Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,236 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance (1834 Views)

Audu’s Death, Faleke’s Legal Significance & Why The Law Cannot author Confusion / Court Orders Alternative In Buhari Disqualification Suit / The Significance Of Late Dim Ojukwu; Ikemba, In The Political Evolution Of Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 4:52pm On Jan 03, 2009
The developed nations are initiating policies for renewable and alternative energy source. This includes reducing oil and natural gas consumption by seeking alternative natural (GREEN) energy output for public consumption.  The agenda is targeted at the impact of combusted carbon and fossil fuel on the environment.  Here are some of the alternatives currently under consideration - it's not a full list:

Wind power, solar power, nuclear power, coal power, water power, agro oils, e.t.c.

Let us look at what we already have available and will require minimum funding to get into operation.

Nigeria has ample opportunity to join the global discussion for alternatives and I say this because we have savannah beltland with great topology to build miles and miles of wind tunnell. 

We are within the 0 and 30 degrees of latitude of the equator, our climate guarantees year round sunlight with minimal shifts in temperature range, giving us abundance of solar energy more than we need for public consumption.

We already have Kainji hydro power, we need to explore more opportunities in remote areas and tap into water current to expand hydro energy, possibly for exporting. 

Agro oils - Nigeria has a lot of oil producing nuts and crops - soy, palm nut, ground nut,, etc,   Best among them is corn for ethanol.  When petrol was selling for about $2.50 per gallon, ethanol competed and sold for about $1.75 per gallon  at the pumps. 

The only energy source that will require monumental resource is Nuclear energy.  Uranium is in Niger so we dont have to go too far for the raw material but then the safety and political ramifications in terms of cost/benefits consideration does not make it a practical option for our country.  Beside if we can successfully install and operate the other sources, who needs nuclear energy? 

Nigerians, please contribute your inputs, what do you think?   My intent for this thread is to have positive and concise discussion about global issues and how it affects us politically, commercially and socially. I am seeking well meaning and intelligent people to contribute brilliantly to these global ideas.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 6:07pm On Jan 03, 2009
Instead of us burning the refuse in front of our homes or pouring in our rivers, we can generate energy from our waste. Set up a proper waste management policy and power our homes and businesses  with our waste. Easy way to go green and keep our environment clean. This can easily be done even at the LG level. If each LG can generate 50mw. Our electricity will never go out again.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 2:10am On Jan 04, 2009
How come no interest in renewable energy?

I think this are the type of topic we need to spend our time on. tongue tongue
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by blacksta(m): 11:28am On Jan 04, 2009
@ poster

Story story - The question for you my friend - what are you going to do about it?
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04, 2009
Story story - The question for you my friend - what are you going to do about it?

Blacksta,

This is a good question and a challenging one. It is a fact that the members in NL are a new breed of Nigerians. We exist on the web, we are far from one another but yet within close touch of one another, we are smart, we are visionary, we are practical, we are tactful and diplomatic and desire changes that will make our country compete gainfully in the spirit of global advancement.

Now, let us imagine that we form a virtual central government here in NL. The central government has layers of committees broken into the various departmental versions that exist on the ground in Abuja - such as Finance, Culture and Information, Communication, Trade and Commerce, Energy, . . . e.t.c. That further, this central government empowers itself to pass resolutions on issues passed upward from its sub-layered committees. The resolution is then packaged and forwarded to the Nigerian Legislature in Abuja as nothing more than the popular views of a new breed of Nigerians seeking partnership for change on the proposed item/s. Further along on this imaginary path, the proposals are discussed on the floor of the House and the Senate and voted on and then enacted into law or adopted into rules. With time, the virtual government will become the king maker and enforce influential powers sufficiently far-reaching that candidates for political posts will seek its approval and endorsement.

In reality what I described above is not an imagination, it is how lobbyists operate. We can form a lobbying power to influence the changes we desire.

