Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? (25882 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 19, 2015
I was thinking today, after seeing an igbo family of 10 and there was no single black person among them. Are Igbos really Africans? Why are more than 50% of them yellow? What is the cause of this anomally in the igbos? It is very strange that a part of Nigeria are not always black. I am not trying to abuse them but I just need to understand more about thier origin?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by ucheheart(m): 2:11pm On Feb 19, 2015
Our fore fathers were white men before they came to africa then sunlight tanned their skins.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by henryvirus(m): 2:18pm On Feb 19, 2015
Laffta wan tear my head....lol@d 1st poster. I have always wondered aswell, why are most of them lightskinned.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Kagarko(m): 2:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
Possibly they are linked with white ancestors.

Enviromental (sunlight) and chemical (creams) factors could be another reason.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by menix(m): 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2015
D igboz re part of isrealites dat got missing in d wilderness.
Igboz re descendants of moses.

Only winches frm egyptian 9ja will quote mii wrong.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by iamodenigbo1(m): 3:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
aproko
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by hunter21(m): 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
Im thinking Igbos and akwa ibom descended from the the yellow and red races, probably why they have the same "chi" concept as the chinese

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by pazienza(m): 3:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
Most Igbos are dark skinned. Igbos come in different hues, from very light skinned to very dark skinned, it's a spectrum, with many Igbos falling in the center of the spectrum ie light brown, and few at the extreme ends of the spectrum ie very Light skinned and very dark skinned.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by macof(m): 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Actually most Igbos are dark skinned but yes I get ur point....there are many light skinned Igbos but it could be from a particular type of food consumed and traditional make up of those days...
I heard the Akans had a make up system that made them shine but darker..no wonder they look so black today grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by macof(m): 6:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
hunter21:
Im thinking Igbos and akwa ibom descended from the the yellow and red races, probably why they have the same "chi" concept as the chinese
All Africans have the chi concept

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by hunter21(m): 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
macof:

All Africans have the chi concept
the idea of what chi refers to is present in all cultures as prana, reiki, emi etc but using the word "chi" is unique to both Chinese and igbo

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
I think in all the forested and riverine areas(SE Nigeria) they don't have as much sunlight as say Sudan, so that could be a reason.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by macof(m): 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
hunter21:

the idea of what chi refers to is present in all cultures as prana, reiki, emi etc but using the word "chi" is unique to both Chinese and igbo

I think Chinese actually call it Ki..it's the translation issues that usually render it "chi"
But true the concepts are similar...btw is the bold Yoruba? If yes I think the concept best fits Ori nt emi
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by elopee3000(m): 11:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
I think is cus of d food they eat like white akpu white soup called nsala white tapioca called abacha cheesy while d yorubas love amala and ewedu so they re more darker hausas don't ve soup only suya cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
aim5:
I think in all the forested and riverine areas(SE Nigeria) they don't have as much sunlight as say Sudan, so that could be a reason.

This is most probably the most important single reason.

A second reason could be selective breeding.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
hunter21:

Forget the similarity in sound. The Igbo 'chi' has more in common with (and probably shares a common theological/philosophical origin with) the Edo 'ehi' and the Yoruba 'ori' than with anything Chinese.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
Radoillo:

This is most probably the most important single reason.

A second reason could be selective breeding.

Yup. I see little to no evidence of European admixture in Igbos. Most lightskin Igbos I see have full lips, tightly coiled hair,etc. And could you elaborate more on the selective breeding theory.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
Radoillo:

Forget the similarity in sound. The Igbo 'chi' has more in common with (and probably shares a common theological/philosophical origin with) the Edo 'ehi' and the Yoruba 'ori' than with anything Chinese.

Ehi means angel or spirit so maybe there is a connection.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 20, 2015
aim5:

Yup. I see little to no evidence of European admixture in Igbos. Most lightskin Igbos I see have full lips, tightly coiled hair,etc. And could you elaborate more on the selective breeding theory.

