Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. (17159 Views)

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians / Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Dekatron(m): 4:57pm On May 24, 2015
Thanks @ all.

I already let them know that they should free me....

Now, guys, i am happy that i have removed the shii.t going on on my head for months(almost a year self). . . . I am happy i have a family

Concerning meeting female atheists like Liekiller, i tell you, its rare. . . Women are known to be far more religious than me - my mom as example.

@menesheh, i thought about it. . But :
1. I am still under these people. Considering their religious tenacity and position, they may dis-own me. We are so close in my family that you rarely hear raised voice. So many a time that we make jest of mum & Dad & we all laugh heartily(when e'ry one is home sha). I don't wanna be segregated from my family FOR NOW.

2. I planned to tell them all when i graduate. Then i would be around 22-23. I can fend for myself. I know i will make it cos since i dropped the God factor, I STARTED USING MY HEAD AND TAKING RESPONSIBILITIES.

And i wish to meet a female atheist of my age self. . I'd love to date her. Lol

Thanks y'all for supporting. I just gained a family. I a ecstatic.

As for the smello called my friend, i hold no grudge, but i won't forget. I will make it on campus,be well know for good & flaunt my success. He didn't help me when i needed him most. . . Thanks all, i cant thank you enough. . . E be like say i won a GRAMMY

6 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 5:08pm On May 24, 2015
lol...nice one dekatron
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 24, 2015
Dekatron:
Good.Any body. . Pls try and read through, i suck at writting. Thanks

Lmao! We share a lot in common and I agree with all you said but this, I agree with most! tongue
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 6:50pm On May 24, 2015
DProDG:

Lmao! We share a lot in common and I agree with all you said but this, I agree with most! tongue
Hahahahahahahahaha mad man..
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 24, 2015
I think being able to share our religious experiences here's a great idea. I'll probably drop something you guys can relate to here every once in a while.

Although you guys have said everything I wanted to say already, I'll just go ahead and reiterate anyway.

I don't think one's religion or religious stance goes far enough to define him/her. Sure you could be influenced a bit but, it's hardly ever the most important attribute. I don't think anyone has to openly identify as an atheist. Most times, it's people who newly lost their religion that feel the need to do so, but, eventually you'll get used to keeping it to yourself and tolerating Christians/Muslims annoying proselytizing.

I only ever talk about religion on NL and occasionally on social media. My family is mostly Christian and my closest friends are a mix of Muslims and Christians but luckily enough they've got a secular mindset(mostly). They actually don't know that I'm a devil-worshipping baby-eating atheist but acknowledge I'm extremely not superstitious. I guess it's all about who you hang with. Anyone who puts religion before humanity is not worth calling a friend.

Sure, I think we should advocate science, reason and logic and stand up to religious bigotry but there's always time for that, as John said...

johnydon22:

We were all born into a very religiously sophisticated society ladened with blatant superstitions and sometimes nonsensical beliefs, so we don't expect that to change in a second. the more time goes the more ideas change.

So please focus more on your studies and well being than discussing your ideologies with people whom you know might be a potential threat to your well being.

When you feel alone, just hop on in here, you can always find like minded people... smiley

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 24, 2015
Liekiller:

That just goes to show how extreme things have gotten in naija. What can you expect in a society that absolutely demands females to put their religious bigotry on display?
Honestly, I'd say the society is quite liberal now. I say I'm atheist and nobody even blinks. I think the Nigerian female, living in Nigeria, just isn't capable of true atheism/agnosticsm. I don't mean she lacks the boldness to come out. She just isn't genuinely able to process the concept in it's entirety. It's too tedious. Too fatalistic.
And in this crippling economy, who needs all that extra work for the mind?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Liekiller(f): 8:24pm On May 24, 2015
davien:
They'd be branded as feminists who are always seeking to be superior to men....that ideology has been going on for a very long time....

Yes they would. However this is all based on an extremely wrong idea of feminism. The word is used as an insult in naija even though nobody knows what it's all about. Feminism is certainly NOT about hating men or seeking superiority.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 24, 2015
BoboYekini:
Honestly, I'd say the society is quite liberal now. I say I'm atheist and nobody even blinks. I think the Nigerian female, living in Nigeria, just isn't capable of true atheism/agnosticsm. I don't mean she lacks the boldness to come out. She just isn't genuinely able to process the concept in it's entirety. It's too tedious. Too fatalistic.
And in this crippling economy, who needs all that extra work for the mind?

