Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe (4319 Views)

"N42million Tithe In Benue Is Chicken Feed" - Bishop Kukah / 10 Reasons Why You Should TITHE... / Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2015
From my blog, boldproclaimer. :

"Do It By the Book"

God never commanded anyone in His Word to tithe money to a Church or a Temple. Yet, so many in Churches around the world today are lied to every time the offering plate is passed. “God requires you to tithe your money” is spoken from the pulpit. “If you don’t tithe, you are a God-robber! You are cursed!” Is often shouted to put the laity in a state of guilt and condemnation. Relax Saints of God… Fear not. God never authorized that pastor to speak those deceitful and unkind words to your ears.

Let’s examine the Scriptures and see what they say concerning
God’s commanded tithe, shall we? But first, let us visit two sons of Aaron at the Tabernacle…

Leviticus 10:1-2 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

In the above text, two of Aaron’s sons were struck dead because they offered “strange fire” to God upon the altar of the Lord. What exactly was this “strange fire” that they offered that so displeased the Lord? We are not told. But we are given a special insight as to how precise God wants our offerings to Him be. Nadab and Abihu had offered something that God had not commanded.

Now, one would think, “Hey, at least they were offering something to God. What wrong can be in that?” But God said they offered something that was not commanded.

A lesson should be learned by all from the reading of the account of Nadab and Abihu. That lesson is, “Do It By The Book”.

God has given us His Word as an instruction manual. This “manual” tells us what God expects of us as His dear children. If we are disobedient, God’s chastening hand will be upon us. It surely was upon Nadab and Abihu when they offered strange fire upon the altar. The manner in which we are to live is laid out for us in the New Testament section of the Holy Bible.

Now, please don’t go off on a tangent, saying I don’t like the Old Testament. I do. I cherish both the Old and the New. I read them both and learn from them both.

But the fact is, the New contains the pattern by which God wants us to live today. Hebrews 8 tells us that in AD 66 the Old Covenant was ready to pass away and that God was bringing us into a New Covenant. We cannot live in the Old Covenant promises, curses, edicts, laws, statutes, and ordinances. God doesn’t expect us to.

In AD 51, the Apostles met in Jerusalem with the religious leaders of the day. Their order of meeting was to discuss Gentiles who had been recently converted to faith in Christ. The religious leaders of Jerusalem were insisting that the Gentiles had to keep the Law of Moses or they could not be saved.

The Apostle Peter spoke before them all, rebuking them for placing a yoke upon the Gentile Brethren that neither the Jews of that day, nor their ancestors could keep themselves. Peter told them they were tempting God in their demands. The Apostle James said the religious leaders were overthrowing the souls of the Gentiles.

At the close of the meeting, James wrote a letter to the Gentile Believers and sent it to them by the hands of Paul and Barnabas, telling the Gentiles that the Apostles had given no such command that they keep the Law. He also sent Judas and Silas with the same words, but not written… they were to speak to the Gentiles, telling them that they were not commanded to keep the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law was part of an Old Covenant that was soon to pass away.

In many Churches around the world today, there is a doctrine being taught that could be called “strange fire”. That doctrine is the monetary tithe requirement doctrine.

Pastors will stand in their pulpits and preach from the Old Covenant the command to tithe that was given to Israel. But, they replace the tithe God commanded, an agricultural tithe, with a tithe consisting of money. It no longer is the tithe that God required of Israel. It has become “strange fire.”

No longer the agricultural tithe that was commanded by God for the children of Israel in Mount Sinai, (Leviticus 27:30-34) it is now a monetary tithe. No longer a tithe that was to be given to Levites, to widows, to orphans, to strangers in Israel, (Numbers18:21,24,26,28; Deuteronomy 14:22-29; Nehemiah 10:37-38) it is now given to pastors of Churches around the world.

The “tithes” were good when God had control of them, but modern-day Nadab’s, modern-day Abihu’s have turned them into a “strange fire” which God never commanded. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Many pastors today are tempting God and putting a yoke upon their congregations that God never authorized them to do.

Search the Scriptures. When you do, you will find that God’s holy tithe was never commanded for the New Testament Church, never carried to the New Testament Church, never collected in the New Testament Church, and never controlled by the New Testament Church.

