Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (93699 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 11:54pm On Feb 08, 2015
player007:
Am Proud of my Father's Land.
Just that there are a couple of things the Uhrobo race is still fighting with.
1) The men's insatiable taste for women
2) Its Taboos. Had to go close to my step mom then so as to learn most of its cultures and taboos. Believe me most of the taboos made me cringe.
3) Most uhrobo's i have met don't really like helping there own brother(s) (mybe its the few ones i have associated with)
4) They tend to always believe that every problem they go tru is as a result of a friend or families witchcraft also called Oora.
Just to name a few
Realy?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by eddyj36(m): 12:00am On Feb 09, 2015
Cool thread.. Wadoo!!.. cool

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by eddyj36(m): 12:13am On Feb 09, 2015
jessiecah:

Nahh...urhobo got nothing on this one..The girls are probably naive and gullible and you took advantage of them.clap for yourself
Very good reply..
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Sanchez01: 12:13am On Feb 09, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Na una fault o. I dnt want to brand it illiteracy or ignorance. You can imagine telling a yoruba person that you are a deltan or from akwa ibom, they will say : 'Omo ibo', all of you are ibo na. you people are the same thing'. Shuuuuuuuu!! You are telling somebody your tribe, the person is arguing with you what your tribe is. What is that supposed to mean na? Your tribe people no dey widen out to accomodate the knowledge of different tribes except they are very well travelled and have many friends who are from other tribes. Your people that stuck to staying in the west all their lives are the ones that have this problem. Thats very bad o. I just got to say it o. Abeg use this thread as a means of knowledge biko.
You're so on point. I've lived all my life in the South-Western part of the country and I still end up explaining to educated illiterate Yoruba folks that I'm not Igbo. I hate it when they see me as one and the annoying thing is that the more you try to argue with them, the more they make you look stupid. Most Yorubas believe there are JUST three ethnic groups in Ngieria. Hence, you must be Igbo if you're not one of them or do not belong to the Hausa group.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 09, 2015
deletrue:
You dey mind them? The Urhobos are the originators of DEV (DEVE) popularly called developmet that has spread all over the country. Their youths as well as the earlderly are highly indesciple and lazy. The Urhobo youths can beat up a senior man/woman of their grand parents age. Very desrespectiful people.They do not like working. They move about through all the corners of the towns abi cities in Delta, especially in Warri, looking for any person who is developing any landed property and within the shortest time, they can injure and even kill if you question them as to why you will pay them money for erecting a personal building etc. while the Ijaws are busy orgnising evil in the riverine. BTW, from which state did kidnapping and sea pirates started from? This has made Warri highly backward.They are the most cunny class of people in the Nigeria. They are the only people you can never trust. They organise many robbery cases in Delta state. There is no way you can plan with an Urhobo man and get a true result as agreed. They are worst than the tortose. Very crookish and highly unrealiable class of people.
The first robbery cases in Nigeria were recorded in Urhobo land. You have individual like Chief Omoko, you have Mosheshe who dealt with the first europeans, who visited Nigeria on trade missions. You also have have Edewor and many others who are very wealthy who formed partnership with the whites in trade mission and organise against them and drive them back home land and take over all the investments. Small boys, what do you of the Urhobos? All these are true stories because I worked there for many years before I left
If talk again, I will hit at you times five of the above

Sometimes the way people think makes me wonder whether Nigeria will progress as a nation when elements like this are still in stock. Change your mentality Bro! What you see in the world is a reflection of yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 12:36am On Feb 09, 2015
omonuan:

If we use LGA as you stated. The Anioma have 9 and the Urhobo 8.
U are wrong they have more than 8,aint U forgeting they occupy part of warri south? or you minus the Isokos?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by jessiecah(f): 1:36am On Feb 09, 2015
eddyj36:

Very good reply..

