Stats: 3,149,927 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Literacy And The North - by Rawani - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Literacy And The North - by Rawani (4458 Views)

Nigeria Cannot Do Without The North By Femi Aribisala / Nigerian President Or King Of The North?, By Femi Fani-kayode / How Elections Was Rigged In The North By An ADHOC Staff.photo (2) (3) (4)

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by CyberWolf: 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2015
Rawani:

If you read carefully through my response, you would see I mentioned that northern states (I'm sure of Kano & Sokoto) offer free basic education for all, it was an issue recently when it was claimed only indigenes benefited from the scheme, but it was discovered to be false.
only Kano and sokoto, what about the remaining 17 northern states?..The issue is that parents up there takes this issue of religious classes more serious than basic education. I'm not saying that they should abandon religious classes because we still do it here( bible studies & cathecism classes) but their basic education should be say 90% & religious classes take 10% ..

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by stebell(m): 7:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
Rawani:

Your observations are appreciated, I agree Pa Awolowo contributed immensely to the spread of education in the south, and I respect him a lot for that. What points were not clear to you particularly?

When yu say Pa Awolowo contributed immensely to the spread of education in the South, I wonder wat tha f**k yu are talking about. Awolowo dis no such thing. He was sectional and a bigot.
Be specific next tym cos the South is not wat yu think it is.

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Nobody: 7:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
stebell:

When yu say Pa Awolowo contributed immensely to the spread of education in the South, I wonder wat tha f**k yu are talking about. Awolowo dis no such thing. He was sectional and a bigot.

seriously, I see no reason why the north should be lagging behind educationally, it took no time for the eastern region to overtake the sweat of awolowo in southwest.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by kmariko: 7:26pm On Feb 12, 2015
While Not holding brief for oduastates, I think that what he was get at (I might be wrong) is that there is a very dysfunctional relationship between the elite and the masses that's needs to be redefined before any headway can be made in tackling illiteracy in the region.

Having lived in Kaduna. My observation is that the beyond religion, the cultural impositions on the masses are/ is the greatest impediment to achieving literacy in the region....Which oduastates sees as a feudal system.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by arewafederation: 7:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
Rawani:
cc: ibnsultan, caseless, muhdG, moswags, nafiachi, eesaah, simbad221, ayesman, arewafederation, fulaman, nduchuks, Janedoe26 and all concerned NL's.

I appreciate the in-depth analysis given in your write up which is enough to make the ill informed aware of the development of western education in the north. Kudos Rawani for this enlightening piece.

With the gradual decay of the al majiri system (which has been abused by some greedy mallams over the years), the north shall achieve great heights in the area of western education.

Allh ya jaa zamanin ka! cool

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rawani: 7:48pm On Feb 12, 2015
CyberWolf:
only Kano and sokoto, what about the remaining 17 northern states?..The issue is that parents up there takes this issue of religious classes more serious than basic education. I'm not saying that they should abandon religious classes because we still do it here( bible studies & cathecism classes) but their basic education should be say 90% & religious classes take 10% ..

I listed the two states I was sure of as I've not been in the country for a couple of years now, but I'm sure the other states offer free basic education as well. Its funny you said "the issue is" grin when its fairly evident you don't know the north, as they have different schools and different schedules for Islamic and western education, and the students (in urban areas) attend both, and more time, effort and resources are spent on the latter.

It might interest you to know I'm not a muslim, however I'm a core northerner that has lived harmoniously with muslims most of my life. Exposure to other cultures, is education on its own, as it crushes prejudices (like the one I had against Indians) and builds bridges. Cheers bro.

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rawani: 7:52pm On Feb 12, 2015
arewafederation:

I appreciate the in-depth analysis given in your write up which is enough to make the ill informed aware of the development of western education in the north. Kudos Rawani for this enlightening piece.

With the gradual decay of the al majiri system (which has been abused by some greedy mallams over the years), the north shall achieve great heights in the area of western education.

Ya ja naka kai ma. Thanks.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rawani: 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2015
kmariko:
While Not holding brief for oduastates, I think that what he was get at (I might be wrong) is that there is a very dysfunctional relationship between the elite and the masses that's needs to be redefined before any headway can be made in tackling illiteracy in the region.