Pastors would do well to set aside this sin of preaching a strange fire and offering it to God in the Sunday prayers. Seek out what the New Covenant says concerning the saved and their giving. They are not to be coerced into giving, they are not to be made to fear a curse from God. Rather, they should be taught to give simply because “they love Jesus.”

Teach them as the Apostle Paul taught the saints and brethren at the Church in Corinth… as they purpose in their hearts to give, give cheerfully and willingly God will be honored more by a loving offering than by “strange fire”

Do it by the Book

People, If you insist that God requires you to tithe, that you are being obedient to God and His Holy Word, at least have the decency and respect for God and His Holy Word to do it in accordance to what He has written in His Holy Word.

When you tithe, don’t take it to a Church in a Gentile land. God never commanded such. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and take it to the Promised Land. ( Deut. 12:1,10-11)

When you tithe, don’t give it to a Gentile preacher. God never commanded that. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and take it to the Levite, the widow, the orphan and the foreigner (which would include yourself) in the Promised Land. ( Deut 14:22-29 )

When you tithe, don’t tithe money. God never commanded such a tithe. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and tithe agricultural products that are grown in the Promised Land. (Leviticus 27:30-33)

If you insist on tithing, don’t tithe that which comes from Gentile hands on Gentile soil. God never commanded it. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and move to the Promised land Israel so you can cultivate the land and have the tithe that God required in the Mosaic Law.

But remember…
.Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

If you are not going to “Do It By The Book”, don’t try to convince me that you are being obedient to God in tithing. It is just the opposite… you are being rebellious to what He decreed concerning how His holy tithe was to be observed and kept.

Maybe it’s best you stop offending in that point of the Law and just submit to God’s will concerning your giving today.

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

God does not require tithe of your money. Instead, He wants you to give simply out of your love for Him.
Not as others dictate, but as you choose in your heart. Give with a willing heart; not because you have to, but because you want to… and He will be pleased.

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Princewell2012(m): 6:32pm On Feb 19, 2015
@robosky02, what makes you to gave us all these endless epistle, is it not for you to convince us that tithing is aceptable under dnew covenant lets me ask you a simple guestion. who is a labourer? when i hired you to work in my vineyard, you' re a labourer (employee) i am an employer right? am a rewarder, i will pay you ur wages, base on agreement. i hired u, i knows how 2 pay u whenever ur done. now if u have decided 2 manipulate figures, to take care of urself, where man dey work na dia hi dey chop, dats exactly what u re doing, and that is called coruption, stealing by tricks, fraud, u name it. I wonder why men will misapplied d scriptures in other to defends themselves. Our God is a mysterious God,he knows how to makes a way where there is no way. He is our great provider, he knows how to provides for his children. you can't help him. u c what heppen to uzzah, in 2samuel, when he was trying to hold the ark of God from falling, God strucked him dead. wen he knows he was not permited to touch it.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
You need a tall tale to describe shiit to someone who does not give
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
Hello OP,

I do not tithe. And I think your ten points for tithing, even though they are quite interesting, they have very poor scriptural foundation.

If you do not mind, I would like engage you in a Q and A on tithing. So that it might be fair, I would ask a question, you will answer and when I am satisfied, you will ask yours.

By the way, I am a born again Christian. A minister of the Lord Jesus Christ.

My question: from your item 6, what do you mean by 'a person is condemned if he spends God's money'. Condemned to what: hell, penury or what? Please provide scriptural positions for your points.

Ok let me answer you, in number 6 we said

6. To Escape Condemnation.
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3: .
How sad it is that people who are honest in business and who pay their debts to the bank, the store, and the government will not pay God what belongs to Him! Sometimes people quibble about whether they are "paying" or "giving" tithes, but both terms seem appropriate. The tithe is the Lord's and He expects us to pay it to Him; at the same time, He does not receive it until we give it to Him. He does not give us the authority to use His tithes for other purposes, but we have the power to spend it as long as it is in our hands. Nevertheless, a person is condemned if he spends God's money.

