Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages (97455 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Optional2(f): 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2015
Really
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Alexgeneration(m): 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2015
Nice
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by ellahzy(f): 10:04pm On Feb 11, 2015
i Rep igbo

and slightly Pidgin wink
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by raumdeuter: 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
So the writer has forgotten Yoruba is spoken in Ondo and Ekiti state, Parts of Edo, Benin Republic, Togo and even some part of South America

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Tval(m): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2015

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by dennismukoro(m): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
urhobo should be there

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by kariko1(m): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
So ekiti state are not among Yoruba region right? D article writer is a dickhead mother fucker unprofessional writer.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by kariko1(m): 10:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
So ekiti state are not among Yoruba region right? D article writer is a dickhead mother fucker weaker writer.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by phestade(m): 10:07pm On Feb 11, 2015
this list is kinda skewed and almost incorrect., Ijaw in IKOLE EKITI? ;Dthis list is kinda skewed and almost incorrect., Ijaw in IKOLE EKITI?

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Adiwana: 10:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
Pidgin English should be no1..you can use to communicate effectively in most parts of Nigeria more than English sef

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by darlenese(f): 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Drsheddy(m): 10:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
DahtzFestjayz:

Source: http://top10ng.com/top-10-spoken-nigerian-languages/
Without Igala that list is fake bro.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Sweetlemon(f): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2015
Efik is more widely spoken in Akwa-Ibom/Cross River than Ibibio.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Kingsasian(m): 10:15pm On Feb 11, 2015
Thank God say una mention my place. But pidgin should be ranked numeral un
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by gbodimowo(m): 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by AreaFada2: 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bororojo:

The list is embarrassing to say the least- the article says there are only 1.9 Million Fulfulde speakers in all of Nigeria.... lol
Second the area it claims Fulfulde are most spoken are actually not the areas where it is most spoken.....

A lot of ethnic Fulani can't actually speak their language. Most speak Hausa. Fulfulde is becoming an exotic language. Many who gave up nomadic lifestyle and settled within Hausa communities now have their kids speaking Hausa, also due to intermarrying with Hausa.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by 1shortblackboy: 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
I noticed how the writer did not fail to mention that some parts of rivers state speak igbo but failed to mention that ijaw is spoken in Rivers state

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Kingsasian(m): 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Efik is more widely spoken in Akwa-Ibom/Cross River than Ibibio.
hey! Abeg no change am. Leave ibibio where it is...lol
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Adiwana: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
adeitoro:
Igbo language is on the verge of extinction.
With the rate younger Igbo generations drop the langauge I doubt if Igbo will survive next 100yrs.
Was on a wedding ceremony of my colleague who is Igbo, I was ashamed of how the parents were happy and amazed that the guy can express himself with shaky Igbo.
Also I paid a visit to my uncle, on greeting his kids in Igbo, my uncle was like I should use English, you know they don't understand Igbo.

In as much as i hate this but its the truth.I think its the based on the mentality of the people.People born their kids&you see them talking to them in English.i hate it.had a neigbour whose last child who is same age mate with my sis,grew up with her but was struggling with igbo.she started learning it due to the mocking she was receiving.
Another is schools(in West&east) who impose strict rules based on the language spoken thereby given in to western slavery

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by greatsodade(m): 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
Bororojo:

The list is embarrassing to say the least- the article says there are only 1.9 Million Fulfulde speakers in all of Nigeria.... lol
Second the area it claims Fulfulde are most spoken are actually not the areas where it is most spoken.....

Third (I might be an outsider on this one)- but it is obvious to anyone in this country that Yoruba has more speakers than Igbo and not the other way round--- you can call me out, if you think I am wrong.

U re right bro...in fact more Igbos re speaking Yoruba than u can even imagine.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Sweetlemon(f): 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
phestade:
this list is kinda skewed and almost incorrect., Ijaw in IKOLE EKITI? ;Dthis list is kinda skewed and almost incorrect., Ijaw in IKOLE EKITI?

Just because Jonathan is from Ijaw doesn't mean Ijaw is now a majority tribe. Don't mind all these I -too-sabi people.

Ijaw is not even a language sef.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Sweetlemon(f): 10:20pm On Feb 11, 2015
Kingsasian:
hey! Abeg no change am. Leave ibibio where it is...lol

I guess you are Ibibio?
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by gbodimowo(m): 10:21pm On Feb 11, 2015
Tval:
You are drunk op, if you are not drunk, you would make accurate research before posting this rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

you no need insult the guy

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Kingsasian(m): 10:23pm On Feb 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

I guess you are Ibibio?
of course and I guess u are efik
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Jokay07(m): 10:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
I stopped reading it when I saw 19 million figures fr yoruba. I closed the thread when I couldn't find proper index, they are just mere imagination

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
nagoma:

You may be right about the number but definitely both of you are wrong about the states Fulaman.

Umm no, I'm not wrong about the states, Fulfulde is most spoken in Adamawa (which extends into Cameroon as well), Gombe and Taraba states. It is not spoken at all nearly much in the NorthWest. Adamawaare is the dialect of the Fulani spoken where I am from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Frankiss44(m): 10:27pm On Feb 11, 2015
When you see responses on articles like this you realise why tribal Sentiments has killed us as a country, see every man fighting to promote his or her tribe on the list.... And until we get pass this stage, one Nigeria is just a scam

Between why is Urhobo not on that list?

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by WIZGUY69(m): 10:29pm On Feb 11, 2015
the article doesn't make sense.
@ op. do you think the world revolves round you?
its obvious you haven't been to most part of Nigeria.
if not what is ijaw & Ibibio doing up there
Igbo speakers more than Yoruba's.?
wrong info.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 11, 2015
Nwanne a bu m nwa afo ala Igbo. Iwotago?
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Fulaman198(m): 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2015
Frankiss44:
When you see responses on articles like this you realise why tribal Sentiments has killed us as a country, see every man fighting to promote his or her tribe on the list.... And until we get pass this stage, one Nigeria is just a scam

Between why is Urhobo not on that list?

It has nothing to do with Tribalism, it's about spreading the correct information....To say that there are less than 2 million Fulfulde (Fulani) speakers in Nigeria is the best joke I have seen my entire lifetime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Damsman10(m): 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2015
adeitoro:
Igbo language is on the verge of extinction.
With the rate younger Igbo generations drop the langauge I doubt if Igbo will survive next 100yrs.
Was on a wedding ceremony of my colleague who is Igbo, I was ashamed of how the parents were happy and amazed that the guy can express himself with shaky Igbo.
Also I paid a visit to my uncle, on greeting his kids in Igbo, my uncle was like I should use English, you know they don't understand Igbo.

dats wat our culture is becoming, same with d Yoruba culture, I learnt Yoruba n can still speak English 2 an extent but they think wen their kids know d native, English suffers.. a very dumb idea

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages by Sunnah1(m): 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2015
Igala not on the least?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony / Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.