Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. (17157 Views)

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians / Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 2:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
nana228:
ok,can you send me a pm containing your number?

No need for the pm dearie here is my digits **********

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 2:01pm On Feb 19, 2015

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by sorextee(m): 2:10pm On Feb 19, 2015
Toasting in d name of atheism. I wonder which temple una go do una wedding smiley
nana228:
ok,can you send me a pm containing your number?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 2:16pm On Feb 19, 2015
sorextee:
Toasting in d name of atheism. I wonder which temple una go do una wedding smiley

Court wedding gidi gan and actaully it doesnt even matter if na church or mosque. what matters is that we sign the marriage certificate and are legally married... gerit? grin So now whats ur problem with like minds trying to get together?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 11:50am On Feb 20, 2015
nana228:
Present.

Closet atheist, still pray with my family and go to church which is so annoying. It'll kill my parents if they find out so i intend to keep it to myself.

I intend to save my kids from religious scars- more like godless mom

wow at seeing a female atheist! females tend to be very religious yet here you are; an atheist! I'm happy to know lol

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2015
colored:
wow at seeing a female atheist! females tend to be very religious yet here you are; an atheist! I'm happy to know lol

They are millions of them, maybe more than male atheists but they tend to more conserved in voicing it out that their male counterparts..

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 11:58am On Feb 20, 2015
I went from being an ardent believer to a deist. I'm making my decision of being a deist to my parents once I get back home after this semester. I care two shit less bout what they'd say

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 12:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:

They are millions of them, maybe more than male atheists but they tend to more conserved in voicing it out that their male counterparts..
Nigerians? I think not. Nigerian females are one of the most religious peeps in the world

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
colored:
Nigerians? I think not. Nigerian females are one of the most religious peeps in the world
They are millions of nigerian female atheists but like i said they tend be more conservative in saying it out...

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by michaelwestern(m): 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:

But atheism is not a belief, its unbelief of any deity or gods... in fact people who share no belief in gods pride knowledge over belief. . .

Its funny when you say atheism is not a believe system. For you to not believe in any deity, it mean you BELIEVE that those deity does not exist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by bluedaze(f): 3:16pm On Feb 20, 2015
nana228:
Present.

Closet atheist, still pray with my family and go to church which is so annoying. It'll kill my parents if they find out so i intend to keep it to myself.

I intend to save my kids from religious scars- more like godless mom

how do you think you can manage to save your kids from it? it is everywhere. impossible to dodge. in the schools in the homes every-fuvking-place you turn to

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by anssy(f): 6:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
I am an atheist, believe me being a minority is sad, all this CRAZEtians and MUMUslems will Always try to bully us, atheism is the lack of belief in god or his after life rewards or enternal punishment,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2015
anssy:
I am an atheist, believe me being a minority is sad, all this CRAZEtians and MUMUslems will Always try to bully us, atheism is the lack of belief in god or his after life rewards or enternal punishment,

Hey dear dont worry, NL is a perfect example that more people are starting to use their brains and not blindly believe myths and fables...

It can only get better

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 9:11pm On Feb 20, 2015
I cannot thank nairaland enough for playing a role in liberating me from the mental shackles of religion lol

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 9:27pm On Feb 20, 2015
anssy:

Saw ur email to me, yahoo didnt want to deliver my reply... contact me on whatsapp with the number i sent nana above... thanks
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 9:29pm On Feb 20, 2015
colored:
I cannot thank nairaland enough for playing a role in liberating me from the mental shackles of religion lol
like hundred others that get liberated every day, we make people think for themselves...

