Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State (51983 Views)

Esan People Are Not Igbo! / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by bokohalal(m): 10:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
You think every Bini word is from Yoruba!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by tpiah2: 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
show evidence or continue lying.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by tpiah01: 11:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
bokohalal:
The Bini say jocularly of Esan people "Esan ni san la oha." Meaning "Esan that jump into the bush". It is never used in the past tense.
SAN is the Bini word for JUMP.
LE, TULE, RHULE means RUN.
In colloquial Bini,SAN is more expressive for ESCAPE than LE,or any of it variants above.

Le in Yoruba is to chase

Sa means to run

Salo means run away
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2016
Funjosh:
Why the so much hate towards the Esan people by the Edo, I travelled to Auchi and met an Esan girl from Ekpoma but was advice to stay away from her by my friends and team members in which most of them are from Bini, Owan, Etsako and AkokoEdo on the ground that Esan people are very wicked, outsiders marrying from Esan is like signing your own death williling lipsrsealed

Am a Yoruba boy not from Edo so I have to belive what they said; but I must confess most of the Esan girls I met are very beautiful wink
really? shocked cry
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 26, 2016
Martha89 goan sleep!!

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 2:22am On Aug 26, 2016
Lol bros are not in Nigeria and its just 8 :22 pm here.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by Nobody: 2:25am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
Lol bros are not in Nigeria and its just 8 :22 pm here.
Lol all the same, goan sleep. tongue

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 2:31am On Aug 26, 2016
Funjosh:
Why the so much hate towards the Esan people by the Edo, I travelled to Auchi and met an Esan girl from Ekpoma but was advice to stay away from her by my friends and team members in which most of them are from Bini, Owan, Etsako and AkokoEdo on the ground that Esan people are very wicked, outsiders marrying from Esan is like signing your own death williling lipsrsealed

Am a Yoruba boy not from Edo so I have to belive what they said; but I must confess most of the Esan girls I met are very beautiful wink
The Benin are fetish and their women can kill to become landlandies, ode who wicked pass ijebu and Egba people from Yoruba Land. Lol an Owan person told you to be sacared of Esans? Owan used to kill their successful people when they go to the villages,till today no rich man visit owan,the most wicked community is ozalla and its in Owan.Etsako don't hardly go their villages because of witches etc. You are talking rubbish here.Esan is the most successful tribe from Edo state.Yoruba guys are not even faithful and etc so who cares.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 2:32am On Aug 26, 2016
iAmCharis:
Lol all the same, goan sleep. tongue
Lol bros my bed time is 11 pm.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by Funjosh(m): 5:55am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
The Benin are fetish and their women can kill to become landlandies, ode who wicked pass ijebu and Egba people from Yoruba Land. Lol an Owan person told you to be sacared of Esans? Owan used to kill their successful people when they go to the villages,till today no rich man visit owan,the most wicked community is ozalla and its in Owan.Etsako don't hardly go their villages because of witches etc. You are talking rubbish here.Esan is the most successful tribe from Edo state.Yoruba guys are not even faithful and etc so who cares.

Easy girl, no tribe or dialect that dont have their own short comings. As we have good peaple everywhere same we also have bad people. Its same people that talk ill about Esan also mentintion a town from their(cant remember the name) that most people from their are so good. The fews Esan i met are not bad except one that is showing all the attributes i was warned of so you cant expect me to judge everybody base on that. Am interested in Egba and Ijebu you talk about.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 7:09am On Aug 26, 2016
Funjosh:

Easy girl, no tribe or dialect that dont have their own short comings. As we have good peaple everywhere same we also have bad people. Its same people that talk ill about Esan also mentintion a town from their(cant remember the name) that most people from their are so good. The fews Esan i met are not bad except one that is showing all the attributes i was warned of so you cant expect me to judge everybody base on that. Am interested in Egba and Ijebu you talk about.
Esan can also talk ill of these people but do Esan have their time?I have also the mention negative side of those people ,I am from Edo state and I know more than you.The Esan is the light of Edo state. They beef Esan because we are more successful and ask them about their own problem the Owan ask about Ora,Sobe,Sabogida and the ozalla,ask the Benin's about Abudu,Uhonigbe etc and Ask Etsako about Agenebode etc As I am concern most all Edo's from all tribe have met will say they haven't been to their village because of witches. They can kiss Esan foot and their hate comes from jealousy. Esan is the most successful minority in Nigeria period from late Enahoro, Pastor Chris,Sonny Okosun this just a few.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 7:34am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
Esan can also talk ill of these people but do Esan have their time?I have also the mention negative side of those people ,I am from Edo state and I know more than you.The Esan is the light of Edo state. They beef Esan because we are more successful and ask them about their own problem the Owan ask about Ora,Sobe,Sabogida and the ozalla,ask the Benin's about Abudu,Uhonigbe etc and Ask Etsako about Agenebode etc As I am concern most all Edo's from all tribe have met will say they haven't been to their village because of witches. They can kiss Esan foot and their hate comes from jealousy. Esan is the most successful minority in Nigeria period from late Enahoro, Pastor Chris,Sonny Okosun this just a few.

