Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance (39574 Views)

Interview Question: Why Do You Want This Job? / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. / All The Applicants Failed This Interview Question. (please Help Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Pdizzle(m): 9:50pm On Feb 16, 2015
victorVIC1:

Effectiveness in the world of management simply means doing the right thing while efficiency means doing things right.An employee is said to be effective when he or she often carry out tasks that are in alignment with the organizational or departmental goals while an efficient staff is a staff that seeks to perform assigned duties with the lowest possible cost.Hence, while effectiveness involves the understanding and achievement of set goals and objectives, efficiency on the other hand is concerned with how well resources are utilized to carry out assigned roles and responsibilities. A good employee must be both efficient and effective as the both terms are not mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by listenersky: 9:50pm On Feb 16, 2015
V
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
Jokay07:
i will go for 'efficient' . Why? Because being an effective staff makes someone's capacity and capability concentrated in a section or department. A staff might be effective in adminstrative work while he won't be effective in finance. An effective staff is not flexible in terms of transfer of work. But an efficient staff is capable of doing different works, he is not effective in the adminstrative work alone but efficient enough to handle both adminstrative and financial work. He is efficient enough to perform very well under any given work condition. This would be my reply if I am being asked in an interview. Just my opinion

The bad thing about Nigerian system is the effective and efficent worker end up with 50k as monthly salary despite the efficient guy being a jack of all trade.

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by GodMode: 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
[quote author=digitalsimboja post=30790910]Dearest colleagues, please herewith is a question I was asked in an interview that had me blabbing without arriving at any answer. Maybe u can help rectify d answer to it by injecting ur own view here. Thanks in advance as the question goes 'Differentiate between an effective and efficient staff; which one do u prefer to be in our firm'..i blanked really at dx [/quote
]

Both
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Abbey2sam(m): 9:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
effective and efficient work hand in hand

you can not be efficient if your not effective
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by chichriso: 9:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
so what did you do afterward when you regained yourself?

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by teabully(m): 9:53pm On Feb 16, 2015
digitalsimboja:
Dearest colleagues, please herewith is a question I was asked in an interview that had me blabbing without arriving at any answer. Maybe u can help rectify d answer to it by injecting ur own view here. Thanks in advance as the question goes 'Differentiate between an effective and efficient staff; which one do u prefer to be in our firm'..i blanked really at dx..
well as a public admin graduate, I have come across this question in my undergraduate days, well I think I will prefer being an Effective staff, an Effective staff in d sense dat, am a CHANGE figure in the Organization I find my self, even when having a superior in my dept, am still an inovator, a change maker, my boss can't do without me, cos I always effect change, on the othehand, being efficient means getting things done as being prescribed by one's boss/superior, though the two terms has definite objective.

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by soulhighman(m): 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2015
I've learnt something tonite.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nature129(m): 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2015
I'll choose an efficient staff. The 2 mean almost the same thing but a slight difference which lies in resource and time mgt. An effective staff gets something done using all available resources and time BUT an efficient staff gets work done using minimal resources and time no matter how much of those he/she has. angry

4 Likes

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by felai: 9:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
Mgt classs...Present
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 9:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nature129:
I'll choose an efficient staff. The 2 mean almost the same thing but a slight difference which lies in resource and time mgt. An effective staff gets something done using all available resources and time BUT an efficient staff gets work done using minimal resources and time no matter how much of those he/she has. angry

Correct........ That is it.

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by dustydee: 9:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
No right or wrong answer, just pick one and explain to the interviewer why you think it is a more desirable quality. All they want to know is how you think or your reasoning ability.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
lemme use a machine to illustrate: when a machine is effective, it gets a certain job done. When it is efficient, it get the job done, with less effort and power.

Similarly, an effective staff get's the job done, especially to the letter. An efficient staff, get done the job done with little efforts frm his superiors. That is little supervision, making the use of available resources.
May i add that he also add value to his job, something extra, something unique. A signature kind of.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2015
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by creepsyme(f): 10:00pm On Feb 16, 2015
both marry each other in organisational function but if am compelled to choose , I will prefer to be effecient which means performing or functioning in the best
possible manner with the least waste of
time and effort; while effectiveness is the capability of producing
a desired result.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Lexusgs430: 10:01pm On Feb 16, 2015
Both questions go hand in hand. How effective can an efficient person be? Very effective and efficient!!!
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nihilist: 10:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
Effectiveness has to do with how impactful a member of staff can be. It's a measure of a person's ability to meet a target.

Efficiency is a measure of how a member of staff utilises and manages resources(including time, man hours, finance) while trying to be effective.

Basically effectiveness asks if a person can meet a target. Efficiency asks how he does so.

A useful analogy is a comparison of 2 soldiers.

Soldier A is armed with a machine gun, while Soldier B is a skilled marksman.

Both are teaked with killing a target surrounded by armed bodyguards.

Soldier A goes in guns blazing, sprays all the bodyguards with his machine gune and kills his target with a grenade

Soldier B kills his target one time with a headshot taken from range with his sniper rifle.

