Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,716 members, 7,805,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? (27877 Views)

Unemployment Rises To 14%, Half Million Fresh Out Of Work – NBS / After Being Humiliated In Her Former Place Of Work, She Got A Very Good Job / How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 4:05am On Feb 09, 2015
Hello guys, I’ve been thinking about this lately. After the usual excitement that comes with getting a particular job, there comes this more enticing offer that you can’t just resist; better pay, juicy allowance/benefits, free lunch, etc and guess what? You’ve just been invited for an interview!

What this implies is that you will likely miss work for a day or two especially if you have to travel inter-state. Considering the fact that our current economic climate isn’t so cool that one should take unnecessary risks, what are these harmless but effective “lie lifelines” one can tell his/her Boss to avoid raising some eyebrows?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by JayKaba(m): 5:24am On Feb 09, 2015
#1 excuse - Feign sickness

...the only time lying is permitted !

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by sugarbuns(f): 5:56am On Feb 09, 2015
Was in a fix like that last week. I just resumed from leave; and it was scheduled for the same day at noon. Ol' boy I don't even wanna think of that excuse again.
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by liliangmail(f): 6:35am On Feb 09, 2015
I have bin thinking abt it seriously! Missed one interview! i wouldnt want to miss another
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Nobody: 6:40am On Feb 09, 2015
I was also in a similar fix just last month, I had to go for an interview without giving any prior notice whatsoever. That my boss na evil woman, she no go gree. angry Well, I resumed at the office two days later and had to tell my boss something, told her my babe grandfather uncle's wife just died and as a potential son-in-law, I volunteered to help drive the guest that came for the burial around town. Needless to say, before close of business that same day, I had over 20 queries waiting for me on my desk. cry

FriedPlantain

12 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Nobody: 6:46am On Feb 09, 2015
sugarbuns:
Was in a fix like that last week. Ol' boy I don't even wanna think of that excuse again.
Sugarbuns (which kind yeye name be that one sef tongue), oya come and tell us the excuse you gave at work before I force it out of you. angry

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 09, 2015
My boss was a nice man when I was still working for him,just give him any excuse,pronto,you are given approval to go.

He always want young people to aspire greatness.

In other not to abuse the privilege,I always feign illness at times.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 8:33am On Feb 09, 2015
sugarbuns:
Was in a fix like that last week. I just resumed from leave; and it was scheduled for the same day at noon. Ol' boy I don't even wanna think of that excuse again.
Share with us na cheesy
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 8:34am On Feb 09, 2015
liliangmail:
I have bin thinking abt it seriously! Missed one interview! i wouldnt want to miss another
Welcome to my world cool
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 8:38am On Feb 09, 2015
JayKaba:
#1 excuse - Feign sickness

...the only time lying is permitted !
You're right, feigning illness still works but boys need fresh options.

2 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 8:44am On Feb 09, 2015
Yomieluv:
My boss was a nice man when I was still working for him,just give him any excuse,pronto,you are given approval to go.

He always want young people to aspire greatness.

In other not to abuse the privilege,I always feign illness at times.
Lucky you, that means you guys were close. How is your new Boss now?
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by KillerBeauty(f): 8:50am On Feb 09, 2015
I was in a very tight situation like that last year december. I just resumed a job with a small pay and I got a call to attend a job interview in abuja. I told the manager that my grandma died(although my grandma died over a year ago) and I needed to travel for two days for the burial. He started saying that two days is too much o. That I just newly started work and I'm already giving excuses that the best he can give to me is one day off even with that he doesn't even know if the MD will agree since I work directly with the MD office. Bla bla bla. I called my sister in abuja and she siad she will be traveling o so there will b no place for me to stay. At the end of the day I forfeited the interview.

Another time I have an interview to attend this time it was within my city. I just came to work that day, stayed for a few hours the told my manager that I have family emergency that I needed to take my mother to the hospital. In this case he ended up allowing me to leave.

I collegue of mine wanted to attend that immigration exam. A day before the exam, she took out a wrapper spread it on the floor in her office,laid down on it and started shaking. Everybody in the office started asking her what's wrong and she said she has serious malaria. She ended up going home early and so she didn't go to work the next day and she attended the test

Lot of people have done crazy things and gave numerous excuses just to opt out of work to attend interview. It just require smartness

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by sholay2011(m): 10:03am On Feb 09, 2015
Funny and 'educative' thread

2 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 10:47am On Feb 09, 2015
@KillerBeauty, you got me smiling. Nice tip BTW wink

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by obowunmi(m): 11:08am On Feb 09, 2015
Excuse: you're sick - food poisoning

Excuse: someone died - it is imperative that you attend the funeral.