I am not a superman, neither am I an hero figure out to save humanity from an impending calamity but I am a far thinking individual focused in expressing the ideas that sprout up in my head, per chance another individual might see sense in it and knows how to actuate it to the next step of involvement where someone else could pick up on it and advance it further to the next level. In its progression stages it evolves into something better than was envisioned by the last task owner and so that when it finally completes and emerge as a product, it could be 50yrs later, but at last, Nigeria has produced an item that we all collectively own and proud of. That's what makes a Nation.

This is the fundamental flow for the employment of manpower, sometimes called "division of labor" -

the ideation of a thought - invention or creativity
strategizing the idea - leadership and form
selling the strategy as a viable task - design of experiments, limits, substance and marketing
mapping the task - flow chart, process map, rules and standards, protocols and conventions
implementing the process - production line, standard operating procedures, contingencies, systems, service
measuring the outcome - key indicators, productivity/efficiency/attainment, analysis, reports, forecasts
sustaining improvements - control points, quality index, evaluation, expectations, feedback.

Nigeria can make a positive impact and establish lead in the discussion on renewable energy for the reasons I already stated in opening post - we have abundant resources located in different parts of the country, though dormant but can be activated to generate interest in capital investment and job creation at the local level. In the division of labor outline, this will be at the "form" stage. Now I should redirect your question and ask if there is anyone out there willing to lobby Abuja (selling the strategy) and open their eyes to these issues that they may not otherwise be mindful of or care to undertake.

I must remind you that we all need to join hands, assuming we see the need to, and not leave it to one person to do.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 8:14pm On Jan 04, 2009
Before I make any comment I would like yout to change the topic to something that accommodates every aspect of energy. Something like Energy Challenge in Nigeria

The so called renewable eneryg, are not all renewable especially when one considers the the overall energy input in the production of the equipment, energy converters and finally the harnessing condition.

Yes some energy sources are considered renewable: like wind and solar. These are by far the most reconginized renewable energy. The rest, such was biomass (including the agricultural waste, animal/human waste and domestic waste) can only be considered renewable if the rate of consumption does not outstrip the rate of replinishment. Nigeria, being in tropics and with vast population (within a tiny enclave of land), biomass utilization will not be environmentally friendly, unless the government is willing to invest in forest cultivation for energy, which is economically unsustainable.

When we look at the waste into energy, not all domestic waste can be burned, the waste have to be processed (the non-combustible component and some highly toxic chemicals that may end up producing dangerous pollutant, have to removed). The efficiency of such systems is very low. It is highly impossible to generate 50 MW from every local government. However 2 - 3 local governments can combine their waste in one place and can conviniently generate upto 100 MW. A fluidized bed combustor that can burn 50 ton/hr of biomass (high quality) can produce about 70 - 100 MW of electricity. I believe some states like Jigawa and Yobe, which are largely farming states, have a large chunk of agricultural waste can be used to produce at least 200 - 300 MW of electricity. There are large number of such combustors in europe, india and china too. I see no reason why our government will not look into that.

Infact in Nigeria, we need a complete mix of energy sources. Industrial nations cannot depend on small scale energy sources. There is no any country that is developing that doesnt have a large energy systems except Nigeria. Sometimes I used to wonder what kind of poeple are ruling Nigeria? I personally if given the responsibility of solving Nigerian energy crises will do better that those old fools.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2009
Before I make any comment I would like yout to change the topic to something that accommodates every aspect of energy. Something like Energy Challenge in Nigeria.

The so called renewable eneryg, are not all renewable especially when one considers the the overall energy input in the production of the equipment, energy converters and finally the harnessing condition.

Yes some energy sources are considered renewable: like wind and solar. These are by far the most reconginized renewable energy. The rest, such was biomass (including the agricultural waste, animal/human waste and domestic waste) can only be considered renewable if the rate of consumption does not outstrip the rate of replinishment. Nigeria, being in tropics and with vast population (within a tiny enclave of land), biomass utilization will not be environmentally friendly, unless the government is willing to invest in forest cultivation for energy, which is economically unsustainable.

