Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day (22772 Views)

Buhari Walk The Talk (apc Manifesto At A Glance) / APC Manifesto Not Quran Or Bible, It Can Change ---Buhari / APC's Manifesto, Unrealistic And Full Of Deceit - PDP. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 06, 2015
Promises, proposals and projects in the 2015 election manifesto of Nigeria’s main opposition party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), could amount to an estimated N53 trillion spending plan in the first term of office, if the party’s presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari is elected into power at the February 14 polls.

BusinessDay estimates that the cost of “Building a New Nigeria”, which is the theme of the APC manifesto, could warrant an initial bill of N6.23 trillion in 2015/2016 compared to the N4.46 trillion “Transition Budget 2015” outlined by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP)-led Federal government.

The 2015 budget has passed a second reading at the National Assembly and could be passed before the end of the current administration in May 2015.

Economists and political analysts believe a supplementary budget cannot be ruled out, irrespective of who wins the elections. More so, they are of the view that the APC manifesto may be rather ambitious and short of financing options.

“I don’t think it is realistic in its expectations for public spending despite its philosophical foundations,” says Opeyemi Agbaje, CEO of RTC Advisory Services, commenting on the manifesto via a phone interview.

“I would have expected the document to show alternative financing methods such as public private partnerships and increased taxation. I accept that there are funding loopholes that can be plugged but there is a lack of realism about the size of these loopholes,”he adds.

High points of the manifesto include the creation of three million jobs per year; employment of 100,000 new police officers; immediate pay increase for defence and security personnel; free meals for primary school children; social security payments for 25 million poorest Nigerians; one million houses per year; interest free loans to university graduates; a N300 billion growth fund; among others.

All these have resultant costs for an APC government, if elected.

On creating three million jobs a year, BusinessDay estimates show that this would amount to N10.6 billion additional public sector wages at the current minimum monthly wage of N18,000.

Public sector wages have been a huge source of concern for government spending, after a 53.7% increase in the federal wage bill was implemented in 2010. The 2015 budget proposes N1.8 trillion or 40% of the budget for public sector wages alone.

Furthermore, the APC plans to employ100,000 new police officers, which could add another N33.6 billion wage bill per year, assuming a monthly minimum wage of N28,000.

An immediate pay increase for all five security services (Army, Navy, Airforce, Police and Intelligence) is proposed in the APC manifesto as part of a larger plan to double the entire security budget in the first term, if elected. This could cost an additional N246 billion, according to BusinessDay estimates.

The manifesto proposes one free school meal daily for all primary school children, modelled after the O-meal programme in Osun State led by Governor Aregbesola (also of the APC).

Spreading the N250 per child per day programme across the country could cost about N1.17 trillion per year.

The party proposes direct conditional monthly social security payment for 25 million of the poorest Nigerians.

This could easily amount to N1.26 trillion based on an assumption of US$1.25 (N210) cash payment per day.

The poorest Nigerians being targeted include unemployed youths less than 30 years old, senior citizens above 70 years, the disabled and army veterans.

To bridge Nigeria’s 17 million housing deficit, the APC would need about N3.5 trillion annually to achieve its one million housing target per year for the next decade.

The party proposes a National Housing Policy that will collaborate with state governments to achieve this target.

A long term plan to increase health and education spending to 35 percent of the budget by 2025, from the incumbent government’s 15 percent of budget, would add an estimated N81.16 billion of spending yearly.

The APC also proposes a N300 billion growth fund, which compares to the incumbent government’s N220 billion MSME fund.

Wale Edun, one-time Commissioner of Finance, Lagos State believes the policies outlined in the APC manifesto are “progressive, populist and aimed at the greatest good for the common man.”

He further explains that revenue will be generated “through savings from the re-ordering of priorities and plugging of loopholes.

“There are opportunities for public private partnerships and we will not be imprudent in running an expansionary programme.”

He argues that expansionary programmes, monetarism and fiscal relaxation amidst economic challenges, have been embraced all over the world, with a very recent example in Europe.

“It is a big challenge but the intention is to put the 50 percent unemployed youth back to work” Edun concludes passionately during a telephone interview with BusinessDay.

Overall, the APC manifesto seeks to redirect public spending to achieve a “50:50” balance of recurrent and capital expenditure by 2025; a feat yet to be achieved by the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) since 1999.

Akin-Olusoji Akinyele

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/02/apc-manifesto-spending-plan-to-cost-n53trn-over-four-years/#.VNTsxZgo_Fo

8 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 06, 2015
Nigerian politicians think we are goats that can be fed with ulterior promises of greener pastures without telling us how they will go about achieving or fulfilling those promises.

