Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,621 members, 7,770,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:37 PM

Investing in Nigeria - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investing in Nigeria (11528 Views)

The Beginner’s Guide To Investing In The Nigerian Stock Market (ebook) / Please Advice Needed On Investing In Forever Living Products / Investing In Startup Vs Buying Shares? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investing in Nigeria by Remi(m): 6:15pm On Oct 05, 2005
I see the idea of investing has been shot down in the forum recently, this is fine. However investing is one way of diversifying wealth. So I am interested in what kind of platform exists in Nigeria e.g where company press release, share price graph, broker list and possibly online brokers can be obtained.

Effectively I think it will be good idea to collect all websites that are available with information on investing or companies listed on the Nigeria stock market.

PS: Warren Buffet started by investing in the stock market using the somewhat famous "Value investing" method.

List of websites so far:

Stockbrokers
www.cashcraft.com
www.experesson-line.com and
www.africanfinancialmarkets.com
www.amyninvestments.com/

Company Information
www.allafrica.com
Re: Investing in Nigeria by kazey(m): 6:26pm On Oct 05, 2005
heheh well if you quote Warren Buffet, what to say. Anywayz maybe you should try registering at http://www.africanfinancialmarkets.com

they do give you some good information. Their free membership provides you with
* Share prices, valuation and risk measures and summary trading information for currently listed companies
* News items (together with the facility to search the news archive)
* Current articles and features
* Summary of share price performance
* Macroeconomic data and exchange rates
* Political analysis
* Discussion and bulletin board

while their premium which cost only 10 pounds per month and 100 pounds by year provides you with

# Company Profile
# Over 200 items of accounting data going back up to 20 year
# Segmental information (performance of a company analysed by its main operating divisions and markets)
# Charts of share price performance going back up to 20 years
# Our entire news archive along with search facility
# Maintain a virtual portfolio / watchlist of 30 stocks
# Weekly Newsletter
# Email alerts
# Stock selection and ranking facility (ability to filter and search for stocks according to specified criteria)
# History of corporate action
# Share price and financial information on delisted companies
# Major shareholders (information on all shareholders holding more than 5% of a company shares)
# Director's shareholding (information on the shareholdings of all directors)
# Adviser profile (details of the company's auditors, lawyers, registrars)
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:02pm On Oct 05, 2005
There's some information available on the earlier thread Investors in the Nigerian Stock Market, which is a roll-call those who have interest in investing in Nigeria. I'm excited about the potential of this thread: the valuable information that's being shared here!
Re: Investing in Nigeria by obong(m): 1:12pm On Oct 06, 2005
are those companies that you listed nigerian companies? the companies behind the website
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Owen(m): 9:16am On Oct 07, 2005
I don't really know much about all those companies but I do know we owe our country...and we aught to be participants in its development.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by otokx(m): 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2005
we ought to instill the culture of investing in shares for a start in nigierian companies.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by kazey(m): 11:11am On Oct 14, 2005
Now is that sweet Awww. INVEST IN NIGERIA WE SHOULD.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by skima(m): 3:31pm On Oct 14, 2005
I think bank is the leading sector i always heard on the news.
Currently, am not dealing in shares; though am very interested in it. I check out those side to see which one provide information about nigerian stock market.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Odeku(m): 12:52am On Oct 18, 2005
I am thinking of investing in the stock market or some real estate in Nigeria as well, my goal is long term 10 to 20 years margin. any advice?
Re: Investing in Nigeria by timba(m): 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2005
One other useful investment web site is SBA Research. Not only can you track your Nigerian Stock Exchange investments, you can do so for other African markets too.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by DoubleRevv(m): 12:00pm On Dec 27, 2005
Sorry to derail but Nigeria, South Africa is closing in hard and fast.ok see they are investing in power, bringing in shoprite and co...their businesses are meant to complement each other. Sorry to go to the racial crap but the blacks in sa are suffering and account for a gigantic chunk of non-corporate loans..Man, Nigerian investors and entrepreneurs stand fast and build. The government did not help by attempting to privatise NITEL after bringing foreign competion.Haba. the future looks bleak for Nigerian masses if this continues .where is protectionism?..pardon me, there is a lot of sentiment here but i think there is some logic to.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by naira4doll(m): 1:27am On Jul 21, 2007
The best place to invest is in your country Nigeria.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by joelee: 3:40pm On Jul 22, 2007
We tend to forget that investment does not only mean buying company shares an individual out 2 start his/her own business also is investing, i think we should talk also 'bout enterpreneurship and what it entails.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 4:51pm On Jul 22, 2007
joelee: you are very right. In fact, starting your own business is the most responsible way to invest. cool