When we look at the waste into energy, not all domestic waste can be burned, the waste have to be processed (the non-combustible component and some highly toxic chemicals that may end up producing dangerous pollutant, have to removed). The efficiency of such systems is very low. It is highly impossible to generate 50 MW from every local government. However 2 - 3 local governments can combine their waste in one place and can conviniently generate upto 100 MW. A fluidized bed combustor that can burn 50 ton/hr of biomass (high quality) can produce about 70 - 100 MW of electricity. I believe some states like Jigawa and Yobe, which are largely farming states, have a large chunk of agricultural waste can be used to produce at least 200 - 300 MW of electricity. There are large number of such combustors in europe, india and china too. I see no reason why our government will not look into that.

Infact in Nigeria, we need a complete mix of energy sources. Industrial nations cannot depend on small scale energy sources. There is no any country that is developing that doesnt have a large energy systems except Nigeria. Sometimes I used to wonder what kind of poeple are ruling Nigeria? I personally if given the responsibility of solving Nigerian energy crises will do better that those old fools.

Outluk,

Impressive response! I will start from bottom and work my way up - some of the highlited points are supportive and form one line of thought. You are a new breed of Nigerian and yes you can solve the problem but you will succeed in a partnership than going alone at it. Teamwork will get us there and that's explained better in my response above to Blacksta.

Say in Jigawa or Yobe, in addition to the estimated 200-300 MW coming from agro waste, other inputs like wind and solar could raise the capacity to double or triple output units totalling between 600 - 900 MW. Would such output be sufficient to sustain peak electricity consumption at the local state level?

There are many benefits to this idea. Considering that we have many border states, there could be economic gains from exporting electricity to another country and thus generate a national revenue pool. This gives equity interest to Jigawa or Yobe to expand the incentive by pushing research and development into other aspects of resourcefullness not before considered but which nonetheless raises its stakes for technological advancement and self sufficiency away from oil profits. This is the drive behind why I opened the thread. The message is to collectively work together in finding alternative means for the states to become self sufficient and less reliant on oil profits for their budget and the well being of their people.

In few years electric cars will gain wide popularity. We should be prepared for that expansion in electricity consumption. Small countries are expanding their industrial growth and will continue to need oil. OPEC will still dominate oil pricing and when price go up, ethanol from corn and other agricultural grains can compete and generate revenue for farmers.

The post is ideological but I recognise the weight that your response bears on the vision. Do you still think the title should be changed? Whatever it is must encompass the vision so that its not just on energy, its not just on economy and its not just on politics. Its a package!
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2009
Well, to me I feel by leaving the title as Renewable Energy, it will narrow the scope of the discussion. I will prefer it to be an open discussion about all the energy resources (Coal, Nuclear, Oil &Gas) and harnessing them.

Negro_Ntns:

[/b]

Outluk,

Say in Jigawa or Yobe, in addition to the estimated 200-300 MW coming from agro waste, other inputs like wind and solar could raise the capacity to double or triple output units totalling between 600 - 900 MW. Would such output be sufficient to sustain peak electricity consumption at the local state level?

There are many benefits to this idea. Considering that we have many border states, there could be economic gains from exporting electricity to another country and thus generate a national revenue pool. This gives equity interest to Jigawa or Yobe to expand the incentive by pushing research and development into other aspects of resourcefullness not before considered but which nonetheless raises its stakes for technological advancement and self sufficiency away from oil profits. This is the drive behind why I opened the thread. The message is to collectively work together in finding alternative means for the states to become self sufficient and less reliant on oil profits for their budget and the well being of their people.

In few years electric cars will gain wide popularity. We should be prepared for that expansion in electricity consumption. Small countries are expanding their industrial growth and will continue to need oil. OPEC will still dominate oil pricing and when price go up, ethanol from corn and other agricultural grains can compete and generate revenue for farmers.

The post is ideological but I recognise the weight that your response bears on the vision. Do you still think the title should be changed? Whatever it is must encompass the vision so that its not just on energy, its not just on economy and its not just on politics. Its a package!

