Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,085 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:34 AM

We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria (5840 Views)

Mobilebookshelf Write And Win Competition / Where Can I Download Story Books In PDF FORMAT?? / We Need To Read More Books In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 9:50am On Aug 23, 2006
We need to write and publish more books, because if we don't, the majority of Nigerians will continue to be poor and intellectual illiterates.

Do you know that the revenue from only books in America is more than the revenue Nigeria makes from crude oil and gas?

White House aides say President George W Bush has read 60 books so far this year. And the majority of Americans read more than Europeans.

Do you know that Hollywood has made the state of California to make more money than all the combined revenue of 54 countries in Africa?
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by KikiDixy(f): 10:09am On Aug 23, 2006
Nigerian literature is one of those most celebrated in Africa. We've made great contributions to literature in Africa, and a lot of new writers like Chimamanda Adichie are slowly getting recognition worldwide, so I doubt we have a problem in that regard, let's not turn our publishing industry to "Nollywood" style, were we churn out several books in a period that leave no literary mark. i personally am proud of the nigerain literary sect and the arts sector as well, there are some really good works out there at the moment. I'll post some good links when I can

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Seun(m): 3:24pm On Aug 23, 2006
let's not turn our publishing industry to "Nollywood" style, were we churn out several books in a period that leave no literary mark.
"Literary mark" my foot. You might not like Nollywood movies, but many people outside Nigeria like them. Isn't it better to have something like Nollywood than to have nothing? Isn't half a loaf better than none?

I agree with Orikinla, but if we want people to read our books we must write what the common man wants to read. Literary elitists and unenlightened critics be damned; what we need is what any Mama Put can enjoy!
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by obong(m): 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2006
nigeian needs to start publshing in local languages. it will boost sales big time
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Oracle(m): 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2006
When i saw this topic on the home page, i knew the poster was Orikinla.
Considering writing, i must say it is something i love to do, though i prefer writing poems to stories.
but i particularly write for fun, whem i'm free i could settle down and put a pen down on paper but if i were to publish a book or books
HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT IT?
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by chinani(f): 7:58pm On Aug 23, 2006
White House aides say President George W Bush has read 60 books so far this year.
*eye roll* The man couldn't read a comic strip. If he reads so much why can't he speak English like a literate man?

KikiDixy:

Nigerian literature is one of those most celebrated in Africa. We've made great contributions to literature in Africa, and a lot of new writers like Chimamanda Adichie are slowly getting recognition worldwide, so I doubt we have a problem in that regard, let's not turn our publishing industry to "Nollywood" style, were we churn out several books in a period that leave no literary mark. i personally am proud of the nigerain literary sect and the arts sector as well, there are some really good works out there at the moment. I'll post some good links when I can
Great point. Co-signed. smiley
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 8:53pm On Aug 23, 2006
I am into books and keep tabs on new titles in Nigeria, the UK and America.
If I tell you now that there is a comic book version of Dr. Eddie Iroh's bestseller Without a Silver Spoon, you would be asking where and when it was published? Because it is not available in Nigeria.

Every literate person from the one on the street to the Ivory Tower knows that we are not writing and publishing enough books. And the few books published in Nigeria are often not well produced.

Publish a beautiful and wonderful book and Nigerians will be attracted to read it.

My Language of True Love that is even a collection of love quotes and kissing is the number one best selling book on Bonny Island and it is only sold in our supermarket. So, imagine what will happen if the book is distributed all over Nigeria.

When you visit our National Library and check the number of new books published in Nigeria, then my point would be well understood.

