Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix (64375 Views)

Just Got Bitten By A Rodent / Bitten By Any Of These Beefore? See Photo. / What To Do When You Or Someone Gets Bitten By A Snake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
These are wounds from the leg of a fisherman brought to our clinic after engaging in a fight with a very big hippo. According to our patient, the hippo attacked and destroyed their boat. He engaged in a fight with the hippo for over 30 minutes b4 finally escaping.
I will upload pix of the wounds b4 and after surgery. The surgical procedure is called debridement (surgical removal of dead tissues and foreign bodies).

According to my chief consultant, a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake's bite.

Its not that the bite is poisonous by itself.

There are a gazillion different types of bacteria in the saliva of a hippo. Without proper attention, if they get into the human system they can quickly overwhelm the system just like any other parasite. Imagine several different types of bacteria invading the system. If the bite was poisonous this guy would be dead already, with this level of damage.

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 11:50am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
These are wounds from the leg of a fisherman brought to our clinic after engaging in a fight with a very big hippo. According to our patient, the hippo attacked and destroyed their boat. He engaged in a fight with the hippo for over 30 minutes b4 finally escaping.
I will upload pix of the wounds b4 and after surgery. The surgical procedure is called debridement (surgical removal of dead tissues and foreign bodies).

According to my chief consultant, a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake's bite.

Oga ooo! hippos no get venom o! who dey yan you this okpata?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 11:53am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
I tot the same thing my dear. I was shocked hearing 4rm d man, that he was biten by a Hippo. All my thought was that "Hippos are extinct" but they aint.

There is a hippo in Maiduguri's zoo, but not a big one though.

Lol... you guys should watch more of Natgeo wild. hippos are very much in existence.

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 11:54am On Feb 18, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:

Oga ooo! hippos no get venom o! who dey yan you this okpata?
no one is talking abt venom.. but the micro organisms in the hippos mouth.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 12:00pm On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
stay there

and hippos are herbivores, they can attack with their teeth but they dont chew meat
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
no one is talking abt venom.. but the micro organisms in the hippos mouth.
then you should have used the word "dangerous ", but mind you, hippos bite can never be more potent than that of a king kobra or black mamba snake. there are a lot of venomous snakes that kill you within minutes! so I don't know where that person got his info from.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 12:08pm On Feb 18, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:
then you should have used the word "dangerous ", but mind you, hippos bite can never be more potent than that of a king kobra or black mamba snake. there are a lot of venomous snakes that kill you within minutes! so I don't know where that person got his info from.
u are sleepy. Go and sleep first.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 12:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
UrennaNkoli:

But take am easy na...how can u say a hippos bite is poisonous ? Hippos are dangerous animals but their bites are not poisonous at all o. Remember there are health practitioners that may be lurking around this forum and you don't know who may just be laughing at ur comment now.

Hahahahah... like I just did. I don't know when hippos bite started being poisonous o! it has a great bite force for sure, something around 1821 pounds per square inch, that's enough to bite your arms off!
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by ckay2015: 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
You have committed an HIPPA offense by displaying the patient picture. Plz we need to be more careful about what we send out. This is a grave crime in developed nations.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
u are sleepy. Go and sleep first.

OK Mr doctor, I shall now leave you to your ignorance. HAhahahaha...
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:

OK Mr doctor, I shall now leave you to your ignorance. HAhahahaha...
I will appreciate dat
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:

and hippos are herbivores, they can attack with their teeth but they dont chew meat
yeah, dey dnt chew meat. They only bite u and leave u dere.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by maisalati11(m): 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
Na u dey do d surgery??
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Evina(f): 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Dexema:

Hello vinny,been a while.

smiley
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by A7(m): 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
berem:
Sorry fisherman,get well soon.

Hippos are villainous creatures, the one kept by one prominent Nigerian fisherman attacks a political gathering days ago.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Tinyemeka(m): 2:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
I hope so. We are facing difficulties managing him. We might probably amputate the leg.