You have made a wonderful observation, and your suggestion about expanding the electricity source to include wind and solar is interesting. The only problem is that wind energy, particularly for electricity will not be commercially feasible except in the highlands of Jos and Mambila, where wind speeds averaged morethan 10 m/s. For wind energy to be commerically viable, based on the current technologies, it requires at least 10 m/s of wind speed. However, the solar energy looks very promising. With the high intensity of sun, and average sun hours more than 10hrs throughout the year, solar power, either thermal or photovoltaic can play a significant role in meeting the energy needs. The government need to invest in production of solar photovoltaic. By doing that, millions of jobs will be created directly. In Jigawa and Yobe, which are sparsely populated with no trees, it will be usefull to utilized the land for electricty. Not only Jigawa, most of the far Northern states, like Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina, Borno, Northern- Bauchi state, and Kano will effectively generate their own electricity from solar. Fo instance, Germany, which happened to be in europe with relatively lower sun hours than Nigeria, generate morethan 900 MW electricy from solar PV. I believe by using the combine biomass and solar PV, the far northern states can be energy sufficient.

Millions of jobs will also be created if the biomass industry is develop directly, from the production, gathering, and transportation to farming area. It will also provide an effective means for disposing the large agricultural waste.

We also have small-hydro power, that can easily be harnesse. Infact these small hydro are more advantageous economically because hydro power doesnt need fuel, and have lower maintenance cost than any power plant apart from wind turbine. I have identified some rivers that could be used for small hydro when I did my national service. I have even done the estimation of the electricty that can be obtained from them. I dont have the papers with me, but I will get them and share them with you if you are interested.

I think there is a need to write something like a policy paper on the energy outluke, for such proposal to be adopted. We need as many contributors as possible.

There are vast amount of energy resouces which if harnessed, Nigeria wont only be energy independent, but we will be industrial power house.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2009
@Negro_ntns
@OutlukBabe

GMTA

Negro_ntns 's response to blacksta makes a lot of sense and this possible. What will pain me is if this challenge dies.

You have my support and when do we start.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by PapaBrowne(m): 11:20pm On Jan 04, 2009
OutlukBabe:

Well, to me I feel by leaving the title as Renewable Energy, it will narrow the scope of the discussion. I will prefer it to be an open discussion about all the energy resources (Coal, Nuclear, Oil &Gas) and harnessing them.

You have made a wonderful observation, and your suggestion about expanding the electricity source to include wind and solar is interesting. The only problem is that wind energy, particularly for electricity will not be commercially feasible except in the highlands of Jos and Mambila, where wind speeds averaged morethan 10 m/s. For wind energy to be commerically viable, based on the current technologies, it requires at least 10 m/s of wind speed. However, the solar energy looks very promising. With the high intensity of sun, and average sun hours more than 10hrs throughout the year, solar power, either thermal or photovoltaic can play a significant role in meeting the energy needs. The government need to invest in production of solar photovoltaic. By doing that, millions of jobs will be created directly. In Jigawa and Yobe, which are sparsely populated with no trees, it will be usefull to utilized the land for electricty. Not only Jigawa, most of the far Northern states, like Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina, Borno,  Northern- Bauchi state, and Kano will effectively generate their own electricity from solar. Fo instance, Germany, which happened to be in europe with relatively lower sun hours than Nigeria, generate morethan 900 MW electricy from solar PV. I believe by using the combine biomass and solar PV, the far northern states can be energy sufficient.

There are vast amount of energy resouces which if harnessed, Nigeria wont only be energy independent, but we will be industrial power house.

How about close to the ocean in the coastal states. I thought wind speed closer to the Oceans would be pretty fast. Educate me please.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 11:27pm On Jan 04, 2009
@PapaBrowne
Based on my research, we can get 12.5 m/s @ Lagos ocean front.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 3:26am On Jan 05, 2009
I have even done the estimation of the electricty that can be obtained from them. I don't have the papers with me, but I will get them and share them with you if you are interested.