The Da Vinci Code has sold more than 60.5 million copies so far and has been translated into 44 languages and Harry Potter has sold more than 265 million copies in over 200 countries.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:58pm On Aug 23, 2006
Don't worry. My photo comics are going to sell very strongly!
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by dennylove(m): 10:48pm On Aug 23, 2006
WHO WILL WRITE AND PUBLISH MORE BOOKS?before,our writers and publishers like, wole soyinka, china achebe,ola rotimi,and others,reading was so exciting,understandable and enjoyable.now most peoples just write and publish NON-SENSE all because OF "MONEY"AND THEY WANT TO SALE.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:51pm On Aug 23, 2006
Wanting money doesn't make people write rubbish. If you write rubbish, it won't sell and you won't make money.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 2:50am On Aug 24, 2006
I am currently writing a novel and just finished chapter 3. When I am done, I will publicize it on this website. Cant give out the synopsis, but lets all be encouraging to today's generation of writers.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by dipotepede(m): 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2006
There are two ways to look at this!

1. Write books like Nollywood and Bollywood films (not too standard but consumable)

2. Write literary standard books

No 1 will solve issues in the short run take for instance bollywood films which has been in existence since 1970s but has not reached the international standard of acceptance. Then I am sure you may ask who judges the standard?

The issue with going on a mediocrity main stream just to please the consumers are hazardous in the long run but when the consumers are itching for new looks like the Hollywoods then standard will be acceptable by all.

No. 2 also has flaws. How many Nigerian can really read Soyinka's Book! The books are difficult to assimilate by an average person (even a Briton whose mother tongue is English). The Da Vinci Code, Harry Porters were written with less literary standards and sold massively!

How do we reconcile the two?
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 8:16pm On Aug 24, 2006
Bollywood has been in existence since the 1950s.

Bollywood is as good as Hollywood. See posts on Bollywood on Nairaland.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by danielorde(m): 12:45am On Aug 25, 2006
I suspect that there is dearth of skilled writers, I do not mean people who went to school to learn literature writing - something like that. Secondly, I don't know if upcoming writers have searched our mentors in the oldrer writers so as to learn the skill and the approach to writing what will be beneficial to the target audience whatvever the target is.

One thing is sure, there exist a large market for would be writers. As much as there is market for those that enjoy reading gossip, I dare say there is even a larger market for those who want stuff that have developmental impact on the human mind which will reflect in the quality of our society.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 9:22am On Aug 25, 2006
There is no scarcity of good writers in Nigeria, but the scarcity of good publishers.
I have seen some well written stories, but they were only printed and not published.

N.B: Printing books is different from publishing books.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by dipotepede(m): 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2006
@ orikinla

My friend, you may know when it had been in existense; I will not argue that with you but to compare bollywood to hollywood is like comparing Knight Bridge in London to Ajegunle in Lagos!

You may prefer to watch bollywood but the issue here is STANDARD please,
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2006
Let me start by saying excellent post.

I am not sure if the problem is that Nigerians need to write/ publish more, as it is that Nigerians need to read more. When I say read more, I am talking about a particular type of literature: Literature with Nigerian flavor and sensibilities. Nigerians are the most prolific writers in Africa, this is an unarguable fact, leave story. However, Like most things, Nigerians have such an addiction to foreign particularly American culture, so that while they will spend money on Da Vinci Code, Danielle Steel, John Grisham etc., few want to read anything indigenous. And why would they? Many are so detached from their culture that they simply can't identify with literature that reflects this culture. The first time most of us get exposed to African literature is when we get into secondary school and have to read "Things Fall Apart", "No Longer at Ease", "Trial of Brother Jero", and "The Concubine" (and this is only those of us who take literature, science students often miss out entirely on this). Prior to this introduction to African literature, "mills and boone," James Hardley Chase and Jeffery archer would have been the regular fare.

It is one thing to write, quite another to be published, and yet another to be read. Remember in the end, writing is as much a professional/business venture as it is an artistic exercise. If no one will read you, you wont be published, because there's no economic benefit to reap in the investment.

The other problem with publishing is the economy. Since the Nigerian economy plummeted, it has become more and more difficult to publish in Nigeria. Even when you do publish, the quality is bad and pirates sell photocopied editions of your book on bus corners and market floors. Not very encouraging for a serious publisher. This is why most Nigerian writers publish outside where they can at least get royalties from their work and make a living from their profession. I remember a time when you were not really up to speed if you weren't reading the best selling pacesetter series, but today, economic strangulation has virtually driven that whole industry into the gutter.

