Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,972 members, 7,799,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. (2292 Views)

New Satelite And Rover (exomars) Launches To Mars (photos) / NASA Confirms Evidence That Liquid Water Flows On Today’s Mars / 100 People Agree To Go Live In Mars And Never Return To Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by TheFilmmaker: 11:35am On Feb 19, 2015
The Mars One mission aims to establish a colony on the red planet

It now has a list of 50 men and 50 women from an original 200,000 entries

US is best represented in the long-list, with 33 Americans vying to be part of the mission

The 33 US residents are ranging in age from 19 to 60

Some of the would-be astronauts are married with children, including one applicant with five kids

This will be cut to 40 in next stages, with four chosen for the first mission

One hundred brave souls from around the globe are now vying for a one-way ticket to Mars, knowing they will never return from the Red Planet.

The Dutch-based Mars One project - which aims to send people to live on the faraway planet - has whittled down its shortlist of candidates from more than 200,000 to just 50 men and 50 women, a third of them Americans.

Among the array of science fanatics, Trekies, physics majors, engineers and doctors, there were also a few more surprising choices, including a singer who was doing a two-man show in New York at the time of his application for the program; an artist with a fascinating family connection to NASA; a mechanic from a remote part of Utah, and an aspiring novelist.

From this shortlist, a final crew of four will eventually be sent to Mars, scheduled to arrive in 2025 following a grueling seven-month journey from Earth.

Ready to go: Christopher Patil (first), 43, a scientific language editor, and Laurel Kaye, 20, a physics and pre-medicine student (right), are among 33 men and women from the US vying to take part in the Mars One mission scheduled for 2025.

Daredevils: Dan Carey (first), 53, is a computer programmer who describes himself as a husband, father and a child of the Space Age; Sue Ann Pien (2nd), 35, is a teacher who first fell in love with space as a child.

Among the 100 prospective Mars colonists, which hail from 40 countries, there are 33 US residents ranging in age from 19 to 60.
The American hopefuls come from all walks of life, including PhD students, engineers, artists, medical doctors, and even a singer and a workout trainer.
Out of the 33 men and women vying for the honors of traveling to Mars, half a dozen are over the age of 50, including a married father of five.
Mars One candidate Cody Reeder, 22, grew up on a remote ranch in Utah and currently works as a mechanic. In his mission profile, he writes that Mars will feel like home to him considering where he was brought up.

Andrew Tunks (first), 28, works in health care technology and in his free time is writing a novel. His goal in life is to reduce suffering in the world; Carmen Paul (2nd), 32, serves in the National Guard and is an avid techie. She writes: 'I could be the one setting up your Internet on Mars.

All in: Data analyst Yari Rodriguez, 27, said that going to Mars on a one-way ticket is like donating her body to science

It's been described as a 'suicidal mission'. Despite this, the Mars One project - which aims to send people to live on the red planet - has whittled down its shortlist of candidates from more than 200,000 to just 100. Pictured is an artist's impression of what a colony on Mars could look like.

While the majority of Nigerians still don't have access to common electricity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2957309/Meet-33-Americans-live-MARS-never-return-Mission-reveals-final-longlist-manned-one-way-journey-red-planet.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Caracta(f): 11:55am On Feb 19, 2015
How do we know they got there safely? Are they going to send e-mails or selfies?

Please don't go cry Earth will miss you.

Oh well...things we do for science.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by TheFilmmaker: 11:59am On Feb 19, 2015
Caracta:
How do we know they got there safely? Are they going to send e-mails or selfies?

Please don't go cry Earth will miss you.

Oh well...things we do for science.

To healtcare workers: please don't find a cure for ebola, you might die.
To chemists: please don't invent batteries, acid might kill you.
To the general: please don't do HIV test, you might lose your mind.
To cancer patients: please don't do chemotherapy, it renders organs useless.
To heart disease patients: please don't do surgery, you might die.

The shallowness of the Nigerian mentality is bottomless grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Caracta(f): 12:07pm On Feb 19, 2015
^^^

You need to work on your sense of humor. Life is too simple to get worked up over nothing.

I don't think anyone condemned the trip. And I disagree that the Nigerian mentality is shallow simply because we haven't made it out of planet Earth.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Caracta(f): 12:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by UjSizzle(f): 1:13pm On Feb 19, 2015
Why do the men look like women? undecided

Good luck to them. With the rapid depleting resources of Earth, we need to ship some people off to other habitable planets smiley
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by adexsimply(m): 1:34pm On Feb 19, 2015
I would do anything to join those guys!! Mars?? wow!!!! cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by adexsimply(m): 1:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
UjSizzle:
Why do the men look like women? undecided

Good luck to them. With the rapid depleting resources of Earth, some of us need to be shipped off to other habitable planets smiley
cool cool cool
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Caracta(f): 1:39pm On Feb 19, 2015
adexsimply:
I would do anything to join those guys!! Mars?? wow!!!! cry cry cry

I'll miss you. sad

Byeeeeeee.