I think there is a need to write something like a policy paper on the energy outluke, for such proposal to be adopted. We need as many contributors as possible.

Of course I'd love to read it. Please use my email neegronations@gmail.com

I agree with writing a proposal and finding sponsorship within the administration in Abuja to push for a resolution on the legislative floor. The government should have responsibility for drafting the policy. Of course they will need subject matter experts like you for that position and that offers opportunity for you to participate. Alternative will be to send it to a national newspaper for frontpage coverage. That will start a discussion.

We are seeking partnership, we are asking for favors, we need their ears. . .submitting a policy paper to them could be viewed as stepping boundaries and get the door shut in our face. angry

Let's change it, give me three top suggestions and let me pick one. wink

You have my support and when do we start.

Naijex,

It started!

Here is what will happen for now. Outluk will send me her written work, she and I will review and take talking points out of it that can be used to draft a proposal. The talking point will be posted here for general participation and contributions. Once the draft is finalized the finished copy is saved.

But we have a challenge. How do we get sponsorship in congress? How de wo get sponsorship in the dailies? We need to discuss the options.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by PapaBrowne(m): 10:19am On Jan 05, 2009
The solution to our power problems might just be Clean Nuclear technology.
No, not the type of Large Nuclear plants available today. Not those plants that take 10+ years to build. Not those Uranium rich plants that are a danger to Humanity.

I'm talking about Clean Mini Nuclear plants that are so small they can be delivered via 20ft shipping containers. They have a very large capacity and are very durable, safe and clean.These small plants can power 20,000 homes

A company in the US has been licensed by the US government to commercialize the production of these plants and the first shipment would be ready in the next 4years. They have about 100 orders already.

Stats
Generating Capacity per plant= 25MW
Size= A car.
Cost= $25 Million
Number of Homes= About 20,000

Imagine a plant, the size of a generator, buried underground, powering 10-20,000 homes! Thats amazing!And your bills would be something like 150 dollars for the next 7 years!
Interestingly, you only have to refuel once in about seven years. [/b]This is really cheap.

Our average generation capacity in Nigeria is say about 2500MW give or take. That means that with one hundred of these plants we would have doubled our capacity. One hundred plants would cost only 2.5 billion dollars! Local Governments can easily afford $25 million dollars! and solve their power problems once and for all.

[b]The best part of it is that the company is targeting developing countries as some of it's potential clientele.

For those that think it's not safe, I bet you, the US government wouldn't license the technology and approve it to be sold to developing countries, if it isn't safe. It is very safe.

We should really look into this!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/

Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 4:37pm On Jan 05, 2009
Interestingly, you only have to refuel once in about seven years

What fuel does this plant use? The objective here is to get away from the use of a carbon/fossil fuel like example petrol and its various derivative oils.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 8:25pm On Jan 05, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

What fuel does this plant use? The objective here is to get away from the use of a carbon/fossil fuel like example petrol and its various derivative oils.

These type of mini nuclear reactors used Plutonium grade fissile material. They are the type that are used in submarines to generate electricity. These will be ideal for local energy comsumption. They do also generate nuclear waste, however, the waste can be re-processed and used in larger nuclear plants or in Nuclear war-heads. Again when we talk about nuclear waste, the main problem of the waste is not about quantity, it is about the radiation effect. Interms of quantity, the total nuclear waste produce in UK is not upto half of a stand room.

