Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Thanksgiving Biblical? (6636 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Is Thanksgiving Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 9:52am On Jan 06, 2009
It is good to Thank God always.But what i dont undrstand is to whom are we soppose to give our thanksgiving offerings to?or is there anything like thanks giving offerings in the bible?pls let me know the scripture.And is it also Biblical to take material things to church for thanksgiving. please respond fellow nairalanders.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 11:19am On Jan 06, 2009
Where as there is nothing really wrong with thanksgiving on the surface of it, (whether biblical or not) what is wrong is the false impression given in churches that they are representing God so you should take your thanks offering to them. There is no scriptural basis for this in the New testament ( directed at christians). What was recommended in the new testament as a way of showing gratitude to God was helping the needy
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:56am On Jan 07, 2009
There is no such thing as thanksgiving offering.

Give thanks always that is what scriptures says and it is done in this way:

Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 11:01am On Jan 09, 2009
kunle and Tgirl i quite agree with you that there ia no biblical verses to wether we are to give thanksgiving offering or not. personally i believe one should always give thanks to God no matter the condition. But the ideal that the so called men of God uses is what is not comfortable with me.You will be asked to bring both financial and material things to the house of God for thanksgiving while the God you are thanking did not ask you to bring anything of such.in some churches families would be called after families to bring their thanksgiving,they make it seems assive you have committed a big sin without it.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by sammyzacks(m): 5:51pm On Jan 12, 2009
Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, for his mercies endures for ever.

Offerings are good. Give them to God joyfully, without compulsion from your pastor or anyone for that matter.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:00pm On Jan 19, 2009
yea compulsion is wat we are talking about,but reverse is what we get from churches assive is the pastors that did what you are thanking God for.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Ben13: 11:45am On Jan 20, 2009
Thanksgiving is Biblical, but not to pastors: it's to God

when you take your substance to the church, have it in mind that you gave to God, and not to the pastor. and your sacrifies shall be taken.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by MrCrackles(m): 11:46am On Jan 20, 2009
Ben20001:

Thanksgiving is Biblical, but not to pastors: it's to God
when you take your substance to the church, have it in mind that you gave to God, and not to the pastor. and your sacrifies shall be taken.

But how do you reconcile the pastor taking it home for his personal use? cheesy
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Ben13: 11:51am On Jan 20, 2009
that shouldn't be your thought,

you have done it (Thanksgiving to God).
where it goes from the church should not give you headache.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by MrCrackles(m): 12:05pm On Jan 20, 2009
Ben20001:

that shouldn't be your thought,

you have done it (Thanksgiving to God).
where it goes from the church should not give you headache.

No way
I will expect the pastor to give it to the needy rather than greedily take the item/effect home!
This is common nowadays especially with all this new generation pastors, they want it all!
women, tithes, offerings, everything
! cheesy
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Ben13: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2009
lol.

Be good o, God might call you one day to be a pastor o
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 2:31pm On Jan 20, 2009
i might be thinking along that way too,cos its easy money if you have the brain.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 5:31pm On Jan 22, 2009
yea the question is that is Thanksgiving Biblical? As anybody heard from kunleoshob lately,cos his contributions are scarce these days.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Ben13: 2:20pm On Jan 23, 2009
hmmmm
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 5:52pm On Jan 23, 2009
segyemaro:

yea the question is that is Thanksgiving Biblical? As anybody heard from kunleoshob lately,cos his contributions are scarce these days.
Nice to be remembered, i have been off line most of this year cos my schedule hasn't afforded me much time to be on the net, i hope to be fully back soon. even then i drop in from time to time.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 6:39pm On Feb 09, 2009
The question is , IS THANKSGIVING BIBLICAL
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 9:46am On Feb 23, 2009
Yes is it?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by eghosaobas: 10:46am On Feb 23, 2009
its not biblical,as far as i have gone in the bible,its good to thank God but to take yams and cows to the church for the pastor,i dont think that is biblical.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 1:59pm On Feb 24, 2009
well that is what we are trying to find out.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by benedictac(f): 11:21am On Mar 02, 2009
eghosaobas:

its not biblical,as far as i have gone in the bible,its good to thank God but to take yams and cows to the church for the pastor,i dont think that is biblical.

Le 7:12 If he offer it for a thanksgiving, then he shall offer with the sacrifice of thanksgiving unleavened cakes mingled with oil, and unleavened wafers anointed with oil, and cakes mingled with oil, of fine flour soaked.
Le 7:13 With cakes of leavened bread he shall offer his oblation with the sacrifice of his peace-offerings for thanksgiving.
Le 7:15 And the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace-offerings for thanksgiving shall be eaten on the day of his oblation; he shall not leave any of it until the morning.

Thanksgiving is biblical.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:33pm On Mar 02, 2009
offer the thanksgiving to who?to your pastors?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by benedictac(f): 9:23am On Mar 03, 2009
not to my pastors but to God. He is His (God) representative.

