Stats: 3,148,948 members, 7,803,116 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession (40552 Views)

Fake Medical Laboratory Scientist Sent To Jail / Laboratory Equipment Also Available / We Can Setup A Standard Medical Laboratory At Reduced Price (2) (3) (4)

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Kassidy90(m): 11:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
Very good write @OP or should i say chairman...
everything u said is nothing but the truth i pray this get to the right people that can do something about, and from my experience everything the OP said is so common in the east and some part of the west but thanks to Lagos State govt for setting up a particular agency (HEFAAMA) that deals with such things only if oher state can follow.....PRECISE DIAGNOSIS

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by zeezahbee(f): 11:35pm On Feb 09, 2015
Rich4god:
Virtually every profession is been raped in Nigeria... I once met a HOP in zenith bank... The lady has a degree in Yoruba and she is working in the bank... So op, just find one place relax...
True talk richgod, i keep saying it , Nigeria caused this BS. No one in USA will be saying this. Everyone should know their space. do yours , let me do mine.

Very soon, Doctors will start saying changing diapers, mopping the hospital floor and washing corpse at the morgue, sebi they taught them that one too cheesy

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by dumodust(m): 11:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
Sctests:

When you people make this statement i laugh. Automation is welcome with open arms, there are more 20,000 tests that can be run in a laboratory,
It will help reduce the Turn-around-time and give the Nigerian Medical lab Scientist time to venture into biomedical research and improve his professional fortunes among the health team, something currently enjoyed other health professionals except him. What we can not wish away is heavy workload in the laboratory.

Despite automation and advances in lab testing, more lab tests have been requested in the last 10 years than in all of the preceding 25 years put together. People are now very much aware about who does the testing, so they go directly given birth to direct access testing/ consumer-ordered tests. We also have Dieticians, Nutritionist, homeopaths, naturopaths and holistic practitioners helping people choose tests that could help them seek alternative cures. The demand is unprecedented, so my friend for at least the next 2 centuries, the demand will ensure that Medical lab Scientists continue to contribute to the health needs of people.

As for the suspension of MLS course in Nigeria, there is a clear Political undertone. Everyone knows Dr Ahmadu Alli is an NMA member and also the chairman of the NUC BOT. Even idiots can see the connection. MLSCN is empowered "to determine the level of knowledge it's practitioners must have before they can practice. Faculty of MLS is not an issues in civilized countries, why should it be so in Nigeria?
University of Minnesota has a Faculty of MLS. http://cahp.umn.edu/mls

Let me also bring it to your notice that Robotics and technology will also take it's toll your jobs too. Telemedicine, Da vinci surgical system and health informatics technology are the future of medicine. We'll be needing only fewer but efficient physicians in years to come. I'd be worried about that if i were you.

http://qz.com/193919/most-of-what-your-doctor-does-a-robot-can-do-better/

http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-surgery/da-vinci-surgical-system/

http://fortune.com/2012/12/04/technology-will-replace-80-of-what-doctors-do/

whenever a half knowledge quack misses his way and lands on nairaland, you will know. Stop discussing things you know nothing about. Urologists are at the forefront of using and developing the da vinci system and the last time i checked, its a surgeon that still controls and uses the arms of the robot to achieve magnification and precision in cutting and repair in other to avoid errors. Technology is welcome in medicine, we have always embraced it as far as it makes our work easier and will save lives but it can never replace the human brain and diagnosis is currently still deduced from the human brain and will forever be.
and what do you know about telemedicine and whatever? all of them are tools just like the robot, they were designed to make work easier. even if it results in employing less doctors, the patient care is the focus.
on the other hand, your fake course that is supposed to be hnd or ond are churning out quacks like rats... and they are all talking like you... because you bribed a few senators to sneak in an obnoxious act not seen any where else in the world, you think Nigerians are impressed with this your empowered to do this and that... thank God the NUC did their research properly and clamped down. the good health of the nigerian citizen is being defended daily against ursurpers like you and some things cant just exist only in Nigeria. in the end, you cant just over emphasize the value of a waec certificate in sieving people to their rightful positions. This build up to the election has been so insightful grin
the microbiologists, biochemists etc with lab skill are employed all over the world working in research labs as assistants etc... so stop ranting about rape here... na una dey sodomize una selves grin

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by spacefreak: 11:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
nationwide1:
Meaning you either didn't get me clearly or you wanted to interpret me in the way that best suits you. There are many cases a doctor can diagnose 100% through history and medical examination without laboratory investigation. However, medical laboratory science is very important in medical practice.

