Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC (22458 Views)

Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) / Nigerian Soldier: "We are Using Old Tanks since 1976 to fight Boko Haram" - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by kolonigga(m): 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
You can listen to the conversation here https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-service/the-fight-against-boko-haram-a-nigerian-soldier-speaks-out?ocid=socialflow_twitter
These are some of the conversations i wrote down.
BBC journalist asked "when Boko Haram dislodged you, where did you go?"
he said they went back, reinforced and went back again. They requested for reinforcement and they sent 20 men but they refused to come due to lack of weapons they don't have. The 20 men were dismissed from the army. He said they have requested for weapons but in many cases have been refused. He said many women in his barracks are windows, they are suffering. He said Boko Haram fighters are using AA(Anti-Aircraft), RPGs and many support weapons. He said the gun they are using is Kalashnikov(AK-47) while old tanks since 1976. The weapons are very, very old he told the BBC journalist.
BBC journalist asked if the Boko Haram are plenty? He said yes they are, the army of 116 soldiers will attack Boko Haram of about 3,000 at that day, that there is a problem. He said that the enemy strength of last year was about 10,000 while his own strength is 400 - 500 and any attack they come they must defeat us due to lack of support weapons he said.
BBC journalist asked him if he could defeat Boko Haram at any time?
he said "Yes, he is a soldier he can do better but logistic fail, weapons fail, morale fail".
BBC journalist asked him of his senior officers, if they are angry of the situation?
he said: "I can't say so, they are not thinking of the soldiers but themselves, i like Nigeria, it is my country i never have any other country to go".
BBC journalist asked him if he will go and fight if necessary?
he said: "Yes, if they bring the necessary things he will, this is my country i can never run to any foolish , let them do the right thing at the right time, we soldiers believe we can do more than what they can do to us";
BBC journalist asked him about the security chief saying they can get rid of Boko Haram within 8 weeks if he agrees?
he said: "kai! I never been agree, i can look but i never blame i never dream that in my mind. Things are wrong that is what i am telling you, that's the truth"
https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/566141845034774528

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by midolian(m): 1:07pm On Feb 13, 2015
This government is simply a poo, no matter how you try to package it..

We need a government that ll value the lives and appreciate the effort of these men. Not a government as this, that's bn economical with the truth and playing expensive politix with the lives of these great men..

God! We r in your hands..Save us from this blood thirsty govt.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by kolonigga(m): 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
mehnnnn i can't wait for Buhari to take over from this massive corrupt regime. Even after GEJ borrowed $1Billion (N205,550,000,000), soldiers still complaining. He needs to leave asap. i dey vex!!!

SAi BUHARI TO THE RESCUE

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by thaoriginator: 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
All hail GEJ and his Army Chiefs. Bunch of scammers!

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by temitemi1(m): 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
But govt purchased some recently na. GEJ till 2019!!!

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by darlingtonNYIG(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2015
Now who takes the blame, GEJ or other leaders that refused to modernise the army with new equipment? What did Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB and abacha do when they where in power, rather the en massed wealth from our collective pocket. GEJ is paying the price for failed leadership of the past

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by kolonigga(m): 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2015
darlingtonNYIG:
Now who takes the blame, GEJ or other leaders that refused to modernise the army with new equipment? What did Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB and abacha do when they where in power, rather the en massed wealth from our collective pocket. GEJ is paying the price for failed leadership of the past

Buhari has spent more than GEJ in military expenditure in Nigeria.
FACTS:
Published in the Journal of African Macroeconomic Review, Volume 2 Number 1, the study, titled “Comparative Regime Analysis of the Trend and Structure of Military Expenditure in Nigeria, 1980-2010″, the report revealed that while the Buhari/Idiagbon spent 38.68 of total allocation to the military on capital items such as military hardware between January 1984 and August 1985 when it was overthrown, the Yar’adua/Jonathan administration spent 34.67 percent of military budget between May 2007 and May 2010.

The authors- Anyawu Sarah, Egwaikhide Chris and Aiyedogbon John Olu Coris- observed as follows:” Buhari/Idiagbon in 1983 also allocated 38.68 percent and 61.32 percent for capital milex and recurrent respectively.They spent approximately 16 months.
The Ibrahim Babangida regime (1985-1993) spent 19.58 percent on capital milex and 80.42 on recurrent milex.
Abacha/Shonekan/Abdulsalam (1993-1999) regime expended 24.10 percent on capital milex and 75.9 percent on recurrent milex.
The civilian administration of Olusegun Obasanjo (1999-2007) for a period of 8 years, spent 17.44 percent of her total milex on capital milex and 82.56 percent on recurrent milex.
Yar’adua/Jonathan (2008-2010) had so far spent 34.67 percent on capital milex and 65.33 percent on recurrent.”
Milex refers to military expenditure. Other studies show that since Jonathan took over the reins of leadership, the capital budget for military hardware has been decreasing while recurrent has been increasing.
http://www.africanexaminer.com/buhari-regime-leads-in-military-equipment-spending/

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Walspring: 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2015
I thought our FG said the military was funded to fight BH

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by midolian(m): 1:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
darlingtonNYIG:
c'mon let's for once say the truth...GEJ has failed..are you now comparing Obj, Buhari and IBB's regime to this regime? Was there any group terrorizing the country they failed to deal with? Be frank with yourself..this same army under these past regimes were very much respected and were bn recommendend for peace keeping. Now, Na who wan recommend this GEJ military for peace keeping? Corruption infected military

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by itetemi: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
fpppppppppp
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
Goodluck Jonathan should take a serious look into the finances of the military. Billions of dollars have been appropriated for defence yet we see our Soldiers lament for non availability of necessary tools. Should Buhari ascend to power, I'm sure he won't hesitate to ensure that the military is in its finest state, and make the servicemen the envy of all.