The condemnation I mean in this context is bringing yourself under a curse

Malachi 3: 8-10
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Look at verse 9 carefully its not my words but the scriptures

Thus a man is condemned to a curse if he does not pay tithe.

NOTE: you may not see it but when the effect of the curse show up eg struggles, fail contracts etc
Then you will understand it
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 8:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
The saved who do not tithe have no need to fear the curse of Malachi 3. (which is actually, the curse of Deuteronomy 28)

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:

Rather, it is those who tithe who are under the curse.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by WinsomeX: 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
robosky02:

Ok let me answer you, in number 6 we said

6. To Escape Condemnation.
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me… in tithes and offerings" (Malachi 3: .
How sad it is that people who are honest in business and who pay their debts to the bank, the store, and the government will not pay God what belongs to Him! Sometimes people quibble about whether they are "paying" or "giving" tithes, but both terms seem appropriate. The tithe is the Lord's and He expects us to pay it to Him; at the same time, He does not receive it until we give it to Him. He does not give us the authority to use His tithes for other purposes, but we have the power to spend it as long as it is in our hands. Nevertheless, a person is condemned if he spends God's money.

The condemnation I mean in this context is bringing yourself under a curse

Malachi 3: 8-10
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Look at verse 9 carefully its not my words but the scriptures

Thus a man is condemned to a curse if he does not pay tithe.

NOTE: you may not see it but when the effect of the curse show up eg struggles, fail contracts etc
Then you will understand it

Thank you.

What do you understand by the phrase, as quoted above by Mark Miwerds, Gal 3:13: Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law?

What is the true biblical tithe God is speaking on in Malachi 3?

Where did anyone tithe money in the bible?

Where did Jesus, his apostles or anyone at all tithe in the NT church?

That will be all my questions. If you have no question for me, I will return to answer my questions in case I am not satisfied with your answers.

5 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by WinsomeX: 6:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
WinsomeX:

Thank you.

What do you understand by the phrase, as quoted above by Mark Miwerds, Gal 3:13: Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law?

That will be all my questions. If you have no question for me, I will return to answer my questions in case I am not satisfied with your answers.

I just checked through the OP profile and noticed that he has regularly been on this forum but has refused to give answers to these question because he MAY not have answers to them. I want to make it clear that I have debated tithes so much on this forum that I have grown above relishing the joy of winning an argument. I therefore engage this type discuss not because of winning but to point out the fact that, a gospel that believes in tithing, is far from the gospel of Jesus Christ. And that a plethora of false Christians are today in church because we have inadvertently believed a false gospel. I offer answers to my own questions:

WinsomeX:

Thank you.

NT evidence point to the fact that Jesus chief assignment was to deliver men from a curse.

The curse began with the one God pronounced on Adam in the Garden. Then there was the curse that was certain to be that of men when they broke the laws of Moses. All these Christ redeemed us from as we became born again from the second Adam and as we left the law of Moses for the law of Spirit of life. So, if there was a curse in Malachi 3, it could not be imputed on the Christian because the Christian is not obligated to keep the laws of Moses, under which tithing will be found, which God was speaking about in that passage.

WinsomeX:

Those who critic modern day tithing like to distinguish between a biblical tithe and the money tithe that people collect today. It is obvious from all scriptures from Genesis to Revelation that tithes was never money. Talkless it being a tenth of salary.

This is the tithe: Leviticus 27:30-33 - the tithe were to be from the fruit of the tree, seed of the ground and the tenth of the herd. The tithe were agricultural products. That is why God said in Malachi 3 that the tithes should be brought into his house, so that there might be FOOD in my house. Tithes were food. See all scriptures that concerns tithes in the Old Testament, it was food. The tithes Jesus refered to in Matthew 23:23 were food spices. So where did Pastor learn that tithes was a tenth of ones salary or monetary earnings?

WinsomeX:

The answer is nowhere!

Some like to refer to Abraham tithing war spoils. That money would have been included. I agree. But the Abraham type of tithe was different from that of Moses. Moses never demanded tithes of war spoils - see Numbers 31. So what Abraham gave was a customary tithe. Not a tithe demanded of God. And we cannot of certainty claim there was money included in the war spoil. There could have been. But we must be silent where scriptures are silent.

