Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,784 members, 7,806,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (71943 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by marvelito: 8:03am On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
is those who dont know the Itsekiri people will say nonsense, they are trying to impose olu of sapele in sapele bcus there is no king in sapele,there are still trying to impose olu of oghara kingdom all bcus ibori took them as brothers and gave them land, maybe in 10yrs time, we will be hearing itsekiri owns oghara kingdom. u can't work in a company in an itsekiri land without changing ur name to an itsekiri name
its true wot u r saying abt itsekiris. But etchemita orefe d 2nd is urhoubo.and frm oghara. Are u frm oghara? Wel i am nd am typing frm dia nw.u can ask me 4 clarity. If dia was anywhere itsekiris try to claim was ajagbodudu.but oghareki youth fought them merciless that they had to shut their mouth. Sapele has a king o. Oroje of okpe. Diz itsekiris aint loyal at all. They even try to claim ologbo some yrs ago jst because they hv bin living dia 4 decade and has lots of populatn dia. Oba of benin had to send a warning to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by marvelito: 8:09am On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
is those who dont know the Itsekiri people will say nonsense, they are trying to impose olu of sapele in sapele bcus there is no king in sapele,there are still trying to impose olu of oghara kingdom all bcus ibori took them as brothers and gave them land, maybe in 10yrs time, we will be hearing itsekiri owns oghara kingdom. u can't work in a company in an itsekiri land without changing ur name to an itsekiri name
sapele has a king kald oroje of okpe.he d most influential monarch in delta state. The king in oghara is purely urhoubo. I knw him very wel cos am frm dia. U nid clarificatn u can ask me
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Onegai(f): 8:13am On Feb 16, 2015
babyosisi:
Who cares?
When did their little warri ownership problem become a national discus?
Any land you own belongs to you and your family,whether you are ijaw itshekiri or Urhobo because all three groups own the place.
If they are unable to live in peace,Let them delete themselves if they like,Igbos will take over grin

NEVER!!! The only thing that unites Deltans is the word "Igbo" grin they used to use Igbo people to threaten us as kids "if you don't go home during holidays, Igbo people will take over, if you don't learn to speak your language, people will assume you're Igbo, if you're not careful, you will marry Igbo".

Nigeria is very conflicted, we really cannot set aside inter-tribal differences, the only way to do so is to ban centuries of culture and language. Which would be an awful thing to do.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jeevyww(m): 8:21am On Feb 16, 2015
Op from your post I can clearly tell you are Itsekiri,well its good to know your history but its a shame you know only part or maybe what you have been told or read online..let me break it down..PA Alfred Rewane wrote that according to the Benin historian Jacob Egharevba, the Benin crown prince Iginiwa,who later became Ginuwa 1 Olu of Warri,was mandated by his father oba olua (in 1473) the oba of Benin to go and found a kingdom in and reign over the Riverine areas,Hence,the Olu is called,Ogiame,which in Edo means "The king who Reigns over riversland".Ginuwa 1 founded the warri kingdom in 1480".
THE IJAW VERSION OF THE HISTORY OF ITSEKIRI
In 1475 Olua was king of Benin and his sons where Ginuwa and Ozolua,Ginuwa was outsmarted by his brother and driven out of the kingdom...Benin Historical Records according to MR Talbot
Ginuwa and seventy followers where put in a canoe and st towards the ijaw domain they sailed to the west Atlantic and finally into the Estuary of the River dodo where they were intercepted by Iduwini(ijaws) fishermen they had camwood(isele in ijaw) pasting all over them the ijaws called them Iselemotu (people coated with camwood paste) and they(Itsekiri) are still called that till today

THE CHANGE OF THE THE OLU OF ITSEKIRI to OLU OF WARRI
After the blody riots in warri of 1952 a 9ommision was set up by the late Awolowo in Ibadan and funny only the urhobos and Itsekiri were invited,to show how long the Ijaw man has been marginalized,Alfred Rewane in his book "The link with the past" wrote that through the suggestions of chief Okorodudu,the warri province would be changed to Warri and that the tittle Olu of Itsekiri would become Olu of warri,both the Urhobo and Government delegation accepted and it has remained till this day

