Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:43 PM

Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? (1796 Views)

Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People / How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People / FRSC Set To Ban The Use Of Substandard Tyre Sealing Paste And Gum By Vulcanizers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 14, 2015
Okay... "vulcanizer" according the dictionary apparently does not even relate directly to the vivid application of the word by myself and other motorists in the Nigerian enviroment, cheesy I guess we should refer to them as Tyre Repairers or something but that is beside the main point of this thread.
Tyre pressure without doubt is something that no vehicle user will joke with. Many people patronize these road-side vulcanizers to periodically check their tyre pressures most times before a road trip or after they have a flat tyre.
Recently, I was at a vulcanizers' shop to guage a SUVs' tyres before a road trip. On guaging the tyres, he said the pressure in the tyres were too low. He then inflated the tyre, after which I asked him what pressure he guaged the tyres, He said 45. I was surprised because I saw clearly pasted by the door that the recommended tyre pressure is 30 PSi. I told him this but He insisted that that was the pressure they use for SUVs. [Me I sha released some pressure from the tyres when I got home.] I don't know the unit our vulcanizers use, apparently some of them don't know too.
Tyre blow-outs usually occur when tyre pressures are too high especially in the front wheels which I believe get hotter during driving mainly due to braking & friction.

Questions are:
Are our tyres constantly being over inflated?,
Are the recommended pressures to be constantly adhered to or are there some environment-related variables?
Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by ArchEnemy(m): 9:24pm On Feb 14, 2015
Like going to 'guage' your tyre before a journey, meanwhile your tyres could get over inflated.
If only some of them would familiarize themselves with tyre specifications and act accordingly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 14, 2015
ArchEnemy:
Like going to 'guage' your tyre before a journey, meanwhile your tyres could get over inflated.
If only some of them would familiarize themselves with tyre specifications and act accordingly.
Yeah
Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by uboma(m): 10:17pm On Feb 14, 2015
Always insist on the recommendation of the manufacturer of your vehicle. If it says 30, don't settle for 45.

You can also invest in a mobile electronic air pressure and tire gauge. It will save you a whole lot of stress that our uninformed roadside Vulcanizers makes us pass through.

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 14, 2015
uboma:
Always insist on the recommendation of the manufacturer of your vehicle. If it says 30, don't settle for 45.

You can also invest in a mobile electronic air pressure and tire gauge. It will save you a whole lot of stress that our uninformed roadside Vulcanizers makes us pass through.
Thank you.
But what becomes of other vehicle users that are not that enlightened?
You know, one is often tempted to think "well...it's his job, he's trained, he's the expert...

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by abatically(m): 10:34pm On Feb 14, 2015
Ironically on my friend's crv says 30psi on the drivers door, but the tpms light stays on until u inflate to 40psi.

My question is this. Is the tire pressure dependent on tire size or we should maintain that's written on the door even if we altered the tire size ?

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by uboma(m): 10:34pm On Feb 14, 2015
0rex:
Thank you. But what becomes of other road users that are not that enlightened?

My brother, hmmm! No matter how hard we try, we can't save the world...
Why not we start with our family and friends and encourage them to keep passing on the information. Maybe that will help.

This is what our Vehicle Inspection Officers should be interested in instead of hunting down people to fleece them.

2 Likes

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 3:44am On Feb 15, 2015
abatically:
Ironically on my friend's crv says 30psi on the drivers door, but the tpms light stays on until u inflate to 40psi.

My question is this. Is the tire pressure dependent on tire size or we should maintain that's written on the door even if we altered the tire size ?
TPMS can learn and adapt to adjustment in tyre pressure by reprogramming them via steps provided to do so in your manual. My HL and RX requires 30psi C.A.P all round however, one can increase them by 10psi if one want to embark on journeys. I DON'T increase nothing. 30psi it stays (lately I don't travel with any of my vehicle).

