Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja (27922 Views)

Governors Loyal To Tinubu, Atiku Absent At Meeting With APC NWC / Aregbesola Worships With Bishops In Osogbo Church / Buhari Meets With Catholic Bishops In Aso Rock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Rilwayne001: 5:16pm On Feb 11, 2015
Muhammadu Buhari, Professor Osinbajo and members of
the APC campaign council met with Catholic Bishops in
Abuja yesterday. Below is GMB's speech at the meeting.

One Nation Bound in Freedom, Peace and Unity.

As our nation approaches perhaps the most crucial election in our history, all true patriots are called to deeper reflection of the basic ingredients that bind the nation together- our common freedom, peace and unity.
This reflection is even more relevant in the face of the illegal postponement of the general elections- a feat achieved through various sinister ploys and with the sole aim of avoiding the will and verdict of the people. In all of these, I feel the urgeto communicate some of my personal vision and thoughts to the people of our great country,especially on the question of religion, a sensitive matter for many citizens that has become the most frequently used tool by the ruling party. This affordsme an opportunity to give my response to the ruling party’s false propaganda and lies against my person.

Needless to say, we must at all times hold the unity,
peace and progress of our dear nation paramount and above all other considerations, especially politics. Those who deliberately disseminate divisive disinformation and attempt to stoke primordial sentiments using religion or ethnicity and create fear in the minds of our people fail the standard of patriotism this nation demands of them and deserves from them. The ruling government and PDP have adopted this sad divisive and false narrative as their strategy to prevent the inevitable change that our country and people desire and require. And they have succeeded in making some of us victims of the tales which they invent,propagate and sell as gospel truth to gullible listeners, while it is all nothing but a tissue of lies. I would like to solemnly declare that in spite of what our detractors say, I am not a religious fanatic of any sort and I have never been. In all my life, I have never supported extremism of any kind, and nowhere in my record of service to this nation can this false toga, political opponents have tried so hard to put on me, be substantiated. Indeed, it is very unfortunate and I feel extremely sad that I have to give this type of assurance.

My background is in the army, and there is no doubt that the military is the most integrated pan-Nigerian institution. And even today, the military is one of the institutions that represents the pride of our nation’s possibilities in unity.Compatriots from every corner of this country come together, work and live together, entrust their lives to each other and integrate their families. It is a military where many of my dearest friends, from all faiths and parts of the country, lost their lives defending the unity of our nation. That was the military I served in, and in that military it was impossible to be a bigot.

For me, the issue of religion was, and should always, be a matter of personal conviction. This personal conviction approach to religion has defined my work and interactions all my life, including my tenure in office as military Head of State. The religion of all those I worked with was never a factor in their progress or in what happened to them. All that mattered then, and should still matter today, are competence, integrity and readiness to be fair to all.
I was recently informed that we had a balanced cabinet with key positions such as Finance, Energy and Defence occupied by Christians. In addition, 11 of the 19 governors I appointed were Christians. My most memorable recollections of subordinate service was under Christian bosses, the finest our country had then, and among the most respected today. Indeed one of the best appraisals I received in the course of my military career was from General T.Y Danjuma.

Government has no business preferring one religion to the other. The role of government is to protect lives and properties of citizens and to respect and protect their constitutional rights. One critical freedom that every government must strive to protect is the liberty for citizens to exercise their respective faiths, Christians and Muslims or others, in a lawful manner without fear or hindrance and to prosecute those who use religion as an excuse to destroy homes, schools and places of worship.
When governments fail in that duty, they must then assist in the rebuilding of structures including destroyed places of worship and giving full restitution for lost property.
We, Nigerians, are a religious people, and the burning of places of worship constitutes one of the vilest forms of abomination to all those who believe in God. It is the
duty of governments to protect this important sensitivity.
Let me state this categorically, that [size=13pt] I, MuhammaduBuhari, as an individual, and as president of this great country by the grace of God, given the opportunity to serve, have no personal religious agenda. And I will not entertain, consider or promote the religious agenda of anyone. I will not condone any initiative that seeks to promote onevreligion over the other. Neither I, nor my party, or any member of my team has any desire or plan to Islamize or Christianize Nigeria or support anyone with such intention. [/size]

