Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead (39035 Views)

Buhari Visits Eheneden Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin (Photos) / Oshiomole Performed Miracles In Edo State as a Governor, Oba Of Benin Says / Apc Governors Visit Oba Of Benin (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by martin123: 4:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
Breaking News: The Great Oba of Benin Reportedly joins his ancestors. His Royal Majesty Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the monarch of Benin Kingdom has joined his ancestors. He was 92 years old.According to authoritative sources within and outside Edo State, the well-regarded king transited to the great beyond about two weeks ago.

His death is still being kept secret because by Benin tradition, the death of an Oba could only be officially announced 30 days after his transition.The Oba was said to have died in his palace. Immediately he was confirmed dead by his personal physician, a delegation of senior Benin chiefs went to the house of the heir apparent the throne, Prince Eheneden Erediauwa to inform him of the development.

Investigations by ionigeria news revealed that the Oba died about two days before the campaign rally of the Presidential candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC), Major General Mohammadu Buhari in Benin City. Buhari had his rally in Benin City on Thursday, January 29, 2015. That is why the Monarch could not receive Major General Buhari.

Similarly, when President Goodluck Jonathan visited Benin City for his campaign rally, he was only received at the palace by a team of Benin chiefs led by the Iyase, Chief Sam Igbe. Oba Erediauwa was born in 1923, son of Oba Akenzua II.

Before being crowned he was known as Prince Solomon, Aiseokhuoba, Igbinoghodua Akenzua. He attended Edo College, Benin City, Government College, Ibadan then Yaba College, before going to King’s College, Cambridge to study Law and Administration. He joined the Eastern Nigeria Civil Service in 1957 as a District Officer, later moving to the Federal Civil Service where he retired as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in 1973.

For a short period he was the regional representative of Gulf Oil. In 1975 he was appointed Commissioner for Finance in Bendel State during the Military Administration of Major-General George Agbazika Innih.Ascending to the throne as the 38th Oba of Benin on 23 March 1979.

During this period, he several times acted as a peacemaker between politicians. For example, he intervened in a dispute between Abia State governor Orji Uzor Kalu and Tony Anenih, Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party Board of Trustees, and resolved another face-off involving Anenih and former Edo State Governor Lucky Igbinedion.

More recently, he tried to broker peace between the feuding members of Edo State House of Assembly.It would be recalled that his wife, Queen Esther died about a year ago. we made some calls to one or two family members, but they neither refuted nor confirm the story to be true or false.

We therefore believe this has a lot to do with the tradition of keeping quiet for 30 days. so we advise you handle this as speculation until the palace releases its official statement, so we do not offend the traditions of the great Bini kingdom.May his soul rest in perfect peace.

http://www.mjemagazine.com/breaking-news-the-great-oba-of-benin-is-dead/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Switpal(m): 4:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by SeverusSnape(m): 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
Like really... Where are the edolites?
Come and brief us.
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by leshluap(m): 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
rip
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by madgoat(m): 4:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by eaglechild: 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Caseless: 4:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
Hmmm...

A pastor shall claim he saw this coming and, I guess one of them from that part of Nigeria did prophecy on this oba's death.

The great one, rest in peace!

8 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by ambrosini593(m): 4:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
Apostle suleiman prophecy

23 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by madridguy(m): 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by KanwuliaJara: 4:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
Damn!
The BINI names alone fit cause major earthquakes for heaven and hell combined. grin
Na fight? shocked
KPI
KPO
CHAKPAH

Efrywia! Kai!!!! cry

18 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by dgr8truth(m): 4:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP

Just watch from the great beyond the inauguration of your son GEJ on may 29, and help broadcast the good tidings #GEJtill2019.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by tpiar: 4:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

The BINI names alone fit cause major earthquakes for me

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Skako(m): 4:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
igbo ppl go start drinking their ogogoro now as their master MR jona
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Walelavender(m): 4:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP to the king
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by KanwuliaJara: 4:57pm On Feb 13, 2015
tpiar:
blah blah blah blah. . . . .

You again? undecided
Nor. make me park motto descend on you for "Friday The 13th Special" o!
I don WARN you! kiss

Just KEEP your distance!
Thanks in advance! kiss
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by jaybossYBNL(m): 5:03pm On Feb 13, 2015
may his soul rest in peace
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Dreal1247: 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
Could this be true?
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by tpiar: 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

. . . . . . . . . . *blab* . . . . . . . .
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP, will edit my comment if this post turns out to be false from a fake blogger.
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by babdap: 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
RIP
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Joythah(m): 5:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
True he died on the 28th of Jan
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
Joythah:
True he died on the 28th of Jan

If so e be like say heads don complete wey dey one use bury am.

1 Like

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Arysexy(m): 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
[s]
Skako:

igbo ppl go start drinking their ogogoro now as their master MR jona

[/s]

Who is this animal?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by Arysexy(m): 5:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
Hmmm, no wonder some bodies were found around ring road where hausa currency changing mallams stay.

The heads must have been Completed.

2 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by azimibraun: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
May his soul find peace with God. I pray he has done enough good in his life to make him one of those I will meet in heaven. RIP Sir.
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by EdCure: 5:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
Everyman's heart one day beats it's final beat, his lungs their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and make them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence & spirit will be immortalised by the storytellers and by the memory of those who honor him and make whatever the man did to live forever.

God grant Oba Erediauwa eternal rest.

3 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by KanwuliaJara: 5:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
Eternal rest kwa nu? shocked

Na who be all doz pipo wey dey type R.I.P. for 92 yia ol papa wey live pass JESUS? undecided
The "EH-DIO-VBAN" don dey rest in peace for the past 50 years abi?
Una want make im go chop DOUBLE RATION for yonder? cheesy
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by sathel(m): 5:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
Caseless:
Hmmm...

A pastor shall claim he saw this coming and, I guess one of them from that part of Nigeria did prophecy on this oba's death.

The great one, rest in peace!
thats pastor suleiman of omega fire ministries...khaiii..i fear dat man oo

4 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by buskie13(m): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
who go take over na....i hear say igbenedion na em son.....he he he ....wah doh oooo cheesy
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by wheesin(m): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
what....
Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by toxiflam: 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
If true, apostle Johnson Suleiman 13th prophecy just came through.

13. I saw people crying in the Oba of Benin’s
house.
RIP

7 Likes

Re: The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead by izu777: 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
May he rest in peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ngige Booed In Enugu At Townhall Meeting For Defending Buhari's Sectionalism / Is $1 To N500 Ok?: Nigerians Protest At CBN Headqueters, Abuja (Photos) / Boko Haram Sets New Conditions To Free 83 More Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.