Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC (22624 Views)

Governors Loyal To Tinubu, Atiku Absent At Meeting With APC NWC / Parties’ Positions At The Meeting With INEC On Poll Shift / 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meetingwith INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by helinues: 4:47pm On Feb 07, 2015
Seventeen out of the 28 registered political parties have asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to shift the conduct of the general elections scheduled for February 14 and 28.

The parties canvassed the position at a consultative meeting with INEC, which ended a few hours ago at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

INEC had on Friday announced that it would hold consultative meetings with all relevant bodies, including the political parties, civil society organisations and the resident electoral commissioners.

A source at the meeting told PREMIUM TIMES that leaders of 12 others, including the leading opposition party, All Progressives Congress, stoutly opposed their colleagues who were demanding the shift of the election.
This newspaper gathered that the 17 parties cited the shoddy manner the commission handled the distribution of the Permanent Voters Card, PVCs, and the security challenges in some parts of the country, notably the north east, as its major reasons for calling for the postponement of the polls.

Our source said the manner the parties argued their position clearly indicated that certain elements have reached out to them asking them to support that line of argument.
It could not however be established if they were offered money to do so.

Asked the thinking and body language of INEC officials during the discussion, the source, who is a leader of one of the opposition parties, said “their (INEC officials) body language suggest they want the postponement but are looking for something to hold on to”‎.

He added, “I think they have been told by the security agencies that they will not provide security and so these consultations are merely being held to justify what they plan to do.”

Efforts to reach Yunusa Tanko, who is the Chairman of Interparty Advisory Council, IPAC, the umbrella body of all political parties which serves as advisory body to INEC, were not successful.

INEC Chairman, Attahiru Jega, had on Thursday briefed the Council of States chaired by President Goodluck Jonathan, on the commission’s preparation for the polls.
The council asked the commission to proceed with the polls, but should seek further consultations with other relevant bodies before taking a final decision on the matter.

Mr. Jonathan is the candidate of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, one of the parties in favour of poll shift.
The Presidency, through the special assistant to the president on public affairs, Doyin Okupe, had also on Friday canvassed the postponement of the elections.
Last Wednesday, 16 parties addressed a press conference during which they called for postponement.

The parties are The parties are United Democratic Party, UDP; the Citizen Peoples Party, CPP; the Peoples Party of Nigeria, PPN; the Action Alliance, AA; the Peoples Democratic Congress, PDC; the Labour Party, LP; Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN; Alliance for Democracy, AD; New Nigerian Peoples Party, NNPP; and the Independent Democrat, ID.
Others are Advanced Congress of Democrats, ACD; Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, ACPN; Fresh Democratic Party, FDP; National Conscience Party, NCP; All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA; and Progressives Peoples Alliance, PPA.

The following day, 10 others rejected the calling, expressing shock at the demand of their colleagues.

The parties are the Peoples Democratic Movement, PDM; African Peoples Alliance, APA; Kowa Party; Mega Progressives Peoples Party, MPPP; Social Democratic Party, SDP; African Democratic Congress, ADC; Hope Democratic Party, HDP; Democratic Peoples Party, DPP; United Progressives Party, UPP; Accord Party, AP.

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, John Oyegun, also addressed a press conference rejecting calls for the postponement.

The spokesperson of the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation, PDPPCO, Femi Fani-Kayode, also briefed the media during which he said the party was not pushing for poll shift as being alleged in some quarters.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/176417-17-parties-demand-poll-shift-meeting-inec.html

1 Like

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by SeverusSnape(m): 4:48pm On Feb 07, 2015
The spokesperson of the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation, PDPPCO, Femi Fani-Kayode, also briefed the media during which he said the party was not pushing for poll shift as being alleged in some quarters.
Good
Majority carries the vote.
PDP is not even pushing for poll shift.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by AdeniyiA(m): 4:54pm On Feb 07, 2015
PDP dream gradually coming to reality?
they're only suffering from buhariphobia undecided
The happenings now are deliberate and premeditated ...

16 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 07, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Good
PDP is not even pushing for poll shift.

pdp (I won't dignify that criminal association with capital letters) is not pushing for poll shift indeed.

No matter what happens, BUHARI is nigeria's president come may29. Of that I am sure!

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by 9jvirgin(m): 4:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
All these because of fear of Buhari.

They will surely lose.

Death to PDP!!!

Sai Buhari....I wish you the best.

36 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Bizinton: 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2015
SeverusSnape:
[s]Good
PDP is not even pushing for poll shift.[/s]

When will you start making sense?

30 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by SeverusSnape(m): 5:09pm On Feb 07, 2015
Bizinton:

When will you stop talking from your Anus

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by jorlons(m): 5:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
The lootocratic dicktator GEJ is slowly getting his way. One thing he fails to realise is that after the six weeks he would have confirmed to Nigeria what a total failure he is. Watch out they'll regret ever pushing for a shift in the polls. GMB will win any day any time nuff said.

5 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by olayincar(m): 5:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
9jvirgin:

They will surely lose.

Death to PDP!!!

4 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by TheSonOfMark(m): 5:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
[b] * Who, in 2003, said Muslims should only vote for Muslims? Buhari. Isn't that playing the RELIGIOUS card?

*Which tribe was the first to stone Jonathan? Buhari's Hausa/Fulani stock. Isn't that playing the ETHNIC/TRIBAL card?

*Which region shielded the Boko Haram sect in its early days (way before GEJ became president)? Buhari's Hausa/Fulani stock.