Thanks smiley
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by ewosk: 4:42am On Feb 09, 2015
Wadoo!!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by jerome263: 5:44am On Feb 09, 2015
following
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by chukspd: 7:16am On Feb 09, 2015
nice info
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Etizz: 7:33am On Feb 09, 2015
Luv dis tribe, if u don't den cook a stone.... Proudly Urhobo

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by rayval(m): 7:52am On Feb 09, 2015
flexingPAPA:
And they are easy to bribe....and they easily betray themselves politically....
You don't have a single atom of brain* because everyone is writing, u dnt wanna be left out.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Ephemmm: 7:57am On Feb 09, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
Their females are unladylike and crude.

Na lie! Blessing was realy a blessing to me, and I can bet it any time anyday.

That babe can Bleep headache out of my sense walahi...
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by rayval(m): 8:01am On Feb 09, 2015
I'm proudly Urhobo-ughelli south.gbaregolor precisely...I'v read tru this thread and seen a lot of comment by some fools who think they knw the tribe better by say stupids things like the he goat that spoke about stealing nd deve originating from urhobo.....sme people re honestly too foolish. You just wanna write something so that people will laugh or mayb probably gv u credit for ur empty brains and meaningless lines.dis thing is seriously paining me..I'm out let me quote that guy..he must be a fool.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by rayval(m): 8:11am On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
All ur 13points re xteristics of ishan ppl of edo sate xcept number one[uote author=waffiboi post=30540838]1. Selfishness or Egocentricity: An average Urhobo person is selfish or egocentric. This is the act of believing only in self. The propensity to satisfy self at the expense of others. Being self-centred. In the process of trying to satisfy self only, the individual begins to become greedy by accumulating more and more to him/herself alone. E.g. some Urhobo elites in position of influence tend to turn away from other Urhobos when Urhobo language is spoken around them in the office or when they are needed to help an Urhobo person to succeed, they don’t bother to help because they are thinking this person is going to take their seat or is going to get better and their influence will diminish. This trait is very devastating.

2. Jealousy or Rivalry: This is deeply rooted in our polygamous family setting where a man marries two or more wives. In most cases, the wives engage in unhealthy competition among themselves with one trying to outclass the other. This could lead to hatred of one wife against the other. It could lead one wife wishing the other evil or even death especially when one is getting more prosperous than the other. The poorer one would start to despise the other by making derogatory statements like; “what does she think she is ?” or “what kind of rubbish wealth she thinks she has?” and so forth. This behaviour or attitude is then passed down to their children (male or female) that sometimes one wife and her children could form a “union” against the other wife and her children. And for generations this unhealthy co-existence remains. Something has to be done to abate this trend.

This phenomenon is directly linked to the “Avwebọ” (amebọ) and “Avwiorọvwe” that husbands create within the family. In other words, it is the husbands that caused the rivalry and jealousy. (There is a lot written about this by Professor Peter Ekeh for those who want to read further about the topic)

3. Avarice or Covetousness: The product of selfishness and greed is avarice. This is where someone is so self-centred that he/she continues to acquire material wealth to him/herself without minding any other person. They can sell or even kill the other person in the process of acquiring what they want.

4. Hatred, Malice and Bitterness: The result of greed, jealousy and rivalry is hatred. The person who is greedy is hated by the people around because s/he never helps anyone. And over time, this hatred leads to bitterness that is deeply rooted in the heart of the people against the person. And the real product that is lacking among the people is love for one another. Genuine affection is not there so people can keep malice of the other in mind for as long as possible.

5. Miscommunication: Since there is no genuine affection between the people, the line of communication is also not thorough. This creates communication gap which in turn creates misunderstanding of each other and later leading to suspicion.

6. Distrust or Suspicion: With the issue of rivalry in the family, people begin to suspect the actions (or inaction) of the other person. When this becomes someone’s attitude, they exhibit it beyond the family to the community.

