Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,777 members, 7,798,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo (51847 Views)

Lucky Irabor: "I Directed Air Strike That Misfires And Killed Many In Borno" / ISIS Announces Abu Musab Al-Barnawi As New Boko Haram Leader To Replace Shekau / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by dejt4u(m): 11:59am On Feb 18, 2015
As criticisms and commendations continue to trail his dramatic exit from the Peoples Democratic Party, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has explained how he arrived at the decision to dump the party to which he belonged for 16 years.

The former president had Monday announced his resignation as a member of the party on whose platform he ruled the country between 1999 and 2007.
Mr. Obasanjo renounced his membership of the PDP when some leaders of the party led by Surajudeen Oladunjoye, the chairman of the ward around his former residence in Ita Eko, visited him at his Presidential Hilltop mansion in Abeokuta home.

The former president directed Mr. Oladunjoye to tear his membership card at a press conference organised during the visit.
About two hours later, the PDP leadership in Ogun State announced the expulsion of the former president from the party.
However, in a telephone interview with PREMIUM TIMES Tuesday, Mr. Obasanjo explained that the PDP members visited him to express their genuine concern about his refusal to be active in the party.

“They were concerned that I had only one leg in the party, and worried that since I’m their leader in the ward, they need to hear from me,” the former President said.
According to him, when the party members arrived his residence, they were singing a song in Yoruba language –
“Nigeria yi ti gbobgo wa ni, Ko ma gbodo ba je. Eje ka sowopo kajo gbega (Meaning – Nigeria belongs to all of us, we must not allow it to be destroyed and we must join hands to make it great).
Mr. Obasanjo said when they settled down he sought to know why they came and that it was at that point that Mr. Oladunjoye told him that since he (Obasanjo) as their leader became angry with the PDP and remained inactive in the party, they had not only lost sense of direction but also worried about their political future.

He also said the party members informed him that the leadership in the state was planning to expel him and that they wondered what would happen to them if he was expelled because they would become rudderless.
“You are our leader and it is you we are following. You have remained a card-carrying member of the the party. But since you became angry with the party we have lost sense of direction and now we are hearing that they want to expel you. If they expel you, where do we go? What do we do?” Mr. Obasanjo quoted the ward chairman as saying.

The former president explained that it was at that point that he gave them his PDP membership card and told them that they could do whatever they want with it.
He said, “In my response, I said when you people came you were singing a song and I agreed that Nigeria is our own. If the issue is the party, I will not choose the party at the detriment of Nigeria and I will fight for Nigeria even at the detriment of the party. I will rather surrender my membership of the party so you people can move on politically,”

Mr. Obasanjo explained to PREMIUM TIMES.
“If you people’s worry is that I’m a card-carrying member of the party and I’m not showing you people direction and you are worried that I’m neither here nor there, this is the card; you can keep it, you can burn it or you can tear it, do whatever you want to do with it.”

The former president said he then handed over his membership card to Mr. Oladunjoye, who immediately decided on his own to shred it.
Mr. Obasanjo said he had no regrets for his action despite the criticisms that have greeted it.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/177051-why-i-directed-pdp-ward-leader-to-tear-my-membership-card-obasanjo.html

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by madridguy(m): 12:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
Waiting for the details
Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by disloman(m): 12:08pm On Feb 18, 2015
baba ooooooo

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by dunkem21(m): 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2015
I am sceptical about commenting on anything OBJ.

If lalasticlala checks well and puts it on the home page, ehen ..
Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by datguru: 2:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
Irrelevant

We don't give a fucck! For all we care, you can go to hell and burn to ashes

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by freshness2020: 2:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
Baba we have heard you......we are already moving on without you..
No be by social media votes...the real deal is the world out here!
GEJ 2015!

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Oildichotomy(m): 2:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
Why is this man like this?

So cunny and vague in his expressions!
I can't even say I understood what he succeeded in passing across--
I'm even surprised how he ruled us for freaking eight years with such explanations undecided

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by fulfillment22: 2:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
Who cares?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by adrainuche(m): 2:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
Obj u are no longer needed ...

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Barselonia(m): 2:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
all this reason baba gave no be reason ...

The main reason be say as party Ward leader tore ur card,he gave dem no option than for dem too to tore their card......
The exit of baba from that ward ,he carry all the members along with him.....

LOBATAN.......

EBORA OWUUU

5 Likes

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by natureblack(m): 2:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
Much talking is the cause of danger.Less-talk is a means of avoiding misfortune.

The talkative parrot is shut up in a cage.Other birds with less speech,fly freely about.

It's obvious that the senescent septuagenarian must obey the laws of diminishing order.......OBJ is irrelevant and an embittered loser in the Nigerian political space.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by lordsharks(m): 2:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
Baba is Angry o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by lordsharks(m): 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
Anyway that's naija politics for you

1 Like

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Regiblinkz(m): 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
In sure this man is not the only ex-leader we've had in this country

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Gabrielsylar(m): 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
dimensia

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Koroaso: 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
"Baba throwing tantrums like a 5 year old since 1800BC"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by ddippset(m): 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
let's be frank about it. it was only obasanjo's presence in the PDP that gave it that air of domination over the APC, be it an abstract or a real feeling of dominance amongst Nigerians. with his exit, PDP and APC are now perfectly equal in most people's eyes. we now have 2 very equally balanced political parties in Niger. the generic REPUBLICAN PARTY and the generic DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

10 Likes

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by luvbeloved(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Chai...OBJ can lie!!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by lordsharks(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Naija politicians always jumping from one party to another,let's see where he is going now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by solarview(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
1 plot

1 Like

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Dee60: 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
OBJ

1 Like

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by justhelp(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
ok oo
Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Warlord3000(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Baba na real clown i swear cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
There's more than meets the eye in all the unfolding Political Drama. I pray Nigeria scales through her current Trying Times.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by splashbaby(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
He was not the one that did the tearing...

9 Likes

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by sabdaz: 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
Has he answered the questions you are all bout to ask?
Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by wisefizz(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
SEE STORY UP THERE may da LORD HELP NIGERIA[b][/b].................

1 Like

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Misogynist2014(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
Defeat is eminent for GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by folabayo1(f): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
The truth is baba is sick of the clueless and corrupt party so baba wants Change and he shall have it..
SaiBaba
Saibuhari
Ambo
Baba u are welcome.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by jhydebaba(m): 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
baba himself....
ebora owu....
who dares rub ur sword?

dem must bow cuz ila ko ni ga titi ko ga ju onire e lo.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Directed PDP Ward Leader To Tear My Membership Card - Obasanjo by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
Frustrated old man...tearing everything including his daughter in-law's legs. Ozu awo.

19 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo Worshipping In Church In 1995 (Tony Rapu's Throwback Video) / Fayose Buying Bed From Roadside Furniture Maker In Ado / Female Suicide Bomber Captured In Maiduguri This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.