Having lived in Kaduna. My observation is that the beyond religion, the cultural impositions on the masses are/ is the greatest impediment to achieving literacy in the region....Which oduastates sees as a feudal system.

Could you kindly elaborate on this observation?
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rawani: 8:01pm On Feb 12, 2015
customized13:
Figures don't lie. You tried anyway, but the north is really dragging Nigeria backward in both literacy rate and welfare rate

Did you read the article?

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by kmariko: 8:05pm On Feb 12, 2015
Though the abuse of the "almajiri system" is contributory it does so within a 10 percentile spread.
Op elucidated why the almajiri system came to being, its elimination while leaving the system that created it intact will merely be an exercise in rebranding.

I would like to see a system where educated men from the region through an NGO type setting reach out to these rural poor with incentives much better that the mallams use to entice them into "almajiri".

I would like to see a system where the powers of the Emir (or who ever lords) over the rural poor is severely curtailed so that both cultural and financial impediment are somewhat alleviated.

Its is only the educated from the region that can successfully do these as " outsiders" are viewed with suspicion.

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by thev0ice1: 8:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
stebell:

Comrade, this thread has been going on smoothly before your outburst.

Can you try and leave anger out of it? Rawani obviously made a mistake crediting Awolowo with educational advancement beyond the SW but could you take it as a honest mistake and sheath your sword?

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rawani: 8:16pm On Feb 12, 2015
kmariko:
Though the abuse of the "almajiri system" is contributory it does so within a 10 percentile spread.
Op elucidated why the almajiri system came to being, its elimination while leaving the system that created it intact will merely be an exercise in rebranding.

I would like to see a system where educated men from the region through an NGO type setting reach out to these rural poor with incentives much better that the mallams use to entice them into "almajiri".

I would like to see a system where the powers of the Emir (or who ever lords) over the rural poor is severely curtailed so that both cultural and financial impediment are somewhat alleviated.

Its is only the educated from the region that can successfully do these as " outsiders" are viewed with suspicion.

Quite potent recommendations, thank you.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by thev0ice1: 8:20pm On Feb 12, 2015
kmariko:

Its is only the educated from the region that can successfully do these as " outsiders" are viewed with suspicion

Very good submission. The educated Northerners must rise up to the challenge to convince their people that there is no haram in western education.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by kmariko: 8:23pm On Feb 12, 2015
Rawani:

Could you kindly elaborate on this observation?

If you'll permit me, having lived in so many places in the country I would impose some comparisons.

The rural poor in the north rarely question the authority or leaders in their community. Their words are final ...

Secondly, in some of the communities, the leaders spend so much of their capital(not necessarily financial) on moral albeit culture as against formal education.

An example was one community where we went for some studies and the lamentation that kept coming up was the large number of single girls in the community. Telling us he can't have more concubines.

Third rarely do members of the communities tax themselves to build schools for their children as some did and are still doing in parts of the country.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Curlieweed: 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
Rawani:

I listed the two [b]states I was sure of as I've not been in the country for a couple of years n[/b]ow, but I'm sure the other states offer free basic education as well. Its funny you said "the issue is" grin when its fairly evident you don't know the north, as they have different schools and different schedules for Islamic and western education, and the students (in urban areas) attend both, and more time, effort and resources are spent on the latter.

It might interest you to know I'm not a muslim, however I'm a core northerner that has lived harmoniously with muslims most of my life. Exposure to other cultures, is education on its own, as it crushes prejudices (like the one I had against Indians) and builds bridges. Cheers bro.

So you no even get PVC and I dey follow you dey argue "Sai No Buhari". smiley smileysmiley
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by stebell(m): 9:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
thev0ice1:

Comrade, this thread has been going on smoothly before your outburst.

Can you try and leave anger out of it? Rawani obviously made a mistake crediting Awolowo with educational advancement beyond the SW but could you take it as a honest mistake and sheath your sword?

