Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? (38937 Views)

Buhari Writes NASS, Seeks To Borrow $5.851bn For Railway Projects / FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others / Revealed: Majority Of Those Who Returned Looted Money Are APC – Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by kekakuz(m): 10:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
H
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by simplemach(m): 10:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
Political promises and nothing more.
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
Jonathan till 2019

18 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by kolonigga(m): 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
Can APC Explain This...

Below is Addis Ababa light rail commissioned recently. It covers 46 Km and cost $475 Million (N 71.2 Billion) .
>> http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/urban/single-view/view/addis-ababa-light-rail-test-running-begins.html

(Goodluck Jonathan) Abuja-Kaduna standard guage rail project to commence operation in March 2015 covers 187.5km . It cost (N 80 Billion).
>>http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/abuja-kaduna-rail-line-delivered-dec-fg/

(Ameachi of APC) Port Harcourt Mono Rail date of completion unknown, covers 4Km and has gulped (N 150 Billion).
>> http://businessdayonline.com/2013/05/rivers-n150bn-monorail-project-to-be-completed-2015/

(Fashola of Lagos) Lagos Light Rail date of completion unknown, covers 57Km and has consumed (N 160 billion Billion)
>> http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-how-we-spent-n160bn-world-bank-loan-on-light-rail-project/188736/

Who are the thieves? Who are the looters? Who are we suppose to sweep out of office?

APC wants state-of-art trains not old school locomotive ones like GEJ bought
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by thev0ice1: 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
agabaI23:
barcanista and theV0ice let's talk

i noticed this on the Addis Ababa project

Huawei supplied telecoms and fare collection equipment, while CNR Changchun has supplied 41 three-section 70% low-floor light rail vehicles. These are designed to run in pairs at up to 70 km/h, and have tinted windows and rubber components specified to resist premature aging from the effects of strong sunlight at altitudes of 2 400 m.

Note the bolded portion. How many vehicles are included in the FG project? it's not indicated in the Vanguard write up

Also while i DO NOT agree with the monorail project of Ameachi because i think it'll achieve little in terms of number of people that it'll be able to transport (i stayed in PH and have seen it), the cost varies depending on which news outlet you wish to quote e.g see what Thisday said http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ameachi-n74bn-rivers-monorail-ready-by-sept/139562/

For the lagos light rail, i don't really know anything about it as i don't stay in lagos hence can't give on-the-spot assessment as i can give about that of PH. However, we need to know if it's on the ground like the FG project or if it's at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars like Amaechi's project which will undoubtedly increase it's cost.

A lot of factors to bring into the discussion but whatever, i DO NOT support waste of resources.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Dewze(m): 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
jaybee3:

Matthew, GEJ's body language in dealing with corruption is a very big deal. All the people you are referring to should face the wrath of the law if there is evidence to convict them.

Oga Jona is our leader and his inactions as far as corruption is concerned will obviously have massive consequences in the long run

Bro, if it is body language you seek, career politicians and actors will feed you that until you are too full to take in more, yet, they will end up doing nothing.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by EmekaBlue(m): 10:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
#THROWBACK

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
Have you considered other logistics?
compensation? Shipping of materials? lands? etal? How can you calculate based on KM only? Not saying that the contract wasn't over-bloated though
u sef read wetin ya rite, am sure wen ya read it ya won't be happy wif yaself.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by babamadiba(m): 10:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
jaybee3:
Value of land and/or real estate to be compensated exactly the same?
undecided undecided
leave Mumu. At least those once worked. The Pdp governor in my state constructed only 2 round abouts and little road maintenance that ain't gonna last 6 months
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by EmekaBlue(m): 10:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
kinda new in commenting here but despite d challenges in 9ja i can tell u we hav d most interesting blog n pple coz im in diff blogs with other africans...u cant compare them with naija blog wahali...ONE NIGERIA. We too much xcept but these aboki syd no dey add anything but shame to d country and stil they want power they have bin holding frm naija history but still d north luk lyk shithole....music yoruba dey rep..movies igbo dey rep..wetin hausa pple dey rep sef? boko..nonsense

13 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

Huawei supplied telecoms and fare collection equipment, while CNR Changchun has supplied 41 three-section 70% low-floor light rail vehicles. These are designed to run in pairs at up to 70 km/h, and have tinted windows and rubber components specified to resist premature aging from the effects of strong sunlight at altitudes of 2 400 m.

Note the bolded portion. How many vehicles are included in the FG project? it's not indicated in the Vanguard write up

Also while i DO NOT agree with the monorail project of Ameachi because i think it'll achieve little in terms of number of people that it'll be able to transport (i stayed in PH and have seen it), the cost varies depending on which news outlet you wish to quote e.g see what Thisday said http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ameachi-n74bn-rivers-monorail-ready-by-sept/139562/

For the lagos light rail, i don't really know anything about it as i don't stay in lagos hence can't give on-the-spot assessment as i can give about that of PH. However, we need to know if it's on the ground like the FG project or if it's at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars like Amaechi's project which will undoubtedly increase it's cost.