Dom Domingos
It is not far from the truth that Itsekiri women can be loose,and this was affirmed by women of Itskiri stock milandiring with portuguese traders,they unlike the ijaws and urhobos who at that time saw it as an abormination to marry outside from their tribe,had affairs with these traders and the result where children of mixed stock known as mullatos,Dom Domingos(Eyeomason Atoangboye) he returned from portugal and was installed as king (Atuwatse) in 1625

In conclusion it is a known fact that the Area known as warri today is originally owned by the Urobos who where farmers and stayed hinther lands and the Ijaws who where fishermen and lived to the coast,I say it with all sense of Confidence cos I have done years of research on this topic and time and space won't let me on this forum but the Itshekiri were visitors to these lands and the Urobos and Ijaws welcomed them with open hands,the Ijaws have always been people who were timid and hardly mixed with the outside world things that still affect them today,the Itsekiri were open to Education vis avis their relationship with the Portuguese this made them enlightened and made them Educated people hence it was to their advantage has they started having people in power and government,these were the issues that led to the warri crisis in 97/98 but all said,we have come to live together in one state and I believe God placed us together for a purpose

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by AmazingDude(m): 8:28am On Feb 16, 2015
Onegai:

Errr, I'd have thought Bini would be the 4th, but I do know Urhobo is bigger than Ijaw. I'm from Delta, the number of places that are Urhobo-speaking surpass my language's spread and I am yet to meet several Ijaw people (because they're spread over Coastal areas in 2/3 states doesn't make it a large population).

Reason it out: when people are asking about the main tribe of Delta or language, which language do they refer to? Urhobo

Not Ika, not Ijaw, not Itsekiri (all my Itsekiri friends speak Yoruba sef), not Kwale, not Ibo (though Igbo people keep trying to claim Delta by force). It's Urhobo.
Are you talking about Ijaws in Delta or Ijaws in Nigeria? If it's Nigeria then you're not only wrong but myopic in your thinking. How many local government has Urhobo in Delta? Less than 12. Ijaws have three in Delta, they own bayelsa, own one or two LGA in ondo, they own other LGAS in Rivers too. Check Google in case you don't know don't quote me to say rubbish. Mind you ijaws are over 10 million or there about.

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by buJu234: 8:49am On Feb 16, 2015
from my understanding being a guy that was born in warri; schooled (primary & secondary) in warri b4 jetting out...

I think the land belong to the 3 tribes.

I think that; while the Ijaw were growing from the deep water side; the Itsekiris were developing from the Shores of the land; while the Urhobos were developing from the main land.

so a time came wen all of them finally met at the center of warri which is around Okere mkt(Urhobo side); Makaiva mkt(Ijaw side);kpessu mkt (Itsekiri side)

And they all lived in peace together for yrs and even inter-married.

if not for greed; divide and rule system & politics; I think they should jst relax and leave together.

b4 i left warri in the 90s... during the warri - war times..

an Itsekiri man doesnt feel safe in the warri main land (Okumagba lay-out; Enerhere junctn;Marine gates; Igudu mkt axis; Airport rd towards effurun side etc) only around the coaster side (Ajamogha; Ubeji; eguredu Itsekiri; and some part of NPA)

while an Ijaw/Urhobo man doesnt feel safe Ajamogha;Ubeji;eguredu Itsekiri; GRA.

The center that their ancestors met became the war front places like Okere mkt(Urhobo side); Makaiva mkt(Ijaw side);kpessu mkt (Itsekiri side).

Please i havent heard of Itsekiri boy; Ijaw boy or Urhobo boy BUT wat u heard is Original WARRI BOY irrespective of tribe... that says it all...

Peaceful co-existence

3 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

But itshekiri owns warri i think and experienced
Lived in that town
yea, they own the mushroom areas.....not the Metropolis

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 9:02am On Feb 16, 2015
ALKARULEZZ:
yea, they own the mushroom areas.....not the Metropolis

ok ..thanks for the clarification

But where are the mushroom places
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 9:15am On Feb 16, 2015
Onegai:

Errr, I'd have thought Bini would be the 4th, but I do know Urhobo is bigger than Ijaw. I'm from Delta, the number of places that are Urhobo-speaking surpass my language's spread and I am yet to meet several Ijaw people (because they're spread over Coastal areas in 2/3 states doesn't make it a large population).