Initially when I started clamoring for 30psi on my vehicles, 'furknaisa' said "oga, the tyre go spoil, the rim go bend, the alloy wheel go break if e jam gallop, and e go too less for the motor". On my insistence, he grudgingly did my bidding and was surprised at the result. He confessed it himself to always pump my tyres to 30psi. Sorry for him, I don't have leaks anywhere so no reduction besides, I have a guage.

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 15, 2015
lomomike:
grin Those Vulcanizers ehn...
Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by FlyboyZee: 9:32am On Feb 15, 2015
Most tyres I have used recommends not exceeding 44psi. So most times I go with the tyre manufacturer's recommendations rather than that by the car manufacturer. I always ensure that no tyre is inflated beyond 40psi. I don't know if this is a good practice?

My problem with most 'Fulkanizas' is that before you say Jack, they have already inflated your tyre to 50psi, especially when you drop the tyre with them to come pick it up later. Is it okay for them to over-inflate the tyre and then deflate it a little to arrive at the recommended psi? In my opinion, its as if they push the tyre beyond its boundary, weakening the threads and the tyre before deflating it to the required psi, which would in turn lead to bad tyres and continued visit to the Fulkaniza. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 15, 2015
FlyboyZee:
Most tyres I have used recommends not exceeding 44psi. So most times I go with the tyre manufacturer's recommendations rather than that by the car manufacturer. I always ensure that no tyre is inflated beyond 40psi. I don't know if this is a good practice?

My problem with most 'Fulkanizas' is that before you say Jack, they have already inflated your tyre to 50psi, especially when you drop the tyre with them to come pick it up later. Is it okay for them to over-inflate the tyre and then deflate it a little to arrive at the recommended psi? In my opinion, its as if they push the tyre beyond its boundary, weakening the threads and the tyre before deflating it to the required psi, which would in turn lead to bad tyres and continued visit to the Fulkaniza. What do you guys think?

The car manufacturers spec details on the safe recommended cold air pressure allowable for your car, the load inclusive. The tyre manufacturers spec detail the max allowable cold air pressure any load exceeding this is gonna be disastrous.

Stick to car manufacturer's recommended cold air pressure specification and stay safe and comfortable while driving.

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by nurey(m): 12:10pm On Feb 15, 2015
My car says 32 for normal use and 40 for heavy use the car is toyota sienna 2000, but I do 35 for front tyres and 40 for back tyres, the reason is this, if the back tyres are given 35psi because of the extra tyre bolted under the car it would hit the ground constantly bumps, bad roads so at 40 the extra tyre doesn't touch the ground, so that also another way I know when one of the back tyres needs guaging

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 15, 2015
Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far.

I observed that when the tyre pressure is too high (higher than recommended) it also affects driving smoothness, like when you enter pot holes or climb bumps you notice an increased harshness on the car. Is it true or just psychological?
Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
0rex:
Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far.

I observed that when the tyre pressure is too high (higher than recommended) it also affects driving smoothness, like when you enter pot holes or climb bumps you notice an increased harshness on the car. Is it true or just psychological?

True but not completely truer than when one with an over inflated tyre running at highspeed suddenly hits a deep pothole, vehicle may career off the road, tyre may explode, shocks, struts suspension and/or other components get strained and may be distorted. Come to think of it, a car with 45psi running on a road even the slightest imperfections will be transferred to the body, quicker tyre wear bald in middle of tyres, altered fuel economy, car bouncing and unbalanced.

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
FlyboyZee:

The maximum pressure printed on the tyre is the MAXIMUM the tyre is rated at / tested to. It does NOT take into account different vehicles that will use it. Vehicle weights and suspension set-ups will dictate what pressures the tyres should be run at.

A tyre rated at a maximum pressure of 44psi will NOT be chosen by a vehicle manufacturer where their recommendation is 34/36 unladen, and 35/42 laden. There has to be a bigger margin. For example, my 2005 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro tyre pressures are 38/38 unladen, and 38/45 laden. Which means it's unlikely tyres rated at a maximum pressure of 44psi will be safe, or indeed available in my size.

