Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,861 members, 7,798,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? (20574 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by AjanleKoko: 9:38am On Feb 02, 2010
^^
You're quite right, it is the employers that we should blame, coupled with the loose labour regulations in Nigeria.
Like I said, in a functional society, it should be illegal for Nigerian nationalities to earn expatriate benefits. That has nothing to do with bargaining power, but rather with a Nigerian national claiming expatriate benefits, such as tax protection.
In most MNCs in Nigeria nowadays, salaries are pretty much standardized. I know of oil and gas, and telecom. Nigerian 'repats' are hired based on their qualification and/or experience, not their location.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by sendtodeji: 12:13pm On Feb 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
You're quite right, it is the employers that we should blame, coupled with the loose labour regulations in Nigeria.
Like I said, in a functional society, it should be illegal for Nigerian nationalities to earn expatriate benefits. That has nothing to do with bargaining power, but rather with a Nigerian national claiming expatriate benefits, such as tax protection.
In most MNCs in Nigeria nowadays, salaries are pretty much standardized. I know of oil and gas, and telecom. Nigerian 'repats' are hired based on their qualification and/or experience, not their location.

You see, I always wonder what went through the minds of our policymakers when they make policies like the one that grants tax protection to expatriates. Most of them won't accord foreign nationalities the same privilege in their own country! Also, it is logical for a Nigerian who has acquired a foreign nationality to claim the same benefits as the expatriates because of the fact that Nigerian immigration laws applies to him/her as well. Do you know that such people have to apply for Nigerian visas to enter the country? They might even require a Work Permit!

Anyway, you brought up another interesting issue on salary standardization. This is a subject that I am quite interested in because there's no publicly available source of data to determine salary structure in some industries in Nigeria. It will be nice if you or anyone else on these forum can give we 'repats' an idea of what obtains in telecoms and oil and gas.

To the statement in bold above, are you saying that MTN staffs working in similar capacities in different geographic areas are receiving the same remuneration?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by AjanleKoko: 1:24pm On Feb 02, 2010
^^
As per the salary thing, figures always vary, so I wouldn't really go there. I can just give you an idea of how the pay is structured
Oil and gas, I can only second-guess, as I don't work there.
Usually there is a standard salary scale across their global organization, and then a localization portion, based on which market they're hiring for. Oilcos do allow for negotiation based on the candidate's skills and experience, but for them, usually your Nigerian citizenship is the major reason why they would be talking to you, in order for them not to incur the costs for high risk relocation that they would pay a real expat. They hire a lot of Nigerians from outside, anyway, but the benefit structure would probably resemble that of a local hire.

For oilcos, they would pay like this:
Expat: Standard package + risk/inconvenience portion + monetized/unmonetized cost of living (house in ikoyi, car, and all the effizi)
Repat: Standard package + Localization portion (which includes the monetized/unmonetized cost of living)
Local: Standard package + Localization portion (which includes the monetized/unmonetized cost of living)

If I were a local engineer crossing over from, say, ExxonMobil to, say, Chevron, it doesn't follow that I would be offered less than the chap coming in from Aberdeen. It boils down to my value to Chevron, which is based on a mix of skills, experience, and qualifications, including previous renumeration.

For telecom, it is not yet standard, as they are not really into graduate employment. Telcos in Nigeria don't approach recruitment from the 'talent pool' perspective. They basically hire functional staff to run their operations, as opposed to oilcos who hire and develop staff based on discipline (i.e. engineers, geoscientists, accountants, etc). Telcos also seem to have adopted a traditional hierarchical structure, while the oilcos are a bit more flat. Telcos hire to fill positions, while oilcos hire for the talent pool.

For Telcos, they would pay like this:
Expat: Negotiated expatriate rates + monetized/unmonetized cost of living (house in ikoyi, car, and all the effizi)
Repat: Role-based package +(?) monetized/unmonetized cost of living +(?) relocation grants
Local: Role-based package. Cost of living is not really factored in, as the base pay in telecom is sometimes up to 90% of your total take home.

This is my view, mind you. There are a few threads around that address the actual money issue, for oilcos and telcos.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Sagamite(m): 1:42am On Feb 03, 2010
sendtodeji:

1. The problem is not with the "people" as you mentioned. It's rather with the employers. It's not the "people" that set the salary. Take for instance, the issue of foreign qualifications. Why should an employer favor someone with a foreign degree over someone with the same degree obtained from a University in Nigeria? The driver is the force of demand and supply. You know the drill.