Reason it out: when people are asking about the main tribe of Delta or language, which language do they refer to? Urhobo

Not Ika, not Ijaw, not Itsekiri (all my Itsekiri friends speak Yoruba sef), not Kwale, not Ibo (though Igbo people keep trying to claim Delta by force). It's Urhobo.

Why do you want to derail this brautiful thread. I learnt where somebody said that the only thing that unite warri is igbo. I laogh and i wonder how people can be so fearful of igbo

I lived in warri around post office ...okere road and worshiped at ckc

Now for the sake of clarifaction ..IGBO IS NOT CLAIMING DELTA WHAT IGBO SAID THAT DELTA NORTH ARE IGBO PLACES FROM UKWUANI TO AGBOR VIA ASABA TO WHOLE NDOKWA

igbo is not interested who owns warri but igbo will be interested when their brothers in delta north are hurt ...

Now pls don't derail this thread and don't bring igbo here

DON'T DERAIL THIS THREAD

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 9:18am On Feb 16, 2015
buJu234:
from my understanding being a guy that was born in warri; schooled (primary & secondary) in warri b4 jetting out...

I think the land belong to the 3 tribes.

I think that; while the Ijaw were growing from the deep water side; the Itsekiris were developing from the Shores of the land; while the Urhobos were developing from the main land.

so a time came wen all of them finally met at the center of warri which is around Okere mkt(Urhobo side); Makaiva mkt(Ijaw side);kpessu mkt (Itsekiri side)

And they all lived in peace together for yrs and even inter-married.

if not for greed; divide and rule system & politics; I think they should jst relax and leave together.

b4 i left warri in the 90s... during the warri - war times..

an Itsekiri man doesnt feel safe in the warri main land (Okumagba lay-out; Enerhere junctn;Marine gates; Igudu mkt axis; Airport rd towards effurun side etc) only around the coaster side (Ajamogha; Ubeji; eguredu Itsekiri; and some part of NPA)

while an Ijaw/Urhobo man doesnt feel safe Ajamogha;Ubeji;eguredu Itsekiri; GRA.

The center that their ancestors met became the war front places like Okere mkt(Urhobo side); Makaiva mkt(Ijaw side);kpessu mkt (Itsekiri side).

Please i havent heard of Itsekiri boy; Ijaw boy or Urhobo boy BUT wat u heard is Original WARRI BOY irrespective of tribe... that says it all...

Peaceful co-existence

TYANKS FOR THIS CLARIFICATION.I NEV3R KNEW THIS . NOW WHAT ABOUT GARAGE AT SAPELE ROAD...IS THAT AN IJAW OR ITSHEKIRI DOMAIN DOWN TO GKS

WHAT ABOUT EKPAN THE REFINARY AREAS ALSO?

I LOVE YOUR POST

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Onegai(f): 9:38am On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

Why do you want to derail this brautiful thread. I learnt where somebody said that the only thing that unite warri is igbo. I laogh and i wonder how people can be so fearful of igbo

I lived in warri around post office ...okere road and worshiped at ckc

Now for the sake of clarifaction ..IGBO IS NOT CLAIMING DELTA WHAT IGBO SAID THAT DELTA NORTH ARE IGBO PLACES FROM UKWUANI TO AGBOR VIA ASABA TO WHOLE NDOKWA

igbo is not interested who owns warri but igbo will be interested when their brothers in delta north are hurt ...