I hope you can Skype there too.
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by daveP(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
Hmm! (wondering and pondering)

i give them 29-64days, theyl yearn for noise and honks from cars and trailers. Noise is one of the things that humans cant avoid/do without(noise in diff degrees)

Lalasticlala!!

Need a salute smiley
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Bimffo(m): 6:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
Please where can I apply?? and How..?

I wanna take part in this Mission..

Seriously, nothing can be worse than Nigeria..

I am tired of hearing about Bombs and how the military is killing 3,000 Boko haram atm, 5000 tommorow and still this Boko haram peeps dont reduce.. sad

Please I wanna go to Mars.. Please and Please..

2 Likes

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by UjSizzle(f): 7:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
Bimffo:
Please where can I apply?? and How..?

I wanna take part in this Mission..

Seriously, nothing can be worse than Nigeria..

I am tired of hearing about Bombs and how the military is killing 3,000 Boko haram atm, 5000 tommorow and still this Boko haram peeps dont reduce.. sad

Please I wanna go to Mars.. Please and Please..
Did they mention there is no return ticket? smiley You'll have to live the rest of your life as martian.

Ishilove, Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy... fp please.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Blakjewelry(m): 8:22pm On Feb 19, 2015
I don't think that project is going to see the light of day
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by prof800(m): 1:13am On Feb 20, 2015
Blakjewelry:
I don't think that project is going to see the light of day
Doubting Thomas.

100 years ago in1915, space travel was only science fiction. Don't underestimate what can happen 100 years from now in 2115 or 10 years from now in 2025.

I only wonder what type of phones and tv we would be using by then.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Blakjewelry(m): 8:44am On Feb 20, 2015
prof800:

Doubting Thomas.

100 years ago in1915, space travel was only science fiction. Don't underestimate what can happen 100 years from now in 2115 or 10 years from now in 2025.

I only wonder what type of phones and tv we would be using by then.
Sorry bro, it is not a Thomas issue. if you want I can engage you on why it will be impossible for man to colonize Mars. Why do you think scientist are looking for a planet that share similarities with earth, going there is not the problem but living there will not possible.
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by davien(m): 6:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
Humanity may colonize the entire galaxy one day or atleast some parts of it... smiley

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by TheFilmmaker: 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2015
Caracta:
^^^

You need to work on your sense of humor. Life is too simple to get worked up over nothing.

I don't think anyone condemned the trip. And I disagree that the Nigerian mentality is shallow simply because we haven't made it out of planet Earth.

The bolded is fallacy. You and I clearly know that.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Caracta(f): 12:38pm On Feb 21, 2015
TheFilmmaker:

The bolded is fallacy. You and I clearly know that

For you maybe tongue. Mine isn't cheesy
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Feraz(m): 11:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Sorry bro, it is not a Thomas issue. if you want I can engage you on why it will be impossible for man to colonize Mars. Why do you think scientist are looking for a planet that share similarities with earth, going there is not the problem but living there will not possible.
Mind telling me the reason for the bolded? Which other planet possess similar characteristics with Mars and has been said to be able to habit humans? The only reason why I think living there will not be possible for now is because the gases needed to survive I do not think is there hence why they are looking at the possibility of terraforming Mars (which by the way is very very difficult and will take some decades if not centuries to achieve).

UjSizzle:

Did they mention there is no return ticket? smiley You'll have to live the rest of your life as martian.
Ishilove, Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy... fp please.
I hope he gains the ability to shapeshift and read minds!! grin

Lalasticlala and Obinoscopy, ain't this thread worthy of FP?

1 Like

Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Canme4u(m): 11:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
Feraz:
Mind telling me the reason for the bolded? Which other planet possess similar characteristics with Mars and has been said to be able to habit humans? The only reason why I think living there will not be possible for now is because the gases needed to survive I do not think is there hence why they are looking at the possibility of terraforming Mars (which by the way is very very difficult and will take some decades if not centuries to achieve).

I hope he gains the ability to shapeshift and read minds!!
grin

Lalasticlala, ain't this thread worthy of FP?
grin grin grin grin grin
lolz at the bolded.
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2015
Wait, what? Donating her body to science?
That sucks man.
Anyway, wish them good luck. . . .or so . . ,
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Please, engage me instead. I think it will happen. And I . . . and lot's of other fellow scientists know why. So, what's your issue?
Ahem, sorry. What's your opinion?
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by Cpolicy(m): 1:00am On Mar 19, 2015
I know say naija no go dey dere
Re: Meet The 33 Americans Who Could Live On MARS - And Never Return. by ojotu4real(m): 8:36pm On Mar 22, 2015
when is d application closing ? undecided

(1) (Reply)

How To Unlock Zte Mf 192 Usb Modem / Outbyte PC Repair 1.5.2.4526 Crack With License Key Free Download / Most Interesting Computer Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.