So unfortunate.

Thought so, given the extent of the injury penetration.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by tpiah01: 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2015
maisalati11:
Na u dey do d surgery??

See the surroundings where im dey mention "chief consultant" sef.

Nlers and their "suspension of disbelief" chatter.

I just pity whoever is in that picture, how did he get those wounds.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Holythout(m): 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
This is strange embarassedThis is strange
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Holythout(m): 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
This is strange embarassed
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by eyinjuege: 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
holaab:
Did you as a nurse you were not meant to expose ur patient without his/consent. Or whr u not taught ethics and etiquette.

Sorry, what was the patient's name again? I didn't quite get it. angry angry
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by ISCSUS(f): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
[quote author=mormoni post=30777623]Dr. Lagusta, he was biten in Cameroon. But the clinic is in Yola,moreover its against medical ethics to upload such pic when d patient is not begging for help.d man feel sue you o
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by SenatorJames(m): 7:52pm On Feb 18, 2015
I thank God for the life of this man, its a rear grace he is not dead by now.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hippos are the highest killers of humans in Africa amongst animals.

#FACT

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by IyfeNamikaze(m): 8:47pm On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
yeah, dey dnt chew meat. They only bite u and leave u dere.
yep, they bite and leave you there. they are herbivores! have you not seen a video of two hippos fighting?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by shota(m): 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2015
TONYE001:

In the initial comment I quoted. Abi no be you write am?

....that name brings a lot of memories you know...

Was that KE town or Ke forest ?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by TONYE001(m): 6:55pm On Feb 19, 2015
shota:

Was that KE town or Ke forest ?

E be like say you no know the Ke sef... Na lie?

Ke Town is a settlement in Degema Local Government Area. Travelers to Ke and Bonny (as well as Bile) pass through the same sea - the New Calabar River from Bonny Waterside or Abonema Wharf.

And yeah, there are tales that claim that hippopotamuses are found there...
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by shota(m): 8:44pm On Feb 19, 2015
TONYE001:

E be like say you no know the Ke sef... Na lie?

Ke Town is a settlement in Degema Local Government Area. Travelers to Ke and Bonny (as well as Bile) pass through the same sea - the New Calabar River from Bonny Waterside or Abonema Wharf.

And yeah, there are tales that claim that hippopotamuses are found there...

There is a difference between Town and forest. The town is where the people live while the forest might be the forest land of the people. I was referring to KE forest and not KE town.. People fail exams cos they always add to what is not required. Abi Hippo dey live inside town where people live ? Or maybe you no sabi the territory of Ke.. Ask your elders from Ke to tell you.

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by TONYE001(m): 9:19pm On Feb 19, 2015
shota:

There is a difference between Town and forest. The town is where the people live while the forest might be the forest land of the people. I was referring to KE forest and not KE town.. People fail exams cos they always add to what is not required. Abi Hippo dey live inside town where people live ? Or maybe you no sabi the territory of Ke.. Ask your elders from Ke to tell you.

Lolz...

OK o...

I get you now...but hippopotamus dey for forest? Abi na for water e dey?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by shota(m): 6:45am On Feb 20, 2015
TONYE001:

Lolz...

OK o...

I get you now...but hippopotamus dey for forest? Abi na for water e dey?

Hippo is a land animal but goes to the water very often.

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
Gosh! That's horrible.

I can't even move
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by itstpia8: 4:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
evegran:
Gosh! That's horrible.

I can't even move

what's the correlation between your first and second sentences?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 20, 2015
itstpia8:

what's the correlation between your first and second sentences?

Duh?

I'm in shock and overwhelmed by the pictures and have a strong imagination of what the fisherman must have gone through, esp the pain and its a numbing feeling. Duh?

Okay it was a lil dramatic but still I showed emotions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Canada Joins US, Changes Rules For Nigerian Doctors, Others To Practice / I Have This Skin Problem And I Am About To Get Married (Graphic Photo) / Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.