7. Nepotism and Tribalism: Resulting from the self-centredness within the rivals in the family, pockets of “unions” or “cliques” begin to develop and this grows into where people now identify with one another with undue patronage to one another just because they are relations. The common Urhobo adage, “Uwevwi a g’obọ vwiyọ” is purely an act of nepotism and not UNITY as people think. The attributes of nepotic attitude on a larger scale is tribalism. It could also be the root of racism at international scale.

8. Separatism: This is the result of nepotism. As people get into grouping based on who they are related to, others soon see it as a form of fraternity to relate closely with one’s relations and less with those we are not related to. Such advocates always see line of demarcation between one person and another because of their family background. These separatists easily see why some group of people should not belong to a union and soon create a division among the people. There are many separatists among the Urhobo people.

9. “Unforgiveness” and Retaliation: Most Urhobo people have the heart of keeping any hurt or wrong done to them by someone in the past and they will never let go. They will keep the hurt with them looking for a day to retaliate or revenge. Usually, the revenge could be more hurtful and devastating. And since the other person(s) equally has/have the heart to keep things, they will record this event in their heart till such a time that they will revenge against the people who hurt them together with their children, etc. It is a vicious cycle that has no end. Sometimes that was the beginning of wars between communities and nations.

Where it does no the group
You don't ave single brain...the title of this thread is interesting facts...so what do you actually gain cn bringing some useless and clieless fact abt the tribe...sometimes you just copy and paste what you see..I wonder where you re from..I pray the oversabi in ur family will stop soon..I weep for Nigerian youths like you..

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Odisco2(m): 8:14am On Feb 09, 2015
Evestar200:
Urhobo ero kokoroko
Etioye -pha. Tivo wo dia?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 09, 2015
Kingsasian:
lol....I guess u are one of them. For ur info am not their type and I rarely associate with them. Sorry for insulting u and ur tribe....no hard feelings...but I hv told u the truth and my close friends agree with me on this...lol

In all my life, the Urhobos I've seen have always been very intelligent fellows. Intelligent in ways u can never imagine. There's no gainsaying that this is not a generalisation but I've seen sharp urhobo minds because of my personal idiosyncrasy. I reckon the same with u. U are free not to associate with Urhobos for whatever reason but it is foolhardy to insult us.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by efemena23: 8:44am On Feb 09, 2015
mah Urhobo cliques. Abeg wetin b d meaning of the name Eno/Enoh(pls how is it spelt?). Thats the name of da urhobo diva wey dey role in ma head.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by sweettease(f): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2015
phrancys001:
No pixs of uroboo babes ?
Check my dp grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 9:22am On Feb 09, 2015
literarymathy:

I will create a thread to answer this question soon. I'd be sure to mention u there. For now, think of warri as a no man's land. Everyone in Warri Is a migrant. However the real question is who's the oldest and who has more influence.? However, the itsekiris claim warri to be their traditional home. Urhobos and Ijaws do not agree. I will resolve this in a post worthy of being in the front page tomorrow.

This is the best answer i have heard in ages and mind you, some people hate to think that there land is no man land evwen with large evidence of migration like lagos. but that is another story

Now if you head towards pesu waterside it is ijaw area, now towards NNPC ekpan and environs it is Itshekiri now towards Garage and that church GKS it is more of urhobo

I think that warri is like jerulasem where we have isreal and palestine having stake...but i feel for there to be OLU OF WARRI nad no OVIE of WARRI then it is an itshekiri town

the way we have emir of ilorin which make ilorin a fulani town though with yoruba subjects

I lived in warri, In loved that town and my very good urhobo friend like Gite, Ejaita, my sexy Itshekiri babe Jelomi etc. I missed that town just te crisis made me and business to re locate

I think that there should be a way to resolve this issue

WARRI IS A FUN PLACE TO BE, I REFINED MY PIDGIN ENGLISH THERE AND LEARN TO EAT KPOKPO GARRI...I THINK THAT IS URHOBO THING

then another question is why do isoko and urhobo say they are nt same. to us non indegenes we see them as the same just like isan and benin so is ika and igbo

