Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. (27297 Views)

New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms / 8 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Construction In Awkunanaw Enugu / Cost Of Building Twins Flat Of 3 Bedrooms In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 10:16am On Feb 09, 2015
After the second decking, block works.....

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 10:19am On Feb 09, 2015
Lintels for the second floor.......

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 10:22am On Feb 09, 2015
Just before the third decking.......

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by nextstep(m): 5:23pm On Feb 09, 2015
Oga spyder,

Wonderful work! I've been following your projects for a while, and it would be an honor to have your company build for me.

I've been thinking for a long time now of building a minimalist style house. Ideally, the house would enclose most of the land, without the usual high fence. As a result, instead of regular burglary proof, I'm considering using hammerglass for the windows and doors (it's apparently unbreakable) http://www.hammerglass.com/download/

This would be a great project for you and I to work on together, if it is possible. I don't know how popular they are yet, but they at least have appeared at tradeshows in Lagos http://www.buildmacexnigeriafair.com/pictures/

Would you be interested?

Sample home pictures from https://www.google.com/search?q=minimalist+house&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
nextstep:
Oga spyder,

Wonderful work! I've been following your projects for a while, and it would be an honor to have your company build for me.

I've been thinking for a long time now of building a minimalist style house. Ideally, the house would enclose most of the land, without the usual high fence. As a result, instead of regular burglary proof, I'm considering using hammerglass for the windows and doors (it's apparently unbreakable) http://www.hammerglass.com/download/

This would be a great project for you and I to work on together, if it is possible. I don't know how popular they are yet, but they at least have appeared at tradeshows in Lagos http://www.buildmacexnigeriafair.com/pictures/

Would you be interested?

Sample home pictures from https://www.google.com/search?q=minimalist+house&source=lnms&tbm=isch

** falls off of chair**

Get's back on, read it again since he can't believe another Nairalander is interested in minimalistic homes and proceeds to...

** falls off of chair again **
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 5:46pm On Feb 09, 2015
nextstep:
Oga spyder,

Would you be interested?

I am always looking to take up more challenging tasks, especially if I can take it in my stride, what is the location of your project Sir?
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
CityNG:

** falls off of chair**

Get's back on, read it again since he can't believe another Nairalander is interested in minimalistic homes and proceeds to...

And I was about to invite you to look at this fine house, I know you will love it cheesy
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by mufutau55(m): 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2015
@Nextstep
You are another "CityNG" in the making... that is why he is falling off chair and getting up quickly before falling second time... Paramedics ready.

A question, on the first photo, is that an underground Car park?

I love all the concepts... and look at the test on those Hammerglass... that is what we need in Nigeria.. no more iron burglary proofs.
That glass will be expensive as hell but it will be worth it..

Hajji M.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
spyder880:

And I was about to invite you to look at this fine house, I know you will love it cheesy

I love it.

Hopefully you two can work together.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
mufutau55:
@Nextstep
You are another "CityNG" in the making... that is why he falling off chair and getting up quickly before falling second time... Paramedics ready.

I love all the concepts...

Hajji M.

Not necessary, I am sitting at my desk at work in a hospital as I type grin

On a serious note though, it seems that the only level of defense is the glass due to the structure wall serving as the perimeter wall. I wouldn't do that just yet in Nigeria. I want the bad guys to know that by the time they have touched my windows that they are in imminent danger already and asking God for his mercies.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Onuokwu: 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2015
CityNG:

** falls off of chair**

Bros, please just take it easy, I beg you. No more falling off your chair or we may have an emergency on our hands!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by nextstep(m): 6:09pm On Feb 09, 2015
spyder880:

I am always looking to take up more challenging tasks, especially if I can take it in my stride, what is the location of your project Sir?

Wonderful. The site is on the Asaba-Ogwashi-Uku Road, Delta State, about 10 miles from Asaba
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by nextstep(m): 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2015
CityNG:

Not necessary, I am sitting at my desk at work in a hospital as I type grin

On a serious note though, it seems that the only level of defense is the glass due to the structure wall serving as the perimeter wall. I wouldn't do that just yet in Nigeria. I want the bad guys to know that by the time they have touched my windows that they are in imminent danger already and asking God for his mercies.

If the wall for the building is reinforced on the ground floor (e.g. 2 blocks thick instead of 1 with a layer of cement between), would it still be breached?
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by nextstep(m): 6:16pm On Feb 09, 2015
mufutau55:
@Nextstep
You are another "CityNG" in the making... that is why he is falling off chair and getting up quickly before falling second time... Paramedics ready.