No one tithed money in the bible.

WinsomeX:

Nowhere. Period.

I began this discuss by showing that the error in tithing is not just that people practiced something wrong in the church. It is deeper. It points to a whole false theology and religion. The religion that is built around tithing or compulsory tithing is a religion of Mammon and not that of Christ.

From Christ's words it was clear that Mammon will forever contend the place of God in men's heart. The people guilty of these mammon worship are the tithe preachers and collectors.

If you will learn to stop tithing, you will learn a whole new world of Christianity. It is like becoming born again, again.

That's the reason many fight the tithe doctrine tooth and nail. It will either deny greedy Pastor their love of filthy lucre or it will deny the religious Christian his security in a false Christ.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 24, 2015
This thread should be closed. This TITHE-ish has been thoroughly dealt with.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by PastorKun(m): 7:14am On Feb 25, 2015
timonski:
This thread should be closed. This TITHE-ish has been thoroughly dealt with.

But a lot of people are still falling for the tithe scam and tithe preachers are not relenting in their efforts, if anything at all more threads need to be open to enlighten people more on the tithing scam.

3 Likes

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by FortresOfChrist(f): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2015
Romans 8:1, Amplified Bible (AMP)

Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
It’s so amazing that man (especially the undegenerated man) finds it difficult to GIVE:
He’s philosophy has always been

GET ALL YOU CAN,
CAN ALL YOU GET and
SEAT ON THE CAN

No wonder that Paul say he wish that you grow in the “GIVING GRACE” the ability to give
Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also. 2 Corinthians 8:7 (KJV)

Four things I wish to point out

1. Tithing – Precede the Old Testament.

While most people say tithe is an old testament practice I wish to point out that the tithing was instituted long before the Old Testament started.
Abraham was the first man to give tithe long before Moses came with the LAW.

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having nither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually. Hebrews 7:1-3

2. Jesus did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

The Fulfillment of the Law MATTHEW 5:17
17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

We are under grace but not at liberty to break the law. Or else adultery, stealing, killing will not be a sin in the New Testament since it was in the old testament law.

When Jesus meet the Pharisees he didn’t say don’t pay tithe rather he said this ye ought to do as much as……..
"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

3. Salvation is a free gift; but the blessings of God are based on conditions.

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Your interpretation of this scripture is poor. Let me lay a foundation

a) Note God has declared that he would bless Abraham and his seed thus establishing the ABRAHAMIC COVENANT.

“And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." Gen 12:2-3

I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, gen 26: 4

b) We (The gentiles) were never part of that covenant and could not access it

Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." Gal 3:8

c) But when Jesus came he break the curse and became the link by which the Abrahamic covenant came come to the gentiles.

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.Gal 3:13
What Jesus did on the cross he BROKE the curse of the law and entitled us the gentile to access The ABRAHAMIC COVENANT (the blessings)

4. Now the blessing of God is conditional:

It is based on your willingness and obedience. And I still repeat it paying tithe is not a force (so you can choose to keep your money heaven will NEVER go bankrupt because YOU didn’t give).
But if you want to walk in the blessing OBEDIENCE is the key.

19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19-20
If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures. Job 36:11
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by robosky02(m): 5:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
next i will talk about the purpose of tithing

cos if you know the purpose giving would not be an headach
Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 9:10pm On Feb 25, 2015
Robosky,

Is the thread about tithing? or giving? They are not the same.

I can give 30% of my food to a neighbor in need if I choose. But I could not give 30% as a tithe.

Why not? Because tithe was 10%. That's what tithe means... a tenth.

The Church was never commanded to tithe. We are, however, instructed to give.

You cannot produce one iota Scripture from the Holy Bible that tells Gentile Believers in Christ to tithe their money to the Church... not one! Nor can you produce a Scripture that tells Jews to tithe money to the Temple.

As long as you teach for doctrine the commandments of man, (the monetary tithe) your worship is in vain. (see Matthew 15:9)

It's just not there, no matter how many times you insist it is.