1 Like

Re: Investing in Nigeria by MISSWORLD1(f): 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2007
must you have lots of money,before you can get a stockbroker.i need a stocl broker to trade and sell for me,but i have shares worth n50,000 only.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2007
If you choose the right stockbroker, 50,000 should be enough to invest, provided you have enough patience.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by lekank: 4:25pm On Jul 23, 2007
so if i do not have 50k i can not start investmenting in stocks. i think one should not think dat,what if you do not have that amount, maybe you have less. what do you advice?
Re: Investing in Nigeria by MISSWORLD1(f): 4:43pm On Jul 23, 2007
thanks seun for the suggestion . iappreciate,can you get some names of geniune stockbrokers you know.thanks
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Icon4s(m): 8:26pm On Jul 23, 2007
@lekank, the truth is that if you really want to make good money from the stock market you really have to commit so much money into it.But that doesn't mean that you can't start small.Oh,if a bank offers N14.90k/Share and you can only afford 1000 units,that is N14,900.You can everly start from there.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:44pm On Jul 23, 2007
If you are a [b]patient [/b]investor, you can invest any amount.
It's just a way to prevent your savings from depreciating.
You must be ready to leave your money invested for 10, 20 years if the company remains sound.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by atilla(m): 10:41pm On Jul 23, 2007
From my experience most stock brokers do not take less than 100 thousand. Unless you are a family member or member of staff.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by ebos(m): 10:34am On Jul 24, 2007
@Miss world

If you are ready to buy shares, just check out my profile and mail me. My friend is a Stock Broker and I just bought First Bank Shares at N33.00 per share. I know First Bank has since closed but I bought it from my friend because they are still returning them. I live in both Port Harcourt and Lagos State, but i'm more in Lagos now because of my work. I don't know where you live, and I will ask him if he can still sell. Only if you are interested. I'm in Ikeja and my friend is in Ilupeju. We both were living in Port Harcourt.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by ebos(m): 10:36am On Jul 24, 2007
I know N49,500 will give you 1,500 units of First Bank shares at N33.00 per share. I believe this will rise in a couple of months. There other companies you can still buy shares.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by POINT(m): 8:23pm On Jul 25, 2007
Yes invest in Nigeria, Invest in http://www.talkofnaija.com Its Nigerian owned wink. But on a serious note I think everyone would invest in Nigerian Companies if the risk wasnt so high for the rate of return
Re: Investing in Nigeria by sandykoko(f): 9:22am On Jul 30, 2007
I am based in Abuja. I know what one can invest in if you have the cash,
"FOOD" sells well here, if you have an eatery here in abuja, you will make alot of money especially native food,

Since there is no beach in Abuja, anything that brings fun will definitely sell well here,

Anyone interested should take a week off from wherever he or she is and come to F.C.T. Do a tour and list what you think is lacking! thanks to nu metro cinemas for coming into town, now, that place is jam packed , silverbird galleria is about to start here, there re alot of opportunities here

Check it out!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Investing in Nigeria by ebos(m): 10:39am On Jul 30, 2007
@sandy

won't you tell us how much a big stall cost in Abuja and how many years' rent they collect. Remember there is a high risk paying for a shop in Abuja because demolition exercise.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by sandykoko(f): 12:26pm On Jul 30, 2007
well, as far as demolition is concerned, its on hold, remember there is no more El-Rufai! the rate might be high but be rest assured you will get your money back in no time, besides if you want to get a space for your business, you get that space in the heart of town where other businesses re, by that you would put your mind at rest, for business purposes you pay for only one year.its only on accomodation issues that you pay 2yrs sometimes, a good investor usually dosent look at the cost but the returns, you make sacrifices to get what you want, if you dont make sacrifices, you will only wonder how it would ve been if you had taken the challenge,

But may i add that there is office to office supply of food, Good food at a reasonable price, drop a proposal to good companies around especially companies that rarely have the time to go for break, as a beginner, you could start from here,
if you want to go into other ventures and the resources is a problem, you could pool your resources with someone and make it work. Its more like a partnership thing, lets start from there!
Re: Investing in Nigeria by micsanmo: 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2007
Yea guys, to invest in your own country is a good thing. i guess it will help the country economy grow. I have done it and it really pays. and when i started i started with very little money and about 5years later i'm counting thousands and i can pay for my school so you can start small and grow you just have to be patient,
Re: Investing in Nigeria by madeonline(m): 9:31am On Apr 30, 2008
Re: Investing in Nigeria by uniqueseun(m): 8:31pm On May 06, 2008
Hello MISS WORLD,

You can invest your N50,000.00 in a business I will show you if you care. You will recoup your capital in a short time. You will be your own boss. You will have access to free training. You will work the hours that suit you. The business can also give you the opportunity to leverage other people's effort and time. If you care to know more, we need to get together - either by phone, email or in person. You will want to attend the business and product trainings if you are in a larger city where we have an Area Office. Please email: Sunday Akinduro: theperfectbusinessconcept@gmail.com or call 2347030101013.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by luwadmusic(f): 11:42am On Jun 26, 2008
I am interested in finding a genuinely Certified StockBroker who is a high risk taker to invest for me in 'PENNY STOCKS'
Need reply ASAP.

Tanx.
Re: Investing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:47am On Jun 26, 2008
Stock brokers don't "take risks".

(1) (2) (Reply)

LADOL & Samsung Invest $400m In Vessel Fabrication, Integration Yard In Lagos / Where Can I Invest =N=2m? / View This Simple 3 Bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.