Although I am a practising Muslim, and I have been so all my life, I have never belonged to, nor shared the views of, any extremist group. I am not even a cleric. I believe that religion is personal and private. Many of the people close to me are not of my religion. My cook and driver for 20 years are Christians, Most of my bodyguards are Christians. Some were killed while protecting me in the terrorist attack on my convoy in Kaduna. If I have not Islamized these people who serve under me, how will I Islamize the likes of Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, Ogbonnaya Onu, Governors RochasOkorocha, Kayode Fayemi, Rotimi Amaechi or Professor Yemi Osinbajo who
is a senior advocate of Nigeria and a pastor? Or how will I Islamize Nigeria?

Our constitution, which in many respects, is similar to the American constitution does not permit a state religion. The Sharia identified in the constitution is almost synonymous with customary law. It is only applicable in matters of personal status such as marriage, divorce and inheritance. This has been the case since the 1979 constitution. Just as no one can make any customary or any other religious law the law of Nigeria, so Sharia cannot therefore be the law of Nigeria.

My record is evidence of this strongly held belief. Before my tenure, the deadly and violent extremist radical sect, Maitasine carried out terrorist activities in the north, especially Kano; When it erupted again in Yola, during my tenure, I took direct command, and personally led the successful effort to eradicate the threat to our country.Similarly, when some Chadian insurgents attempted to occupy Nigerian territory, I led the military confrontation that eliminated the threat.

For all purposes, we must all learn to live together as brothers and sisters, because the problems that bedevil our nation do not discriminate based on religion or ethnicity. Poverty and hunger do not know or respect religion or creed. When a bomb explodes in a market, it kills and maims without regard for religion or ethnicity. The millions of the unemployed youth of our country cut across all tribes and religions.

Wicked propagandists continue to spread vicious lies about me for political gain, including claiming that I once asked Muslims not to vote for Christians. This must be the height of absurdity.How could I ever say that, when whoever voted for me would be voting for the Christian running with me on the same ticket? And how could I ever say that of Christians when my own holy book, the Qur’an, tells me that in the entire world those that arebnearest in love to me are those who believe in JesusbChrist [AS]? I ask, who, intending to win any election,ever does that? How can I choose southern Christian running mates [Chuba Okadigbo of blessed memory, Pastor Tunde Bakare and Pastor YemiOsinbajo] and with them by my side make such silly utterances? Because they have no record, they must seek to destroy our own; and because they have no integrity, they feel they must impugn our own.

We must reject those who propagate hatred, ethnicity,divisiveness, sectionalism or seek to manipulate our religious differences in such cynical fashion. On our part, we will remain undeterred: our commitment is to bring about change in the way we live and think and work in this nation; and our goal is to ensure a decent existence for all. And, by the Grace of God, that is what we will do —we will remain true to our commitment and we will achieve our goal.

May God bless Nigeria and its people for all time.
General Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR

https://m.facebook.com/votebuhari/posts/10152739471892734

196 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by delishpot: 5:19pm On Feb 11, 2015
Ok. May the best man win.

14 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Rilwayne001: 5:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
I believe Jonathan and TANoids after readin this message will shed tears because they will all regret propagating false # AIT. and NTA.

Seun lalasticlala ishilove . Abegg you guys in the name if whatever God you worship, Please let the world know about this GMB's stance on religious, let those who have fallen to the lies and propaganda of PDPs know the truth in other for them to be freed. Thank u.

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Change2015(m): 5:30pm On Feb 11, 2015
On point. This is what I have been arguing for years, no state can legally declare itself to have a religion! This rot started under Obasanjo - pdp, and instead of Obasanjo challenging Zamfara state in the supreme Court, he let it slide. How will that deter the boko haram idiots who dream of their perverse Islamic caliphate even as they slaughter every Muslim who disagrees with them?
Buhari speaks with a simple clarity about the salient issues, and shows yet again, what a credible candidate he is. Well said our General.

