Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,038 members, 7,799,524 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? (6207 Views)

List Of Roads To Be Constructed In 2017 Budget / GEJ Has Constructed 25,000KM Of Roads...what A Lie! / List Of Roads Lagos State Govt. Has Scheduled For Repairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? by Nobody: 12:42am On Feb 20, 2015
9jatriot:

Which of those 12 universities is up to the standard of the ones you went to as bad as those ones were? Which of the 12 universities will you send your child to (I want a name of the particular school). Tell me what YOUwin does that Bank of Industry is not equipped to do and how many direct and indirect jobs were created. juxtapose that with the telecoms industry that created direct and indirect jobs and the bank reconsolidation that led to a lot of banks having to recruit to meet the demands.
Standard is both a process and a destination. The 12 new universities are all ongoing projects. They may not attain the standard of Harvard and Cambridge but with better funding (which you can't deny they are getting if you are following emerging trends in the education sector) they will improve standard. It's really foolish (not of you) to compare a universities establish only 4 years with places like UI (1948), UNN (1960), ABU (1962) etc. These new universities have to take off first, get infrastructures needed determined by the resources available. The incontrovertible fact is that the schools have taken off and have increased both admission and employment spaces for Nigerians. At the moment thousands of Nigerians are admitted into those schools and as to which of it I will send my child to, I can tell you any if them even if my children are up to university going age.
For YOUWIN while I do not have the exact number of jobs created, it is without doubt really that jobs have been created. I know many who have benefited from the programme and many I have followed and it has been a story of success. A woman I know has established a rice farm with the support of YOUWIN and she is employing about 7 farm hands as I write. Another I know has established a furniture construction business with YOUWIN assistance and has about 10 workers employed.
Re: Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? by 9jatriot(m): 8:12am On Feb 20, 2015
APContherun:

Standard is both a process and a destination. The 12 new universities are all ongoing projects. They may not attain the standard of Harvard and Cambridge but with better funding (which you can't deny they are getting if you are following emerging trends in the education sector) they will improve standard. It's really foolish (not of you) to compare a universities establish only 4 years with places like UI (1948), UNN (1960), ABU (1962) etc. These new universities have to take off first, get infrastructures needed determined by the resources available. The incontrovertible fact is that the schools have taken off and have increased both admission and employment spaces for Nigerians. At the moment thousands of Nigerians are admitted into those schools and as to which of it I will send my child to, I can tell you any if them even if my children are up to university going age.
For YOUWIN while I do not have the exact number of jobs created, it is without doubt really that jobs have been created. I know many who have benefited from the programme and many I have followed and it has been a story of success. A woman I know has established a rice farm with the support of YOUWIN and she is employing about 7 farm hands as I write. Another I know has established a furniture construction business with YOUWIN assistance and has about 10 workers employed.

Well articulated response, however critics will tell you that the problem of education in Nigeria is not the number of universities but the quality. If universities have been complaining that they are understaffed, a more purposeful leader who does not want to use a university sited as an election mantra would have tried to close that gap first. A lot of departments in our universities cannot get accreditation because of no facilities. Now note that NUC's interpretation of facilities is a far cry from the international acclaim standards, yet our universities cannot meet these abriefed standards yet the cosmetic solution to such a problem was to open more glorified secondary school just to be able to say I built such and such universities. There are those who say that Nigeria needs more of technical education to meet with the shortfall of our attempt at industrialization however that is a topic for another day. Do not forget that ASUU were on strike for a greater part of last year for unpaid allowances and other demands. Part of ASUU demands is facilities. You cannot imagine a physics, chemistry, engineering and other professional departments not having laboratories. So building schools just to have an election slogan is self serving and not a hallmark of a real leader.

As for YOUWIN, the official number is 5400 jobs. My question remains, what is the gap that YOUWIN was designed to close that Bank of Industry is not empowered to do or National Directorate of Employment if not the usual cosmetic solutions of problems.
Re: Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
9jatriot:

Well articulated response, however critics will tell you that the problem of education in Nigeria is not the number of universities but the quality. If universities have been complaining that they are understaffed, a more purposeful leader who does not want to use a university sited as an election mantra would have tried to close that gap first. A lot of departments in our universities cannot get accreditation because of no facilities. Now note that NUC's interpretation of facilities is a far cry from the international acclaim standards, yet our universities cannot meet these abriefed standards yet the cosmetic solution to such a problem was to open more glorified secondary school just to be able to say I built such and such universities. There are those who say that Nigeria needs more of technical education to meet with the shortfall of our attempt at industrialization however that is a topic for another day. Do not forget that ASUU were on strike for a greater part of last year for unpaid allowances and other demands. Part of ASUU demands is facilities. You cannot imagine a physics, chemistry, engineering and other professional departments not having laboratories. So building schools just to have an election slogan is self serving and not a hallmark of a real leader.

As for YOUWIN, the official number is 5400 jobs. My question remains, what is the gap that YOUWIN was designed to close that Bank of Industry is not empowered to do or National Directorate of Employment if not the usual cosmetic solutions of problems.
I'm part of ASUU, I know the demands and I'm proud to inform you that those demands are being met. Not all of them will be met by the govt I can assure you but on funding we have good news to report. The govt has done a needs assessment of Nigerian teriary institutions and that has resulted to more funding. Take a trip round these universities and you will see needs assessment funded projects littered everywhere.
TETfund too has been repositioned to intervene in critical areas. Tertiary education is receiving more attention from Jonathan than any other. Like I said we shall get there if the current tempo is sustained.
Re: Has GEJ Really Constructed 25,000km Of Roads? by 9jatriot(m): 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
APContherun:

I'm part of ASUU, I know the demands and I'm proud to inform you that those demands are being met. Not all of them will be met by the govt I can assure you but on funding we have good news to report. The govt has done a needs assessment of Nigerian teriary institutions and that has resulted to more funding. Take a trip round these universities and you will see needs assessment funded projects littered everywhere.
TETfund too has been repositioned to intervene in critical areas. Tertiary education is receiving more attention from Jonathan than any other. Like I said we shall get there if the current tempo is sustained.

Ok, to preserve the identity of your location could you refer to a particular verifiable thing that you are sure of that has being done in at least 5 schools?? If possible, not buildings but laboratories and other facilities required for a proper institution. If you are okay with revealing ur location, you can use examples from your school too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Communal War Rages On; Nkerehi And Umuchukwu (a Village With Two Names) / Strengthening Nigeria-India Ties Is A Win-Win For All - Minister Of Industry / Tinubu Targets 18% GDP Growth In His First Budget As President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.