What I mean is: perhaps light-skinned girls were viewed as more desirable, and thus were more successful than darker-skinned girls in securing sex partners (husbands). The general effect on the population would be more proliferation of light-skinned people/offspring.

This is just a theory, however. I have no idea whether Africans or Igbos preferred light-skinned women in the past before contact with European ideas of what constitutes beauty.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
Radoillo:

What I mean is: perhaps light-skinned girls were viewed as more desirable, and thus were more successful than darker-skinned girls in securing sex partners (husbands). The general effect on the population would be more proliferation of light-skinned people/offspring.

This is just a theory, however. I have no idea whether Africans or Igbos preferred light-skinned women in the past before contact with European ideas of what constitutes beauty.

Hmm that could be true. But part of me still wonders whether or not the Europeans had a role to play in this.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 20, 2015
aim5:

Hmm that could be true. But part of me still wonders whether or not the Europeans had a role to play in this.

I do not see Europeans playing any role in it. With the exception of a few towns along the Niger, and the southern fringes of Igboland, the Europeans did not penetrate the Igbo interior before the 20th century. If the mixing with Europeans happened in that century (20th century) many Igbos living today will have 'half-caste' grandparents. How many Igbos living today have half-caste grandparents?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
Radoillo:

I do not see Europeans playing any role in it. With the exception of a few towns along the Niger, and the southern fringes of Igboland, the Europeans did not penetrate the Igbo interior before the 20th century. If the mixing with Europeans happened in that century (20th century) many Igbos living today will have 'half-caste' grandparents. How many Igbos living today have half-caste grandparents?

You have a point, plus like I stated earlier, Igbos as whole don't have Caucasian features.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 12:11am On Feb 21, 2015
macof:
Actually most Igbos are dark skinned but yes I get ur point....there are many light skinned Igbos but it could be from a particular type of food consumed and traditional make up of those days...
I heard the Akans had a make up system that made them shine but darker..no wonder they look so black today grin
Interesting. I am not aware of a special food or traditional cosmetics that will give one a lighter complexion?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 12:19am On Feb 21, 2015
aim5:
Maybe we could blame it on the ecosystem. But South east Nigeria is not the only forested/tropical region in West Africa. I would say Igbos were just designed to be like that. Am light skinned,but i have very lightskinned relatives with light blue/honey coloured eyes. Sometimes i just want to ask them if they are truly Nigerians,lol.
I guess we have been conditioned to believe that light skin is a product of racial admixture. The truth is that Africans/Nigerians/Igbos come in different skin tones.
The most native igbo word for a light skin is 'Ocha'. It does not seem like a recently formed word to me. In the absence of any DNA discrepancies,i would say the Ocha/Light skin has always been part of the Igbo people.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 12:30am On Feb 21, 2015
In terms of facial phetotypes,i noticed that Yorubas have Higher cheek bones and Mongoliod eyes. Is it just me or....?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 12:32am On Feb 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Maybe we could blame it on the ecosystem. But South east Nigeria is not the only forested/tropical region in West Africa. I would say Igbos were just designed to be like that. Am very light skinned,but i have very lightskinned relatives with light blue/honey coloured eyes. Sometimes i just want to ask them if they are truly Nigerians,lol.
I guess we have been conditioned to believe that light skin is a product of racial admixture. The truth is that Africans/Nigerians/Igbos come in different skin tones.
The most native word for a light skin is 'Ocha'. It does not seem like a recently formed

I know. That's why I'm 75% sure that Igbos aren't mixed as whole. I also know that SE Nigeria isn't the only forested area in Africa, but one thing I've noticed is that in those forested places, the people are a little lighter than most Senegalese.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
In terms of facial phetotypes,i noticed that Yorubas have Higher cheek bones and Mongoliod eyes. Is it just me or....?

Those Asian cat eyes... you're not the only one who sees it hehe.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Eke40seven(m): 5:11am On Feb 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Yoruba and epicantic folds? or even the sexier almond eyes? I don't really see that often and I have lived in the south west all my life, however, this is far more common, I.e the almond eye phenomenon, among the Northerners, especially the females and very few males.
The Yoruba have the typical 'Sudanese' look.