Now pls don't derail this thread and don't bring igbo here

DON'T DERAIL THIS THREAD

Lol, I'm from one of the places in Delta you just mentioned. I assure you, we are not asking for any Igbo help, nor do we have Igno brothers over the River Niger.
I don't know any Agbor or Ukwani person that will say "yep I'm Igbo". It's so bad that someone was at funeral of an Agbor man and started playing Igbo christian music. His kids rushed to to remove the tape and threw it at his head. Even my nephews are being taught not to marry anything after the Niger river. So please, do not be concerned about us. We thank you for the thought, but don't go to those areas and say "your Igbo brothers are concerned about your welfare", I don't know you but 2015 is not your time to transcend this Earth grin say amen. It's so bad that I once attended mass in Agbor (went there for something) and during the sermon the Rev Fr preached in English, then switched to Igbo. People actually got up and walked out during the sermon, to show their displeasure. That was when I realised how deep their emotions were.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by buJu234: 9:43am On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

TYANKS FOR THIS CLARIFICATION.I NEV3R KNEW THIS . NOW WHAT ABOUT GARAGE AT SAPELE ROAD...IS THAT AN IJAW OR ITSHEKIRI DOMAIN DOWN TO GKS

WHAT ABOUT EKPAN THE REFINARY AREAS ALSO?

I LOVE YOUR POST

U re welcome...

from my understanding... If u re talking abt Garage Opp. Cementary road; then I have to break it down alittle bit..

from Garage towards cemetary road upward to stadium via some part of Iyara to kpessu river fully belong to Itsekiri (u will find a large no. of their population there) while from Garage to Igbudu mkt to GKS to MC demort rd belong to Agbassa Urhobo clan.

Ekpan Refinery belong to Uwie/Effurun (aka I go die community.. grin grin grin) while the back of the refinery which is Ubeji it belong to Itsekiri.

For the Ijaws theirs is mainly the deep waters/swamp communities of warri.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 16, 2015
barcanista:
On the contrary I don't hate Jonathan. I'm only disappointed in him

It's okay. I also have been disappointed in him severally in the past, considering what good governance should be and what we're getting from him. It's only that I've refused to accept APC and their candidates as our saving grace, seeing that they have the same ideologies as PDP and GEJ. It's well.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by fred06: 9:50am On Feb 16, 2015
Warri belongs to the itsekiris...there have been ijaw and urhobo settlements there in warri..but that does not make them owners...
no supreme court have stated that urhobo owns warri... the matter in court as at that time in the 70s was between the olu of warri and the ighogbadu,olodi and Oki families in respect of a land which today is the okumagba avenue areas in warri....which the families won but mind you the Oki family in that case were itsekiris ...
the okere urhobo we hear today is a name given recently by the okumagba family which are descendants of the families mentioned above....their original home town is Agbara otor near ughelli area..they migrated to settle in that area there...
the ijaws on their own part migrated from the middleeast as I research in one land case between the itsekiris and ijaws which the itsekiris won them in the supreme court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 10:14am On Feb 16, 2015
Onegai:

Lol, I'm from one of the places in Delta you just mentioned. I assure you, we are not asking for any Igbo help, nor do we have Igno brothers over the River Niger.
I don't know any Agbor or Ukwani person that will say "yep I'm Igbo". It's so bad that someone was at funeral of an Agbor man and started playing Igbo christian music. His kids rushed to to remove the tape and threw it at his head. Even my nephews are being taught not to marry anything after the Niger river. So please, do not be concerned about us. We thank you for the thought, but don't go to those areas and say "your Igbo brothers are concerned about your welfare", I don't know you but 2015 is not your time to transcend this Earth grin say amen. It's so bad that I once attended mass in Agbor (went there for something) and during the sermon the Rev Fr preached in English, then switched to Igbo. People actually got up and walked out during the sermon, to show their displeasure. That was when I realised how deep their emotions were.

Na so delta state be? shocked
See too much diversity is not good for a country

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 10:17am On Feb 16, 2015
buJu234:

U re welcome...

from my understanding... If u re talking abt Garage Opp. Cementary road; then I have to break it down alittle bit..

from Garage towards cemetary road upward to stadium via some part of Iyara to kpessu river fully belong to Itsekiri (u will find a large no. of their population there) while from Garage to Igbudu mkt to GKS to MC demort rd belong to Agbassa Urhobo clan.

Ekpan Refinery belong to Uwie/Effurun (aka I go die community.. grin grin grin) while the back of the refinery which is Ubeji it belong to Itsekiri.

