Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Your Worst Cooking Blunder! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Your Worst Cooking Blunder! (2923 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by symbianDON(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2009
what's your worst cooking blunder? mine occurred when i was a little boy still growing (i think i was about 10yrs old at the time). my mum asked me to cook some rice for the family since everyone was going to be away from home that afternoon except me. well, it was first attempt at cooking so here was what i did, i fetched exactly about the quantity that i could finish (when cooked) and put it in a pot. i also repeated the same for every member of the family (four in all). you can imagine what happened when i started cooking. then rice swelled and over filled the pot! i got a bigger pot and continued. in the end, the food was so much it could have fed the family for three days. God!, i was so embarrassed i couldn't tell anyone what happened as i had 'taken care' of the mess before anyone arrived back home. don't ask: i threw away the excess rice! grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by mohawkchic(f): 1:24pm On Jan 03, 2009
symbianDON:

what's your worst cooking blunder? mine occurred when i was a little boy still growing (i think i was about 10yrs old at the time). my mum asked me to cook some rice for the family since everyone was going to be away from home that afternoon except me. well, it was first attempt at cooking so here was what i did, i fetched exactly about the quantity that i could finish (when cooked) and put it in a pot. i also repeated the same for every member of the family (four in all). you can imagine what happened when i started cooking. then rice swelled and over filled the pot! i got a bigger pot and continued. in the end, the food was so much it could have fed the family for three days. God!, i was so embarrassed i couldn't tell anyone what happened as i had 'taken care' of the mess before anyone arrived back home. don't ask: i threw away the excess rice! grin

~ROTFLMAO cheesy Hilarious!! I've had so many blunders cooking African Food,am going to need to choose which deserves the "Worse"
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by iice(f): 2:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
grin grin
Have alot of them grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by mohawkchic(f): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2009
iice:

grin grin
Have alot of them grin

Ha!,  you too ?! cheesy
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by iice(f): 4:20pm On Jan 03, 2009
Yea MC grin grin Blunders in all directions grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by mohawkchic(f): 10:30pm On Jan 03, 2009
~ Uh -Ooh shocked Look like me better small eh . . undecided
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by TOYOSI20(f): 7:38am On Jan 04, 2009
@ Topic

U really don't want to know, . . . like seriously where do i start from, too much salt,

too much pepper, too much oil, under

cooked, over cooked, . . . . . .Phewwwww, this could take all day cheesy, . . . .

the good thing about it though is that we learn

from our mistakes which makes us better cooks, so yeah thank God for Cooking blunders,  grin grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by mohawkchic(f): 2:34pm On Jan 04, 2009
TOYOSI20:

@ Topic

U really don't want to know, . . . like seriously where do i start from, too much salt,

too much pepper, too much oil, under

cooked, over cooked, . . . . . .Phewwwww, this could take all day cheesy, . . . .

the good thing about it though is that we learn

from our mistakes which makes us better cooks, so yeah thank God for Cooking blunders, grin grin

~LMAO cheesy why am i comforted by your admissions? tongue At least its Only w/ African foods from back home i have a problem with!!

~If you ask me,Way TooOo much time spent cooking those food,i'd rather the grill/oven/microwave

~Still mastering the "Art Of Avoiding Blunders"- I suppose the frequency of cooking certain foods makes for learning how Not to do it,but its a rarity for me especially after a blunder!! I just dont bother or when i do try again,its been ages!! sad grin

Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Cayon(f): 3:03pm On Jan 04, 2009
I wasn't sure how to use a "Pressure Cooker"as it was my first time. After placing the chicken, seasonings, ground provisions and dumplings in the pressure cooker I placed the cover on and locked it. while lying in my bed - I heard a loud noise -pow (sounded like a gun shot) Frightened I ran inside the kitchen to see what happened. The pressure cooker cover came off - all the food came out of the pressure cooker and landed on the ceiling and on side of the walls. Called my mom and she explained that pressure cooker is for boiling "hard" stuff like peas etc. embarassed embarassed

And as recent as Friday, I went over by M's house. He asked me to make him some chicken broth. I used an oodle noodle, one Irish potato and 4 chicken wings. Why not add some dumpling (droppers) i thought to myself. For some reason I thought I was making Fried dumpling and i added baking powder to the flour.
Heard the pot boiling over on the stove. My Jesus, all the dumplings were swollen big big big and were floating at the top of the pot. three came out of the pot and landed on the stove. God, I was so embarrassed embarassed embarassed

. . . . and don't get me started on the sugar and salt saga. . shocked shocked
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by lucabrasi(m): 6:14pm On Jan 04, 2009
@canyon
if you still have that pressure cooker,you r best off getting rid of it as its a health and safety hazard,no one buys that type anymore as its been known to kill a few people,that same thing that happened to you killed my family friend's housemaid in nigeria
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Cayon(f): 1:22am On Jan 05, 2009
lucabrasi:

@canyon
if you still have that pressure cooker,you r best off getting rid of it as its a health and safety hazard,no one buys that type anymore as its been known to kill a few people,that same thing that happened to you killed my family friend's housemaid in nigeria
are you serious about this b/c you are scaring me.  Anyway, i use it once in a yellow-moon.  Guess i have to use my slow cooker more often

Slow Cookers vs. Pressure Cookers

http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/slow_cookers_difference_pressure_cookers.htm

Peace
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by spikedcylinder: 9:51am On Jan 05, 2009
Frying meat without cooking it first. I was 13. grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by lucabrasi(m): 2:23am On Jan 06, 2009
Cayon:

are you serious about this b/c you are scaring me. Anyway, i use it once in a yellow-moon. Guess i have to use my slow cooker more often

Slow Cookers vs. Pressure Cookers

http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/slow_cookers_difference_pressure_cookers.htm

Peace
im serious, you r best off buying the new designs where you dont have to lock or clip it on both sides, the newer versions have more safety features
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Tgirl4real(f): 10:17am On Jan 06, 2009
Mine was the first time I tried my hands on baking. A friend asked me to help him bake a cake for his birthday. The cake turned out like a rock embarassed tongue
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Treetop20(m): 3:45am On Jan 07, 2009
mine is too much to mention
i am embarrassed just thinking about them
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by tkb417(m): 10:30am On Jan 08, 2009
cant even cook. maybe i can do indomie
i cooked indomie and the water was too much grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by maedan(f): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2009
Every girl's worst nightmare: getting lumps inside ur amala, pounded yam, or any kind of swallows. First time I tried to make amala for d family, needless to say, it was a shambles. But I learnt fast and now I make, flow-down-ur-throat swallows . . . tongue
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by tuney4lv: 11:11pm On Jan 08, 2009
hi peepz, sign up at *9jalandz.onmbl.com* itz naija home, itz fun, itz free, itz naija home of tricks
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by tuney4lv: 11:17pm On Jan 08, 2009
hi peepz, sign up at *9jalandz.onmbl.com* itz naija home, itz fun, itz free, itz naija home of tricks
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by TOYOSI20(f): 4:29am On Jan 12, 2009
Oh. . . . . how may times i got rice burnt!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by chukwubele(f): 11:55am On Jan 13, 2009
Wow my worst blunders (amongst many) did not know anything about the pepper called shombo. Well it looked nice and very cheap. Bought a whole lot of it and used it in making what was supposed to have been a very delicious yam with green vegetables, was very nice but then you could only find that out after spooning into your mouth hoooooooooot chilli pepper. disastrous!!!!.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Shaz(f): 6:08pm On Jan 14, 2009
too much salt. .

and the one I can never forget, twas my cousin though, she had already fried the egg with pepper and onions and all the gbogbos and she was like . . "what else can I add?". .

that's how the girl added Vanilla flavor to the egg, the 'worstest' mistake ever. Even she couldn't eat the egg.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by TINAOGE: 11:18am On Jan 19, 2009
I had lots of cooking blunders in the past but the worst was when I was asked to prepare jollof rice, after missing everything together I was stirring it every five minutes, the jollof rice when ready was like porridge yam.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 22, 2009
When i was 7 0r 8, i wanted to cook and suprise my whole family. It would have been a perfect meal of jollof rice that is until i added potash as my finishing ingriedent. Disaster. No one has ever let me forget
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by tRoOE(f): 3:15am On Jan 25, 2009
Everyday is a cooking blunder, am use to it now jare
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Aladunni(f): 2:04pm On Jan 27, 2009
its more of a surprise than a blunder

after stocking the soup with all the orishirishi i know, after adding palmoil (ogbono soup), the stuff just turned black, tasty but black, cant explain what happened that day, its 8 good years now
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by agaba123(m): 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2009
Making rice stew and adding too much oil

One of my friends quiped, ' the stew is sweet but it appears you bought the vegetable oil very cheap' embarassed embarassed embarassed
Good she said that though. grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by lepasharon(f): 12:54am On Jan 11, 2012
embarassed
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by vb0mb(m): 7:11am On Jan 11, 2012
Mine was a very BAD blunder. I used kerosine in place of groundnut oil while cooking stew.

1 Like

Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by dollya(f): 10:39am On Jan 11, 2012
2yrs ago, i slept over at my bf's place wink in d morning i decided to  fry eggs for his breakfast n i mistakely added suga insted of salt undecided
i was sooooo  embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 12, 2012
As a kid, I added garri to rice. I thought it was like garri and beans shocked
Re: Your Worst Cooking Blunder! by webbjamie(m): 1:32pm On Jan 19, 2012
It was my first year in the university,my roommates and i had contributed what little we had on us to cook since we were all stone broke.I was given the task of preparing the soup due to my incessant boasting about my culinary prowess,but in truth i couldn't even cook to save my own life, i ended up putting waayyyy too much water in the soup grin, Na sieve we come take dish the soup grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

TREAT & CURE GENITAL WARTS PERMANENTLY / Nakiya & Alkali Recipe Plssssssss! / Man Discovers Wall Gecko Inside An Okpa He Was Eating (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.