Because the quality of the curricullum, teaching, experential learning and degree classification process of the main foreign foreign degrees are superior by miles.

sendtodeji:

2. How did "the huge disparities in wages between locals and expats" came to be? What do expats have that locals don't have in the first place? If expats who are non-Nigerians are paid certain remuneration, why shouldn't Nigerians who have the same level of experience and exposure as them be given the same treatment?

Because the expat is most likely to have foreign degree and experience. Also the mentality and work ethic of an average expat ("deliver the best possible"wink is gazillions of miles superior to the mentality and work ethic of an average Nigerian ("abeg e don do, we don try"wink.

You come to London here and go to a Nigerian Restaurant and then go to that of an European country's restaurant and compare standards. ALL Nigerian restaurants have crap service.

I ordered food delivery from a Nigerian restuarant 3 weeks ago, they said it would take 1 hr (this is long as delivery should normally take max 45 mins, but this is their standards for years, no improvement). My food did not arrive for 2hrs 45mins and when it came both food items delivered was not what I ordered. It was at the door when delivering they bothered to tell me that they did not have what I ordered so they took the liberty to substitute without consulting me. I called to complain and all they did was to say they were sorry (if it was an indian restaurant, they would offer a free item at your next order).

I ordered again a week later, the food took 2hrs 30mins to arrive, when they said it would take 1 hr. I complained to manager again, all I got was "sorry".

That would never happen in a western restaurant. Different mentality.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Sagamite(m): 12:18pm On Feb 03, 2010
Here are some of the products of our local institutions.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-343996.0.html

The moo-rons I castigate there would not even get a volunteer writers job in a local estate news publication, talkless of a national newspaper.

But our "educated" Editors gave them roles and publish their junk. A western trained and educated Editor will NEVER give such quacks a breathing career. Different mentalities and attitude towards work and professionalism.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by lekside44(m): 10:23am On Feb 04, 2010
who are the expatriate and what is the condition required to be an expatriate? why must an expatriate be exempted from taxes?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Sagamite(m): 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2010
lekside44:

who are the expatriate and what is the condition required to be an expatriate? why must an expatriate be exempted from taxes?

An expatraite is any individual hired as a non-national of the base country of work, normally requiring a work permit to work, rather than having a right to work based on citizenship.

My guess on exemption is probably because they probably pay tax to their home country, hence are exempted from local tax to avoid double-taxation.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skylo(f): 6:44pm On Feb 11, 2010
please me i want to go back to naija, abeg am looking for a rewarding job,, if u get to know of any,kindly contact me, [b][/b]
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by styles2009: 3:02am On Feb 12, 2010
I would surly go back to Nigeria someday and contribute to the development of my dear country.

First, i would state a famous saying, "its not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".
We need to contribute every little thing to the development of our country,we must not let the greed and enslavement of money to keep us out of  contributing to the development of Nigeria.

Many would say, I am not serious but lets look at this from an angle, how would it benefit us,if we make good degrees,lot of money and build houses in Nigeria, but we cant stay there for 1 week without the fear of Robbery or scared of power failure? you may ask why this now?, if we go home with our degree,set up a business or manage a place like Nepa, do you think the crime rate would increase or decrease

We must not let the government do all the work for us,they are just a few elements,who are ruling the country but we the ordinary citizens of Nigeria must contribute alot to the success and development of the country or we would only trade blame on the internet forums about Bad governance and Corruption.

If i may ask the following schooled abroad and returned home to help the country in so many ways, Late Chief Gani Fawehimi (sam), Professor Wole Soyinka, just to mention a few.

Talk of Gani, i missed his so much in November 2009,when the President flew to an unknown destination,if he was alive,there would have been like 20 suit filed by him and like 300 different protests not to talk of uncountable interviews in the media,

He had some foreign education and used it to contribute greatly to the legal system of Nigeria. (We need more of him now).

I know, its a sacrifice leaving a country with all the good things of life but lets not forget the country you live in right now,they are humans too like Nigerians and all the difference is more hard work by the citizens.

I myself is planning in some years time to go to Nigeria and do my own contribution to the development of Nigeria, We are still young and strong,if we all labor now for our country,we would all reap good things,when we are old.