If you think it is easy to be a man of God, then go and call yourself to be a pastor.

If you dont know, know now that

2Ti 2:6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 9:41am On Mar 03, 2009
benedictac:

not to my pastors but to God. He is His (God) representative..
This is not only blasphemous, it is highly unbiblical. How can you say mere mortals are representing GOD. Better think again, most of them are not doing God's work they are only serving themselves if they were they would be spending most of the churches income on taking care of the poor as was directed in the bible and practised by the apostles

Acts 4:32-35:

The Believers Share Their Possessions

32 All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had. 33 The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all. 34 There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them 35 and bring the money to the apostles to give to those in need.

Passage James 1:27:
27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by JJYOU: 10:03am On Mar 03, 2009
kunle are you a pastor? if not what are you?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 10:14am On Mar 03, 2009
JJYOU:

kunle are you a pastor? if not what are you?
I am not a pastor i am just a believer in the true gospel of Jesus christ. I decided to study and understand the word on my own indepennt of what we are being taught in church and i realized that the church is defintely not teaching us to live the kind of life christ directed. Jesus greatest commandment is love to our felllow men. Church leadership merely only pay a lip service to this commandment, they are more interested in themselves than the flock.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pinkylady1(f): 11:10am On Mar 03, 2009
We are what we are today not by our power or our might but by the grace of God
we can't pay pay him for his divine protection, provision and mercy if not through
thankgiving, by giving thanks to God we are telling him we appreciate him and
indirectly asking him for more.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 11:16am On Mar 03, 2009
Recommended way of giving to God by Jesus

Matthew 25:35-40:
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

Do not be deceived, as christians the teachings of christ takes precedence over the teachings of any self serving pastor.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by JJYOU: 11:25am On Mar 03, 2009
KunleOshob:

I am not a pastor i am just a believer in the true gospel of Jesus christ. I decided to study and understand the word on my own indepennt of what we are being taught in church and i realized that the church is defintely not teaching us to live the kind of life christ directed. Jesus greatest commandment is love to our felllow men. Church leadership merely only pay a lip service to this commandment, they are more interested in themselves than the flock.
thanks sir. where do you fellowship? or attend church services if that is okay with you.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Hesperus(m): 11:27am On Mar 03, 2009
KunleOshob:

Thank you my brother, that is the bottomline of it all. Again, well said.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2009
100% correct kunle
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by benedictac(f): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
KunleOshob:

@ Kunle,

are you saying that you know it all and all the pastors are fake, liers and 419s just because they are encouraging you to give thanks to God with your substance and pay your tithe?

So there is no real true man of God that teaches tithes and offerings bah?

study this part very well
2Chron.31:5-12
Neh. 10:34-39
Amos.:4:4
Heb.7:5-10
Gen.14:20
Lev.27:30-34
Num.18:21-32
Deu. 12:6-14
Deu.14:22-29

i will send more
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:55pm On Mar 03, 2009
JJYOU:

thanks sir. where do you fellowship? or attend church services if that is okay with you.
Even though i am a baptist and i still attend service occasionally i don't draw much inspiration from attending church services anymore. i taught of joining a fellowship but i discovered that i would just end up arguing with members there since i don't agree with a lot of church doctrine. i have since learnt to read and understand the bible my self. And believe me i am a much better and knowledgeable christian for that decision.

benedictac:

@ Kunle,

are you saying that you know it all and all the pastors are fake, liers and 419s just because they are encouraging you to give thanks to God with your substance and pay your tithe?

So there is no real true man of God that teaches tithes and offerings bah?

study this part very well
2Chron.31:5-12
Neh. 10:34-39
Amos.:4:4
Heb.7:5-10
Gen.14:20
Lev.27:30-34
Num.18:21-32
Deu. 12:6-14
Deu.14:22-29

i will send more

Don't bother, i have read all the verses you just quoted and every passage in the bible that spoke about tithes, as such i can claim to know all the bible as to say about tithes. The problem with the scriptures you quoted is that they are incomplete, please go back and read them again read from at least three verses before and three verses after for you to have a proper understanding. Also when you read them read with an open mind not with a pastor influenced mindset. Take note especiaaly of deut 14: 22-29 see how it defines tithes and compare it with how it is defined it today. verse 26 of that passage also confirms that money is NOT tithable hence the instruction to use the monet to buy food suff, wine and alcoholic drinks. Also note that the tither is supposed to eat his tithes in the presence of god with his family. How does that compare with the version they preach to you in churches today?

Also the hebrew passage you quoted why did you stop at verse 10 ?? verse 11 clearly cancels the practise of tithing and verse 18 describes tithing as a weak and useless commandment, please go back and read it well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Babies Will End in Hell! - Biblical proof / John 1:1 According To Greek And Aramaic Translation / Do Male Muslims Have Their Sperms Between Their Backbone And Their Ribcage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.