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by nana228(f): 4:02pm On Feb 21, 2015

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by nana228(f): 4:06pm On Feb 21, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2015
nana228:
I intend to tell them the truth about the Bible as a book of fables and myths which I know of. They are also free to choose whatever they wish to believe. I won't impose any belief on them.

same here. depends on who you marry though. unless you won't marry a Christian.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2015
nana228:
I intend to tell them the truth about the Bible as a book of fables and myths which I know of. They are also free to choose whatever they wish to believe. I won't impose any belief on them.

unless you wanna marry me lol
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by nana228(f): 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2015
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by simplex2: 8:17pm On Feb 21, 2015
Wow! Nice thread. There are loads of issues we can discuss in-house. Was thinking of starting a thread about certain things but decided against it; since the obvious religious felas will invade it with their fanaticism.

nana228:
I've told my boyfriend he can walk if he's not cool with it but up till now the dude thinks it's just a phase. Dude loves his God.

This is the first issue bugging me: My girlfrnd. We've dated for yrs now and we're planning on getting married next year. But one thing has always lingered in my mind: religion!
I'm agnostic but she is a devout christian. We started dating long time ago when I was still a christian; but after my mum's death, I realized all the promise of ask and it shall be given were false. That was the spark to my quest for answers: and I discovered I've been lied to ALL MY FVCKING LIFE!

I was supposed to see her parents this xmas but I developed cold feet and called it off. I'm yet to tell her I've left religion; she's yet to understand why I backed-off. Don't get me wrong, we love each other like mad! This is our 4th year dating. I do love her but the issue of spending the rest of your life with someone of contrasting believe scares the shit out of me; what happens to the children? What if she believes she can rope me in and then turns to a nag thereafter? I know I should tell her, but I'm still scared of loosing her. I wouldn't want her dumping her religion because of me so its kind of complicated.

What do you guys think?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2015
simplex2:
Wow! Nice thread. There are loads of issues we can discuss in-house. Was thinking of starting a thread about certain things but decided against it; since the obvious religious felas will invade it with their fanaticism.

This is the first issue bugging me: My girlfrnd. We've dated for yrs now and we're planning on getting married next year. But one thing has always lingered in my mind: religion!
I'm agnostic but she is a devout christian. We started dating long time ago when I was still a christian; but after my mum's death, I realized all the promise of ask and it shall be given were false. That was the spark to my quest for answers: and I discovered I've been lied to ALL MY FVCKING LIFE!

I was supposed to see her parents this xmas but I developed cold feet and called it off. I'm yet to tell her I've left religion; she's yet to understand why I backed-off. Don't get me wrong, we love each other like mad! This is our 4th year dating. I do love her but the issue of spending the rest of your life with someone of contrasting believe scares the shit out of me; what happens to the children? What if she believes she can rope me in and then turns to a nag thereafter? I know I should tell her, but I'm still scared of loosing her. I wouldn't want her dumping her religion because of me so its kind of complicated.

What do you guys think?

I understand you so well, Bro i think you should talk to her your love should transcend religion.

Tell her exactly what you are and your stance on religion.

But If u eventually marry her it will be good to wed her in the church since its her belief the only that matters is that the marriage certificate have been signed and you two love each other.

But first talk to her
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by anssy(f): 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2015
I really want to get married to a man that is not religious, you know one of the advantages of marrying an atheist hubby is that he will worship only you, I will don't want to share his attention with an imaginary god.

6 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Liekiller(f): 10:02pm On Feb 21, 2015
simplex2:

What do you guys think?

I also think that you need to speak to her. It's only fair, and if you are patient and cautious she may start asking questions as well. You probably wouldn't have a problem with her belief if it were low-key and she's not being a pest about it? If this doesn't work, then i guess it's realistic to say that such a marriage wouldn't work well. The only way to find out though is getting into a respectful dialogue.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by simplex2: 10:28pm On Feb 21, 2015
Liekiller:

I also think that you need to speak to her. It's only fair, and if you are patient and cautious she may start asking questions as well. You probably wouldn't have a problem with her belief if it were low-key and she's not being a pest about it? If this doesn't work, then i guess it's realistic to say that such a marriage wouldn't work well. The only way to find out though is getting into a respectful dialogue.