For the light skinned Igbo, chemical or creams must be out of it because colour is skin deep (no puns intended) even if one bleaches one's skin, it can never be transfered to one's offspring. A more likely explanation would be environment, adaptation, ancestry or even the kind of work our ancestors did, whether it exposed them to the hot weather conditions of Africa.
For the Jewish origin talks, I believe its downright ridiculous and for an educated person to remotely believe in such theory with no evidence whatsoever whether in Language (no single plausible trace), culture, religion or communal existence is completely marvelling . Our ancestors never even talked about it neither is there any trace in our folklore or in the archaic terms in our language or etymology.

And yes we have a larger spectrum of skin and even eye colour than most groups in Nigeria. However, its tilted more towards the chocolatey, caramel to the very light skinned, with corresponding eye colours.

I have made a long comment, I just hope I made sense.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:58am On Feb 21, 2015
Eke40seven:

Yoruba and epicantic folds? or even the sexier almond eyes? I don't really see that often and I have lived in the south west all my life, however, this is far more common, I.e the almond eye phenomenon, among the Northerners, especially the females and very few males.
The Yoruba have the typical 'Sudanese' look.

For the light skinned Igbo, chemical or creams must be out of it because colour is skin deep (no puns intended) even if one bleaches ones skin, it can never be transfered to ones offspring. A more likely explanation would be environmental, adaptation, ancestry or even the kind of work our ancestors did, whether it exposed them to the hot weather conditions of Africa.
For the Jewish origin talks, I believe its downright ridiculous and for an educated person to remotely believe in such theory with no evidence whatsoever whether in Language (no single plausible trace), culture, religion or communal existence is completely marvelling . Our ancestors never even talked about it neither is there any trace in our folklore or in the archaic terms in our language or etymology.

And yes we have a larger spectrum of skin and even eye colour than most groups in Nigeria. However, its tilted more towards the chocolatey, caramel to the very light skinned, with corresponding eye colours.

I have made a long comment, I just hope I made sense.
Yes,you made sense. I never mentioned any external influence(Jewish). My stand is that South Eastern ecosystem is not unique to Western Africa and there is n't any Dna result pointing to muiltiracial/Caucausoid origins. So we can say that the Yellow skin thing is just part of the igbo makeup. You probably did not go through my post properly.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 21, 2015
Marsatto:
I was thinking today, after seeing an igbo family of 10 and there was no single black person among them. Are Igbos really Africans? Why are more than 50% of them yellow? What is the cause of this anomally in the igbos? It is very strange that a part of Nigeria are not always black. I am not trying to abuse them but I just need to understand more about thier origin?

Really?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Eke40seven(m): 8:51am On Feb 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Yes,you made sense. I never mentioned any external influence(Jewish). My stand is that South Eastern ecosystem is not unique to Western Africa and there is n't any Dna result pointing to muiltiracial/Caucausoid origins. So we can say that the Yellow skin thing is just part of the igbo makeup. You probably did not go through my post properly.

Don't mind the other replies in the subsequent paragraphs, they were not directed to your post but other comments. I only targeted to reply your quote with the first paragraph and address other issued raised in the subsequent paragraph.

I couldn't just keep my mouth shut, or will I say put my fingers to rest in this case.

Good points you raised and I admire your deep knowledge of these issues and the intelligent way you deal with them.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by macof(m): 10:04pm On Feb 21, 2015
I still maintain a type of food tho, maybe some vitamins... I remember one Imo girl, her parent were totally dark skinned but she was light - like Monalisa Chinda light skinned
And it happens often like this with Igbos

plus the OP's narration of a full family of light skins

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cultural-Political Attire From Different States / Who Are The Smartest Tribes In Nigeria? / Osole Owo Toje Gbewa Pelu Alajo To Daju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.