Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,623 members, 7,770,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:42 PM

The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! (6533 Views)

Recipe: How To Prepare ADALU (beans And Sweet Corn Pottage) / Most Nutritious And Beneficial Meat / How To Prepare A Nutritious Garri Soaked In Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by diet234: 4:47pm On Feb 12, 2015
The African Breadfruit is scientifically known as Treculia africana. Now let's know what's up with this nutritious food.

Introduction:
It is also called afon in Yoruba; ize in Benin, Jekri and Sobo; izea in Ijaw; and ediang in Efik. Ukwa as is known by the Igbo speaking tribe of Nigeria is the seed of the African Breadfruit "Treculia Africana", though it's similar to the Breadfruit eaten in the Caribbean and South Pacific, but still quite different. The African counter part is much larger growing as large as watermelons and weighing 10 pounds or more. Also it is not sought after for its "meat" i.e the fleshy bulk but rather for its seeds.

To extract the seeds from the fruit, the fruits are allowed to ripen and fall from the large trees in which they grow on. Surprisingly, the fruits are then allowed to rot, and machetes are used to crack open the fruit or sometimes the fruit is even thrown on large rocks (if patience is a problem LOL). There is a long lengthy process before the seeds that are eaten are fully extracted. The seeds are typically roasted and eaten or can be boiled to soften them making a sort of porridge.

The African Breadfruit is a very healthy food which has been touted as "food to end the World's Hunger".
Get to know the health benefits of this super food.

Read more here: http://diet234.com/african-breadfruit-meal-ukwa/

1 Share

Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 12, 2015
HMMM! I LOVE THIS FOOD, EVEN THOUGH IT'S QUITE EXPENSIVE.

2 Likes

Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by diet234: 5:04pm On Feb 12, 2015
@AwesomelyMade - yes it is quite expensive, i guess the best things don't come cheap after all..lol. Well, follow the link - http://diet234.com/african-breadfruit-meal-ukwa/ to see the amazing health benefits of Ukwa. Please drop your comments. Appreciate!
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 13, 2015
D best food in d whole wide world.
Was compelled to buy a cup 500 in lag.
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 14, 2015
eat some last nite. very delicious meal, a cup here goes for 200 to 250
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by breadplanets(f): 2:34pm On Feb 17, 2015
The bestest food ever. Bought it N150 on my street last month. Dont know how much it would be now
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Jack188: 12:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the thread here. I guess, it is a really tasty bread, I'd like to taste it someday. I like to make bred too, my favourite one is garlic bread from http://foodjj.com website. I guess, you should taste it somedays too.

1 Like

Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by gechyy2(f): 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2015
I could die for ukwa...God I love it so much..bt don't get to eat it as much as I wud love to,cos of its expensive nature..bt I had a lot of it while in enugu..I miss abacha and ukwa sooooo much..

1 Like

Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by diet234: 2:01am On Feb 23, 2015
@breadplanets(f) and @gechyy2 - lol..yes it is a very tasty and nutritious food, to buy it cheap, you'll need to check at local farmer's markets around you. Abacha and Ukwa are two of Nigeria's tasty local foods. The world needs a taste of that. For recipe of abacha is on http://diet234.com on the search panel, type in "African salad". Please follow our social handles. We love to hear from you. Enjoy the week!
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by madgoat(m): 12:19pm On Feb 26, 2015
How can i prepare dat porridge?
diet234:
The African Breadfruit is scientifically known as Treculia africana. Now let's know what's up with this nutritious food.
Introduction:
It is also called afon in Yoruba; ize in Benin, Jekri and Sobo; izea in Ijaw; and ediang in Efik. Ukwa as is known by the Igbo speaking tribe of Nigeria is the seed of the African Breadfruit "Treculia Africana", though it's similar to the Breadfruit eaten in the Caribbean and South Pacific, but still quite different. The African counter part is much larger growing as large as watermelons and weighing 10 pounds or more. Also it is not sought after for its "meat" i.e the fleshy bulk but rather for its seeds.
To extract the seeds from the fruit, the fruits are allowed to ripen and fall from the large trees in which they grow on. Surprisingly, the fruits are then allowed to rot, and machetes are used to crack open the fruit or sometimes the fruit is even thrown on large rocks (if patience is a problem LOL). There is a long lengthy process before the seeds that are eaten are fully extracted. The seeds are typically roasted and eaten or can be boiled to soften them making a sort of porridge.
The African Breadfruit is a very healthy food which has been touted as "food to end the World's Hunger".
Get to know the health benefits of this super food.
Read more here: http://diet234.com/african-breadfruit-meal-ukwa/
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by diet234: 3:48pm On Feb 26, 2015
Go to this link - http://diet234.com/african-breadfruit-meal-ukwa/ to see how to prepare this porridge.
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by prettyjo(f): 5:00pm On Feb 26, 2015
I Dont joke with this food.
I don't mind eating it a whole week
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by prettyjo(f): 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2015
best prepared with onugbu(bitter leaf),dry fish and smoke fish
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by diet234: 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2015
@prettyjo - lol, u know the drill! I'll do the same. It's a great tasting meal.

1 Like

Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Andy04: 1:20am On Jun 14, 2015
AwesomelyMade:
HMMM! I LOVE THIS FOOD, EVEN THOUGH IT'S QUITE EXPENSIVE.
Hello I reside in the east,I can supply it to u in bulk @ a much cheaper rate. u might even wish to be selling it.send me a pm if u are interested via: voyagerafricana@gmail.com
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Andy04: 3:54am On Mar 31, 2016
Interesting
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Andy04: 3:53pm On Mar 31, 2016
Hello,I reside in the east,I can supply to interested individuals breadfruit,'ukwa' in igbo ,'afon' in yoruba,in bulk @ a cheaper rate you might even wish to be selling it.I heard that the business is lucrative and selling fast in cities like Lagos and Abj.we can work out on how I will be getting it across to you maybe through 'ware billing' or any other means that would be mutually convenient. contact me if you are interested via: 08160436794, email:voyagerafricana@gmail.com
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by egal22: 9:32am On Jun 15, 2016
Andy04:
Hello,I reside in the east,I can supply to interested individuals breadfruit,'ukwa' in igbo ,'afon' in yoruba,in bulk @ a cheaper rate you might even wish to be selling it.I heard that the business is lucrative and selling fast in cities like Lagos and Abj.we can work out on how I will be getting it across to you maybe through 'ware billing' or any other means that would be mutually convenient. contact me if you are interested via: 08160436794, email:voyagerafricana@gmail.com

Am interested but how much does a cup costs now?
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Beremx(f): 7:30pm On Jun 15, 2016
Oh Lord!
Been a long time i ate ukwa. Chai oo!!
Re: The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! by Baroba(m): 2:39am On Jun 16, 2016
Please can someone close this thread, God I miss 042 cry cry.. Man need to go home one day, this paper trail chase got to end someday..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Curry Chicken / See The Food She Prepared For Me. That Got Me Thinking (pictures ) / Are There Vegans/ Vegetarians In The House?? Lets Meet Here!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.