Related to the economic problem is the overt fixation on religion and religious-self-help literature in Nigeria. In a socio-economic environment where everyone is looking for where the next meal will come from it is more likely that a Nigerian will buy a book called "2000 ways to get rich in seven days" or "Divine Wealth: Your Heritage from God," than literature that will truly educate the mind, or engage the imagination. It is for this reason that even in an economically straightjacket environment books with religious/ wealth/ selfhelp themes continue to flourish even as creative literature wanes.

But all is not bleak and things are turning around. The recently inaugurated annual Wole Soyinka prize for literature indicates a positive development (the prize was won by Sefi Atta for "Everything Good Will Come:" an absolutely gorgeous novel); and, many Nigerian writers, e.g. Chimamanda Adichie (Purple Hibiscus) are ensuring that affordable editions of their novels are published in Nigeria.

The following article by Adichie sheds more light on the literary problem in Nigeria: http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/432.html

1 Like

Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 9:31pm On Aug 25, 2006
Alarinjo,
Thank you for your rational analysis of the literary criisis of readership in Nigeria.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's novel Purple Hibiscus has sold over 14,000 copies in Nigeria so far. And if the distributors have wider network, the novel will sell more.

Nigerians will read if you encourage them.

Do you know that Nigerians even steal novels to read?

Most Western novels are chaeaper than Nigerian novels.
Because the pirated copies of the bestsellers are cheap and at the Yaba Bus Stop in Lagos, you can pay a token to borrow novels and return them when you have read them to collect another set for only N100. But Nigerian novellas or novelettes even sell as much as N300.

If we write and publish novels and sell them for as little as N200 a copy, more Nigerians can afford to buy them and read them.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 11:08pm On Aug 25, 2006
Orikinla,

What you say makes sense. Nigerians do read, however, the question is "what do they read?" I am not saying Nigerians don't read Nigerian literature at all, but when you compare the figures, it is likely that foreign literature (including the religious paraphernalia) has a much wider readership than Nigerian/ African literature. So let me qualify what I said earlier: Nigerians need to read more indigenous literature. Even you pointed out that books are exchanged for affordable amounts at Yaba. If I remember well, these books are foreign fiction, and the reason? Well you stated it already: affordability!

You rightly pointed out that Adichie's book has sold tons in Naija, but this is mainly due to her persistence in finding a local publisher who can actually bridge economics with quality. When I was in Naija last summer, Purple Hibiscus was selling for N500 (the price of a meager meal at Tantalizers or TFC). I bought my American edition here in the US for much more than that. Trust me, Adichie is not making any profit from the sales of her book in Nigeria, and the publisher is conceivably publishing at a loss. It is solely out of commitment to the literary cause that Adichie is publishing a Nigerian edition (read the article in the link I posted earlier for more on this). She is not the only one doing this. Many Nigerian authors publish affordable editions of their books in Nigeria. But what do Nigerians do? Even these affordable editions are pirated, and the whole value of the work (monetary and literary) is lost.

We should publish books to be sold at cheaper prices, I agree with you, but really, is this financially feasible in a country where everything else is so expensive?
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 11:26pm On Aug 25, 2006
Behaviour change is not easy. But we should keep on pushing until the hindrances give way.
Let me read Adichie's words.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 11:40pm On Aug 25, 2006
Orikinla

Well I agree with you. Change is not easy. And change will come, eventually. Let's hear what u think about Adichie's write-up when ure done.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by suprted(m): 12:15am On Aug 26, 2006
has anyone read the icarus girl by helen oyeyemi. i dislike her, but only because i am jealous that she has achieved so much despite being a few months younger than me wink seriously though props to her, it is a good book. but can our writers write books that do not feel like i am in someone's dream eg 26a by diana evans (who i believe is half nigerian) and the icarus girl. there is a surrealness about them that could turn off a casual reader.

