Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (987 Views)

7 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop. / Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop / 7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by vjsmiles: 11:26am On Feb 15, 2015
[quote][b] Laptops, also known as notebooks, are versatile, portable, come in a range of sizes and boast different levels of features. So, how do you find the laptop that's right for your needs?

CONSIDER THE SIZE OF YOUR LAPTOP
How often are you likely to be carrying your laptop? Are you after a notebook to play games and run graphics-intensive programs like photo editing software? Generally speaking, laptops with more features are less portable.

Lightweight and ultra-portable notebooks are a great option for people like students who need to carry them everywhere, as they range from under 2kg up to 4kg
Midsize and desktop-replacement laptops offer more features and are better suited to gaming and graphics-intensive programs like video and photo editing. They range from around 3kg to 5kg.

THE BRAIN SPEED
Processors are often referred to as the "brains" of a laptop because they determine how fast your computer functions. The speed of the processor is measured in GHz (gigahertz). It's always safest to go with the fastest you can afford.

THE RAM
RAM (Random Access Memory) helps your processor perform tasks by acting as a temporary storage point.

In short, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can keep open at once, and the faster your computer will go.

THE HARD DRIVE

The hard drive is where your computer stores your files. Storage capacity is measured in gigabytes (GB)

The more GB, the more files you can fit. If you want to store large files like high-quality photos, movies or music you should aim for a range between 500GB and 3TB
A laptop used solely for Internet, email and minimal image storage should get away with 250GB or less

HOW LONG DOES THE BATTERY LAST?
Typical laptop battery life is between three to five hours. If you're travelling and away from a power source for extended periods of time, then consider laptop computers with a battery life of over five hours.

CONNECTING YOUR LAPTOP TO OTHER DEVICES
Consider the devices that you want to connect your laptop to. Multiple USB ports are necessities for iPods, digital cameras and external hard drives; also look for FireWire ports.

For connecting to monitors and projectors, look for a VGA connection at minimum. Aim for a DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort as well
Integrated wireless networking (Wi-Fi) will allow you to connect to a range of different networks without needing any wires or cords
THE USABILITY" FACTORS
Laptops usually come with a pointing stick or a touch pad instead of a mouse. Make sure that you're comfortable using them
Also check that the layout and size of the keyboard is easy to use, and that the screen size suits your needs
If you're planning on working outside, check that there is a matte screen option to reduce glare
If you are switching from PC to Apple, or vice versa, it's important to note that Apple products have different shortcuts and a different look and feel to using them. However, making the switch either way is quite easy.

hope this helps smiley

ዘءppy sunday.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 15, 2015
aesthetics/build
usage temperature and fan noise.
screen size and resolution.
presence or absence of optical drive
type of primary storage(HDD/SSD)
etc
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by phemmy88(m): 5:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
Just bought me an HP (dv4) pavilion Entertainment PC.....me likey likely kiss
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by englishmart(m): 5:55am On Feb 16, 2015
one of my gfs bought me a laptop for valentine.... That's to say I have two laptops now....
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ganex: 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
what spec of used toshiba or dell laptop can i get for 30k because am in need of one now.
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Ivorybaby(f): 11:39am On Feb 16, 2015
englishmart:
one of my gfs bought me a laptop for valentine.... That's to say I have two laptops now....
is that the laptop @..... You know what I mean cool
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by englishmart(m): 1:35pm On Feb 16, 2015
Ivorybaby:
is that the laptop @..... You know what I mean cool
lol. If I hear! Babe fit buy me that kain laptop? grin
Re: Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by abangaLEE(f): 1:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
Getting and apple laptop soonest

(1) (Reply)

When Water Pours On Yr Mouse On Yr Laptop / Want To Get A Gud Laptop Help / Help...pls How Do I Format My Windows 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.