Wtf man. Might not have been intentional but that was sorta sexist. You're pretty much referring to women as dumb kids. Atheism is not some sorta complex or deep philosophical stand point. It's simply escaping indoctrination.

I would say however that most women do not openly identify as atheists for the same reason they do not say, participate actively in politics, simply lack of interest.

I don't know how rejecting the poor concept of gods can be more 'tedious' on a woman.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 24, 2015
DProDG:

Wtf man. Might not have been intentional but that was sorta sexist. You're pretty much referring to women as dumb kids. Atheism is not some sorta complex or deep philosophical stand point. It's simply escaping indoctrination.

I would say however that most women do not openly identify as atheists for the same reason they do not say, participate actively in politics, simply lack of interest.

I don't know how rejecting the poor concept of gods can be more 'tedious' on a woman.
I would rate the typical (Nigerian)woman only a tad above kids, when its got to do with risk and inventiveness. Yes, that's the term I was looking for - Risk-taking. Atheism, above all, is a risk. A lack of daring always presents as 'simply lack of interest'. Which is why women don't take active part in politics.
No sexist, it is what it is.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 12:31am On May 25, 2015
Dekatron:

The mistake you made was telling ANYBODY that has ears that you're an atheist. Things are not done that way in the world, especially Nigeria. Most Nigerians are barbaric, which is evident in this forum. People result to abuses at every divergence in opinion, which is not right. You shouldn't have told all your friends that are an atheist. You should have only discussed with the ones among them that is open minded, based on your judgement. So people are psychopathic in and they would hide under the umbrella of religion to harm you, so try to restrain your ideologies.

Now to my suggestion, you have to "romance" your friends -- you need them. First start being jovial and generous to those of them you think that are open minded. Avoid arguing with them by all means. Even if it is by leaving their vicinity temporarily. Greet others at a distance. Things would fall in a manageable place as time goes on. Next time try to be political in your actions. Follow them to any church programme they invite you to, if you are chanced. It would further foster your relationship with them.

As for your parents, I would advise you to stay calm at home and do all they do with them. Remember to behave like a Roman once in you are in Rome. But you doing things outside your home for the sake of your mum is not right, according to me. You have your freewill to exercise. Even your wife wouldn't be happy with you when she hears your remote is with your mum.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by colored(m): 9:44am On May 25, 2015
Mr dekatron what a touchy story you have. I don't think it's wise letting your parents know, not even when you become a graduate since you did mention how much you love your parents and wouldn't want to put them through emotional and psychological trauma. my parents don't know I'm not a Christian and I ain't planning on letting them know anytime soon cos I know the animosity it gon create between us, so I do every typical thing a Christian does... if ur friend can't accept u for who u are, then I think you should boycott him! will talk more later. my battery's about to die!
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 04, 2015
Pheww... Page 8. Still nothing inspiring here. undecided
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by kobosmalls: 12:28am On Aug 17, 2015
I was born into a family of Jehovahs Witnesses! Thank God(lol) im 5 feet tall. I prayed all day and wept all night for god to make me grow an inch more but nothing happened until i was 23 years old and nothing still happened. I knew i am short because of my genetic make-up but i was always taught from the bible that God works miracles so i tried to pray my way out of dwarfism. After prayer showed me how useless and absolutely time wasting it is, my reason kicked in and all these questions started popping up every second in my head and i had answers to them at once. These answers were too convincing,obvious,common sense,reasonable and most of all trruth as they were all practicle even during arguments with over zealous religious folks.i lost every fear of the so-called God and religion. I became free and happy. I accepted my size as an example of God not creating man in his image which should be be only pretty or ugly, tall or short, white or black but not both at once. If God created us in his image whence comes variations in intelligence,physiological appearance etc. I never hid my disbelief in God at all, not to anyone. This came with alot of stigmatization and hatred from people that i gave reasons for my way of thought even when i present arguments with strong points and evidence. Most of them said that im a mad man. I kept asking how somehow who rejects believe in something that is not tangible and has no proof of existence whatsoever could be mad while adults who believe in a bearded old man living in the sky whom theyve never encountered in any way let alone seen are the sane ones. Its inconcievable how retarded childhood indoctrination has made man. Im a very proud ATHEIST. Its not easy to break free from the shackles of religion especially the unnecesary fear that God who is not even real will punish us if we leave his religion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by kobosmalls: 1:08am On Aug 17, 2015
Wanna make a christian stutter? Ask them to explain what Their almighty Jesus meant when he was telling his followers in Luke 19:27. "But i tell you truly,there are some standing here who shall not taste death til they see the kingdom of God." Those people have all died a long time ago and yet the kingdom is held up in a heavy traffic.
Judges 1:19 shows how powerless this God is. Just read it.
Leviticus 21:16-24. This is the most disturbing amongst these three ive cited here. Here God instructs moses to tell Aaron that any man with defects including dwarfism,eye problems,short limbs,hunch back etc should not approach his alter. and that if they approach this alter they will profane it beacause they have defects. imagine a God who rejects his "perfect" creature and labels them defected.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by kobosmalls: 3:27am On Aug 17, 2015
to the religious troll who writes thoughtless comments about where god made mistakes in the bible and where he or it disappointed anyone who puts their trust in him. you muust be too blind or too slow to see the answers urself.