Yes, I know I should speak with her first; infact, that was the major reason I backed out of the supposed intro last year. I'm just not certain of the outcome. I can't risk losing her for something as false and irrelevant as religion. I just wish she sees things the way I do. I've tried to discuss it indirectly with her but the direction the discussion takes makes me to withdraw. I don't rob it in people's face that I'm agnostic; I don't even dabble into religious arguments offline. I let people hug whatever rocks their boat. I just wish there's a way I'd make her understand the fraud in religion without making it look like the only option for her if we'd spend the rest of our lives together.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by joseph1832(m): 10:30pm On Feb 21, 2015
Liekiller:

You think? Believe me if she's the type who feels her religion supercedes every other they may have problems, no matter the speaking to simplex2 may do.

What I've discovered about these christians, nope! I'll call them church goers is that they believe in absolutes!. Its either their way or no other way.

Simplex2, if she's been pestering you about why you stopped going to church rest assured that even if you guys get married, religion will still be an issue and she might take your case to her pastor who in turn may feed her his version of Sunday tonic which she'll bring to your face.

My advice to you is to stand firm in what you believe in, and always trust your feelings....
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Liekiller(f): 10:33pm On Feb 21, 2015
simplex2:

Yes, I know I should speak with her first; infact, that was the major reason I backed out of the supposed intro last year. I'm just not certain of the outcome. I can't risk losing her for something as false and irrelevant as religion. I just wish she sees things the way I do. I've tried to discuss it indirectly with her but the direction the discussion takes makes me to withdraw. I don't rob it in people's face that I'm agnostic; I don't even dabble into religious arguments offline. I let people hug whatever rocks their boat. I just wish there's a way I'd make her understand the fraud in religion without making it look like the only option for her if we'd spend the rest of our lives together.

This is not an easy situation at all, sorry. Do you think she is generally willing and able to think outside the box of what she has been indoctrinated with, provided that you explain your reasons and why it is a fraud very well?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by SIRANDREWS: 10:34pm On Feb 21, 2015
colored:
seconded
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by joseph1832(m): 10:37pm On Feb 21, 2015
anssy:
I really want to get married to a man that is not religious, you know one of the advantages of marrying an atheist hubby is that he will worship only you, I will don't want to share his attention with an imaginary god.
Are you serious? Please don't get it miscontrue, atheist defer, don't kid yourself that when you marry an atheist he'll worship only you because it'll shock you.

Its a known fact that many Nigerian men cheat on their wives, in fact they see it as almost normal, and majority of these men are church goers, when it comes to sex many don't let their religious conviction deprive them of it.

If you really want to know a man who will worship only you, is very simple, when you're dating, if he doesn't cheat on you, then there's a high probability that he won't when you guys are married, but if he cheats on you, then, rest assured he'll cheat on you when you're maRried.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Liekiller(f): 10:40pm On Feb 21, 2015
joseph1832:
You think? Believe me if she's the type who feels her religion supercedes every other they may have problems, no matter the speaking to simplex2 may do.

What I've discovered about these christians, nope! I'll call them church goers is that they believe in absolutes!. Its either their way or no other way.

Simplex2, if she's been pestering you about why you stopped going to church rest assured that even if you guys get married, religion will still be an issue and she might take your case to her pastor who in turn may feed her his version of Sunday tonic which she'll bring to your face.

My advice to you is to stand firm in what you believe in, and always trust your feelings....

Oh i totally do agree with you. It's just that he doesn't want to lose her, so they at least can try to sort it out. From what i've seen i also have huge doubts that she'd understand it and not make a fuss about it. But then again what other way is there than to talk? Should it end due to this then at least both know why.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 10:46pm On Feb 21, 2015
simplex2:

What do you guys think?
tell her. if she's not okay with that then the marriage's not gonna work. give her reason why you consider religion a fraud; who knows she may be convinced into believing u. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) / If Your Bride Price Is Not Paid You Can Never See God- Female Preacher(video) / Funny Names Of Nigerian Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.