#change
#GMB
#APC

122 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
Buhari is our choice.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by ndcide(m): 5:33pm On Feb 11, 2015
Absolute BULL..!
this man said Muslims should vote Muslims only.

This man never showed statesmanship when Churches were being bombed. it is at the eleventh hour he's saying all this bleeding crap because he wants vote. This man have not spoken against boko haram. he simply politically blames the FG and add some soft lines to show condemnation.

Abeg he should relax.if he is not President nothing will happen.

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by egift(m): 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2015

The Leadership we can trust. Sai Buhari.

109 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by alaoeri: 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
PDP campaign of calumny is no more working, GMB gathering momentum & support on a daily basis, saTANist like Okupe, FFK & Omokri are ranting on social media which is not helping there master's course, everywhere you go CHANGE is what ppl are talking about.
Sai Buhari.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by egift(m): 5:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
[s]
ndcide:
Absolute BULL..!

This man never showed statesmanship when Churches were being bombed. it is at the eleventh hour he's saying all this bleeding crap because he wants vote. This man have not spoken against boko haram. he simply politically blames the FG and add some soft lines to show condemnation.

[/s]

You are drinking too much JonaSambo Bottle of Propaganda. Stop it before it start tormenting your soul.

Nigerians will not be distracted with lies. The Change we seek is here. Sai Buhari.

107 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 11, 2015
u ppl were expecting him to go there and say
" hey u fifule listen to me ! Will islamize all op you wen i am president... is that what u were expecting?

Yea thats what i thot!!

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by mrmetoo1: 5:38pm On Feb 11, 2015
Powerful! Honestly I don't want to imagine what he and his family go through with all the evil false accusations. May God help us all, may we not heap curses on our heads by ourselves by destroying a person's character for our personal gain

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 11, 2015
mrmetoo1:
Powerful! Honestly I don't want to imagine what he and his family go through with all the evil false accusations. May God help us all, may we not heap curses on our heads by ourselves by destroying a person's character for our personal gain
hypocrite!!!!! Oh wen u insult president GEJ, u dont imagine what his family has to go thru? When u insult his wife, and make all those disrecpectful remarks on his office,
See ur life?

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by bros12345: 5:41pm On Feb 11, 2015
But Oga you said sometime ago that you will continue to push for Sharia in the tine past. haba baba. so because of this election na you dey lie like this. anyway the bishops and Nigerians know better

a leopard cannot cleanse its spots

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Gbawe: 5:42pm On Feb 11, 2015
A Presidential speech from a Presidential leader. We hear you loud and clear GMB.

We must reject those who propagate hatred, ethnicity,divisiveness, sectionalism or seek to manipulate our religious differences in such cynical fashion. On our part, we will remain undeterred: our commitment is to bring about change in the way we live and think and work in this nation; and our goal is to ensure a decent existence for all. And, by the Grace of God, that is what we will do —we will remain true to our commitment and we will achieve our goal.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 11, 2015
[size=58pt]Taqiyya[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Ventura1: 5:44pm On Feb 11, 2015
Sai Baba

11 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Hardetayour: 5:46pm On Feb 11, 2015
Now that he has said the truth, I expect to see video evidence not newspaper cut about Buhari saying he wants to Islamise the country. If u don't have evidence, don't quote me.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Babare(m): 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
I heard Crusader Pension managers are in charge of GMB's pensions... Let him just relax and enjoy his retirement benefits because he is not the "change" Nigeria needs.

His ancient thick-tongue makes it more difficult.

America can't continue colonizing us via the old man who is ready to bend to all their will just to get power out of greed.

Nigerians are wiser.

APC should give us FASHOLA or ROCHAS, not MR. KWARAPSHION.

Meanwhile, the Catholic Bishops know GMB, no need for him to WINE them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by BashirAhmad1(m): 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2015
This is Buhari, the man who could be Nigeria's next President. Buhari has passion to lead this country to the promise land. He want us to be proud of our country again.