When you look at Nigerian energy problem, the 2500MW is not sufficient, it just what we can manage to produce. We need electricity for industrial use, and that means producing electricity in large combustion or nuclear plant. Presently in the world, there is no developed nation, or developing nation that does not have nuclear plant or striving to have nuclear power plants. If Nigeria is to be ranked, among the top 20 economies, we must produce electricity to meets domestic and industrial need. For instance, UK with 60 million people consumes 80 GWe (80,000 MWe). If the living standard of an average Nigerian to be at least half of that of a British, we must be able to produce at least 40 times of what we are producing now.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 3:06am On Jan 06, 2009
When you look at Nigerian energy problem, the 2500MW is not sufficient, it just what we can manage to produce. We need electricity for industrial use, and that means producing electricity in large combustion or nuclear plant. Presently in the world, there is no developed nation, or developing nation that does not have nuclear plant or striving to have nuclear power plants. If Nigeria is to be ranked, among the top 20 economies, we must produce electricity to meets domestic and industrial need. For instance, UK with 60 million people consumes 80 GWe (80,000 MWe). If the living standard of an average Nigerian to be at least half of that of a British, we must be able to produce at least 40 times of what we are producing now.

What are the economies of scale? Example - cost/benefit per 1000 top-tier manufacturing plant; cost/benefit per 1,000,000 cubic feet of industrial carbon/toxic waste; cost/benefit per #1,000,000 market earnings; cost/benefit per 1,000,000 population density and so on and so forth.

While some of the plans are highly ideal and reasonable for a developed nation that has already realized its indutrial objective, Nigeria is yet to recognize and respond responsibly to the significance of government policies adversely impacting citizens lifestyles and domestic standard of living, much more safeguard environmental safety against a nuclear leakage. Nuclear is not an option for us, however much it is marketed as safe; our government is not matured for its safe operations.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 7:30pm On Jan 06, 2009
This past weekend i was told that NTA International ran a documentary on their AM Express program about this young Nigerian Bio - technologist. His name is Olatubosun Abayomi, who designed, develop and fabricated a locally made waste reactor. The reactor is designed to use human/animal waste as raw material for producing gas for cooking. Olatubosun said if the reactor is built on larger scale, it can provide enough energy to power gas turbines to generate electricity.

I 'm trying to see if NTA can upload the documentary to Youtube so we can all see.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 10:25pm On Jan 06, 2009
Naijex:

This past weekend i was told that NTA International ran a documentary on their AM Express program about this young Nigerian Bio - technologist. His name is Olatubosun Abayomi, who designed, develop and fabricated a locally made waste reactor. The reactor is designed to use human/animal waste as raw material for producing gas for cooking. Olatubosun said if the reactor is built on larger scale, it can provide enough energy to power gas turbines to generate electricity.

I 'm trying to see if NTA can upload the documentary to Youtube so we can all see.

The system is called biogas digester. It is not a new technology, it has being in existance for centuries. Most Nigerian University that I visited have such kind of systems especially in Mechanical or biological science programme. I have also seen such systems paraded in Raw Material Research Develpment council in Abuja and also at the Energy commission. For NTA to waste documentary time on such a system shows how technologically backward we are. The technology is free for everybody. It is not even a patented, as such, u can comfortable browse the internet, and you will have different types of design including construction manuals and instructions free of charge. There are about 2 - 3 (cant exactly remember) systems in UK. Infact I did my placement in one of the industries, and around the world. However, the amount of 'shit' you need to gather in one place to make it power a 50 MW gas turbine make it completely unrealistic. The biggest biodigester in the world is in China, in Inner Mongolia, which produce 200 MW. Their main source of fuel is from large scale farming of Pigs (about 500,000 bigs in a single farm) plus the 'shit' of a near by city. To get sufficient gas that will give say half of lagos electricity from a gas turbine running on biogas, you need to gather the shit of at least all the people from lagos plus importing from another state. If we want electricity for 140 million poeple, there is no going back. We must have Nuclear power plant. It is just inevitable. That is d only solution for declining oil/gas reserves and for the ever-growing population.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by netotse(m): 3:46am On Jan 07, 2009
nuclear in nigeria? u must be joking, they will now have to employ oyinbos to run the thing from bottom up
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 5:10am On Jan 07, 2009
Outluk,

Clarify your position on nuclear for Nigeria. Have you given thought to the ramifications of pursuing nuclear plant? I am willing to discuss the pros and cons with you, you can address it from scientific angle and I will counter it from political standpoint.