I am happy you acknowledge the importance of lab scientists. I am always eager to learn, could you please list such diseases? I think I am ignorant of them.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Uncleodi(m): 12:01am On Feb 10, 2015
Nice post! Very educative.
My point is that Doctors don't depend on lab to make diagnosis. They only depend on them 30% of the time to confirm their provisional diagnosis.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nationwide1(m): 12:01am On Feb 10, 2015
spacefreak:

I am happy you acknowledge the importance of lab scientists. I am always eager to learn, could you please list such diseases? I think I am ignorant of them.
The following diseases can be diagnosed 100% without laboratory investigation: Rabies, Asthma, Herpes Zoster, Duchenne dystrophy, Gullain Barre Syndrome, CVA.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Shehuroj: 12:10am On Feb 10, 2015
Second: On the issue if allowing other life science courses from practicing in the medical laboratories is not only a rape on the profession but abomination. There is nowhere in the world where such is being practised. There is no medical profession that takes those life science courses as a registered/licensed member of their profession. While didn't they go to medicine or pharmacy and seek for admission into 300 level, or for a 2/3 years course to become a medical doctor? If that is not allowed in those courses, why MLS should be different?
Without proper diagnosis of disease, treatment may cause more harm than the cause of visiting hospital. So those interested in practising Medical Laboratory Science should go and start from 100 level till internship level.
Third: Concerning the NUC issue, you got it wrong. It is not only the MLS that is having that problem, pharmacy is also having same issue. NUC lead by a medical doctor stopped both courses because they are issuing two parallel certificate (D. MLS and D. Pharm). The NUC chairman didn't raise any eye brow when it was only pharmacy, but did when MLS join them.
My fellow Nigerians, let's help ourselves by calling those in quackery (Doctors and life science) practise to other because their next client/patient may be you or your dare relative.
prevention they said it is better than cure!
MLS solve the problem your doctor don't know solution to.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Jeflox: 12:12am On Feb 10, 2015
INDEED I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY NIGERIA IS. EVERYTHING IS JUST MOVING DISORDERLY WITH NOBODY DIRECTING THEM TO MOVE ARIGHT. TALKING ABOUT OUR HEALTH SECTOR....POLITICS HAVE EATEN DEEP INTO HEALTH SECTOR THAT THE EFFECT IS VERY MUCH TELLING ON THE POOR PATIENTS IN ALL NIGERIAN HOSPITALS. WHAT ARE THESE POLITICS GOING ON ALWAYS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND OTHER HEALTH WORKERS ESPECIALLY MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTISTS. THOUGH AM A BARRISTER BUT I REMEMBERED VIVIDLY WHEN THE FIGHT WAS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND PHARMACISTS, DOCTORS AND NURSES, DOCTORS AND RADIOGRAPHERS, DOCTORS AND PHYSIOTHERAPISTS, NOW IT'S DOCTORS AND MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTISTS. WHY CAN'T ACTUALLY NIGERIAN DOCTORS FACE THEIR WORK WITHOUT THIS THEIR CONSTANT FIGHT WITH OTHER HEALTH WORKERS. THE TRUTH SHOULD BE TOLD PLS, WHAT ARE THE PATHOLOGISTS CLAIMING THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT LABORATORY ANALYSIS THAN THE MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST THAT JUST SPENT 5YEARS +1 READING ONLY THE COURSE AND U THAT MIGHT HAVE DONE IT AS A CRASH PROGRAM FOR PROBABLY ONE YEAR WANT TO GO AND HEAD THEM. SINCE I HAVE KNOWN DOCTORS.....IT'S BEEN ALL ABOUT HEADING THIS PEOPLE AND HEADING THAT PEOPLE. I SEE POMPOSITY IN OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS WHEN MANY OF THEM ACTUALLY NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL....HAVE MET ONE DIAGNOSING ME LOOKING AT TEXTBOOK. I AM DIRECTLY TALKING TO OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS .....REDUCE UR EGO, I THINK THAT IS UR PROBLEM. SINCE U HAVE UR DEPARTMENT, PLS HEAD IT AND LEAVE OTHER HEALTH WORKERS TO DO THEIR JOB PLZ. THE MAIN CHAIN OF HOSPITAL CONSULTATION SHOULD WORK IN HARMONY: DOCTOR - NURSE- PHARMACIST- MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST. THE FIGHT BETWEEN THE PATHOLOGIST AND MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST MAKES IT LOOK AS IF PATHOLOGISTS ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THEIR JOB DISCRIPTION.....BCOZ I CANT IMAGINE WHY A PATHOLOGIST IS TRYING TO RUN A TEST HE HAS NO KNOWLEDGE
ABOUT. IF THEY ARE PAYING A DOCTOR, 400K, LET THEM PAY A MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST 300K, SINCE THE MONEY IS NOT COMING FROM ANY OF U BUT IT'S OUR NAIJA MONEY. BOTH GROUPS ARE TRYING.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Onyiridike(f): 12:14am On Feb 10, 2015
Sctests:

You are not intelligent, does Biology and Chemistry mean the same thing as Biochemistry?. Unlike some of you i respect other professions.
But a universal principle says that ethical issues are involved in Medical testing, that's why only a specialized group of professional equipped with the fundamental and basic medical background must practice it. If you drag a physician to court in the U.S, the American Medical Association will be very much involved, if drag a Clinical lab scientist to court, The American Society for Clinical Lab Scientists will be involved.