Sai Buhari

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by omenka(m): 5:54pm On Feb 11, 2015

Because they have no record, they must seek to destroy our own; and because they have no integrity, they feel they must impugn our own.
Nothing defines the path of PDP's campaign more than these lines!! This is solid Gold!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by ndcide(m): 5:55pm On Feb 11, 2015
egift:
[s][/s]

You are drinking too much JonaSambo Bottle of Propaganda. Stop it before it start tormenting your soul.

Nigerians will not be distracted with lies. The Change we seek is here. Sai Buhari.

Which of my statement is propaganda?

Okay buhari never plotted a coup. This should suite you.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by focus7: 5:55pm On Feb 11, 2015
Buhari has displayed more leadership quality than Jonathan, he has shown to be more skillful and mature. While Jonathan has tried to divide the nation on ethno-religion path, Buhari has identified with every section. Buhari is a true leader.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by dazdilijae(m): 5:57pm On Feb 11, 2015
egift:
[s][/s]

Pls go to google and search for Buhari's interview 2011 n hear hin say wit his mouth that he said Muslims should vote 4 Muslims although he tried to twist d meanin bt he said it. The bible say out of the abundance of d heart the mouth speaks not all this writen speeches 4m AKPC or wats d Oboma boys name. They r jus campaign talk in other words story 4 d gods
A leopard can never change its spots

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 11, 2015
hmmm, GMB is really desperate this time around.
GMB has now copied the PDP style of going from
church to church. Maybe he is now 'born again', &
no longer the fanatical supporter of the
implementation of sharia law, & the official
sympathizer of the Boko Haram, we used to know.
We just dey watch you, because we know that the
heart of man is deceitful and a leopard can not
change its spots.
Just wondering aloud, Why he is not also visiting
the Imams & d mosques. After all, charity should
begin @ home. Hope he would still be fraternizing
with them after he loses the elections.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by omenka(m): 5:58pm On Feb 11, 2015
Gbawe:
A Presidential speech from a Presidential leader. We hear you loud and clear GMB.

This man is in a league of his own. Sometimes I feel Nigeria, given her reputation for disrepute, doesn't deserve a gentleman in the mould of the General.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by omenka(m): 6:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
Rilwayne001:
I believe Jonathan and TANoids after readin this message will shed tears because they will all regret propagating false # AIT. and NTA.

Seun lalasticlala ishilove . Abegg you guys in the name if whatever God you worship, Please let the world know about this GMB's stance on religious, let those who have fallen to the lies and propaganda of PDPs know the truth in other for them to be freed. Thank u

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by johnmartus(m): 6:02pm On Feb 11, 2015
Dear General no matter how you can defend yourself this rebellion children wouldn't listen

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by MalcoImX: 6:03pm On Feb 11, 2015
ndcide:
Absolute BULL..!

The exact statement was " ...vote for those who'll protect your religion." How could that be equated to vote for ONLY Muslims? OBJ is Christian and don't be surprised majority of Muslims will vote for him over many Muslims in the corridors of power today. The simple reason being he'll protect people of both faiths.

11 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by theV0ice: 6:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
GMB just confirmed the below in his speech

MrBow:
TRENDING ON BB BY BUHARI SUPPORTERS.... THIS WAS HOW (BUHARI) CONSTITUTED HIS GOVERNMENT WHEN HE WAS HEAD OF STATE BTWN 1982-1984 :