I love that town

can you please educate me more on the differences between urhobo and isoko, maybe i cant see any but you can see some

thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by millhouse: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2015
nice
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 11:29am On Feb 09, 2015
Odisco2:

Etioye -pha. Tivo wo dia?
warri
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Kingsasian(m): 12:40pm On Feb 09, 2015
literarymathy:

In all my life, the Urhobos I've seen have always been very intelligent fellows. Intelligent in ways u can never imagine. There's no gainsaying that this is not a generalisation but I've seen sharp urhobo minds because of my personal idiosyncrasy. I reckon the same with u. U are free not to associate with Urhobos for whatever reason but it is foolhardy to insult us.
bro, I can feel ur pain....lol please don't take it personal. lol
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by deletrue: 1:34pm On Feb 09, 2015
literarymathy:

Sometimes the way people think makes me wonder whether Nigeria will progress as a nation when elements like this are still in stock. Change your mentality Bro! What you see in the world is a reflection of yourself.
But why? Have I told lies? Oya, post another thread of any other ethnic group and see what my response will be. Nobody should just come here post opposite of what he or she is to deceive others. I swear that what I have posted is the truth and nothing but the truth of the Urhobos.
There is nothing I do not know in Delta,Rivers, Balyelsa infact, just post on any Nigerian state. I will response just exactly how they are. Na true.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by odizeey(m): 2:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
Mr know all......am partially urhobo by tribe
cos u r partial doesnt mean u yave d right to cap nonsense
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by santosesq1(m): 2:24pm On Feb 09, 2015
From were did you get this fact that Urhobo is the 5th largest ethnic group in Nigeria ? I need to know can you refer me to were I can get cogent fact to buttress your writeup ? 32FB4BCC or e-mail - santosajiyen@gmail.com
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by martineverest(m): 3:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
Dont blame u and ur tribe...u dont tell me what i know.u know d truth.....to hell with u
odizeey:
cos u r partial doesnt mean u yave d right to cap nonsense
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by martineverest(m): 3:23pm On Feb 09, 2015
Isoko and urhobo are closer and related dan ishan and benin.
tonychristopher:

This is the best answer i have heard in ages and mind you, some people hate to think that there land is no man land evwen with large evidence of migration like lagos. but that is another story

Now if you head towards pesu waterside it is ijaw area, now towards NNPC ekpan and environs it is Itshekiri now towards Garage and that church GKS it is more of urhobo

I think that warri is like jerulasem where we have isreal and palestine having stake...but i feel for there to be OLU OF WARRI nad no OVIE of WARRI then it is an itshekiri town

the way we have emir of ilorin which make ilorin a fulani town though with yoruba subjects

I lived in warri, In loved that town and my very good urhobo friend like Gite, Ejaita, my sexy Itshekiri babe Jelomi etc. I missed that town just te crisis made me and business to re locate

I think that there should be a way to resolve this issue

WARRI IS A FUN PLACE TO BE, I REFINED MY PIDGIN ENGLISH THERE AND LEARN TO EAT KPOKPO GARRI...I THINK THAT IS URHOBO THING

then another question is why do isoko and urhobo say they are nt same. to us non indegenes we see them as the same just like isan and benin so is ika and igbo

I love that town

can you please educate me more on the differences between urhobo and isoko, maybe i cant see any but you can see some

thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
Isoko and urhobo are closer and related dan ishan and benin.

but their languages are they mutually intelligible ?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by martineverest(m): 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2015
Somehow........ishan language is quite different from benin about 40% similar....though,isoko language is 80% similar to urhobo ...just as urhobo is 60% of combination of benin,ishan and afemai languages of edo
tonychristopher:

but their languages are they mutually intelligible ?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Odisco2(m): 5:26pm On Feb 09, 2015
Evestar200:
warri
Oyoma. me guono we vughe

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / Misuzulu KaZwelithini: New Zulu King Had To Kill This Lion To Become Monarch / Photos From An Unclad Annual Virgin Dance That Holds In Abiriba Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.