My car weighs more than most crossover SUV's at 1,954 kgs unladen, so more or less 2 metric tonnes. Tyre size is 255/45x18. The tyre maximum pressures are 60psi.

It is NEVER advised to exceed the vehicle manufacturer's tyre pressures, assuming the factory tyre sizes are used. There are usually at least 6 different wheel and tyre size combinations available for modern vehicles.

An interesting note here - SUV's often have taller tyres than cars. An example is a Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero. 265/70x16. Contrary to what what many may wrongly assume, the maximum pressures front and rear are 26/26 unladen, and 26/34 fully laden. This is common to many medium-size Japanese SUV's. The exception is European SUV's and more current Japanese models where the performance is higher, closer to that of a regular family high-performance sedan or wagon.

Then look at your regular Okada. Tyre pressures are 36-40psi, despite their small size. Run them at 30-32psi, and as soon as the rider mounts it, the rear tyre will be flat.

Stick to recommended tyre pressures guys, and drive safely!

4 Likes

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by uboma(m): 4:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
nurey:
My car says 32 for normal use and 40 for heavy use the car is toyota sienna 2000, but I do 35 for front tyres and 40 for back tyres, the reason is this, if the back tyres are given 35psi because of the extra tyre bolted under the car it would hit the ground constantly bumps, bad roads so at 40 the extra tyre doesn't touch the ground, so that also another way I know when one of the back tyres needs guaging

How do you differentiate normal use from heavy use?

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by FlyboyZee: 6:21pm On Feb 15, 2015
lomomike:

The car manufacturers spec details on the safe recommended cold air pressure allowable for your car, the load inclusive. The tyre manufacturers spec detail the max allowable cold air pressure any load exceeding this is gonna be disastrous.

Stick to car manufacturer's recommended cold air pressure specification and stay safe and comfortable while driving.
Really informative. Noted. Thanks...

Siena:

The maximum pressure printed on the tyre is the MAXIMUM the tyre is rated at / tested to. It does NOT take into account different vehicles that will use it. Vehicle weights and suspension set-ups will dictate what pressures the tyres should be run at.
A tyre rated at a maximum pressure of 44psi will NOT be chosen by a vehicle manufacturer where their recommendation is 34/36 unladen, and 35/42 laden. There has to be a bigger margin. For example, my 2005 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro tyre pressures are 38/38 unladen, and 38/45 laden. Which means it's unlikely tyres rated at a maximum pressure of 44psi will be safe, or indeed available in my size.
My car weighs more than most crossover SUV's at 1,954 kgs unladen, so more or less 2 metric tonnes. Tyre size is 255/45x18. The tyre maximum pressures are 60psi.
It is NEVER advised to exceed the vehicle manufacturer's tyre pressures, assuming the factory tyre sizes are used. There are usually at least 6 different wheel and tyre size combinations available for modern vehicles.
An interesting note here - SUV's often have taller tyres than cars. An example is a Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero. 265/70x16. Contrary to what what many may wrongly assume, the maximum pressures front and rear are 26/26 unladen, and 26/34 fully laden. This is common to many medium-size Japanese SUV's. The exception is European SUV's and more current Japanese models where the performance is higher, closer to that of a regular family high-performance sedan or wagon.
Then look at your regular Okada. Tyre pressures are 36-40psi, despite their small size. Run them at 30-32psi, and as soon as the rider mounts it, the rear tyre will be flat.
Stick to recommended tyre pressures guys, and drive safely!
Quite educative. Noted. Thanks...

You guys have not shed light on my second question...

1 Like

Re: Are Our Vulcanizers Responsible For Some Road Accidents? by nurey(m): 11:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
uboma:

How do you differentiate normal use from heavy use?
Weight my friend, if you are carrying more load you will nEed to increase the pressure in the tyre ie when the whole seat is taken and you doing long journey compared to when you are in the city and only you is driving

(1) (Reply)

Where To Buy Honda CVT Fluid / I Need A Good Tokunbo Engine For This Daihatsu Mini Bus / The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.