It is a pity that many have given themselves to deceit.
General Muhammadu Buhari's Governors
1984-1985
1. Allison Madueke - Christian-Anambra.
2. Jeremiah Useni - Christian - Bendel.
3. Micheal Bamidele - Christian Ondo.
4. Oladipo Diya - Christian - Ogun.
5. David Mark - Christian - Niger.
6. John Kpera - Christian - Benue.
7. Dan Achibong - Christian - C/Rivers.
8. Ike Nwachukwu -Christian -Imo.
9. Oladipo Popoola - Christian - Oyo.
10.Bitrus Atukum - Christian - Plateau.
11. B.L. Letimah - Christian - Rivers.
12. Salaudeen Latinwo - Muslim-Kwara.
13. Gbolahan Mudasiru - Atheist-Lagos.
14. Sani Sami -Muslim - Bauchi.
15. Abubakar Waziri - Muslim - Borno.
16. Muhammadu Jega - Muslim - Gongola.
17. Usman Mu'azu - Muslim - Kaduna.
18. Hamza Abdullahi - Muslim - Kano.
19. Garba Duba -Muslim -Sokoto General
[size=14pt]Out of 19 governors , 11 were Christians, 7 Muslims and 1 Atheist.[/size]
Buhari's Ministers;
1. Domkat Bali - Christian - Defence.
2. Onaolapo Sholeye -Christian-Finance.
3. Emmanuel Nsan - Christian - Health.
4. Sam Omeruah - Christian-Information.
5. Tam David West - Christian - Petroleum.
6. Patrick Koshoni - Christian - Works.
7. Chike Offodile - Christian - Justice. *Clement Isong - Christian Gov, CBN.

Defence, works, petroleum, justice, finance and CBN governor were all Christians.
Lets stop the baseless accusation against this revolutionist and face reality. We shouldn't just because we want to kill a dog, give it a bad name
Let us vote for change. Don't let them deceive you. Let's Change Nigeria!

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by MalcoImX: 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2015
dazdilijae:

Pls go to google and search for Buhari's interview 2011 n hear hin say wit his mouth that he said Muslims should vote 4 Muslims although he tried to twist d meanin bt he said it. The bible say out of the abundance of d heart the mouth speaks not all this writen speeches 4m AKPC or wats d Oboma boys name. They r jus campaign talk in other words story 4 d gods
A leopard can never change its spots
Help us with the link.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 11, 2015

A former Chief Press Secretary to the late Governor, Chief Kehinde Olaosebikan, yesterday said in Abuja that a conflict between Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani would have thrown the country into another war.

He told our correspondent that a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, had led a combative delegation of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) to meet Adesina in 2000 in his office.
According to him, “Precisely on the 13th of October, 2000, former military Head of State, General Muhammadu Buhari, in company with former Military administrator of Lagos State, General Buba Marwa, had led a heavy team of Arewa Consultative Forum in a combative mood to the office of the governor in protest against the alleged killings of over 69 Fulani cattle herders in Saki Area of the state.
“General Buhari whose arrival to the Secretariat complex was preceded by scores of lorry loads of Hausa men and boys said pointedly at the executive council chambers of Oyo State that his team came to meet the governor to seek reasons why the people of Saki should not be dealt with for killing Fulani herdsmen. He did not stop at that, Gen Buhari accused Governor Lam Adesina of complicity in the killings and using his position as governor to pervert justice.
He quoted the former Head of State as accusing the former governor of shielding the culprits. According to the General, they therefore wanted immediate stoppage of the killings, justice
and compensation for the mass killings of the Fulanis or vengeance across the country. Olaosebikan added: “As weighty, indicting and provocative as the General’s allegations were against the governor, Alhaji Lam Adesina remained unperturbed as he only fired back with his own well- coordinated arsenals in form of refined strategy, robust explanations and effective engagements.
“Lam Adesina identified all the points raised by the General and simply asked the heads of the organisations directly involved to respond.”
He quoted Lam Adesina as saying: “ Before I thank you for this visit, you have come to tell me something, I also want to tell you something and that something is to make an appeal. General Buhari
has been a former Head of State,
Brigadier Marwa has governed Lagos for some time and with credibility… so you are national
leaders of this country. Even though, by accident of birth, you are from the North, so you can be
born anywhere, may be next time when I am coming to the world I will be born in the North or the
South South.’

Source
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/how-lam-prevented-another-civil-war/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Speech At Meeting With Catholic Bishops In Abuja by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
lalasticlala seun ishilove pls front page. thnxx in advandce.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikpeazu Flags Off Reconstruction Of Port-Harcourt Road Aba, An FG Road (Pics) / Drama As Ezekwesili Signs 2019 General Elections Peace Accord / Rivers: George Kelly-Alabo, Chinwenwo Aguma resign as Commissioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.