A lot of factors to bring into the discussion but whatever, i DO NOT support waste of resources.

The bold is it
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Senjuchiha: 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2015
Apc...janjalweeds on horseback

4 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by White007(m): 10:35pm On Feb 13, 2015
If there is any reason that makes a Jonathan re-election even more imperative, it is the fact that Nigeria’s opposition party, the APC looked at Nigeria and went into the graves of our nation’s painful past to exhume their candidate. There is nothing new that Buhari is bringing to the table in 2015 that Jonathan did not accomplish four years ago. Beyond party affiliation, as a Nigerian youth, there is something awfully backward about the idea of a Buhari presidency. There are some brands that packaging cannot sell, no matter the competence, creativity or innovation of the packager. This is the dilemma of the Buhari campaign.The law of diminishing returns is a reality promoters of Buhari must come to terms with. More than the problem of Buhari’s old age is the bigger problem of the age of his ideas. What ideas will Buhari run our new Nigeria with? We are being told to make a 72-year-old man President over a future Nigeria he will not be part of. How does that even sound? Promoters of Buhari are telling us to drop a President Jonathan who has a clear record of performance for a Buhari who Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka described as a man in whom we have been offered “no evidence of the sheerest prospect of change.

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by stigman(m): 10:35pm On Feb 13, 2015
darksuit:
Minister of works abi finance
Who be their Oga @ the top
If ur clueless dude thinks they're stealing
cash, y cant he expose and deal
with them comprehensively if he is really
the hero you make him look like.
Please be sensible next time.
Thank you for ur anticipated cooperation.

Sai Buhari

P.S.-I dont think d info gan is correct

Fish, APC and kworruption be like rice and stew, for 12years plus now they are still constructing lekki - Epe road, inside this 12years the are still within Ajah and u are shouting change like person wey conductor never give change

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Senjuchiha: 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:

God y?y??y,y u cari ds janjalweed sense gv monkey

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Vicotex(m): 10:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
jaybee3:

Yes i would.
I've commended GEJ's effort on restructuring the public sector by streamlining the workforce and getting rid of duplication which in time should increase efficiency and reduce waste.
This action is even more necessary in this tough economic times.
He is doing what a responsible government should do.

but most people dont see it this way

1 Like

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by donjaby(m): 10:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
ok
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Feraz(m): 10:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:

Read what you wrote again. So that 'state-of-art' trains made Amaechi spend over N100billion and the date of completion is not known but that of Addis Ababa costs less than the amount for a longer distance.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Senjuchiha: 10:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
We Need more Cluelessness
*He is Clueless yet his Government was the first in the
World to conquer the dreaded Ebola Virus.
* He is Clueless yet under his leadership,Nigeria has
become the 3rd fastest growing economy in the world.
*He is Clueless yet his Minister for Agriculture has been
begged to come show the world how he eliminated
corruption and transformed the Agriculture sector.
*He is Clueless yet his Petroleum minister was elected to be
the First female President of OPEC.
*He is Clueless yet under his leadership,the Nigerian
Economy is Number one in Africa.
*He is Clueless yet he was able to Privatize the Power
sector which none could do before him.
* He is Clueless yet he has built more roads than any other
government before him.
*He is Clueless yet for the first time in our history,we now
have over 10 Automobile manufacturers in Nigeria.
*He is Clueless yet he's built over 12 tertiary institutions
within 4 years.
If all these were achieved by a clueless man,we need the
Cluelessness to continue till 2019.

48 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by victor08(m): 10:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
[size=18pt]Women Generally Love Men With Big DICK can perform wonders on bed. We CAN help you achieve that we our original HANDSOME UP Diick Pump. The pump when used over corrects the problem of erectile dysfunction for people having premature ejaculation.We are the exclusive distributors in Nigeria.
[/size]

Call 08125995807
Email- ese.peter@yahoo.com

2 Shares

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by luvinhubby(m): 10:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:

Like the 'state of the art' Canadian decommissioned trains that Fashola bought for Lagos rails.

APC is a party of progressive fraudstars.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by M4gunners: 10:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
0700Jesse:
these buharists are too sentimental
They are just fooling themselves in my own opinion, they know the truth but fail to acknowledge it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 13, 2015
barcanista:
Do you know that the Amaechi and Fashola light rail are at an elevated altitude therefore propped by pillars which will undoubtedly increase it's cost?
Have you considered other logistics?

compensation? Shipping of materials? lands? etal?

How can you calculate based on KM only? Not saying that the project wasn't over-bloated though
if you agreed the projects could be ovr-bloated what then is your argument?

11 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by anonimi: 10:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:

Chai, APCheat supporters don suffer die, really shocked
State of the art ko, state of the science ni grin

TTC in talks to sell old trains to Lagos. Are they safe enough?
AUGUST 10, 2011

As Toronto trainspotters gleefully take maiden rides on the TTC's Rocket, commuters in Lagos, Nigeria may be about to get some new trains of their own. Our old ones.