*Which region ,spurred on by GMB's inciting comments, targeted South-Easterners during the 2011 post-election violence? The North. Isn't that anti-nationalistic?

*Which region benefits more from the unfair quota system? Buhari's Fulani/Hausa stock.

Need I go on? We the youths of this era aren't apolitical like the youths of the previous one. We don't have short memories. We've experienced and read their well-documented evil deeds and we, collectively, reject them.

THEY RULED OVER MY GRANDPA, HE RECOUNTED THEIR EVIL DEEDS.

THEY RULED OVER MY DAD, HE RECOUNTED THEIR EVIL DEEDS.

BUT I'LL RECOUNT AND MAGNIFY THEIR EVIL DEEDS SO THEY CAN'T RULE OVER ME.

The internet and PVC are my tools - I'll my part. Want to join me? Take my hand. [/b]

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by gebest: 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2015
Whether they postponed the election by 12 months GMB will still win.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by WisdomFlakes: 5:26pm On Feb 07, 2015
Are these the same parties that were reportedly bribed by the PDP to side with them on this?

3 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by excell12go(m): 5:42pm On Feb 07, 2015
And some mofos will keep saying GEJ is responsible for the poll shift. 17 out of 28 political parties
called for the shift...that's about 61%.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by MaZterZ(m): 5:49pm On Feb 07, 2015
Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by freshness2020: 5:50pm On Feb 07, 2015
The real deal..
APC are on their own....

12 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by benuejosh: 5:50pm On Feb 07, 2015
we will take to the street if elections are postponed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by coolhamid(m): 5:51pm On Feb 07, 2015
You mean 17 political parties acting as proxies for PDP??
Postponement or No postponement, It's obvious that Nigerians wants change ...

#SayNoToStealingIsNotCorruption

5 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Maczeelly(m): 5:51pm On Feb 07, 2015
SAY

N
O

PO
ST
PO
NE
ME
NT

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 07, 2015
It is really getting funny.

Last week....no one talked about postponing election. Now....

1 Like

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by BodyKiss(m): 5:52pm On Feb 07, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
[b] * Who, in 2003, said Muslims should only vote for Muslims? Buhari. Isn't that playing the RELIGIOUS card?

*Which tribe was the first to stone Jonathan? Buhari's Hausa/Fulani stock. Isn't that playing the ETHNIC/TRIBAL card?

*Which region shielded the Boko Haram sect in its early days (way before GEJ became president)? Buhari's Hausa/Fulani stock.

*Which region ,spurred on by GMB's inciting comments, targeted South-Easterners during the 2011 post-election violence? The North. Isn't that anti-nationalistic?

*Which region benefits more from the unfair quota system? Buhari's Fulani/Hausa stock.

Need I go on? We the youths of this era aren't apolitical like the youths of the previous one. We don't have short memories. We've experienced and read their well-documented evil deeds and we, collectively, reject them.

THEY RULED OVER MY GRANDPA, HE RECOUNTED THEIR EVIL DEEDS.

THEY RULED OVER MY DAD, HE RECOUNTED THEIR EVIL DEEDS.

BUT I'LL RECOUNT AND MAGNIFY THEIR EVIL DEEDS SO THEY CAN'T RULE OVER ME.

The internet and PVC are my tools - I'll my part. Want to join me? Take my hand. [/b]

Another batch of propaganda is out. Keep it coming.

10 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by synergycom19: 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
All are pdp inclined parties,working together for good of GEJ,all it's the Handwork of GEJ. After his security Adviser was the first to start the matter,remember he avoided PDP primaries,now he wants to do the same with the elections.GOD pass them all.

2 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by appini: 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
When GEJ is ready Jega will conduct elections.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by adioolayi(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
#MarchOnGMB.....APC say no to violence after postponement... Victory is sure without Violence...Let's vote, not fight

4 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by luckman20(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
Postpone elections all you want, your defeat will be more comprehensive for all to see.""
Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by udy4real(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
9jvirgin:

They will surely lose.

Death to PDP!!!

In ur dreams abi?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by BodyKiss(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
excell12go:
And some mofos will keep saying GEJ is responsible for the poll shift. 17 out of 28 political parties

Use your head, there's brain inside

1 Like

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 07, 2015
Bizinton:

he wont! even his name makes non...

1 Like

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by abacusCm(m): 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2015
excell12go:
abeg name other political parties and their presidential candidates

2 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Brimmie(m): 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2015
[size=16]It's not a Coincidence that GMB campaign will end in Abuja while GEJ's will end in Bayelsa (Otuoke) their Final Destinations.

Change !!![/size]

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by Vock(m): 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2015
I have a strong feeling that they would postpone the election, but come rain or shine, it's change all the way #SaiBuhari

5 Likes

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by hertheytheydgee(m): 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2015
Conspiracy against we Nigerians, sub-PDP! practically we have just two political parties ion this country. Anyway we don't care, if una like sub devide to 1000, "the journey back to otueke is certain" For those typing rubish, don't let your fingers run faster than your brain. 100 Likes for GMB
Conspiracy against we Nigerians, sub-PDP! practically we have just two political parties ion this country. Anyway we don't care, if una like sub devide to 1000, "the journey back to otueke is certain" For those typing rubish, don't let your fingers run faster than your brain. 100 Likes for GMB

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 17 Parties Demand Poll Shift At Meeting With INEC by JoSaintiago: 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2015
ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos State Bans LAGBUS Buses From Operating In BRT Lane / Andy Uba Picks APC Form For Anambra Governorship Election (Photos) / Trucks And Buses For Cleaner Lagos Initiative To Begin Work In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.