Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker (2506 Views)

Can Any English Speaker Help Me To Revise This Email, I Am Not An English Speake / Fun Time: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary / Please Who Has This Poem? Help Me Please!!!!!! Gbemisola Adeoti: Ambush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by S6390380: 2:17am On Feb 08, 2015
When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer

By Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,

When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,

When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,

When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,

How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,

Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,

In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,

Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Odillz: 5:33am On Feb 08, 2015
Laykorn
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 08, 2015
The poem looks like a lyric poem. From what I understand, the speaker was in an astronomy class and expected the astronomer to talk about the stars' beauty, but instead he talked about figures and charts, so the class got boring and he was dozing off so he probably begged to be excused and wandered outside to watch the stars. Then, he realised the mere words (of even an astronomer) cannot describe the stars' beauty.

The crux of what Whitman is saying is that the true way to understand nature is not scientific but intuitive and mystical. The poet can feel and understand the processes of nature when he is experiencing them, but listening to people lecture about them merely makes him "tired and sick."

Sincerely, I don't see any other thing here but some imagery.

Oahray, EverestDiBliu, Krystalxxx, OMA4U, rudepen, you should see more. sad

By the way, S6390380, what language do you speak?
Ayamlaykorn
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Ishilove: 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2015
Texanomaly
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by texanomaly(f): 9:49pm On Feb 08, 2015
The poem is written in Whitman's "free verse style". He wrote without a specific pattern of rhyme or meter. Read just about any of his works and you will notice it.

Laykorn, your analysis of what Whitman is trying to say is correct. This poem is a prime example of Whitman's simplistic genius. His poems take us along on what seems like a perpetual walk. We see the world through his eyes, and experience it through his beautiful mind. He seemed to see the world in "shades of colors" others could not perceive. Walt Whitman saw the everything through the eyes of a poet and experienced it through the mind of dreamer, with a spiritual view of the world around him.

I found this interesting tidbit in an analysis of the poem:

[b]"The poem develops around the contrast between two different kinds of "stars" (and, no, not the Hollywood kind). The astronomer's "stars" are abstract ideas that can be reduced to numbers and charts. They reside in a noisy, crowded lecture-room. The real stars, on the other hand, reside in the infinite night sky. They give you that swooning, dizzy feeling in the pit of your stomach. When the speaker goes outside to look at them, he feels a spiritual unity with the night.

Line 6: The word "gliding" is a hyperbole. It exaggerates the smoothness and ease of the speaker's exit from the lecture-room. Unless this room happens to be located in an ice-skating rink. We doubt it.
Line 7: The phrase "mystical moist night-air" is an example of alliteration.
Line 8: The phrase "perfect silence" is a tautology, a kind of logical repetition. "Silence," the absence of sound, is by definition already "perfect." Whitman wants to underscore this point."[/b]
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Macelliot7(m): 10:22pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ishilove:
Texanomaly
Please, I need your help.
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by texanomaly(f): 11:56pm On Feb 08, 2015
Macelliot7:

Please, I need your help.

Ummm my help or Ishilove's help.
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Macelliot7(m): 8:21am On Feb 09, 2015
texanomaly:

Ummm my help or Ishilove's help.

This a clone of my real moniker (macelliot). I have been given an entire one month ban on NL by one invisible mod. Imagine?
That means every active user in the politics section deserves a year ban each because they had done worser than mine... I see no reason why I should be given a one month ban for defending my right, my Tribe from the political A.P.C and Buharians.
I suspect this Mod, Maclatunj, the Jihadist might be responsible for my ban...
This mods are very wicked.
How do you expect me to stay off nairaland for a whole month. I can't even miss NL in a day, let to say two days. Imagine, a whole one month??
After searching 4 the Mod who could bail me, I think Ishilove is the most compassionate, and kind-hearthed Mod who could bail me out from this terrible mess.
Pls, Help me Ishi?
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by S6390380: 3:32pm On Apr 24, 2015
laykorn:
The poem looks like a lyric poem. From what I understand, the speaker was in an astronomy class and expected the astronomer to talk about the stars' beauty, but instead he talked about figures and charts, so the class got boring and he was dozing off so he probably begged to be excused and wandered outside to watch the stars. Then, he realised the mere words (of even an astronomer) cannot describe the stars' beauty.

The crux of what Whitman is saying is that the true way to understand nature is not scientific but intuitive and mystical. The poet can feel and understand the processes of nature when he is experiencing them, but listening to people lecture about them merely makes him "tired and sick."

Sincerely, I don't see any other thing here but some imagery.

Oahray, EverestDiBliu, Krystalxxx, OMA4U, rudepen, you should see more. sad

By the way, S6390380, what language do you speak?
Ayamlaykorn
I am in a small country, so, it makes no sense to tell you. You never heard of the language I speak.
Re: What Poetic Devices This Poem Used? Help! I Am Not An English Speaker by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 25, 2015
S6390380:

I am in a small country, so, it makes no sense to tell you. You never heard of the language I speak.

Telling me the language you speak gives me a chance to know about. +1 item in my pot of wisdom. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Can I Stand This Love (Short Story) / Chronicles Of A Ladies Guy / Love Story - A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.