Now I am begining to respect your sense of geography and analogy. you made me to understand these places very well and who owns them. I know the contention is boundary

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 10:25am On Feb 16, 2015
Onegai:

one of those places is no places, look at how itshekiri and urhobo are proudly representing here and you are saying you are from one of those places. i mentioned many places and where are you from, be confident and stop having inferiority complex. for your information i am married to ukwuani woman and she is pure igbo and see herself as one and i lived in warri so i am apt with delta.

My dear if your name is Ngozi, Ebele, Nkechi, Emeka, Ossai, Obinna, Olisa your simply igbo or you have igbo origin same as if your name is muhammed, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Idris yoyr simply muslim or you have muslim origin same is if your name is Femi, Kemi, Taye, Ibikinle your simply yoruba or have yoruba origin. If your name is Tony, Christopher, John, Mark etc your simply christian or have christian origin

So what is your name
where are you from
what language do you speak
why do you have identity complex or issues?(Not Insult)
Do you know that delta is not a tribe but a state?

please answer this question and I will not want us to derail this beautiful thread. I am warning you.

I am learning so much here and can you open up a thread and lets discuss this, then you can invite us to debate on your quagmire and identity cross roads, but let us not derail this thread.

can you please answer those questions i posted
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by macof(m): 10:26am On Feb 16, 2015
Onegai:

NEVER!!! The only thing that unites Deltans is the word "Igbo" grin they used to use Igbo people to threaten us as kids "if you don't go home during holidays, Igbo people will take over, if you don't learn to speak your language, people will assume you're Igbo, if you're not careful, you will marry Igbo".

Nigeria is very conflicted, we really cannot set aside inter-tribal differences, the only way to do so is to ban centuries of culture and language. Which would be an awful thing to do.

Which is why it's better for conflicting parties to mind their business and manage what they have in their land.
I blame the British, because jst like Nigeria at large, they jst packaged warri as one town without trying to know if there were different tribes having their own villages

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by tonychristopher: 10:36am On Feb 16, 2015
buJu234:

U re welcome...

from your analogy it then means that ijaw are littoral in nature, now the case of sapele, there has been itshekiri incursion or ownership also. I left warri due to crisis, i enjoyed that place, the sweet flowing pidgin and from my own understanding I think warri is 50% urhobo while itshekirin is 30% while 20% is more of ijaw

I know itshekiri and Ijaw are migrants especially theGINUWA movement from benin and yoruba places so that made it a fact and it also means that their must be aborigenes in warri axis which i am begining to think are the sobos ( urhobo-isoko) people cos i personally see them as one. Now if it is so, did urhobos migrate from anywhere. we will want to ascertain the aborigines and original owners of warri before the wave of benin migration

I know that the original owners of land is those that langauage is dominant in the land apart from colonisation. I will want to assume and i know that warri pidgin has urhobo accented heavily in it like it sing song flow of pidgin(I LOVE THAT) Which is naturally urhobo way of speaking and migwo language everywhere in warri

NOW THE QUESTION IS DID URHOBO MIGRATE AND IF THEY DID, WHEM WHOM DID THEY MET AT THE ORIGINAL PLACE. We cant divorce migrtion, like the benin wave of migration in northern delta and they met aborigenes like the ika igbo and ukwuani igbo, which influenced the few benin migrants in delta north making them speak igbo so i believe the same thing with itshekiri peeps from yoruba and benin land migrating to warri making them to speak an edoid-yoruba language

THE QUESTION IS WHO WERE THE ORIGINAL AND ABORIGINAL OWNERS.

Do we have any archaeological evidence to support this ownership?

I am enjoying your submission, your intelligent and your post is very vivid and analytical.

please answer me....
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Onegai(f): 10:42am On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

one of those places is no places, look at how itshekiri and urhobo are proudly representing here and you are saying you are from one of those places. i mentioned many places and where are you from, be confident and stop having inferiority complex. for your information i am married to ukwuani woman and she is pure igbo and see herself as one and i lived in warri so i am apt with delta.

My dear if your name is Ngozi, Ebele, Nkechi, Emeka, Ossai, Obinna, Olisa your simply igbo or you have igbo origin same as if your name is muhammed, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Idris yoyr simply muslim or you have muslim origin same is if your name is Femi, Kemi, Taye, Ibikinle your simply yoruba or have yoruba origin. If your name is Tony, Christopher, John, Mark etc your simply christian or have christian origin

So what is your name
where are you from
what language do you speak
why do you have identity complex or issues?(Not Insult)
Do you know that delta is not a tribe but a state?

please answer this question and I will not want us to derail this beautiful thread. I am warning you.