Lols are you saying Esan people are more succesful than binis? Because of a few popular characters? Does all those 3 put together have what the ESAMA has?

Very wrong assertion my dear.

Infact it doesn't even matter.

Also we and deltans(i still don't understand why they even accepted that name) + akure, akoko and few others in ondo are ONE.

If you're Esan and you know your history then you know bini blood flows in your veins.

martha89:

Madam it is everywhere, aren't people from uromi and ubiaja Esan people? Correct me if i'm wrong tho but they also do this things

They also go into prostitution like others to Italy, Spain now germany

Their men also have many 'children outside" which the wives don't know about usually the lucky women marry the openly fetish ones

Esans also engage in rituals.

All these things I listed i've witnessed after all i'm bini.

We joke...and I repeat joke that "if u see a snake and an Esan man, kill the Esan man first" lol. And Esan people reverse tell the joke so it's all fun.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 7:40am On Aug 26, 2016
Funjosh:

Lols guy are you really differentiating Esan from edo people? Smh
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2016
LorDBolton:

Lols are you saying Esan people are more succesful than binis? Because of a few popular characters? Does all those 3 put together have what the ESAMA has?

Very wrong assertion my dear.

Infact it doesn't even matter.

Also we and deltans(i still don't understand why they even accepted that name) + akure, akoko and few others in ondo are ONE.

If you're Esan and you know your history then you know bini blood flows in your veins.

Madam it is everywhere, aren't people from uromi and ubiaja Esan people? Correct me if i'm wrong tho but they also do this things

They also go into prostitution like others to Italy, Spain now germany

Their men also have many 'children outside" which the wives don't know about usually the lucky women marry the openly fetish ones

Esans also engage in rituals.

All these things I listed i've witnessed after all i'm bini.

We joke...and I repeat joke that "if u see a snake and an Esan man, kill the Esan man first" lol. And Esan people reverse tell the joke so it's all fun.
Are you sure you are Bini and you mention Italy common bro be real Benin's are top in human trafficking to Italy,Spain etc and rituals thing is everywhere and Esan are not major on that. Esans value marriage more expcially their women more than the Benin's.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 7:49am On Aug 26, 2016
grin grin No wonder shall never end Benin man call Esan prostution when we can't beat you on that. I was talking about Esans farmers who train up to six graduates to university without seeking help,i was talking about Uromi local business man who made Uromi a local comercial and big market center that stay busy despite Uromi not being a capital.etc. big joke Esan engaging in rituals is like saying benin and other Edos engaging in rituals which is not big when you compare it to Igbo's,Yoruba and others tribes.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 7:50am On Aug 26, 2016
You are just telling lies and doesn't even make any sense.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by YourNemesis: 8:08am On Aug 26, 2016
What is difference between Esan and Bini anyway... undecided
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:16am On Aug 26, 2016
YourNemesis:
What is difference between Esan and Bini anyway... undecided
A two different tribe and why are you asking?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by YourNemesis: 8:17am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
A two different tribe and why are you asking?

They are more or less the same to me,
Just tiny differences.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 8:22am On Aug 26, 2016
@kingofjapan this your post is totally fake and annoying in most parts.

There is nothing like ESANLAND... in bini history 2nd/3rd princes sometimes left the palace taking slaves and common men with them to establish new communities and once they settled ANYWHERE they would ALWAYS send word to the oba to send more people, warriors and supplies to maintain the town.

Also duty/taxes would be sent to the oba as patronage / signal of continued loyalty.

You attempted to differentiate between Esan and edo... that is very ignorant and callous

Even the itsekiris, urhobos etc are all edos, akoko-ondo people it is on record that a large number of benin forces took over akure for a long time and during colonialism were "yorubanised"

Benin kingdom is equivalent to Britain in terms of how they were administered.

the ashipa ruling family of lagos are binis I am very sure you do not even know the obanikoros and many other people are benin.

The BIGHT OF BENIN is named after benin kingdom (which was the country). EDO was the capital. Not dahomey(benin rep) can you name a bight after a landlocked country?

It's the brits who intentionally changed everything to ensure smooth colonial rule...
So nothing like EDO in the sense of tribe ...it's the brits who called it EDOID-LANGUAGE or EDO SPEAKING PEOPLE (because the language spoken at the capital (edo) was similar to those spoken at other locations.

Once again the country is benin the capital is EDO.

If you're Esan then bini blood flows in your veins you're from edo--the capital.

End of discussion.