I've heard menstrual pain as an excuse

I've heard I locked myself out side my apt/house and I'm waiting for a locksmith

cry grin cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by obowunmi(m): 11:08am On Feb 09, 2015
Excuse: you're sick - food poisoning

Excuse: someone died - it is imperative that you attend the funeral.

I've heard menstrual pain as an excuse

I've heard I locked myself out side my apt/house and I'm waiting for a locksmith

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 09, 2015
Funny enough, I just somehow missed out on one interview after the online test.

Here's the excerpt of the email I sent to the company.

Dear ........,

I couldn't make it to the interview venue as earlier expected, due to some circumstances beyond my control.
However, I'm asking for the interview to be rescheduled for another time within the week, since I am indisposed today.

Or better still, I'd rather we communicate via emails if you'd be chanced to do so, after which we can sit down and discuss other terms later within the week.

I am sorry for any inconveniences this development might have caused you.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Emmanuel

These things happens everyday... grin grin grin

Luckily, I've managed to attend a couple of interviews in the last couple of weeks cos my boss traveled.

5 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 10:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
emmyrichie:
Funny enough, I just somehow missed out on one interview after the online test.

Here's the excerpt of the email I sent to the company.
Dear ........,

I couldn't make it to the interview venue as earlier expected, due to some circumstances beyond my control.
However, I'm asking for the interview to be rescheduled for another time within the week, since I am indisposed today.

Or better still, I'd rather we communicate via emails if you'd be chanced to do so, after which we can sit down and discuss other terms later within the week.

I am sorry for any inconveniences this development might have caused you.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Emmanuel

These things happens everyday... grin grin grin

Luckily, I've managed to attend a couple of interviews in the last couple of weeks cos my boss traveled.
you chop liver sha. Recently I replied one financial institution that I'm only available for interview on Saturdays.

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XuteSleeks(m): 5:29pm On Feb 21, 2015
Lolz...what was it? Plsssss

sugarbuns:
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by phetty(m): 4:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
First of all...that 'wrapper' story got me lagging seriously

I've really learnt things in this thread. I'm very lucky I jammed this. God bless the OP

Guys, I need more excuses...keep rolling them in

2 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by OkunrinMeta: 6:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
phetty:
First of all...that 'wrapper' story got me lagging seriously

I've really learnt things in this thread. I'm very lucky I jammed this. God bless the OP

Guys, I need more excuses...keep rolling them in
God go catch u, your boss will also be a nairalander following this thread. By the time u submit the lie, he will just call u by your moniker and say no chance.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by unofficial(m): 6:14pm On Feb 25, 2015
OkunrinMeta:

God go catch u, your boss will also be a nairalander following this thread. By the time u submit the lie, he will just call u by your moniker and say no chance.

gringringringringrin

4 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by adekanmbi1986(m): 6:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
While working with HMN, give my HOD one bottle of Amarula; believe me, you are covered for as many days as you like. I once went for three weeks just two months on the job. Sincerely, I can't forget him. GOD bless him where ever he is now.

4 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by phetty(m): 8:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
OkunrinMeta:

Lools... He no fit trace me lai lai....I don wear condom...So I play safe because "Safety first, safety always!!!"

5 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2015
4 guests viewing shocked
Are we safe?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by XtraSmooth404: 9:07pm On Feb 25, 2015
OkunrinMeta:

lol but the real big boss got no time to be here, you know.
Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Arlex(m): 9:14pm On Feb 25, 2015
As a matter of fact the only safe excuse is to tell ur boss is u'r sick and u wud need some time to take care of urself, other ones r precarious and if not careful the boss might decipher ur intentions.

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by AmakaDNB(f): 9:14pm On Feb 25, 2015
I FELL INTO THE TOILET WHILE SHITTING. You will get 2 weeks sanitation leave.

12 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by jeje123(m): 9:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
It depend on nature of d job

1 Like

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 25, 2015
Pastor's don't lie.... wink shocked but if you really wanna go, just say the truth. Sir please i won't come to work today or tomorrow, its a pressing need i need to attend to...

4 Likes

Re: Excuses You Give To Get Out Of Work To Attend A Job Interview? by Muhammadkhan: 9:18pm On Feb 25, 2015
March4BUH.ARI

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Wasn't Recommended For An Entry Level Bank Job For Living In An Area Of Lagos / Is The Nigeria Custom Service Recruiting For This Year,2012 / Ajaokuta Steel Company To Employ 500,000 Upstream, Downstream In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.