Both soldiers were effective as they both achived the goal of killng their target

However only soldier B was efficient, as he achieved his target without wasting time, energy, money, or bullets.

3 Likes

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by coolviv: 10:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
Next time, tell them efficiency naturally leads to effectiveness. If you are efficient in the processes required to satisfy customers, you will satisfy customers and that satisfaction makes them do business with the company which makes you an effective employee to them.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Pyroxene: 10:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
The one that threw me off balance when I was asked was; who is the smartest person u know and y do u think that person is the smartest person'' I was thinking should I say ME or some really smart world figure like steve jobs, mark zukerberg etc
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by bobchigar(m): 10:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
Efficient is better. Two are also good because at the end both lead to achievement of goals but advantage of efficient over effective is that efficient staff achieve its goals with minimal resources through optimum utilization of available resource.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by sunny777: 10:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
You are right bro.
victorVIC1:

Effectiveness in the world of management simply means doing the right thing while efficiency means doing things right.An employee is said to be effective when he or she often carry out tasks that are in alignment with the organizational or departmental goals while an efficient staff is a staff that seeks to perform assigned duties with the lowest possible cost.Hence, while effectiveness involves the understanding and achievement of set goals and objectives, efficiency on the other hand is concerned with how well resources are utilized to carry out assigned roles and responsibilities. A good employee must be both efficient and effective as the both terms are not mutually exclusive.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by LewisO: 10:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
Typing...
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Chigorkizz(m): 10:14pm On Feb 16, 2015
noted
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Evathyst(f): 10:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
digitalsimboja:
Dearest colleagues, please herewith is a question I was asked in an interview that had me blabbing without arriving at any answer. Maybe u can help rectify d answer to it by injecting ur own view here. Thanks in advance as the question goes 'Differentiate between an effective and efficient staff; which one do u prefer to be in our firm'..i blanked really at dx..
This is the simplest question I've come across in recent time. An efficient staff is one who is hard working. But his hard work may not necessarily transform to productivity and profit for his agency. An effective staff on the other hand is one who may not necessarily seem like he's over-working himself. But his little effort however transform into huge success.

Since the goal of every employer is to increase their productivity, I think the latter is better on their pay-roll.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by icn121: 10:26pm On Feb 16, 2015
Efficiency: Doing things right; Effectiveness: Doing the right thing.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 16, 2015
Based on my background in management, efficiency and effectiveness are two different thing and a classic example of QUALITY vs QUANTITY. While efficiency is about minimising cost and increasing output (quantity), effectiveness is geared toward achieving the intended result (quality).

Being efficient does not necessarily mean
effective. A person can be very efficient at what
they are doing but still not get to where they
want to be because they aren't doing the right
things. That's where "effective" comes in.

"Effective" means "having the desired result".
Once the desired overall result is defined, the
tasks leading to the result can be isolated and
these tasks can then be completed EFFICIENTLY.

However, in the business world an employee must maintain a balance between efficiency and effectiveness.

That's my view....

1 Like

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by icedbreez(m): 10:35pm On Feb 16, 2015
Effective person gets the job done, set goals and targets re achieved.
Efficient person is a person who is very good at what he does but doesn't necessarily achieve set goals.
I would rather be effective than efficient.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Sibrah: 10:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
An Effective staff always finds a way to gets things done, either with little or much resources - Time, Material etc. While an efficient staff get thing done with relatively little resources.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by chingydaboss(m): 10:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
U remind me of a lecturer of mine dat teaches cipm..remember a day we argued abt dat in d klass.
victorVIC1:

Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
Off- topic

@Seun we need a favorite button pls
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by feelme3(m): 10:43pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nihilist:
Effectiveness has to do with how impactful a member of staff can be. It's a measure of a person's ability to meet a target.

Efficiency is a measure of how a member of staff utilises and manages resources(including time, man hours, finance) while trying to be effective.

Basically effectiveness asks if a person can meet a target. Efficiency asks how he does so.

A useful analogy is a comparison of 2 soldiers.

Soldier A is armed with a machine gun, while Soldier B is a skilled marksman.

Both are teaked with killing a target surrounded by armed bodyguards.

Soldier A goes in guns blazing, sprays all the bodyguards with his machine gune and kills his target with a grenade

Soldier B kills his target one time with a headshot taken from range with his sniper rifle.

Both soldiers were effective as they both achived the goal of killng their target

However only soldier B was efficient, as he achieved his target without wasting time, energy, money, or bullets.

I will make you the Manging Director of the company with this illustration. 1billion likes to you bro. I'd love to have a chat with you. Pls leave a medium of contact.
Re: Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance by cheezy4whizy: 10:45pm On Feb 16, 2015
KehindeAwoniyi:
From what I learnt in a management course I took a while back, Effectiveness is doing the right things while Efficiency is doing things right. Hope this helps
God bless u my brother. a person might be doing d wrong thing yet be efficient. efficiency is directing ur power to a certain course while to be effective is to serve d purpose u re needed for... my own view tho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Need Info On Salary Of A Non Academic Staff In A Federal University / Nigerian Army Short Service Combatant Recruitment 2016 / 5 Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.