I am learning so much here and can you open up a thread and lets discuss this, then you can invite us to debate on your quagmire and identity cross roads, but let us not derail this thread.

can you please answer those questions i posted

You have insulted me and are demanding answers from me.this is the reason I limit my conversation to certain people on NL. Good day to you.

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Onegai(f): 10:53am On Feb 16, 2015
macof:

Na so delta state be? shocked
See too much diversity is not good for a country

My hubby is also from Delta. We used to say 30 mins okada is a new language. It causes so much wahala over resource allocation and growth of the state, you cannot develop one place without being accused of marginalising another. And Nigerians are not trained to be tolerant people.

I'll never forget people asking me "so why did you come back" after pitching an industrial idea that would have really helped Delta state. As if I didn't belong there, as if my father didn't leave me land there, as if that was my first time seeing the place. Nigerians like to use their mouth and ego to kill any goo idea that will not cause division.
I went from wanting to develop my state as a youth, to wanting to develop my country, now I too have joined those who will pack their kids abroad and ask them to grow an develop there. Let me leave Nigerians to themselves.

Warri has always had this wahala, my hubby grew up there, his father is well-known there and when I told him about this thread, he said "Leave them and focus on things that are profitable to your intellect and give enlightenment to you"

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by HopeAtHand: 11:28am On Feb 16, 2015
ALKARULEZZ:
WARRI minus URHOBO COMMUNITIES equals SWAMPS/FORESTS

DELTA minus URHOBO TOWNS equals one of those less developed states lyk Ekiti, Ondo etc grin

Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun - Urhobo Land
Delta State University, Abraka - Urhobo Land
Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun - Urhobo Land
Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara - Urhobo Land
Western Delta University, Oghara - Urhobo Land
Golden Tulip - Effurun - Urhobo Land

The list is endless abeg

Long Live Urhobo Kingdom

So Urhobo are the Ikwerre of Delta state..nice
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by buJu234: 11:36am On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

from your analogy it then means that ijaw are littoral in nature, now the case of sapele, there has been itshekiri incursion or ownership also. I left warri due to crisis, i enjoyed that place, the sweet flowing pidgin and from my own understanding I think warri is 50% urhobo while itshekirin is 30% while 20% is more of ijaw

I know itshekiri and Ijaw are migrants especially theGINUWA movement from benin and yoruba places so that made it a fact and it also means that their must be aborigenes in warri axis which i am begining to think are the sobos ( urhobo-isoko) people cos i personally see them as one. Now if it is so, did urhobos migrate from anywhere. we will want to ascertain the aborigines and original owners of warri before the wave of benin migration

I know that the original owners of land is those that langauage is dominant in the land apart from colonisation. I will want to assume and i know that warri pidgin has urhobo accented heavily in it like it sing song flow of pidgin(I LOVE THAT) Which is naturally urhobo way of speaking and migwo language everywhere in warri

NOW THE QUESTION IS DID URHOBO MIGRATE AND IF THEY DID, WHEM WHOM DID THEY MET AT THE ORIGINAL PLACE. We cant divorce migrtion, like the benin wave of migration in northern delta and they met aborigenes like the ika igbo and ukwuani igbo, which influenced the few benin migrants in delta north making them speak igbo so i believe the same thing with itshekiri peeps from yoruba and benin land migrating to warri making them to speak an edoid-yoruba language

THE QUESTION IS WHO WERE THE ORIGINAL AND ABORIGINAL OWNERS.

Do we have any archaeological evidence to support this ownership?

I am enjoying your submission, your intelligent and your post is very vivid and analytical.

please answer me....