No problems.
I've moved on
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by thev0ice1: 9:40pm On Feb 12, 2015
stebell:

No problems.
I've moved on

God bless you
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by stebell(m): 10:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
thev0ice1:

God bless you

Bless yu too peacemaker.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Nobody: 6:51am On Feb 13, 2015
arewafederation:

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Rich4god(m): 8:43am On Feb 13, 2015
The solution is simple... Separate state from religion... Let religion be a thing of family and choice... Why shld the govt use state fund to sponsor and build religous houses instead of developing the human mind. The fact is, the northern elites are seeing a readily available tools at the heads of all those almajiris.

I lived in the north for almost 20yrs... And i hv seen how the elites control these guys using religion as a disguise.

Seperate religion from state, ban any quranic sch that allows student to be sleeping over... I.e, let the student be coming from their parent house and if possible, any man that dont have a strong source of income shouldnt marry more than one wife. I see no reason why a shoe maker that cant properly take care of himself shld go abt picking wives like flowers...
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by OreMI22: 1:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
Rawani:
[/b]
Wish northern Nigeria will go its own way and form its own country. It's potential will be truly unleashed than always trying to compete or impede the south in other to be one country at a uniform level of development.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 21, 2015
Rawani:

As it is, the almajiri system is almost erased by post-modernism, what remains are children of impoverished parents who send their children to get Islamic education from local scholars, who in turn send them out to beg for alms and food to sustain themselves and their 'school'. I can boldly state that less than 10% of the urban population of children in northern states practice almajiranchi, as basic western education is free in most (if not all) northern states. The bulk of the almajiri are in the rural areas which lack necessary educational infrastructure, which is being addressed.

Let me remind you that no parent wants their child to beg, it is mostly as a result of poverty. I know Sheikhs who have extra-moral lessons organized in their houses for their children, and sometimes neighbours as well. It is a complex issue, one which has to be handled carefully so that the rights of individuals to their religion will not be infringed upon.

Bro you are even exaggerating by this your 10%. Almajiri system is nonexistent in urban areas now. Most of these kids you see are from rural areas taken to the cities. The truth is, most of the parents from rural areas that send their wards to Almajiri schools nowadays do that not because they want them to get Islamic knowledge but because they can't take care of them and they believe the kids stand a better chance succeeding in the cities than in the villages. The succes story of one or two Almajiris that turned out to be successful traders in the cities is not helping matters as well as many of such parents send their wards with the hope that they will be successful too.

Similarly, poverty cannot also be taken out of the equation. Most people in the rural areas in the north just cannot afford the expenses that come with acquiring western education. There is this woman that normally supplies our groundnut oil. My father asked her why she hasn't take her son to primary school and she replies that she cannot afford to be given the boy 10 naira everyday for breakfast that she rather sends him to cut grasses for her cows.

I believe 60-80% of all state allocation to education should be channeled to building schools and providing meals for primary students In rural areas. In my view this will go a long way increasing their enrollment to formal education.

Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by themano: 3:37pm On Feb 21, 2015
Rich4god:
The earlier the northern elite as a state relagate religion to the background (making it an individual thing) and push western education forward, then the better for all of them.
Simple.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by cooljude(m): 4:20pm On Feb 21, 2015
Nice thread, so many people have raised very potent points but i would say that i don't believe the northern elites would want to loose their power and influence over their subject. The best way is for those educated ones that is doing fine should once in a while go back home, engage in community sensitization, then contribute to the building and development of education in their villages by making sure they understand the benefit of education. Believe you me that the people of that area would readily accept such a move from their son or daughter.
Re: Literacy And The North - by Rawani by Fulaman198(m): 3:42am On Mar 03, 2015
thev0ice1:

Very good submission. The educated Northerners must rise up to the challenge to convince their people that there is no haram in western education.

Western education is a myth. Why? because no such thing exists. Stop being brainwashed and speaking like an illiterate. A lot of you diss the North about illiteracy rates. However, many of you from the South are bringing down the national pen0r size average with your inability to stop kissing western arse like their slaves. A bunch of GEJs who have sacrificed their balls and manhood all for the sake of butt kissing White people's behind.

Iran Nuclear Deal " Fine New Chapter' Or Historic Mistake. / US GOVT: Fayose’s Allegation On President Buhari’s Wife Aisha Was True (photos) / Why Do Igbos Hate Buhari For No Reason?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68