I love all the concepts... and look at the test on those Hammerglass... that is what we need in Nigeria.. no more iron burglary proofs.

Hajji M.
As far as I can tell, the land on that first pic is already on a slope, so I'd imagine the garage is at ground level, or just 3 feet under. The back of the house might have an open patio and would also be at ground level, though technically it would be a basement as seen from the front.
This hammerglass really looks promising, and would change the look of windows in the country.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
nextstep:

If the wall for the building is reinforced on the ground floor (e.g. 2 blocks thick instead of 1 with a layer of cement between), would it still be breached?

It will not be easily breached and only a determined robber will even try. The first rule is to make your house less inviting to a thief and have him go down the road to a more easily breakable into house.

We also have to keep a close eye on cost, at least I intend to.

So instead of fortifying the whole house, my 4th level of defense is a safe room which will be built with concrete filled specially made high strength bricks with a custom mixture and it will have steel bar reinforcement (I simply can't afford to do a whole floor with that brick type I have in mind).

I'm designing a small 2,000 or less square foot single story thus my security requirements are sort of different since I loose the safety of an elevated 2nd story.

Another design idea I am entertaining is using regular but smaller vertical and horizontal windows in series.

It's unfortunate to use this analogy but my design is based on making a modern American prison look like a minimalistic modern house. Sort of hiding a secure facility behind a modern facade. Complete with an indoor courtyard so I can be "outside" until 2am if I choose to.

I seriously do tip my bowler hat to you for your thought process. I simply cannot build a typical Texas style house in Nigeria.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Oguledoen: 11:00pm On Feb 09, 2015
spyder880:
Just before the third decking.......

Oga spyder how many blocks did you use for the 1st floor ( from deck one to deck two)?
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by spyder880(m): 11:28pm On Feb 09, 2015
Oguledoen:

Oga spyder how many blocks did you use for the 1st floor ( from deck one to deck two)?

That part has a cantilever, about 3000 blocks in total.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
Just a quick picture to show how the wasted roof structure can be turned into usable space in a modern house build.

Pic 2 shows the type and size of most of the windows that will present itself to the outside world.

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by FastShipping: 11:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
nextstep:
Oga spyder,

Would you be interested?

I don die o! Ye! Count me in, bros. You have solved a lot of my problems. I have been saying I don't want anything to do with burglary proof and fence but I was talked into doing it recently. I thank God I haven't done that yet.

I am into contemporary and modernn architecture.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by FastShipping: 11:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
mufutau55:
@Nextstep

Hajji M.

Hajj, na this kind person I need to be dealing with.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by mufutau55(m): 12:12am On Feb 10, 2015
FastShipping:

Hajj, na this kind person I need to be dealing with.

You are right, my brother. This "Hammerglass" is a tough one.. I just went thru all the test they conducted on this thing.
Wonder if this readily available in Nigeria and what is the cost... enquiry mind wants to know please.

@FastShipping, imagine how this will look on that your sun roof?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by nextstep(m): 6:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:
Just a quick picture to show how the wasted roof structure can be turned into usable space in a modern house build.

Pic 2 shows the type and size of most of the windows that will present itself to the outside world.

I really like that too. The house is really open on the inside, even though its semi closed off to the outside. I guess you'd need high railings on the roofs to prevent climbers/ladders from getting into the courtyard

One thing I wonder is if it's possible to "grow the house" By that I mean, first build a 2 bedroom building. Then a year or two later, pour new foundation for another 2 bedroom building, and then two more buildings at a different time. Finally, in about 4 years, one could connect the four buildings using this courtyard idea you have.
How will this affect the structure as the different foundations rest/settle at different times.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by FastShipping: 6:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
mufutau55:

You are right, my brother. This "Hammerglass" is a tough one.. I just went thru all the test they conducted on this thing.
Wonder if this readily available in Nigeria and what is the cost... enquiry mind wants to know please.

@FastShipping, imagine how this will look on that your sun roof?

Hajji M.

If I had known this glass does exist in Nigeria, I would have left the entire sunroof area to be covered with glass. Well, it is still fine as it is now.

