Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? (2881 Views)

How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days / What Are Your fears Of Getting Married Or Being Married? Singles ONLY / SMH!!! See What Women Has Turned Us ( Men) Into - Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2015
I'm creating this thread because of this thread. (See link below) A lot of comments shocked me, because majority were coming from people who consider themselves feminists. And some folks were hiding under "motherly instinct" to hide their prejudice. I have to say, it was like walking into Stormfront forum for the first time.

I don’t understand how women can expect their husbands to be hands-on parents if they don’t trust professional, trained caregivers just because they happen to be male? The media and society place so much pressure on girls to conform to typical 'gender roles,' that being exposed at an early age to both men and women who challenge the typical stereotypes is a good thing.

Lynn Perkins, the CEO of urban sitters made an article in huffington post highlighting the benefits of having a male child caregiver:
1.) It brings diversity to your child's life and allows you to do your part to break down gender biases.
It's wonderful to bring your kids new perspectives. Hiring only female sitters or kindergateen teachers implicitly tells children that it's women who are nurturing. Hiring a male sitter helps to show your kids that it's not just women who take care of children. Kids need to see men as loving, capable and responsible care givers as often as possible.
2.) It's an opportunity to provide your kids with a valuable male role model.
What kid couldn't use a fun-loving, warm, responsible male to look up to? Can they ever have too many solid role models?
3.) They bring a different style of play.
Gunter, a male babysitter in San Fransisco said, "After establishing myself as a babysitter in San Francisco, parents in the community quickly came to find out that their little son would prefer a 'big brother' figure any day over a female sitter. I can flatter a girl's world by playing prince/princess or entertain a little boy by wrestling for hours."

I really do hope that some of these women will reconsider and desist from such outrageous discrimination.

https://www.nairaland.com/1920015/having-being-male-nursery-teacher
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
Yes @ topic sad
I'll rather be safe than sorry lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Ewuro4: 8:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
That's a long thread ... Will read later

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by fuzzywuzzy: 8:39pm On Feb 15, 2015
Of course, everyday you see topics about men sleeping with any and everything, from mad women to their own daughters to babies and even animals, why won't women hide their kids from them?

I'm not taking any chances, I would rather hire a female than expose my innocent kids to someone from a gender of sex crazed maniacs just because I don't want to be sexist.

3 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
Eyah, good for them .
If they are looking for male figure, their papa dey dia.

Two grand papa .

No amount of justice can turn back the case of abuse.

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
fuzzywuzzy:
Of course, everyday you see topics about men sleeping with any and everything, from mad women to their own daughters to babies and even animals, why won't women hide their kids from them?

I'm not taking any chances, I would rather hire a female than expose my innocent kids to someone from a gender of sex crazed maniacs just because I don't want to be sexist.

cheesy grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by SAMBARRY: 8:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
alutacontinua:
Yes @ topic sad
I'll rather be safe than sorry lipsrsealed
Gbam

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Joel3(m): 8:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
the world is really changing. Things whole thing started with western influence. Wonder why many arab nation kick against westernizing their country.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
There is a simple way to explain majority of the opinions on that thread.

There are 2 ped*ophiles. One male, one female. You have to leave your child with one of them. Which would you pick?

Please pardon the highly disturbing hypothetical scenario. But I'm just trying to say that the issue is less about sexism but more about biology and potential for damage.

2 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Ewuro4: 9:26pm On Feb 15, 2015
Very disturbing scenario.. Why should I leave my kids with either? I wouldn't even need to choose to start with cause my expectations of all healthcare workers is to have undergone criminal and child abuse check to start with.

But I know one thing; No gender has a monopoly of doing evil. But that's just me.

Our upbringing, beliefs and outlook to life represents who we are. Life Experiences shapes us.

My kids go to Montessori immediately after 1st birthday and there're two male child educators always in that baby room and accepting babies at the door undecided I'm talking Professionals and well kept.. Aside the fact that there're cameras installed in every room which are assessible to parents within a click from work. I also have female nannies at home and watch them like a hawk too. undecided ( so whats the difference?)

I honestly don't have any problem with it. I was raised solely by a single dad and surrounded by brothers, had the best time of my life growing up.

Only heard of these numerous horror stories (pedo uncles & fathers) 30+years later on NL ( also in 'Precious' movie) . Not even in realm of real world. Never seen one with my korokoro eyes.

Sick world.

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by ireneidiva(f): 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
I just went through that thread and I'm slightly irritated. Do you guys even have any idea about how many guys were molested by their female housemaids How on earth will a guy molest your baby in a school? Except the place is very dark and locked or something. This generation is just a mess. Smh

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 15, 2015
Obviously, no one will leave their child with either. That goes without saying and I made it quite clear it's a very hypothetical scenario to illustrate a point.

The point is, both males and females can be abusers, but is there any reason why a parent would be more inclined to risk one more than the other especially when talking about young kids?

2 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by KanwuliaJara: 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2015
Nothing wrong with having male care givers!
We had MANY growing up.
Like the female ones, you keep a close eye on them ALWAYS!!!!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Ewuro4: 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2015
its an hypothesis because it's almost impossible to happen no? So what's the relevance?

Anyways, babies, toddlers or Tweens ... As already pointed out, our Experience shapes us; parents with disturbed background/ experience will have such notion against male childcare workers. Not judging them, that's just life.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
If possible, I won't leave my kids with any strangers until they can speak and until I can explain to them that nobody has the right to touch them in certain places. I am currently working at it.

The life-long effects of child abuse are horrible. Some people suffer for a lifetime.