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 9:35pm On Feb 25, 2015
robosky02:

1. Tithing – Precede the Old Testament.

While most people say tithe is an old testament practice I wish to point out that the tithing was instituted long before the Old Testament started.
Abraham was the first man to give tithe long before Moses came with the LAW.

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having nither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually. Hebrews 7:1-3
Abram did tithe to Melchizedek.

However, you failed to tell the readers some important details about that event.

a) They were not Abram's household income, they were the spoils of war.
Hebrews 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

b) Abram promised God he would not take any of the spoils as his own property.

Genesis 14:22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
Genesis 14:23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:

C). Abram's account in Genesis 14 is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Therefore, we can only conclude that what Abram tithed was not his own property, but rather it was the property of Bera, the king of Sodom.

2. Jesus did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

The Fulfillment of the Law MATTHEW 5:17
17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

We are under grace but not at liberty to break the law. Or else adultery, stealing, killing will not be a sin in the New Testament since it was in the old testament law.

When Jesus meet the Pharisees he didn’t say don’t pay tithe rather he said this ye ought to do as much as……..
"Ye pay tithe…:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23).

Let's look at Matthew 23:23 in its entirety instead of the prooftexting that you have demonstrated, shall we?

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

First off, who was Jesus speaking to? He was speaking to the scribes and Pharisees in Israel.

Second, why was Jesus telling them to tithe? Because, as children of Israel they were required by Law to tithe. (see Leviticus 27:30-33)
Jesus could not have told them not to tithe. The Law was still in effect. Had Jesus told them not to tithe, He would have been going against His Father's will. The children of Israel were required by the Mosaic Law to tithe.

Third, what were the Pharisees tithing? Jesus said it was mint, anise and cummin... agricultural produce. They were tithing exactly what the Law required. No wonder Jesus said it should be done... the Law said it had to be done.

3. Salvation is a free gift; but the blessings of God are based on conditions.

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Your interpretation of this scripture is poor. Let me lay a foundation

a) Note God has declared that he would bless Abraham and his seed thus establishing the ABRAHAMIC COVENANT.

“And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." Gen 12:2-3

I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, gen 26: 4

b) We (The gentiles) were never part of that covenant and could not access it

Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." Gal 3:8

c) But when Jesus came he break the curse and became the link by which the Abrahamic covenant came come to the gentiles.

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[h]), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.Gal 3:13
What Jesus did on the cross he BROKE the curse of the law and entitled us the gentile to access The ABRAHAMIC COVENANT (the blessings)

The only condition for our blessings from God are contingent upon our faith, not obedience to the man-made doctrine of the monetary tithe requirement.

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Notice that word "freely"? It doesn't mean you have to tithe to get the blessings. We receive those blessings because of our faith in Christ Jesus.

4. Now the blessing of God is conditional:

It is based on your willingness and obedience. And I still repeat it paying tithe is not a force (so you can choose to keep your money heaven will NEVER go bankrupt because YOU didn’t give).
But if you want to walk in the blessing OBEDIENCE is the key.

19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19-20
If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures. Job 36:11

Again, you run back to the Old Testament to prove your unScriptural monetary tithe doctrine. You say tithing started before the Old Testament Law, yet you, like all others of the false doctrine of the monetary tithe requirement, ultimately run back to a people under the Law to prove that which is not Law?

RoFL

1 Like

Re: Nine Reasons Why You Should Tithe by MarkMiwerds(m): 2:48am On Nov 05, 2018
What do you understand by the phrase, as quoted above by Mark miwerds, Gal 3:13: Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law?

I believe the context of Galatians 3 reveals that those who are saved are not subject to the penalties of the Law that were imposed upon unsaved Jews who transgressed the Law.

Since Luke 16:16 says that "the Law was until John," and the Law was given for the children of Israel to observe once they entered the land of Canaan, (Deuteronomy 6:1-3; 12:1,10-11) Malachi could only have been speaking of the tithe required by Law. That tithe, according to Leviticus 27:30-33, was agricultural.

There is no record of anyone giving a tenth of their monetary wages to the House of God.

There is no record in the Bible of anyone giving a tenth of their monetary income to the New Testament Church.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? / Experts In Nigeria Agrees That Covid 19 Is Fiasco / Body And Soul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.