Nigerians BEWARE - APC IS A SCAM!!!

These so called progressives are still Nigerian politicians first before anything else.

139 Likes 11 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by BraveAfrican(m): 4:55pm On Feb 06, 2015
APC's manifestoes are what every Nigerian dreams of....something close to the ideal life but we live in the REAL WORLD were purported figures, wishes & plans do not materialise without matching and realistic actions/resources. My view on the 2015 Presidential polls is better illustrated in the link below::

A MUST READ---

www.nairaland.com/2086272/2015-presidential-elections-dilemma-average

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by apoti(m): 4:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
If you think Nigeria cannot afford N53 trillion over 4 years, then you are being naive.

The missing $20 billion alone equals N4 trillion and that is just from one out of many corrupt government agencies. You cannot imagine how our resources have been mismanaged by PDP. This is the obvious reason they are scared of GMB.

That said, APC will create enabling environment for businesses to thrive and thereby create more jobs. All the jobs do not necessarily have to come from the government

#Sai Buhari

141 Likes 11 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
Haay fee ceee!!!

Dem think say all of us na melu-melu..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by kodded(m): 5:03pm On Feb 06, 2015
Front page please
Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 06, 2015
“I would have expected the document to show
alternative financing methods such as public private
partnerships and increased taxation. I accept that there
are funding loopholes that can be plugged but there is
a lack of realism about the size of these loopholes,”he
adds.

Apart from these loopholes, the manifesto emphasizes mining and a major source of funding even though i agree it can't be immediate.

Nigeria is loosing 500,000 barrels of crude oil daily, multiply that by $60 then multiply by 200 naira exchange rate.

On creating three million jobs a year, BusinessDay
estimates show that this would amount to N10.6
billion additional public sector wages at the current
minimum monthly wage of N18,000.

Come on, of course they won't employ 3 million people to government offices every year, they will create an environment for it. There are at least 8 solid minerals per state in this country. Mining and agriculture will solve this puzzle.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 06, 2015
Furthermore, the APC plans to employ100,000 new
police officers, which could add another N33.6 billion
wage bill per year, assuming a monthly minimum wage
of N28,000.
we are talking state police here and this is inevitable, the federal police will be downsized as the individual state officers grow in numbers.

An immediate pay increase for all five security services
(Army, Navy, Airforce, Police and Intelligence) is
proposed in the APC manifesto as part of a larger plan
to double the entire security budget in the first term, if
elected. This could cost an additional N246 billion,
according to BusinessDay estimates.

I am yet to come across immediate pay rise in the Manifesto. I have read about restructuring our military, equipment, welfare and kit.

The manifesto proposes one free school meal daily for
all primary school children, modelled after the O-meal
programme in Osun State led by Governor Aregbesola
(also of the APC).
Spreading the N250 per child per day programme
across the country could cost about N1.17 trillion per
year.

Like you said, Osun state does this successfully. How you came about 250 naira per child is ridiculous. Even Mr biggs won't charge 250 naira in bulk.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 06, 2015
The party proposes direct conditional monthly social
security payment for 25 million of the poorest
Nigerians.
This could easily amount to N1.26 trillion based on an
assumption of US$1.25 (N210) cash payment per day.

This i can't really ( love the way Buhari pronounces the word really ) explain, i don't expect it to be immediate either.

To bridge Nigeria’s 17 million housing deficit, the APC
would need about N3.5 trillion annually to achieve its
one million housing target per year for the next decade.

This can easily be achieved by PPP, Apc states are doing fantastic in this area. I dare say no other state has built more houses than Lagos state, not even the federal government.

There is a lot of work to be done, Apc has never hidden that fact, infact buhari has said so severally.

Seun, this are the type of threads that should be on your front page, it could seem one sided but you can't blame the APC for the pdp not having a manifesto.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by falconey(m): 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:

1 Like

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by itetemi: 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
[quote
author=J12 post=30486762]Nigerian politicians think we are goats that
can be fed with ulterior promises of greener pastures without telling us
how they will go about achieving or fulfilling those promises.

would you rather the money be spent like the 40trillion naira that disappeared with nothing to show for it.

2 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by BlackTechnology: 5:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
I hope their plan is not based on oyel money

They should plant enough cocoa and groundnut for it grin

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:

Apart from these loopholes, the manifesto emphasizes mining and a major source of funding even though i agree it can't be immediate.

Come on, of course they won't employ 3 million people every year, they will create an environment for it. There are at least 8 solid minerals per state in this country. Mining and agriculture will solve this puzzle.

I trust you are a Christian? Ecclesiastes 5:5 - It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.

