Jaftee(m): 11:59am On Mar 05, 2013
MyPeace: i finished under the faculty of education. looking into the submission of Asby Commission, the purpose of Polytechnic education is to produce MIDDLE MANPOWER, while university produce SENIOR MANPOWER(if i still remember very well shaa, i stand to be corrected). Iam sorry for the discrimination having known that poly graudates even stay longer in school more than university and are better skill wise (technically).
But thats how Nigerian educational system has been set up right from inception, and i dont think it could be reversed. but it can, only if separate courses could be mapped for uni and poly.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by greatguru22: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2015
Lolz
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ttass: 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2015
wonders will never end! If u are a teacher and you are interested in teaching outside the country (Southern Africa) send an email to tolu.ogunjumo@gmail.com for more information. Renumeration is good!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by shirak: 10:34am On Jan 07, 2016
Guys, has anyone registered on Dangote's website in the recent time? pls how do I go abt the passport number coz i dont have international passport and it is a compulsory field

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP) / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.