In Nigeria, the NMA will defend their members, the AMLSN will defend their members too as they are recognized as health professional groups.
Who comes to your rescue when you send out that poorly cross-matched blood and the patient dies of transfusion reaction? Institute of Science Lab Technologists?. They won't help,they'll stay off, I assure you

It is this misconception that make lecturers from basic medical science background (Biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy) fail you people.

You have been brainwashed and yet your brain is not clean enough to understand the relevance of other disciplines.

You talk as if laboratories only exist in the hospital.

Do you think you are more relevant than a Biochemist in Research Institutes concerned with carrying out research and production of Biochemicals such as enzymes, hormone synthesis, fructose, aspartame, among others.

Biochemists, microbiologists and chemists work as quality control anylysts in manufacturing industries and their roles are regulated by NAFDAC and SON.

In developed countries, you are NOTas relevant as a Biochemist when it comes to forensic medicine used in crime detection, DNA sequence analysis, and finger printing.

Have you ever been to a genetic engineering laboratory where Biochemists and molecular biologists perform wonders by manipulating genes.

Do you know the role of mass spectroscopy in drug design?

Continue with your pregnancy test, genotype, blood group and other routine hospital lab. work and never stop deceiving yourself that laboratory is your natural habitat.

16 Likes

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Iyowuski: 12:24am On Feb 10, 2015
RicKyRichards:
Isn't rape a bit of a controversial word? Tone it down abeg.
him wan tell us say him read dictionary
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Sctests: 12:27am On Feb 10, 2015
dumodust:

whenever a half knowledge quack misses his way and lands on nairaland, you will know. Stop discussing things you know nothing about. Urologists are at the forefront of using and developing the da vinci system and the last time i checked, its a surgeon that still controls and uses the arms of the robot to achieve magnification and precision in cutting and repair in other to avoid errors. Technology is welcome in medicine, we have always embraced it as far as it makes our work easier and will save lives but it can never replace the human brain and diagnosis is currently still deduced from the human brain and will forever be.
and what do you know about telemedicine and whatever? all of them are tools just like the robot, they were designed to make work easier. [size=15pt]even if it results in employing less doctors, the patient care is the focus[/size].
on the other hand, your fake course that is supposed to be hnd or ond are churning out quacks like rats... and they are all talking like you... because you bribed a few senators to sneak in an obnoxious act not seen any where else in the world, you think Nigerians are impressed with this your empowered to do this and that... thank God the NUC did their research properly and clamped down. the good health of the nigerian citizen is being defended daily against ursurpers like you and some things cant just exist only in Nigeria. in the end, you cant just over emphasize the value of a waec certificate in sieving people to their rightful positions. This build up to the election has been so insightful grin
the microbiologists, biochemists etc with lab skill are employed all over the world working in research labs as assistants etc... so stop ranting about rape here... na una dey sodomize una selves grin

These people.... grin
But I take consolation in the fact that you agreed with the bolded. In technology you do more with less.

You see some of you wake up and make loads of noise on this website but in reality you are empty in the skull. A friend from india once told me that in Nigeria there are more butchers in wardcoats than real physicians-but they all have M.B.B.S. If the Nigerian patients know a fraction of their rights many of you would have either stopped practicing and probably go into nollywood, juju music or something. So stop singing the "we-are-fighting-for-the-patient", especially when you want more pay. The patient knows you don't give a fart about him, but sometimes he's not educated enough to know he can send you to jail, when you harm him with your cluelessness and carelessness. He also knows you have no business running his medical tests, recent events in the health sector have enlightened him. grin

Your noise about not recognizing MLS, starts in your bedroom and ends in your bathroom, the Law is more important that everything you represent. When your mass of flesh decays... whenever it wishes to, the law will still be standing aloof, Gerrit?
You say senators were bribed to enact law that has ensured improvement in our Medical Laboratories? our battle ground against HIV and TB? and saved lives? LWKMD, You should consider going part-time in clowning. It could bring in more bucks who knows?. How much were Scientists earning at that time to be able to bribe Senators?.
Is this how NMA bribes senators so they can regulate the native doctors practicing Traditional medicine? grin

My history book teaches me that your pathologists always dissociated themselves from the labs when a patient dies and fingers are pointed towards it. Nigerians sat in Abuja, and decided to make a law regulate it and ensure standards, and in their wisdom gave the mantle of leadership to the "Lab guy" who does all the tests and gets all the blames. Your irresponsible pathologists went home and only came when the Scientists have worked so hard to clean up our national medical laboratories to compete with international standards, and make it respectable. Why should you reap where you have not sowed?