Buhari and osinbanjo said something and you are saying another. Are you the one running for presidency? Surely if buhari doesn't understand English well enough, Osinbanjo does and he could have clarified and explained to us that they will only create an enabling environment.

Mrs interpreter,
Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. Matthew 5:37

26 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by micolaj: 5:12pm On Feb 06, 2015
BlackTechnology:

You and rubbish are inseparable

9 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by BlackTechnology: 5:16pm On Feb 06, 2015
micolaj:

grin

Farmer, have you bought your farm tools and cleared your cocoa field. grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by micolaj: 5:20pm On Feb 06, 2015
BlackTechnology:

grin

Farmer, have you bought your farm tools and cleared your cocoa field. grin
you will start drinking your OYEL ah ah ah

6 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Trut(m): 5:20pm On Feb 06, 2015
BlackTechnology:

You beat me to that, that's what I was thinking before I saw your post.

14 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by ApexTitan(m): 5:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
micolaj:

Why are you attacking his question? Many of Nigeria's problem can be linked to oil money. Asides equitable distribution of oil wealth the government also faces challenges on how to meet its obligations because of the volatile nature of the source. Any plan that continues to depend completely on oil money will continue to plagued with the country's age old problems.

@Topic
Skeptics like me will say that APC has come up with a good plan on how to spend money but little or nothing better on how to make it.

16 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:
Nigerian politicians think we are goats that can be fed with ulterior promises of greener pastures without telling us how they will go about achieving or fulfilling those promises.

Nigerians BEWARE - APC IS A SCAM!!!

These so called progressives are still Nigerian politicians first before anything else.
Of course the pdp has been feeding you goat dung in the last 16yrs, that is why you can't even make a sensible contribution to a public forum anonymously. Same goes for your fellow clowns on this thread.

There are so many senseless threads on nairaland, you can derive your joy from messing them up as usual.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
Promhize:

I trust you are a Christian? Ecclesiastes 5:5 - It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.

Buhari and osinbanjo said something and you are saying another. Are you the one running for presidency? Surely if buhari doesn't understand English well enough, Osinbanjo does and he could have clarified and explained to us that they will only create an enabling environment.

Mrs interpreter,
Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. Matthew 5:37

We are sorry the manifesto seem a little complicated for empty heads, we will break it down as much as possible.

Btw can you show us the pdp manifesto, let's compare?
I forgot its trial and error.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 06, 2015
Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Mukina2, ishilove front page please

1 Like

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by ApexTitan(m): 5:31pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:

We are sorry the manifesto seem a little complicated for empty heads, we will break it down as much as possible.

LOL. How is your response now any better than the other person's you accuse of trolling?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
ApexTitan:

LOL. How is your response now any better than the other person's you accuse of trolling?
I have done my explanation, he chose to address me not the topic, i replicated the gesture.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:

I hit a spot? I'm sorry.

Would love to see Pa Buhari break it down in a debate, as I reckon that a man you are promoting to rule over you and I, would definitely be much more knowledgeable than you are in matters like this. Yeah?

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
Overall, the APC manifesto seeks to redirect public
spending to achieve a “50:50” balance of recurrent and
capital expenditure by 2025; a feat yet to be achieved
by the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) since

Obj was close in 2007 with 45 : 55 despite being an election year.

I am glad Osinbajo was one of the architects of this manifesto, implementation shouldn't be much of a problem.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by vantage7: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
Very ambitious manifesto indeed. However, I've always said to all the skeptics about the Nigerian government's potential financial strength, that a 4 trillion Naira annual budget is an utter travesty. A jaw-dropping amount of funds is being continuously siphoned in this country and the APC bigwigs know it that is why they can be that ambitious with their manifesto.

9 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by makzeze: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
I wish BUHARI GOODLUCK! come Feb 14.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by atlwireles: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
It would be funded by bankers like Soludo, they print trillions in the sky.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by meshacha1: 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
K
Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 06, 2015
Promhize:

I hit a spot? I'm sorry.

Would love to see Pa Buhari break it down in a debate, as I reckon that a man you are promoting to rule over you and I, is definitely much more knowledgeable than you are in matters like this. Yeah?
Like Sambo did in the empty debates last weekend? Buhari is doing a fantastic job in the town hall meetings, his supporters are satisfied.

9 Likes

Re: APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day by Babysho(m): 5:42pm On Feb 06, 2015
Confirm!....APC!......GMB!!...he is already working without activatn!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Isah Misau: "Arase Promoted Junior Officers Above Their Due Rank" / Atiku Abubakar Meets With Obi Of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Alfred Ugochukwu Achebe / IPOB Women Storm The Streets Of Abakiliki, Ebonyi State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.