I am not sure we have the guarantees, as a nation, to sustain the responsibilities that come with such a high goal. I agree with you that in terms of economy of scale it is the best option for the projected growth and the resulting peak in demand but that alone is not sufficient assurance to win over opponents.

Oh beside, I am still waiting on suggestions for title change. Your earlier suggestion did not package the discussion.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2009
My view about Nuclear energy is shaped by three basic world views, which when narrowed to Nigerian context, we realize the position in which we:

(1) The Infinite Earth Model - It base on infinite rate of increase in consumption of fossil fuel resources, with infinite supply. And also infinite increase rate of increase in comsuption of food, with infinite rate of increase in agricultural resources (Land/labour/water/fertilizer/etc).This is the conventional wisdom and the window within which Nigerians see the world.

(2T) The Earth carrying capacity model -- which is characterized by decline in available resouces as a result of increase in population and comsumption rate.

(3) The Export/Import Land Model (EILM)-- characterized by the need to import/export to meet the basic needs.

Right now if u look at the Nigerian situation, the policy makers seems to oblivion of the future. There plans for the future are mere rhetoric, but nothing is being done. There is no way we should expect that in the next 30 years the oil export will remain the same or even increase unless if huge deposit is discovered in the north. Our population is increasing at a pace of about 3 million a year (thats more than the size of UAE), how do you expect us to meet our basic energy and food needs. There is no way on earth that renewable energy will meet the countries energy needs. Renewables are highly intermittent and inefficient. They can only be used the fill a gap but not for the base load. There is no way on earth the gas turbines will meet our energy needs, unless we are going to use up all the gas in power generation. And dont forget we need the gas and oil for fertilizer, pesticides and other chemical and pharmaceutical products. We need infrastructural and industrial development. If nothing is done now, when the oil wells are dry, we are sunk.

The only viable option for future is Nuclear Energy. Right! People are concern about safety, but then it is part of the challenge to live a bette life in the world, otherwise we remain poor forever. The whole of the world have understood that, they are all going ahead to develop the technology. What make Pakistanis, Indians or South Africans better than Nigerians that they will develop and maintain their nuclear tech. If the oil finish even the little international attention we get will stop. Nobody will remember Nigeria exist.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2009
I will be responding in a much detailed manner but for now, in answering the three models let me summarize my thoughts into the following.

The modeled views are comprehensive and what you have shared of it is failing to recognize the cyclic electromagnetic patterns that govern behavioral patterns in human and our response to the environment as a consequence of that balance or imbalance in behavioral traits.

Example - Land is forever available to mankind to sustain and you could convert that land into a lake for water resources for domestic consumption, farming irrigation as well as leisure activities like fishing, boating, swimming and so on and so forth. Instead of a lake, you could make it a farming plantation and grow millet (which with its derivatives have many utility benefits to mankind) for domestic consumption and exporting. Instead of a lake or a farm, you could make it into a stadium or a race course for horse races and gambling.

Explosion in population growth and density is inversely proportional to the availability of natural resources. This can be best observed in the increased number of global tensions and battles that at its core is nothing but territorial disputes over access to a resource. Academic credentials are richly rewarded far more than artesian skills. This has shifted specialties and left a gap in our skills over land cultivation and management but made us masters of data analysis and forecasts for speculative events that are not represented in mundane realities. So what's the outcome?

Survival of the fittest! Included in that survival is the acquisition of nuclear energy for good and bad! Nuclear energy for domestic utility consumption and industrial growth for global dominance at the expense of peril and threat of destruction to other nations that compete with us for growth and domination.

How does Nigeria going nuclear fit into all these? Pakistan and India are not a good model for this argument.

Be back later. grin
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by OutlukBabe(f): 7:48pm On Jan 09, 2009
Im not a very rigid person when it comes to theories. I take what I feel is right for me and modified what I feel should work for me. Im not a scientist. Im an engineer by training and practice.

Take your time and listen to this lecture. It is about world energy outlook by IEA. It will give you an inside view of the current energy situation. The report was released last week, I havent got hold on to a copy yet.