NUC is a generalized regulatory body, they can not effectively regulate specialized courses without special inputs from PCN, MDCN, MLSCN, Nursing council. Your physician NUC BOT chairman will not be their forever. Our LAWS will outlive him.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Uncleodi(m): 12:29am On Feb 10, 2015
spacefreak:

1. UTI
2. Malaria
3. Pregnancy
4. Typhoid
5. Anaemia
6. Sepsis
7. Ureamia
8. Hepatitis
9. Immunosuppression
10. Renal failure
11. Heart failure
12. Eclampsia
13. Neonatal tetanus
14. Sickle cell disease
15. Schizophrenia
16. Lymphoma
17. Ca P
18. Increased ICP
19. Fracture
20. Labour
21. Meningitis
22. Pneumonia
23. Helminthiasis
24. PID
25. Ectopic preg
26. Multiple myeloma. Dont ask me how
27. Diarrhoea
28. Stroke
29. Asthma
30. Osteomyelitis
100. Diabetes

With a good knowledge of Pathologic basis of diseases, any doctor in the rural area can make accurate diagnosis without needing a Lab test for mere confirmatory purposes.

MLS is over rated if I may say. They don't make diagnosis for doctors. Nah! Rather the doctor can use his clinical skill to manage his patients without mortality.

This explains why more doctors are employed than MLS in any hospital.

U can imagine when u have serious emergency as a doctor and u keep waiting for the MLS or technician to run samples for u without starting some treatments for the patient. Hmmm that would be disastrous.

Abeg, make I sleep. This my auto check just de spoil my spellings.

We all need each other in the medical field and not all these hatred.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Sctests: 12:51am On Feb 10, 2015
Onyiridike:

It is this misconception that make lecturers from basic medical science background (Biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy) fail you people.

You have been brainwashed and yet your brain is not clean enough to understand the relevance of other disciplines.

You talk as if laboratories only exist in the hospital.

Do you think you are more relevant than a Biochemist in Research Institutes concerned with carrying out research and production of Biochemicals such as enzymes, hormone synthesis, fructose, aspartame, among others.

Biochemists, microbiologists and chemists work as quality control anylysts in manufacturing industries and their roles are regulated by NAFDAC and SON.

In developed countries, you are NOTas relevant as a Biochemist when it comes to forensic medicine used in crime detection, DNA sequence analysis, and finger printing.

Have you ever been to a genetic engineering laboratory where Biochemists and molecular biologists perform wonders by manipulating genes.

Do you know the role of mass spectroscopy in drug design?

Continue with your pregnancy test, genotype, blood group and other routine hospital lab. work and never stop deceiving yourself that laboratory is your natural habitat.

Madam, we are saying the same thing, if you read my initial posts with an open mind you would have seen where i said your life science discipline is relevant in Academic research while MLS holds the ace in Lab. diagnosis. The lab is also your habitat if there are only experiments to carry out but if a patient's sample comes in, you'll have to let me handle that. It is my Job specification.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by daisyella: 1:13am On Feb 10, 2015
The problem with these med lab scientists is they want to be even more recognised than d doctors. why would a med lab scientist be prescribing drugs. is he/she a doctor? angry
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Nobody: 1:25am On Feb 10, 2015
NWANICHODE:
Who has time to read this long story when you have nothing to offer.

Your intelligence is slightly higher than a Camels.

I'm pretty sure that you can find your way to the latest Tiwa Sewage thread.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by armadeo(m): 1:56am On Feb 10, 2015
olympus121:
I've heard so much abt this wahala in d health sector. My brother is a Doctor and he often tells me about these problems and honestly told me that d Doctors are just heading every departments in the hospital even where they hav no experience about. It's so wrong to hav a doctor heading d engineering department or Physiotherapy department where he has no single knowledge about. Nigeria has to enact laws to show clear definition of jobs especially in a multiprofessional sector like Health. Doctors dnt knw other people's profession enof to head dem, it's more like imperialism. Thank God I'm not in such a crazy environment.