@ tonychristopher;

I will try my best not to be biased to any of the 3 tribes...

like i said I think both Ijaw; Itsekiri & Urhobo are original owners of warri because warri itself is a combination of Lands that belong to these tribes and development has joined all of them together. They all migrated from different places like the Old Benin Kingdoms etc as other tribes in Africa

but the difference came via westernization... the Itsekiri embrace the White men and they were also the first to accept western education followed by the Urhobos; the Ijaws jst started seeing western education a few decades ago.

and u knw that according to the British; any tribe that embrace their ways of life easily will automatically b favoured above the others.

so this was where the crises came from; the Itsekiris dominated warri for years from governance to education (i still remember taking Itsekiri subject in secondary school) but the worst was the change of OLU of Ode-Itsekiri to OLU of warri... by Awo; and the Warri South West LGA HQ...

My conclusion is that warri is a combination of Lands belonging to immigrants that came from Ode-Itsekiri aka big warri (Itsekiri); Agbaro-otor(Urhobo); Gbamaduru/ or somewhere in the deep waters or swamp (Ijaws) after the left their Original kingdoms like the Benin Kingdom

As per Sapele (aka SAFI); that one is purely an Okpe Kingdom... under the Oroje of Okpe.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by sani99: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2015
We the Isokos refer to Warri as IJALA. We all know that the Itseke as foundly called has linguistic affeliation to the Yorubas and so,its was Easy for Pa Awo to change the Olu of Itsekiri to Olu of Warri to give the Monach and overbearing influence in the area,Names like Ayo,Femi,Omawumi, etc are dominant in Warri.
The true reality is that 2 other Tribes co habit this Land (WARRI) we must continue to live together in peace.GAS empire to be sited in the area is being a subject of controversy due to bad blood..WARRI is the Commercial centre of Deltal State,we have as much Isokos,ibos,yorubas,hausa,Binis etc in Warri,Therefore the status of ' NO MANS LAND' is better to avoid crisis,we know the original inhabitants are fishing communities of Itsekiri,Izons,and Urhobo....PEACE will reign if we think along this thought... AREA!

1 Like

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Evestar200(f): 12:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
tonychristopher:

Are they this bad

O explain
ask those who work in escravos, they will tell u
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Evestar200(f): 12:24pm On Feb 16, 2015
marvelito:
sapele has a king kald oroje of okpe.he d most influential monarch in delta state. The king in oghara is purely urhoubo. I knw him very wel cos am frm dia. U nid clarificatn u can ask me
the king doesn't live in sapele, the king lives in orere- okpe in okpe local government, he is the king of the 2 local governments ,that's why the itsekiri want to impose olu of sapele,bcus the king name is orodje of okpe not sapele
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Evestar200(f): 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
ferdybillion:
my dear u know nothing at all, if u don't have anything to say stfu......
you are the ones that doesn't know ntn so stfu
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by rule(m): 12:41pm On Feb 16, 2015
this girl can lie
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by rule(m): 12:42pm On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
you are the ones that doesn't know ntn so stfu
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by Evestar200(f): 12:45pm On Feb 16, 2015
someone said itsekiri that is around 500.000 people are 1.5 millions, is he counting the fishes in their river among the the ,itsekiri people, even the main population of the 3 LGA is not up to that amount bcus 60% of Warri land mass is swamp and river,and also Warri city stadium is in igbudu community of agbassa kingdom.
Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by rule(m): 1:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
Evestar200:
evilstar200 your hatred for the itsekiris is worst than the hatred adolf hitler and idi amin had for the jews.you only comment on issues that concerns the itsekirs in the entire nairaland forum, romance section you are not there, politics even family section you are no where to be found but itsekiris matter you would the first to spit falsehood and bile about my folks.but funny enough your fellow uhrobo sisters are wishing and praying to marry an itsekiri man.fine you no fine, wetin itsekiri people do u?

2 Likes

Re: Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. by jared007: 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
buJu234:

U re welcome...

to correct some errors: garage down to stadium and environs belongs to agbassa-urhobo(igbudu) the itsekiris are settlers in odion(odion was originally owned by igbudu community) majority of iyara is owned by okere-urhobo. Igbudu community allowed the itsekiris to settle at merogun. Ubeji,ekpan and jeddo is not in warri town!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Ogun Lockdown: Masquerade Arrested, Cries After Ignoring Sit-At-Home Order / Oluwo Of Iwo And Queen Firdaus Step Out Together For The First Time (Pics) / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.