Styles

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by ayettymama(f): 9:36pm On Feb 14, 2010
@ poster difinitely

theres soo many things that can be done back home

soo much money to be made

so much influence to exhibit

changes to encourage

government to aprehend
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Oluwa77: 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
After my study in abroad, i will go back home to work. Even now some Nigerian abroad are looking for a way of coming back home to work because work here is even better than in abroad
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 05, 2012
I am a nigerian studying in Finland, and i must confess that I would not think it twice of going home after my studies. it's a personal opinion and what I choosed. life is very interesting at home, unlike europe where you might be the only black shopping in the supermarket and everyone are staring at you like a masqurade, coupled with the cold and indoor life. I miss the Nigerian food, the culture and loved one and many other things. it might be a different decision to others, but no matter where you are, its all about being comfortable and appreciated. It would also be a good transition if you have a job waiting for you at home of which I already have. But remember, no matter where you are, no place like home.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by tanimola22: 7:46pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^^^ Good points.

Could you teach me (us) how you got this job in Naija from Helsinki?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 2:08am On Jan 04, 2013
dahonestboss: I am a nigerian studying in Finland, and i must confess that I would not think it twice of going home after my studies. it's a personal opinion and what I choosed. life is very interesting at home, unlike europe where you might be the only black shopping in the supermarket and everyone are staring at you like a masqurade, coupled with the cold and indoor life. I miss the Nigerian food, the culture and loved one and many other things. it might be a different decision to others, but no matter where you are, its all about being comfortable and appreciated. It would also be a good transition if you have a job waiting for you at home of which I already have. But remember, no matter where you are, no place like home.
well said i experience same here in ukraine,wouldmt think twice going home after my studies,you must be lucky to have a job secured for you too,"can a brother have some luck smiley"
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by omidan21: 11:36am On Jan 04, 2013
Oohhh DahonestBoss sweetie,U are a vibrant Nigerian en always helping ur fellow nigerians.The God lord shall continue to bless yah.I really appreciate ur contribution toward d study in finland thread also.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by mukina22: 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2013
SEGUN2003: I have in this country for about 20 years now. I came here on my way to the U.S.A and I sort of fell in love with this place at first sight. I have finished my studies a long tima ago and have started working, but I must confess 'there is no place like home". If I have the oportunity of having a very good job with a good salary, I think I will go back home and try to do my part.
why must u search 4 a good job, why not come back home and creat one urself?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by mukina22: 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2013
Sagamite:

An expatraite is any individual hired as a non-national of the base country of work, normally requiring a work permit to work, rather than having a right to work based on citizenship.

My guess on exemption is probably because they probably pay tax to their home country, hence are exempted from local tax to avoid double-taxation.
so if i get a job outside 9ja dats means i'm an expatriate? Even if na menial job?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by DisGuy: 12:02am On Jan 06, 2013
Wow 7 years later..

Oya former students come register your present location, where in Nigeria are you now wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by toprealman: 7:48am On Nov 20, 2015
Bhola:
Why would any body think of going back to nigeria? I don't think there is any amount of money that is worth my life. I will rather work in walmart for 6dollars/hr, than get "oil money" in nigeria. see, it is not the money, it is the security of life and properties. what is the point of working and making the money and i can't spend it? i can feel like eatin pizza at 3pm and all i'll have to do, is drive to the nearest supercenter. see, the rich are the ones that own nigeria. if u are not going to be rolling in a whole lot of dough, ain't no point. from the time u step out of the plane, u'll start to wonder why u went back. unless something happens to that country, the only time i'll go back is to go do some politics and eat part of the nigeria cake!
DON'T YOU KNOW THAT US IS MORE INSECURE THAN NIGERIA? DO A LITTLE RESEARCH ON RISK PERCEPTION, MAYBE THAT WILL LIBERATE YOU FROM BONDAGE. AS FOR YOUR $6/HR JOB, YOU CAN GET BETTER FROM LIFE SWEET HEART.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by abnur14(m): 11:59am On Nov 20, 2015
yes i wish to go back home but not to work fulltime.cuz NYSC is not my style.i miss alot of things. i jst pray nigeria gets better
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation / What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate? / Man Burns Boss’ Credentials For Refusing To Increase Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.