your brother has deceived everyone in your family.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by armadeo(m): 2:05am On Feb 10, 2015
Jeflox:
INDEED I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY NIGERIA IS. EVERYTHING IS JUST MOVING DISORDERLY WITH NOBODY DIRECTING THEM TO MOVE ARIGHT. TALKING ABOUT OUR HEALTH SECTOR....POLITICS HAVE EATEN DEEP INTO HEALTH SECTOR THAT THE EFFECT IS VERY MUCH TELLING ON THE POOR PATIENTS IN ALL NIGERIAN HOSPITALS. WHAT ARE THESE POLITICS GOING ON ALWAYS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND OTHER HEALTH WORKERS ESPECIALLY MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTISTS. THOUGH AM A BARRISTER BUT I REMEMBERED VIVIDLY WHEN THE FIGHT WAS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND PHARMACISTS, DOCTORS AND NURSES, DOCTORS AND RADIOGRAPHERS, DOCTORS AND PHYSIOTHERAPISTS, NOW IT'S DOCTORS AND MEDICAL LAB. [/b]SCIENTISTS. WHY CAN'T ACTUALLY NIGERIAN DOCTORS FACE THEIR WORK WITHOUT THIS THEIR CONSTANT FIGHT WITH OTHER HEALTH WORKERS. [b]THE TRUTH SHOULD BE TOLD PLS, WHAT ARE THE PATHOLOGISTS CLAIMING THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT LABORATORY ANALYSIS THAN THE MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST THAT JUST SPENT 5YEARS +1 READING ONLY THE COURSE AND U THAT MIGHT HAVE DONE IT AS A CRASH PROGRAM FOR PROBABLY ONE YEAR WANT TO GO AND HEAD THEM. SINCE I HAVE KNOWN DOCTORS.....IT'S BEEN ALL ABOUT HEADING THIS PEOPLE AND HEADING THAT PEOPLE. I SEE POMPOSITY IN OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS WHEN MANY OF THEM ACTUALLY NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL....HAVE MET ONE DIAGNOSING ME LOOKING AT TEXTBOOK. [/b]I AM DIRECTLY TALKING TO OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS .....REDUCE UR EGO, I THINK THAT IS UR PROBLEM. SINCE U HAVE UR DEPARTMENT, PLS HEAD IT AND LEAVE OTHER HEALTH WORKERS TO DO THEIR JOB PLZ. THE MAIN CHAIN OF HOSPITAL CONSULTATION SHOULD WORK IN HARMONY: DOCTOR - NURSE- PHARMACIST- MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST. [b] THE FIGHT BETWEEN THE PATHOLOGIST AND MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST MAKES IT LOOK AS IF PATHOLOGISTS ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THEIR JOB DISCRIPTION.....BCOZ I CANT IMAGINE WHY A PATHOLOGIST IS TRYING TO RUN A TEST HE HAS NO KNOWLEDGE
ABOUT. IF THEY ARE PAYING A DOCTOR, 400K, LET THEM PAY A MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST 300K, SINCE THE MONEY IS NOT COMING FROM ANY OF U BUT IT'S OUR NAIJA MONEY. BOTH GROUPS ARE TRYING.

first things first this thtread was opened by a mls. nobody is fighting him he is here claiming rape.

obviously you have no idea who a certified pathologist is, do you honestly think hes a Dr who just graduated. you need minimum of 5 years post NYSC to become a pathologist. the pathologist knows his job.

honestly speaking i would rather anyone having anything to do with me consult his favoured text and be sure of what he is doing than have him throw guess work at me. different strokes i guess.

nobody said anything about pay, you brought it up, so is that the real problem here?

Barrister!!!

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by 36STATES: 2:51am On Feb 10, 2015
nobilis:

Diagnosis starts before the lab. Not in, or after the lab.

Secondly, a pathologist is always in charge of laboratories anywhere in the world. It is not encroachment, it is how things ought to be. Until Medical Laboratory Scientists in Nigeria learn to humble themselves and work in conjunction with the pathologists, they will always feel cheated and raped.

Know your position in a place and gladly and proudly occupy it. That's the best way to gain pride and recognition for your profession.

Real bushman.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by yetseyi(f): 2:53am On Feb 10, 2015
Hmm I m not a doctor neither am I a lab scientist but some statements I read here are appalling.

I thought the lab was used to confirm a doctors 'suspicion', with the list of illnesses I see someone is claiming does not need a confirmatory test for accurate diagnosis one begins to wonder.

Doctors can be wrong too and i believe thats why there should be a confirmation from the laboratory.

Now I am beginning to understand why almost every form of fever is almost always regraded as malaria and thyphoid.

There is a reason why there are laboratories.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Oduduwaboy(m): 3:02am On Feb 10, 2015
otokx:
Are you guys tired of striking? I hear NUC has issues with this course which ought to have been purely HND/OND paroles. Water will always find its level.
Medical laboratory work is a middle-level manpower profession according to the original scheme of service in the civil service . Now every rat wanna be independent !
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Jonwesley(m): 3:09am On Feb 10, 2015
OP, there is also a question I have. The Nigeria Institute of Science Lab Tech (NISLT) and Nigeria Medical Lab Science (NMLS) by operation, which is better recognised? Tell me why the Medical Lab separated themselves from NISLT, or is the Medical Lab a separate science that can't be under the umbrella of NISLT? Just enlighten me on this dichotomy please.
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nobilis: 4:24am On Feb 10, 2015
Sctests:

When you people make this statement i laugh. Automation is welcome with open arms, there are more 20,000 tests that can be run in a laboratory,
It will help reduce the Turn-around-time and give the Nigerian Medical lab Scientist time to venture into biomedical research and improve his professional fortunes among the health team, something currently enjoyed other health professionals except him. What we can not wish away is heavy workload in the laboratory.