I called them today. This glass is not being sold in Nigeria. I called them today and they asked me to send someone to see what they have to offer. This glass is only being displayed and exhibited in Lagos from time to time. The guy who is in charge of the sale is based in Ghana with the name Emmanuel. These guys only do the marketing of this glass in Lagos and have no idea how to get it to you if you need to buy the glass. The contact number they gave me to call in Ghana went to someone else who knows nothing about the glass.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
nextstep:

I really like that too. The house is really open on the inside, even though its semi closed off to the outside. I guess you'd need high railings on the roofs to prevent climbers/ladders from getting into the courtyard

One thing I wonder is if it's possible to "grow the house" By that I mean, first build a 2 bedroom building. Then a year or two later, pour new foundation for another 2 bedroom building, and then two more buildings at a different time. Finally, in about 4 years, one could connect the four buildings using this courtyard idea you have.
How will this affect the structure as the different foundations rest/settle at different times.

1) Courtyard security: on mine I intend to have the top covered by s steel mesh of sorts that has 1 foot square openings and will be bolted to the concrete wall. I will then allow for thorny, very thorny, vines to grow in strategic areas of the false roof. Like in th epicture attached but a little bit more Nigerized.

2) Expandable system, yes it should be expandable. This is one beauty of building with masonry.

If one has adequate land, one can start this system in the pic below with one structure and then expand as time goes on.

If you happen to be an Alhadji Alaya Merin, you can just build one structure for each Wife and you can just stroll through the courtyard to do the needfull according to scheduling grin

PS: One thing I want us to remember is that we can work with a builder and architect to make our dreams come through. Don't accept "na naija we dey and na so we dey do am jare". Lead the way, at least I intend to.

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by FastShipping: 7:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:

1) Courtyard security: on mine I intend to have the top covered by s steel mesh of sorts that has 1 foot square openings and will be bolted to the concrete wall. I will then allow for thorny, very thorny, vines to grow in strategic areas of the false roof. Like in th epicture attached but a little bit more Nigerized.

2) Expandable system, yes it should be expandable. This is one beauty of building with masonry.

If one has adequate land, one can start this system in the pic below with one structure and then expand as time goes on.

If you happen to be an Alhadji Alaya Merin, you can just build one structure for each Wife and you can just stroll through the courtyard to do the needfull according to scheduling grin

PS: One thing I want us to remember is that we can work with a builder and architect to make our dreams come through. Don't accept "na naija we dey and na so we dey do am jare". Lead the way, at least I intend to.

I like this your floor plan a lot. It's a nice concept.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by mufutau55(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2015
@CityNG, that plan of the round house is really good.. I think one will need a good 2 to 3 plots to make this look real cool.
May be when I will the lotto, I will do something like that. smiley But only 3 bedrooms? That means some of my pickins go sleep for corridors.

Hajji M.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Fhemmmy: 8:21pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:

Do you have a 3D drawing for this? will love to see what it will look like, lovely
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
mufutau55:
@CityNG, that plan of the round house is really good.. I think one will need a good 2 to 3 plots to make this look real cool.
May be when I will the lotto, I will do something like that. smiley But only 3 bedrooms? That means some of my pickins go sleep for corridors.

Hajji M.

According to the builders, http://deltechomes.com/ , their structures have non load bearing walls so it can be demarcated on the inside in any configuration and they merely showed what's possible with their design.

I was leaning more towards them in the beginning until I got their price list = ~$160,000 for a ~2,000 structure shocked
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Do you have a 3D drawing for this? will love to see what it will look like, lovely

I've put out bids at eLanceNG.Com for someone to do a 3D model for me but they were too pricey.

So I'm learning SketchUp.Com myself. I don't have anything showable just yet.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by mufutau55(m): 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:

According to the builders, http://deltechomes.com/ , their structures have non load bearing walls so it can be demarcated on the inside in any configuration and they merely showed what's possible with their design.

I was leaning more towards them in the beginning until I got their price list = ~$160,000 for a ~2,000 structure shocked

Damn! $160K, forget it. Please show this architecture design to KKonsults, Ihebrooke and those other good Architects we have here and they clone the same thing for you successfully for building approval in Nigeria.

Hajji M.
Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by Fhemmmy: 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:

I've put out bids at eLanceNG.Com for someone to do a 3D model for me but they were too pricey.

So I'm learning SketchUp.Com myself. I don't have anything showable just yet.

That is a great idea for you to learn it yourself too . . . Looking forward to seeing the 3D when you are able to show it.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. by petikal(m): 10:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
CityNG:

Nice pictures, although for an open air space, I'm not sure having a wood floor is a good idea, considering external conditions, especially rainfalls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My New Borehole Pumps Out Dirty Water First, Before Clean Water. Help! / Damache Doors ! Lovely Security And Room Doors For Sale / 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.