I have being very busy these days. Will get back and discuss with you about some of those points

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m377Is4tGF0&eurl=http://www.theoildrum.com/node
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by NegroNtns(m): 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2009
Outlook,

Thank you for the information link. I listened to the entire seminar and took time also to visit the WEO website and familiarize myself with the models and policies. Quite interesting, I acquired some new knowledge while I was there.

Yes, I am looking forward to having the discussion with you on how Nigeria should proceed on energy. My disagrement is not on the substance but rather on the absence of a coherent energy policy. Attached to the policy is the need to have regulation and I am just not sure that we can do that effectively. But like I said I enjoy the discussion and I am expecting it to continue when you get back or have the time to engage me. You will learn a lot from the political arguments that I will present. I love your objectivity and flexibility and sure glad that you are not closed to looking at it from another position. I hope you love propaganda grin

Email me if you can, I have a document to share with you.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by Naijex: 4:22am On Jan 15, 2009
I will rather suggest waste to energy over the nuclear technology because i do not see Nigeria ready for nuclear technology.

Why? Even the money Nigeria is making from crude oil, we still have oil waste problem in our waters.

Nigeria has over 240 L.G, if each L.G has the authority to generate her own electric power and connect to the grid. Be it Biogas digester plant or the incineration plant, if each L.G can generate 50 MV. Nigeria only needs about 8,000 MV and our existing power plants can generate about 3,000 MV. All we need is the right policy in place and our power problem will be history.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by wirinet(m): 11:34am On Apr 14, 2010
This is an interesting topic, it is my area of interest and i have been studying alternative energy for some years now. It is a pity i do not have time on my hands at the moment to do justice to the topic, but i would make my brief contribution.

You cannot resolve your energy problem by taking the piece meal and disjointed approach we are used to in Nigeria. You have to have a plan , a short time plan, a medium time plan and a long time plan. The problem we are in this mess today is because there was no planning at all for our medium and long term energy requirements. For example if our energy demand today is put around 12,000MW, in 10 years time it would be close to 20,00 MW and in 30 years time it would be around 40,000MW.

The major problems with our energy is numerous, from legal, to technical to manpower. The listing of Energy on the federal government exclusive list is a major obstacle, you cannot generate and distribute energy without the all mighty federal government. Each region, state and local government should be allowed to generate, distribute and sell its own electricity. Each region should should determine how it wants to generate its electricity base on raw materials available to it and on meeting the federal government's environmental and other requirements.

The Niger Deltan states, singularly or collectively can decide to use its gas resources to generate electricity and sell to its neighbours, the states within the Niger River and Mambila plateau can decide to generate using hydro power, the far north can decide to look into generating electricity with solar farms, the east can decide to use coal if the can meet international environmental and safety requirements.

As for Nuclear, i do not support we go fully into Nuclear for now as do not have the manpower and management requirements to build and run it, and besides we still have cheap oil, gas and hydo power to last us for some time. But i would advocate setting up a research institute on nuclear technology for our future energy needs when oil and gas would dry out. We can build one or two small experimental plants to study and train our people nuclear energy, so we would not have to depends 100% on foreigners in the future for our nuclear energy as it is obtained in the oil and gas industry.
Re: Renewable/Alternative Energy - The Political Significance by SapeleGuy: 1:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
I think for residential purposes, people should be encouraged(grants etc) to generate their own energy for cooking and lighting in a sustainable manner.
Biogas has tremendous potential for solving this problem, we have an abundance of soakways, abbatoirs and other organic waste. This method is being successfully used in India. Nigerians are beginning to pursue this idea.
http://bioapplications..com/2008/02/biogas-technology-in-nigeriafor-africa.html

As for nuclear - knowing our maintenance culture, i would say no because we are merely storing up problems for future generations.

(1) (Reply)

Peaceful Protest May Be Outlawed In Enugu / How BBC Caused Crisis In The North / GEJ Visited Flood Areas And Promised Relief Efforts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.