Despite automation and advances in lab testing, more lab tests have been requested in the last 10 years than in all of the preceding 25 years put together. People are now very much aware about who does the testing, so they go directly to lab collection centers, these have given birth to direct access testing/ consumer-ordered tests. We also have Dieticians, Nutritionists, homeopaths, naturopaths and holistic practitioners helping people choose tests that could help them seek alternative cures. The demand is unprecedented, so my friend for at least the next 2 centuries, the demand will ensure that Medical lab Scientists continue to contribute to the health needs of people.

As for the suspension of MLS course in Nigeria, there is a clear Political undertone. Everyone knows Dr Ahmadu Alli is an NMA member and also the chairman of the NUC BOT. Even idiots can see the connection. MLSCN is empowered "to determine the level of knowledge it's practitioners must have before they can practice. Faculty of MLS is not an issues in civilized countries, why should it be so in Nigeria?
University of Minnesota has a Faculty of MLS. http://cahp.umn.edu/mls

Let me also bring it to your notice that Robotics and technology will also take it's chunk of your jobs too. Telemedicine, Da vinci surgical system and health informatics technology are the future of medicine. We'll be needing only fewer but efficient physicians in years to come. I'd be worried about that if i were you.

http://qz.com/193919/most-of-what-your-doctor-does-a-robot-can-do-better/

http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-surgery/da-vinci-surgical-system/

http://fortune.com/2012/12/04/technology-will-replace-80-of-what-doctors-do/

Yes. Nobody is doubting what robotics can do.

But if you go through most of my former posts about such topics as this, you'll discover that I've always maintained one point: everybody is important in the health industry. Every worker is needed because everyone's contribution is needed for the betterment of the patient's health condition.

Now, when people start getting dissatisfied with the roles they are playing in a particular setting and decide on their own that they feel they can and should start doing the work of the other party, what then do you expect but chaos?

For example, is it not laughable that this monstrosity called JOHESU was born out of the need to just vanquish the doctor who you guys always see as arrogant and as a threat to your career? Apart from vanquishing the doctor, tell me, what is the professional connection between a laboratory scientist and a security man? What is the professional relationship between a pharmacist and a janitor?

Also tell yourself the truth, when finally JOHESU is granted their desire of being C.M.D.'s and ministers, will a pharmacist allow a hospital janitor to become a chief medical director, afterall both of them work in the hospital? Will a lab scientist allow a hospital security man to be appointed a health minister, afterall both are employed in the health sector?

There is a reason there is an order of how things are to be done in every particular setting. It is only greed that gives birth to most of these agitations. I daresay that those people who are at the forefront of the fight to vanquish doctors are mainly those who failed out of medical school and were forced to study other health-related courses. They saw it as a slight on their person and what makes it worse for them is when they see their former classmates possibly "telling them what to do". It darkens their minds with hate and regret and they began to poison the minds of other workers in those fields. (I stand to be corrected, though)

One thing you must know is that nobody will allow another person to come and usurp his position, at least without a fight.

U guys say doctors are stifling your careers. But I also heard that it was MLS people that gunned for the suspension of the program that produced lab technicians cos u guys were afraid of becoming irrelevant. (I still stand to be corrected)

As for the NUC issue, I dare ask, since you say it was a doctor's handwork, why wasn't nursing science suspended as well? Why wasn't physiotherapy, pharmacy, radiography, dental technology and so on, suspended? Why was MLS alone suspended? I think you should really try to discover the reason and not stay here and speculate and curse doctors in your mind.

On a final note, no matter what you do or say, you are my colleague. You are my brother in the medical field. Without you my work will be irrelevant; without me your work will be irrelevant. That is the bottomline of the whole issue. So it is either we unite and help our different career paths grow or we keep fighting each other and kill off each other while the patient suffers.
Ciao.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nobilis: 4:29am On Feb 10, 2015
36STATES:

Real bushman.

I'm a real bushman?
Tell me what I've said that makes u call me a bushman.
Or you feel it is your right to hurl insults at anybody for daring to hold opinions different than yours?