Read Genesis 6:6. Your bible said god regreted creating man. when u have regrets it means youve made mistakes.

1kings 19:4-14. elijah got his fair share of disappointment here and even asked to die.

common mehn, the bible is full of sh1t for real. imagine telling u that men lived up to 900 years old then when life expectancy was low. no medical care,wild animals roaming everywhere,barbaric men killing each other and their useless wars. ask urself why it was only in the bible that people lived for that long. Why dont man live up to even 300 years now? These lies are too obvious, its not even worth arguing. just ask urself the questions and the answers will show up.

you dont need to study rocket science to know that the story of Jonah was total bull honkey. for Gods(lol) sake how did he breath inside the fish belly for that long. oh its a miracle, i know its ur easiest escape. Then by that miracle logic one should be able to pray and a cellphone appears from nothing.
Grow up people, there is definitely no God and the bible is the last book you should go to if u seek answers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by lepasharon(f): 5:45am On Aug 29, 2015
kobosmalls:
I was born into a family of Jehovahs Witnesses! Thank God(lol) im 5 feet tall. I prayed all day and wept all night for god to make me grow an inch more but nothing happened until i was 23 years old and nothing still happened. I knew i am short because of my genetic make-up but i was always taught from the bible that God works miracles so i tried to pray my way out of dwarfism. After prayer showed me how useless and absolutely time wasting it is, my reason kicked in and all these questions started popping up every second in my head and i had answers to them at once. These answers were too convincing,obvious,common sense,reasonable and most of all trruth as they were all practicle even during arguments with over zealous religious folks.i lost every fear of the so-called God and religion. I became free and happy. I accepted my size as an example of God not creating man in his image which should be be only pretty or ugly, tall or short, white or black but not both at once. If God created us in his image whence comes variations in intelligence,physiological appearance etc. I never hid my disbelief in God at all, not to anyone. This came with alot of stigmatization and hatred from people that i gave reasons for my way of thought even when i present arguments with strong points and evidence. Most of them said that im a mad man. I kept asking how somehow who rejects believe in something that is not tangible and has no proof of existence whatsoever could be mad while adults who believe in a bearded old man living in the sky whom theyve never encountered in any way let alone seen are the sane ones. Its inconcievable how retarded childhood indoctrination has made man. Im a very proud ATHEIST. Its not easy to break free from the shackles of religion especially the unnecesary fear that God who is not even real will punish us if we leave his religion.

It is the Lord's desire that you be short, he has a special plan for you with that height dont kick against it. He works in mysterious ways, trust Him.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Chizzled06(m): 9:57pm On Aug 31, 2015
Brought up in a Christian home, it's been a long and difficult road to freedom from indoctrination.

I've finally found a reasonable explanation to the question of where we came from and how it all started.
The ignorance of man created religion, the intelligence of man is calculated to destroy it.