I don't mind having males in pre-schools though. I think it is important kids also have male teachers, especially the boys.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
Hopefully those who have had disturbed and disruptive backgrounds can help you relate to such issues.

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Ewuro4: 10:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
Hopefully.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 15, 2015
Like I was saying.

ileobatojo:
But I'm just trying to say that the issue is less about sexism but more about biology and potential for damage.

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:
Like I was saying.

I wouldn't like to assume so please expatiate on what you mean by "........less about sexism but more about biology and potential for damage."
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
carefreewannabe:
If possible, I won't leave my kids with any strangers until they can speak and until I can explain to them that nobody has the right to touch them in certain places. I am currently working at it.

Interestingly, the U.S. stats show that the most sexxually abuse age group are the pre-teens.

But you're absolutely right, talking to kids repeatedly about their safety is a must do for parents.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

I wouldn't like to assume so please expatiate on what you mean by "........less about sexism but more about biology and potential for damage."

It is more physically damaging/traumatic to a child to be penetrated by a phallus than to be made to touch a vag*ina or kiss a boob.

2 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:

It is more physically damaging/traumatic to a child to be penetrated by a phallus than to be made to touch a vag*ina or kiss a boob.

http://www.leadershipcouncil.org/1/res/csa_myths.html

Read Myth 5 and the last paragraph under Myth 5.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

http://www.leadershipcouncil.org/1/res/csa_myths.html

Read Myth 5 and the last paragraph under Myth 5.

Precisely why I said damaging or traumatic.

Lack of physical evidence doesn't make it untraumatic.

2 Likes

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
fuzzywuzzy:

First of all, you're making a ridiculous assumption that only males are capable of pedophilia or child molestation.

I wonder how you would feel if a white person denies you a job because you're black. And then went on to say he would rather dismiss your credentials and judge you by a silly stereotype. Your beliefs already makes you sexist.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:

Precisely why I said damaging or traumatic.

Lack of physical evidence doesn't make it untraumatic.
Ile, I don't think you're thinking this through.

The moment you removed physical trauma from your post, you lost this argument because you cannot tell which is more traumatic than the other.

Only the victim that has experienced molestation from both genders can say that.

Maybe it's me, but I am totally missing your point.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Ile, I don't think you're thinking this through.

The moment you removed physical trauma from your post, you lost this argument because you cannot tell which is more traumatic than the other.

Only the victim that has experienced molestation from both genders can say that.

Maybe it's me, but I am totally missing your point.

It's not clear enough from my explanation that I'm talking physical trauma?

Scratch that. It's not clear enough from this?

ileobatojo:

When exactly did I remove physical trauma?

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:

It's not clear enough from my explanation that I'm talking physical trauma?

Scratch that. It's not clear enough from this?

Again, you're making the assumption that a male pedoph1le has to penetrate his victim for it to be considered r*ape or physically traumatic.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Again, you're making the assumption that a male pedophile has to penetrate his victim for it to be considered r*ape or physically traumatic.

Where?
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:

Where?

Then, what is your point Ile?

I seem to be making assumptions in order to understand what you're trying to prove but I clearly I'm not helping matters.

Since my link scratched physically damaging. Now, I'm simply going to ask you, how is one act of child molestation by a gender more physically traumatic than when done by another gender??
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Then, what is your point Ile?

I seem to be making assumptions in order to understand what you're trying to prove but I clearly I'm not helping matters.

Since my link scratched physically damaging. Now, I'm simply going to ask you, how is one act of child molestation by a gender more physically traumatic than when done by another gender??

How does your link scratch physically damaging or physically traumatic?

Majority of raped women have no physical signs of injury. Are you saying that automatically means it wasn't physically traumatic?

If someone punches you but it leaves no mark, it wasn't physically traumatic?

1 Like

Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by fuzzywuzzy: 11:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

First of all, you're making a ridiculous assumption that only males are capable of pedophilia or child molestation.
I wonder how you would feel if a white person denies you a job because you're black. And then went on to say he would rather dismiss your credentials and judge you by a silly stereotype. Your beliefs already makes you sexist.
That analogy does not hold water in the context of this conversation.
Males and females are biologically different. Different hormonal makeup, different physiology, different preferences, likes and dislikes.
Admitting this does not make one sexist.
Apart from the fact that men have a higher proclivity to commit sexual abuse (because of their higher libidos and greater sexual needs), women are in an overall better position to be caregivers because they are naturally more intuitive and emotionally sensitive to the needs of children.
Re: Have Our Fears Turned Us Into A Bunch Of Sexists? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
ileobatojo:

How does your link scratch physically damaging or physically traumatic?

Majority of raped women have no physical signs of injury. Are you saying that automatically means it wasn't physically traumatic?

If someone punches you but it leaves no mark, it wasn't physically traumatic?

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I said, not all male pedophiles penetrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember this??

Shollypopzz:

Again, you're making the assumption that a male pedoph1le has to penetrate his victim for it to be considered r*ape or physically traumatic.

If not penetration, what is a male pedophile doing differently from a female pedophile?? I'm going to assume this hypothetical female pedophile isn't fascinated with putting a d1ldo in the a*ss of a child.

Btw, my link does not scratch physical damage. It just shows that it is not actually as much of a problem. I specified the last paragraph for a purpose. It showcased a statistic of 5.5%

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The Maternity Photoshoot Pictures That Got The World Talking.....18+ / What Gender Do You Prefer Your Kids To Have? / Is It Wrong To Avoid Your Extended Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.