Very poor attitude.
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nobilis: 4:41am On Feb 10, 2015
Jeflox:
INDEED I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY NIGERIA IS. EVERYTHING IS JUST MOVING DISORDERLY WITH NOBODY DIRECTING THEM TO MOVE ARIGHT. TALKING ABOUT OUR HEALTH SECTOR....POLITICS HAVE EATEN DEEP INTO HEALTH SECTOR THAT THE EFFECT IS VERY MUCH TELLING ON THE POOR PATIENTS IN ALL NIGERIAN HOSPITALS. WHAT ARE THESE POLITICS GOING ON ALWAYS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND OTHER HEALTH WORKERS ESPECIALLY MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTISTS. THOUGH AM A BARRISTER BUT I REMEMBERED VIVIDLY WHEN THE FIGHT WAS BETWEEN DOCTORS AND PHARMACISTS, DOCTORS AND NURSES, DOCTORS AND RADIOGRAPHERS, DOCTORS AND PHYSIOTHERAPISTS, NOW IT'S DOCTORS AND MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTISTS. WHY CAN'T ACTUALLY NIGERIAN DOCTORS FACE THEIR WORK WITHOUT THIS THEIR CONSTANT FIGHT WITH OTHER HEALTH WORKERS. THE TRUTH SHOULD BE TOLD PLS, WHAT ARE THE PATHOLOGISTS CLAIMING THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT LABORATORY ANALYSIS THAN THE MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST THAT JUST SPENT 5YEARS +1 READING ONLY THE COURSE AND U THAT MIGHT HAVE DONE IT AS A CRASH PROGRAM FOR PROBABLY ONE YEAR WANT TO GO AND HEAD THEM. SINCE I HAVE KNOWN DOCTORS.....IT'S BEEN ALL ABOUT HEADING THIS PEOPLE AND HEADING THAT PEOPLE. I SEE POMPOSITY IN OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS WHEN MANY OF THEM ACTUALLY NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL....HAVE MET ONE DIAGNOSING ME LOOKING AT TEXTBOOK. I AM DIRECTLY TALKING TO OUR NIGERIAN DOCTORS .....REDUCE UR EGO, I THINK THAT IS UR PROBLEM. SINCE U HAVE UR DEPARTMENT, PLS HEAD IT AND LEAVE OTHER HEALTH WORKERS TO DO THEIR JOB PLZ. THE MAIN CHAIN OF HOSPITAL CONSULTATION SHOULD WORK IN HARMONY: DOCTOR - NURSE- PHARMACIST- MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST. THE FIGHT BETWEEN THE PATHOLOGIST AND MEDICAL LAB. SCIENTIST MAKES IT LOOK AS IF PATHOLOGISTS ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THEIR JOB DISCRIPTION.....BCOZ I CANT IMAGINE WHY A PATHOLOGIST IS TRYING TO RUN A TEST HE HAS NO KNOWLEDGE

I'm sorry to say this but this is just a display of gross ignorance.

So according to you someone becomes a pathologist after spending 5+1 years (as u put it) in medical school.
Need I say more?
But I felt that for someone who claims to be educated and a barrister for that matter (I'm sorry to say but I'm highly disappointed at the level of ignorance being displayed by a so-called learned fellow), you would have gone ahead to find out what it takes for someone to become a certified specialist in pathology instead of making statements that expose your ignorance on a colossal scale.

A person doesn't even become a public health physician (which is, by many standards, the simplest aspect of medicine one can specialise in) after just "5 + 1" years of medical school.

You claim to know so much about what doctors do and how their programmes are structured. But for your own good and for the sake of curing yourself of ignorance, I suggest u do a more indepth study of the different aspects of medicine and what it takes to be a specialist in any of those aspects. At least so that you can be better informed. Even if you want to keep fighting doctors, at least you'll be doing that from a better informed position.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nobilis: 4:44am On Feb 10, 2015
taofeeq137:

Nigerian mumu sense talking, so na pathologist go check out d cause of death of a specimen, or d rightful owner of a child, or what bullshit are u sayin, ur patho...wtf... field sef should be under med lab science, and u r dere talkin twash.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by elder05(m): 4:48am On Feb 10, 2015
nobilis:

Yes. Nobody is doubting what robotics can do.

But if you go through most of my former posts about such topics as this, you'll discover that I've always maintained one point: everybody is important in the health industry. Every worker is needed because everyone's contribution is needed for the betterment of the patient's health condition.

Now, when people start getting dissatisfied with the roles they are playing in a particular setting and decide on their own that they feel they can and should start doing the work of the other party, what then do you expect but chaos?

For example, is it not laughable that this monstrosity called JOHESU was born out of the need to just vanquish the doctor who you guys always see as arrogant and as a threat to your career? Apart from vanquishing the doctor, tell me, what is the professional connection between a laboratory scientist and a security man? What is the professional relationship between a pharmacist and a janitor?

Also tell yourself the truth, when finally JOHESU is granted their desire of being C.M.D.'s and ministers, will a pharmacist allow a hospital janitor to become a chief medical director, afterall both of them work in the hospital? Will a lab scientist allow a hospital security man to be appointed a health minister, afterall both are employed in the health sector?