The awful part is, it seems like while the rest of the world is getting cured of this illness, Nigerians are drowning deeper in their reformed model of Christianity

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by bingbagbo(m): 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
PEACE!
AMEN!!
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 11:00pm On Aug 31, 2015
Chizzled06:
Brought up in a Christian home, it's been a long and difficult road to freedom from indoctrination.

I've finally found a reasonable explanation to the question of where we came from and how it all started.
The ignorance of man created religion, the intelligence of man is calculated to destroy it.

The awful part is, it seems like while the rest of the world is getting cured of this illness, Nigerians are drowning deeper in their reformed model of Christianity
Hhmmm the bolded caught my interest, i am actually imagining how you got to know, knowing surely you weren't there. .

I would love to hear the thrilling details bro. . tell me!
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Chizzled06(m): 11:42pm On Aug 31, 2015
johnydon22:
Hhmmm the bolded caught my interest, i am actually imagining how you got to know, knowing surely you weren't there. .

I would love to hear the thrilling details bro. . tell me!

Science; Archeology, Paleontology, Physics, Cosmology, Astronomy. Too much to fit into these boxes. But there's enough information out there if you're truly interested. Educate yourself.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 11:49pm On Aug 31, 2015
Chizzled06:

Science; Archeology, Paleontology, Physics, Cosmology, Astronomy. Too much to fit into these boxes. But there's enough information out there if you're truly interested. Educate yourself.
You said you now know where we came from. . Just give me a little of the details not list out science disciplines for me
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Chizzled06(m): 12:03am On Sep 01, 2015
johnydon22:
You said you now know where we came from. . Just give me a little of the details not list out science disciplines for me

Okay I need you to be specific. Are you talking origin of the human form as we currently exist? Origin of life on earth? Formation of earth? Formation of our sun? Formation of our galaxy? Origin of atoms/elements? The "big bang"?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 12:08am On Sep 01, 2015
Chizzled06:

Okay I need you to be specific. Are you talking origin of the human form as we currently exist? Origin of life on earth? Formation of earth? Formation of our sun? Formation of our galaxy? Origin of atoms/elements? The "big bang"?
Lets start with "How life began smiley
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Chizzled06(m): 12:21am On Sep 01, 2015
johnydon22:
Lets start with "How life began smiley

Earliest form of microscopic life on earth dates back 3.5 billions years. Specific Chemical and Boilogical evolution that led to this are still being investigated.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by bxcode(m): 8:31am On Sep 01, 2015
Happy New month peoplecheesy

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Humblebloke(m): 11:22pm On Sep 01, 2015
I'm an agnostic Deist.....

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by johnydon22(m): 11:30pm On Sep 01, 2015
Humblebloke:
I'm an agnostic Deist.....
Hhmmm nice one. . . How do people around you cope with your position seeing you do not share their theistic or religious sentiments?

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by Humblebloke(m): 12:11am On Sep 02, 2015
johnydon22:
Hhmmm nice one. . . How do people around you cope with your position seeing you do not share their theistic or religious sentiments?

You know how it is..... The society is sick, you automatically become the devil in disguise

You ask questions about the fallacies in their supposedly holy books....... They can't provide reasonable answers and they insist you keep faith

Most of my my mates know where my *faith* lies....

My parents are yet to know tho'..... Perhaps, I'm gonna tell them later on.......
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by herald9: 12:17am On Sep 02, 2015
Registers*
Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by simplex2: 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2016
What's the common question peeps ask you when they learn you are not a Christian/Muslim?
For me, I get these two a lot:

1. Who created you?
2. Where do you think you will go when you die?

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by JustStardust: 4:49pm On May 07, 2016
simplex2:
What's the common question peeps ask you when they learn you are not a Christian/Muslim?
For me, I get these two a lot:

1. Who created you?
2. Where do you think you will go when you die?

1. No one as far as I Can tell. Am a product of billions of years of evolution.

2. My body will rot and I will be another contribution to the nitrogen and carbon cycle and my consciousness dies with me.

Actually we know how difficult it is for people to tolerate such answers grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. by ilovetheline: 8:22pm On Jun 04, 2016
Are we still running?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Welcome To E - Grace Convention 2013 (Day 3) / If Your Bride Price Is Not Paid You Can Never See God- Female Preacher(video) / Funny Names Of Nigerian Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.