A TTC spokesperson has confirmed that the commission is negotiating with a private group to sell up to 260 used train cars to the West African megacity's new transit project.

"I can confirm that the TTC is in discussion with a third party that wants to purchase trains for Lagos," said commission spokesperson Brad Ross. "Over a period of time, they will be taken out of service and then transported over to Nigeria."

The cars being considered for sale are the TTC's old H-5 and H-6 models, which will be decommissioned as the TTC rolls out its new fleet of Rockets. Ross predicts the earliest they could be shipped to Nigeria is sometime in 2012.

Traffic snarls are already a major economic problem in the Nigerian capital, a booming city that will reach an estimated population of 25 million by 2015. A new above-ground rail system designed to carry 1.5 million people a day has already broken ground, and Lagos Governor Babtunde Fashola has said it "will be the most multi-dimensional and most impactful" of the government's efforts to reduce traffic congestion.

Fashola visited Toronto earlier this year to inspect the TTC trains.

The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures, he says the sticker price for Lagos is "significantly more" than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars.

It is not unusual for technology from western nations to end up in poorer countries. Marketplaces in Africa and Asia are flooded with North American clothes, computers, and even cars, but the purchase of larger technology like trains is rarer.

The cars will have to be significantly refurbished to fit existing infrastructure in Lagos, and some Nigerian media reports have lamented that[b] the government appears to have settled on "tokundo," or used, trains instead of brand new vehicles.[/b]

Although half the cars are more than 30 years old, Ross is adamant they are perfectly safe and are only being decommissioned for capacity reasons. But he also admitted the TTC is not required to make sure the cars meet any safety standards before selling them.

"Once sold, it's up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order," he said. "They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life."

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

"We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we're not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles," Haider said. "There's metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos."

He also warned that while rail systems are glamorous as far as transit infrastructure goes, they are not always as effective at reducing congestion as other options. Nevertheless, new rail systems are frequently preferred because governments can take advantage of kickbacks from large contracts.

According to media reports, the cost estimates for the Lagos rail project have varied wildly from $1.2 billion to $30 billion. In 2010, a Nigerian government watchdog accused Fashola's government of widespread corruption.

"More often than not, politicians favour rail transit because it is more expensive," Haider said. "It's almost useless in some cases, and less productive in most cases, than a bus system. But you can't buy busses for $30 billion. You can inflate prices and make a lot of money buying a rail system."

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by GoldCircle: 10:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
victor08:
[size=18pt]Women Generally Love Men With Big DICK can perform wonders on bed. We CAN help you achieve that we our original HANDSOME UP Diick Pump. The pump when used over corrects the problem of erectile dysfunction for people having premature ejaculation.We are the exclusive distributors in Nigeria.
[/size]

Call 08125995807
Email- ese.peter@yahoo.com
just imagine? Ehn! I weep for your parents. Na person pickin be dis o! This is your stock in trade. Your profession! To make people's peni.s bigger?! I sorry for you!

5 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
Ceejayo:

if you agreed the projects could be ovr-bloated what then is your argument?
I did not agree, I said I am not taking position whether or not the projects were overbloated. Read again abeg
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by M17: 10:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
REMEMBER NOT TO BASE YOUR BUDGET ON NIGER-DELTA OIL .

DO YOUR BUDGET BASED ON COCOA AND GROUND-NUT .CHIKENA .

FOR YOUR NEW REPUBLIC

8 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by kennydee05(m): 10:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
Their is no major construction of rail line done by GEJ. What he did were rehabilitation of the rail line and their is no way that will cost much compare to those that are doing the major construction like the one being Fashola is doing.
GEJ only did some weldering of the tail line.
Don't get it twisted bro
Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by anonimi: 10:57pm On Feb 13, 2015
kennydee05:
Their is no major construction of rail line done by GEJ. What he did were rehabilitation of the rail line and their is no way that will cost much compare to those that are doing the major construction like the one being Fashola is doing.
GEJ only did some weldering of the tail line.
Don't get it twisted bro

Na you dey get am twisted:

(Goodluck Jonathan) Abuja-Kaduna standard guage rail project to commence operation in March 2015 covers 187.5km . It cost (N 80 Billion).
>>http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/abuja-kaduna-rail-line-delivered-dec-fg/

Did you click to read the whole news from Vanguard abi Boko (Education) is Haram (Forbidden) for you just like the old pensioner who ran away from school to join the army

10 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by agabaI23(m): 10:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
thev0ice1:

It is not elevated, at least not this part. Have you considered that some bridges will be built for the Kaduna-Abuja rail too?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? by talktimi(m): 10:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
Jagaban must eat cool ALOBAM

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Osinbajo Campaign: RCCG Youth Pastor Calls For Sack Of RCCG Head Politics Dir / Saraki’s Trial: PDP Plots To Pick Senate President / Seyi Makinde Visits Demolished Fresh FM In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.