There is a reason there is an order of how things are to be done in every particular setting. It is only greed that gives birth to most of these agitations. I daresay that those people who are at the forefront of the fight to vanquish doctors are mainly those who failed out of medical school and were forced to study other health-related courses. They saw it as a slight on their person and what makes it worse for them is when they see their former classmates possibly "telling them what to do". It darkens their minds with hate and regret and they began to poison the minds of other workers in those fields. (I stand to be corrected, though)

One thing you must know is that nobody will allow another person to come and usurp his position, at least without a fight.

U guys say doctors are stifling your careers. But I also heard that it was MLS people that gunned for the suspension of the program that produced lab technicians cos u guys were afraid of becoming irrelevant. (I still stand to be corrected)

As for the NUC issue, I dare ask, since you say it was a doctor's handwork, why wasn't nursing science suspended as well? Why wasn't physiotherapy, pharmacy, radiography, dental technology and so on, suspended? Why was MLS alone suspended? I think you should really try to discover the reason and not stay here and speculate and curse doctors in your mind.

On a final note, no matter what you do or say, you are my colleague. You are my brother in the medical field. Without you my work will be irrelevant; without me your work will be irrelevant. That is the bottomline of the whole issue. So it is either we unite and help our different career paths grow or we keep fighting each other and kill off each other while the patient suffers.
Ciao.
speak no more my brother you've said it all
Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by nobilis: 4:54am On Feb 10, 2015
My final points on this thread (if u lab scientists can tell yourselves the truth),

1.A doctor doesn't need a laboratory test to make a diagnosis.
A doctor makes a diagnosis, albeit a provisional one, before sending for lab tests.
Even you lab scientists working in government hospitals are aware that you will never accept a lab request if it doesn't bear a provisional diagnosis.
How I wish you guys will educate the Nigerian populace about how things actually are.
Quote me anywhere: a doctor who doesn't have a diagnosis, or several differentials in mind after at least, 20 to 30 minutes of interacting with a patient is a certified quack.

2. A doctor doesn't use a lab result to make a diagnosis. A doctor uses a lab test to confirm a diagnosis.
In most cases, when the lab result doesn't tally with the doctor's suspicions, he may have to either order for another test, possibly from another lab, or discard that result and work with his diagnosis.

So everybody should know his position. It is as simple as that.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Kcinho(m): 4:57am On Feb 10, 2015
taofeeq137:

Nigerian mumu sense talking, so na pathologist go check out d cause of death of a specimen, or d rightful owner of a child, or what bullshit are u sayin, ur patho...wtf... field sef should be under med lab science, and u r dere talkin twash.
cause of death of a specimen.......lol smh

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by elder05(m): 5:06am On Feb 10, 2015
Op if you're crying rape now then I don't know what you'll cry in d near future because automated machines are now being used 2 confirm diagnosis. works like magic and no need 4 any nagging scientist/technician 2 waste my time. So my advice 2 you, do ur job, enjoy ur job and stop nagging about rape cos it won't change the price of normal saline

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Kcinho(m): 5:12am On Feb 10, 2015
yetseyi:
Hmm I m not a doctor neither am I a lab scientist but some statements I read here are appalling.

I thought the lab was used to confirm a doctors 'suspicion', with the list of illnesses I see someone is claiming does not need a confirmatory test for accurate diagnosis one begins to wonder.

Doctors can be wrong too and i believe thats why there should be a confirmation from the laboratory.

Now I am beginning to understand why almost every form of fever is almost always regraded as malaria and thyphoid.

There is a reason why there are laboratories.

yes the lab tests are needed to confirm "some" not all diagnoses. meanwhile some diagnoses are referred to as "clinical diagnoses" where the doctor doesn't need any form of investigation to confirm it. these basically require only good history and physical examination.

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by elobyobi: 5:12am On Feb 10, 2015
Jeflox:
I believe someone who is willing to consult a textbook before making a diagnosis is more concerned about your welfare than his ego. Learn to appreciate people's sacrifices and humility; you'll live longer. If him no look book now, come give u headache merecine for gono grin u go start to dey complain. Nigerians can be insatiable sometimes!!!

Re: Rape Of Medical Laboratory Science Profession by Kcinho(m): 5:21am On Feb 10, 2015
nationwide1:
The following diseases can be diagnosed 100% without laboratory investigation: Rabies, Asthma, Herpes Zoster, Duchenne dystrophy, Gullain Barre Syndrome, CVA.
other conditions like Parkinson's disease, hemorrhoids and a whole lot of other surgical conditions, most of the psychiatric conditions. not forgetting conditions that require only radiological investigations.

Lassa Fever Claims 63, Spread To 17 States / How To Treat Whitlow / Male Nurse Helps A Woman Deliver Her Baby By The Roadside In Ghana (Photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133