People who do not know their history will eventually get lost.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:23am On Aug 26, 2016
YourNemesis:

They are more or less the same to me,
Just tiny differences.
Really ? The language is 50% close that is it,Esan have some Masquared, dance and few names that look those from the East. Esan have alot catholic etc,Esan are fair in complexion but not all Esan are. Esan that is close to the Benin's is igueben.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:26am On Aug 26, 2016
This lord guy is trolling this thread... Can Esan get a break without Benin here grin angry[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:29am On Aug 26, 2016
Thread is old and I don t have time for Esan and Benin fight,I was responding to a biased comment.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 8:32am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
Are you sure you are Bini and you mention Italy common bro be real Benin's are top in human trafficking to Italy,Spain etc and rituals thing is everywhere and Esan are not major on that. Esans value marriage more expcially their women more than the Benin's.

Lmao... please reread your post and explain to me the similarities between major and minor participant?

Clue:both participate actively

Igbos known to be major drug pushers...doesn't mean other tribes (even the hausa) do not partake.

As for the line Esan value marriage please ensure you marry an Esan man... after 10years take him to any shrine, church or court to swear he doesn't have any child outside whether e go gree. Lols

Like I said i'm speaking from what i've observed not hearsay.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:40am On Aug 26, 2016
LorDBolton:

Lmao... please reread your post and explain to me the similarities between major and minor participant?

Clue:both participate actively

Igbos known to be major drug pushers...doesn't mean other tribes (even the hausa) do not partake.

As for the line Esan value marriage please ensure you marry an Esan man... after 10years take him to any shrine, church or court to swear he doesn't have any child outside whether e go gree. Lols

Like I said i'm speaking from what i've observed not hearsay.
I will married an Esan and as Esan woman I won't cheat. Talking about shrine and fetish the Benin's are top on that.Benin are traditional and they believe in stuff like more than anyone else. But I head Benin men also have a lot of kids outside and this come from Benin women

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:43am On Aug 26, 2016
A lot of Benin's are into cults and ogboni stuff and other fetish stuff. cool izobo and juju stuffs the Benin's top that list too.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 8:52am On Aug 26, 2016
All Edo men does that and the only thing with an Esan men is pride which is annoying.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 8:56am On Aug 26, 2016
martha89:
I will married an Esan and as Esan woman I won't cheat. Talking about shrine and fetish the Benin's are top on that.Benin are traditional and they believe in stuff like more than anyone else. But I head Benin men also have a lot of kids outside and this come from Benin women

Don't forget to give us update 10years after marriage sha.

grin
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by martha89: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
LorDBolton:

Don't forget to give us update 10years after marriage sha.

grin
Na you sabi.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
LorDBolton:
@kingofjapan this your post is totally fake and annoying in most parts.

There is nothing like ESANLAND... in bini history 2nd/3rd princes sometimes left the palace taking slaves and common men with them to establish new communities and once they settled ANYWHERE they would ALWAYS send word to the oba to send more people, warriors and supplies to maintain the town.

Also duty/taxes would be sent to the oba as patronage / signal of continued loyalty.

You attempted to differentiate between Esan and edo... that is very ignorant and callous

Even the itsekiris, urhobos etc are all edos, akoko-ondo people it is on record that a large number of benin forces took over akure for a long time and during colonialism were "yorubanised"

Benin kingdom is equivalent to Britain in terms of how they were administered.

the ashipa ruling family of lagos are binis I am very sure you do not even know the obanikoros and many other people are benin.

The BIGHT OF BENIN is named after benin kingdom (which was the country). EDO was the capital. Not dahomey(benin rep) can you name a bight after a landlocked country?

It's the brits who intentionally changed everything to ensure smooth colonial rule...
So nothing like EDO in the sense of tribe ...it's the brits who called it EDOID-LANGUAGE or EDO SPEAKING PEOPLE (because the language spoken at the capital (edo) was similar to those spoken at other locations.

Once again the country is benin the capital is EDO.

If you're Esan then bini blood flows in your veins you're from edo--the capital.

End of discussion.

People who do not know their history will eventually get lost.

Nothing like Esanland? Your post reeks of arrogance.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by LorDBolton(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
aim5:

It's not arrogance it's fact... nothing like esanland in the sense of AUTONOMY not in the existential context.

It's like a DUKE /DUCHESS calling him/herself a king.

How can a true Esan be referring to other edo speaking tribes like they foreigners. Smh

Seriously this is why africa and nigeria is in deep shiii , we(including me) don't spend enough time researching our history, next thing national boundary commission will come and cut them out of benin country like the delta tribes and 30years from now they will start claiming a stranger founded Esan. Lol

Nowadays everywhere I turn I see diff royal fathers of areas within 5km of each other lols

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Esan People Of Edo State by KINGOFJAPAN: 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2016
aim5:

And ignorance too

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. / Reactions To Ooni Of Ife Prophetess Wife (Memes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.