as for nollywood. the fact that something is popular does not make it great. after all would you call big brother the best program ever shown on tv, with bigger ratings (if they were to be measured) on MNET than CSI?
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 12:44am On Aug 26, 2006
Hi Suprted,

I have read Icarus girl. Like I said in another thread, although characterization was weak in places, it was overall a great novel. I loved it! And yes, Oyeyemi is supertalented. So you think Icarus girl is surreal huh? Try Ben Okri's "Famished Road" or better still Oyeyemi's two plays: "Juniper's Whitening" and "Victimese." Actually maybe you shouldnt try the last two, they are more surreal than surreal grin But thats exactly what some of us thrive on wink
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by suprted(m): 1:25am On Aug 26, 2006
i love the famished road. i introduced my cousin to it, and its now his fave book and this is a guy who used to hate reading. i was just suggesting that for our populist books, we should talk about daily life. like i would love to read a book about school. or the misadventures of someone in university. or a bunch of people who sell in a market and their interpersonal relationship. just simple things that maybe people who would by them would go for.

i mean i was writing books like sidney sheldon when i was 14 so its not that hard. so how hard can it be to make a refreshing story about a slice of life back home.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 1:33am On Aug 26, 2006
i mean i was writing books like sidney sheldon when i was 14 so its not that hard. so how hard can it be to make a refreshing story about a slice of life back home. 

Not hard at all, I don't think. And there are books like that too on the market, many. I'm reading one right now actually: Sefi Atta's "Everything Good Will Come."

I guess Chris Abani's "Graceland" also has that flavor, but I never could really get into it.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by suprted(m): 1:39am On Aug 26, 2006
hey alarinjo, cheers for the suggestions. i'll deffo look into the two books you mentioned. or at the very least 'everything good will come'
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by alarinjo(m): 1:46am On Aug 26, 2006
Suprted,

that's cool man. Enjoy yourself while ure at it. And if you find anything interesting yourself, let me know.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 3:09am On Aug 26, 2006
Quote from: KikiDixy on August 23, 2006, 03:09:35 AM

Good point.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 12:46pm On Aug 26, 2006
Alarinjo,
Thanks for the link.
I have read Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's article in The Guardian and it read like what I would have written, because she spoke my mind.

I actually like her a lot and in fact she is part of my inspiration for the latest stage play I have written, Chi Amanda that I want to produce as an opera, because I am working with a composer to produce the music and I also composed a poem on her included in the collection of my new poems, Scarlet Tears of London already published and released and distributed by Amazon, Barnes & Noble and others.

I have posted Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's opinions on Naijarules.
I like her so much that I am tempted to chase her.
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by KikiDixy(f): 9:48am On Aug 28, 2006
"Literary mark" my foot. You might not like Nollywood movies, but many people outside Nigeria like them. [/color][color=#990000] Isn't it better to have something like Nollywood than to have nothing? Isn't half a loaf better than none?

I agree with Orikinla, but if we want people to read our books we must write what the common man wants to read. Literary elitists and unenlightened critics be damned; what we need is what any Mama Put can enjoy!

@Seun, Where in my entire post did you conclude that I don't like nigerian movies shocked, as i was merely staing FACT, even nollywood lovers will admit the rubbish going on now isnt good for the industry. Mediocrity is never a substitute for excellence my dear, what is being put out there doesnt even amount to half a loaf! sad

Back to the topic, there are some really good works out there, even simple literary works fashioned in the simplistic format of the Pacesetter series, for example. I will post some good links soon cheesy
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 10:31am On Aug 28, 2006
KikiDixy,
Seun is also saying the right thing.

You were right and as you stated:"Mediocrity is never a substitute for excellence."
Re: We Need To Write And Publish More Books In Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2006
If you win a Nobel prize and the average Nigerian can't see the beauty in your work, you've failed in my book.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DREAMS & DATES ( Love Seriez ) / Murder On Koboland.com / APC, Tinubu, Shettima's legal team To Expel Members Who Speak To The Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.