Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Diploma Or Masters? Please Help - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diploma Or Masters? Please Help (4909 Views)

Please Help With The Most Affordable Schools For Masters Abroad. / Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Canadian Diploma Or Post Graduate Diploma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by xplen(m): 11:26am On Feb 11, 2015
Good day house, please I'd be very grateful if I could get a couple of advices regarding this.

I completed my BSc in Industrial chemistry and Masters in Oil and Gas Operations Management, with little working experience.

I want to migrate to Canada but confused either to get a diploma from NAIT/SAIT in engineering or go for a masters program in engineering. I was considering Petroleum engineering in either case but with the fall in oil price, a lot of people are loosing their jobs so I'm quite skeptical about this field, although still contemplating on chemical engineering.

Please, a need of word of advice about what school to go for and also what to study.

Thanks
Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by juniormusa(m): 11:35am On Feb 11, 2015
Most jobs nowadays requires training at least 3-5 years..is not all about having master's..buh having some experiences and insight in ur field of study

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
xplen:
Good day house, please I'd be very grateful if I could get a couple of advices regarding this.

I completed my BSc in Industrial chemistry and Masters in Oil and Gas Operations Management, with little working experience.

I want to migrate to Canada but confused either to get a diploma from NAIT/SAIT in engineering or go for a masters program in engineering. I was considering Petroleum engineering in either case but with the fall in oil price, a lot of people are loosing their jobs so I'm quite skeptical about this field, although still contemplating on chemical engineering.

Please, a need of word of advice about what school to go for and also what to study.

Thanks
In Alberta, the oil province of Canada, people in the oil and gas are getting laid off everyday. I also work in an oil and gas servicing company and our workload is reducing on a daily basis.... now we are not sure if we would still be in employment by mid year. The low oil price is here to stay as shale oil producers in the US are innovating tech to keep cost of production low. OPEC is now a toothless bulldog.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/investing/oil-prices-shale-opec-end/index.html

Aspa, coming to Nait/Sait. I would advise you study a more general course like mech, civil, Chem or electrical so that you can be flexible in career choice. Petroleum engineering would narrow you down to that particular industry.

Finally,in Alberta Canada, there are lots more job openings for diploma grads than Bsc/MSC grads.

6 Likes

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by iykedare(m): 12:41am On Feb 22, 2015
saxywale:

In Alberta, the oil province of Canada, people in the oil and gas are getting laid off everyday. I also work in an oil and gas servicing company and our workload is reducing on a daily basis.... now we are not sure if we would still be in employment by mid year. The low oil price is here to stay as shale oil producers in the US are innovating tech to keep cost of production low. OPEC is now a toothless bulldog.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/investing/oil-prices-shale-opec-end/index.html
Aspa, coming to Nait/Sait. I would advise you study a more general course like mech, civil, Chem or electrical so that you can be flexible in career choice. Petroleum engineering would narrow you down to that particular industry.
Finally,in Alberta Canada, there are lots more job openings for diploma grads than Bsc/MSC grads.

Are diploma courses(eg construction project management) of 8 months adequate? Can that get one a job? Do you advice that i apply for civil engineering tech in Nait? Will that be better than the construction project management of 8 months ? post graduate work visa and job prospect are my main concern,kindly advice.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=597ec69d-86e2-464b-b359-612be9dfdb62

1 Like

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by imoci(m): 2:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
pls what is NAIT/SAIT.i it here in naija
Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by johnsontade: 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
imoci:
pls what is NAIT/SAIT.i it here in naija

shocked A little search on google would help you.
Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by Nobody: 3:04am On Feb 24, 2015
iykedare:

Are diploma courses(eg construction project management) of 8 months adequate? Can that get one a job? Do you advice that i apply for civil engineering tech in Nait? Will that be better than the construction project management of 8 months ? post graduate work visa and job prospect are my main concern,kindly advice.
You need a 2years course to get a 3years post graduate work permit.
A civil tech/engr could be employed as a construction tech, project coordinator or estimator but ....a construction graduate can't work as a civil tech/engr.
The civil course is more versatile. When the economy is down, construction sector feels the impact but with a civil qualification, you can move to other areas like municipal unlike someone with a construction certificate.

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by Nobody: 3:04am On Feb 24, 2015
iykedare:

A civil tech/engr could be employed as a construction tech, project coordinator or estimator but ....a construction graduate can't work as a civil tech/engr.
The civil course is more versatile. When the economy is down, construction sector feels the impact but with a civil qualification, you can move to other areas like municipal unlike someone with a construction certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by lokoloko84(m): 9:54am On Feb 24, 2015
saxywale:

Guy please as a pharmacist like me,what do you advice.
I am through with my internship program but currently preparing for service.
I want to do my masters abroad preferably in Canada.
Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
saxywale:

I ve heard that it is hard to get visa to study a diploma course. How true is that? How does one work around this?

2 Likes

Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by Nobody: 3:25am On Feb 25, 2015
lokoloko84:
Guy please as a pharmacist like me,what do you advice.
I am through with my internship program but currently preparing for service.
I want to do my masters abroad preferably in Canada.
Avalon316:

I ve heard that it is hard to get visa to study a diploma course. How true is that? How does one work around this?
https://www.nairaland.com/2035081/travelling-canada-part-7/206
Re: Diploma Or Masters? Please Help by nneuba26: 10:24am On May 23, 2016
Good morning all.

I have really learnt a lot from you guys. Thank you all. Please I need advice. My elder brother wants to study welding technology at niagra college. Please. Does any1 know about the school? Is it a good school? Is niagra a good place to settle down and start life? Is welding technology a good course?.. thank you

(1) (Reply)

10 Terrifying Facts About The Bermuda Triangle. / Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? / New Pictures Of Awka, Anambra State Capital (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.