Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,481 members, 7,781,437 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:23 PM

10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary (73782 Views)

SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by gbodimowo(m): 2:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
Akkord4gov:
Guilty of them all.May the soul of my English teacher forgive me.No wonder I had C6 in my English and C in my GST 101 with my geniousity in English.
GENIOUSITY
ALRIGHT,FTC tinz,I dedicate this to all DISVIRGIN babes out there who aren't OPPORTUNED to keep their virginity.I also appreciate my SCREENTOUCH phone and network service.Infact the GO-SLOW I experienced during the journey to a grandpa WAKE-KEEPING was a blessing to be FTC.
Abeg I be confirm yoruba son,I will modify my grammatical errors if Oyinbo too can speak my Yoruba
To be candid,this is a sign of victory for me in this 2015
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by EXLOVER(m): 2:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hero10001:

Craw craw, chuku chuku, puff puff, kpokish, wining i.e No "wine" me o.
Burn finish as in; Jonathan ti "J'ona tan".

Hahahaha!
;-D ;-D
Hahahaha...Gbola, yuh knw am?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by DeCritique(m): 2:41pm On Feb 18, 2015
SuperModerator:
Let me add a few;

mannerless: Say she lacks manners cos there is no word like mannerless

Convocate - convoke: Do not say convocate, say convoke. No such word as convocate

Gist (verb) - Chitchat: Gist can not take verb form so no words like gisted and gisting

Cattle rearer - herder
There is no such word as cattle rearer or rearer. herder is the right word
Eg: Ugochukwu's father is a cattle rearer(wrong)
Ugochukwu's father is a herder(right)

The right example should have been as thus;

E.g: By March 24 2015, Buhari will become a herder again!! cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by TopWinner(m): 2:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Namady(m): 2:52pm On Feb 18, 2015
The way I dey use go-slow eh grin grin grin
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Stevez32(m): 2:53pm On Feb 18, 2015
SuperModerator:
Let me add a few;

Convocate - convoke: Do not say convocate, say convoke. No such word as convocate

Gist (verb) - Chitchat: Gist can not take verb form so no words like gisted and gisting

Cattle rearer - herder

Sorry bro, you are wrong the correct word is buhari, not ungochukwu's father
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by emonkey(m): 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2015
The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alright
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Olaone1: 3:00pm On Feb 18, 2015
SuperModerator:
Let me add a few;

Cattle rearer - herder
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by emonkey(m): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
DucatiKNG:

http://ynaija.com/disvirgin-cross-carpeting-go-slow-7-more-words-you-wont-find-in-the-dictionary/

disvirgin
Verb

(third-person singular simple present disvirgins, present participle disvirgining, simple past and past participle disvirgined)

To take away the virginity of a person
To open

http://www.yourdictionary.com/disvirgin

SMH These fake Nairaland English teachers grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Infoay: 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
Very insightful. Thanks op!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Dammyjohn(m): 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2015
tonychristopher:

language evovle and english language is evolving around the speakers

will you say americans speak wrong english?
will you say that of jamaican or indians etc

now we have ol english and modern english

so which is more coorect is it "Thou" or "You"

I am waiting
''You''is very correct."Thou" not that is not correct but it was used in past and had become old english word.It was later edited or amended to become "You".
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by uzolexis(f): 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
nagoma:

Wrong. How can Ugochukwu's father be Fulani ?

Deaddd cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Dobxy(m): 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
People use Sprinkle when they mean Drizzle
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by fejicruz(m): 3:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
Some Nigerians also say "SUFFERNESS".....I heard this word a lot during Orientation Camp
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Qmab: 3:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
Who cares, so far we are communicating.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by mufubaba: 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2015
Disvirgin: This particular “word” is used severally on a daily basis, especially by Nigerian men when they intend saying that a woman has lost her virginity to a guy. The correct word to use, however, is deflower, because “disvirgin” is not a word. @OP you goofed also. SEVERALLY is not used the way you used it in the sentence and cannot be found to be used like that in any standard dictionary. Many Nigerians use SEVERALLY in the context to mean many times hence this example: I have visited him severally but didn't meet him at home. Correct phrase is: I have visited you several times, but didn't meet him at home. SEVERALLY means respectively or separately.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by favouryemmy: 3:28pm On Feb 18, 2015
op. There's something called Nigerian English. if not tell me who manufactured Pidgin English. So when we invent English words, it isn't a crime. Those Oyibo people need to learn from us too and add these words to the dictionary just as they added bootilicious. Kpomkwem!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Nnegret(f): 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
Interesting post! Nairaland forum indeed is no child's play to have its post airing now live on 101.5 fm here on the plateau. Guys, Tune in to confirm.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by classicladyk(f): 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
tis in the dictionary... just that Nigeria government are waiting for the right time to launch the dictionary... tis only for use in Nigeria lower and higher institution...LOL
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by escottkr8t(m): 3:40pm On Feb 18, 2015
Great write up

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by annawhite(f): 3:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
@OP
We have Oxford Dictionary so can't we have a Nigerian Dictionary
The 10 words* can be found in Nigerian Dictionary tongue### Infact it's d same dictionary that u will find out the botanical name for blokos
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by souljaboi51(m): 3:51pm On Feb 18, 2015
it is important to note that some of these words are coined from pidgin and has found its way to our daily communication. some are also metaphors.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by tonychristopher: 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2015
989900:

I was 'gbaduning' (new vocab) you until you have to result to insult. Liked your post though.

thank you bro

i didnt result to insult bro but i wanted to resort to insult...i hate it when our own naija pidging is looked down on

if you travel out, people dey like hear our pidgin...e too pure naaah

how you see am

if i be jonathan

na pidgin dem go use teach maths and physics joor
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by tonychristopher: 3:55pm On Feb 18, 2015
annawhite:
@OP
We have Oxford Dictionary so can't we have a Nigerian Dictionary
The 10 words* can be found in Nigerian Dictionary tongue### Infact it's d same dictionary that u will find out the botanical name for blokos

i support you babe, but e be like say you like blokos and prik sha, e get blokos wey make sense, but why dem no fit find toto for dictinary

i think say we go get pidgin dictionary joor

how you see am

based on striffing movement
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Kingsasian(m): 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2015
EXLOVER:
[b][/b] KPEKUS, NYASH, BLONBLON,BELLE, Yama yama, okrikputor, Jedi jedi. Tebe teibe
Cheesus!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by bobkezel(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
This one na we own.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by EXLOVER(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
Kingsasian:
Cheesus!
WETIN
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by macof(m): 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
There's American English, Canadian English, Australian English..although still very much like British English...there's Ghanian English pls respect the concept of Nigerian English
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by Wolexyoshi(m): 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
All the english wey dey for dictionary were created one way or the other. Mind you, just early last year some word were added to the new edition of oxford dictionary such like: Ping, Brb, Buzz lol and some others. Google it for more info
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by EnigmAries(m): 4:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
Adjectives e.g Opportune and Mature, should never be in past tense.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary by trybe(m): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2015
Warri no dey carry last na #as I dey type nw I dey OPPortuned to dey inside GO slow DEy shit# Bleep off u 1 dey form wole soyinka#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If You Read This Book During Your Primary School, You Should Be Married With Kid / 25 Inspirational Quotes From 3 Idiots Movie / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.