23 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Bashirfuntua(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
fffffffffffffp
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
It is well!
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Adminisher: 1:36pm On Feb 13, 2015
midolian:
c'mon let's for once say the truth...GEJ has failed..are you now comparing Obj, Buhari and IBB's regime to this regime? Was there any group terrorizing the country they failed to deal with? Be frank with yourself..this same army under these past regimes were very much respected and were bn recommendend for peace keeping. Now, Na who wan recommend this GEJ military for peace keeping? Corruption infected military

You are telling Nigerian Jonathan supporters to be honest. How many countries that Chibok girls incident would happen and the Minister of Defence or CDS would not happen?. The president himself came out two years ago to say nobody should call him Commander In Chief. The man is VERY VERY bad as a leader of an important country like Nigeria. There are so many requirements of the job of Nigerias president that Jonathan is just trying to understand after.six years whereas a man with the right temperament would just have fit in.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:
[s]You can listen to the conversation here https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-service/the-fight-against-boko-haram-a-nigerian-soldier-speaks-out?ocid=socialflow_twitter
These are some of the conversations i wrote down.
BBC journalist asked "when Boko Haram dislodged you, where did you go?"
he said they went back, reinforced and went back again. They requested for reinforcement and they sent 20 men but they refused to come due to lack of weapons they don't have. The 20 men were dismissed from the army. He said they have requested for weapons but in many cases have been refused. He said many women in his barracks are windows, they are suffering. He said Boko Haram fighters are using AA(Anti-Aircraft), RPGs and many support weapons. He said the gun they are using is Kalashnikov(AK-47) while old tanks since 1976. The weapons are very, very old he told the BBC journalist.
BBC journalist asked if the Boko Haram are plenty? He said yes they are, the army of 116 soldiers will attack Boko Haram of about 3,000 at that day, that there is a problem. He said that the enemy strength of last year was about 10,000 while his own strength is 400 - 500 and any attack they come they must defeat us due to lack of support weapons he said.
BBC journalist asked him if he could defeat Boko Haram at any time?
he said "Yes, he is a soldier he can do better but logistic fail, weapons fail, morale fail".
BBC journalist asked him of his senior officers, if they are angry of the situation?
he said: "I can't say so, they are not thinking of the soldiers but themselves, i like Nigeria, it is my country i never have any other country to go".
BBC journalist asked him if he will go and fight if necessary?
he said: "Yes, if they bring the necessary things he will, this is my country i can never run to any foolish , let them do the right thing at the right time, we soldiers believe we can do more than what they can do to us";
BBC journalist asked him about the security chief saying they can get rid of Boko Haram within 8 weeks if he agrees?
he said: "kai! I never been agree, i can look but i never blame i never dream that in my mind. Things are wrong that is what i am telling you, that's the truth"
https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/566141845034774528[/s]

Loads of rubbish, what type of tanks are soldiers from Chad using that they have been dealing with boko haram Are Chad, Nigeria and Cameroon having better tanks/weapons than Nigeria

The Nigerian army should finish off these fvcking jihadists and stop telling us these stories. undecided undecided

31 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
itetemi:
fpppppppppp

When will you start being reasonable? undecided
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by kolonigga(m): 1:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
[s]
EUROBOMBER:

Loads of rubbish, what type of tanks are soldiers from Chad using that they have been dealing with boko haram Are Chad, Nigeria and Cameroon having better tanks/weapons than Nigeria

The Nigerian army should finish off these fvcking jihadists and stop telling us these stories. undecided undecided
[/s]

Instead of you criticizing the government, u are talking rubbish. i pity u

23 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by spott(m): 1:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
After CNN's own interview, PDP were complaining now it is BBC. GEJ IS A FAILURE NO WONDER AMANPOUR SAID HE IS A FAILED PRESIDENT.

SAI BUHARI JOOOOOR

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Rilwayne001: 1:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
GMB made mention of this during the interview on CNN, i hope TANoids can confirm this now.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by itetemi: 2:11pm On Feb 13, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

When will you start being reasonable? undecided

una be moderator or wetin do you for the matter

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by OgologoDimkpa: 2:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
Chai!
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by hazyfm1: 2:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
LITTLE WONDER..

SMALL BOKO HARAM

NO BE MOUTH, I CAN DEFEAT BOKO HARAM AS A COMMANDER IN CHIEF #INJACKBAUER'SVOICE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by bunmioguns(m): 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
undecided
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by OgologoDimkpa: 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
[s]
spott:
[s]After CNN's own interview, PDP were complaining now it is BBC. GEJ IS A FAILURE NO WONDER [s]AMANPOUR SAID HE IS A FAILED PRESIDENT.
[/s]
Shaataap!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Burger01(m): 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
Now, what has happened to the monies earmarked for military hardware, especially the monies meant to fight the insurgents He don enter voice mail Enough of this stealing!

We seriously need change.

#Change

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
Chai.....#sips alomo bitters #spits it out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
NA WA O

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by OgologoDimkpa: 2:18pm On Feb 13, 2015
Rilwayne001:
[s]GMB made mention of this during the interview on CNN, i hope TANoids can confirm this now.
[/s]

Taa!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Sierraloaded: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Sarimah(f): 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
one thing i know is.....

they'll soon be conquered smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by OgologoDimkpa: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
GEJ all the way!!!

GEJ till 2019!!!

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by AmakaDNB(f): 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
Ewo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures From PDP Presidential Rally In Katsina / MKO Abiola’s Wife, Zainab Slams Lawsuit On IGP, Demands ₦‎100 Billion / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.