Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? (25914 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by bigfrancis21: 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2015
itstpia8:

Ojukwu (Igbo) also had a half Ethiopian daughter, not so?

How does this matter?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by itstpia8: 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

How does this matter?

his or her post referenced Igbos, and then he or she jumped to Yoruba.

doesn't make sense to me.

and doesn't Ojukwu have a half Ethiopian daughter?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by itstpia8: 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
kagari:

Fulanis are more chocolate creamy than been yellow. But i believe both can be categorized as been light skinned

Fulanis are dark skinned with Caucasian features.

If you know of any light skinned ones as a rote, they might be from specific regions.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2015
kagari:

Fulanis are more chocolate creamy than been yellow. But i believe both can be categorized as been light skinned

Don't you mean Fulanis are more light brown?
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by kagari: 4:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
itstpia8:

Fulanis are dark skinned with Caucasian features.

If you know of any light skinned ones as a rote, they might be from specific regions.
Man you mixing up traditional hausas with fulanis. Thay can be refered to be light skined but aint white or yellow. The igbos, akwa and calabar has the most yellowish / tanned red complexioned individuals in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by kagari: 4:37pm On Nov 18, 2015
Then for the igbos, anambra and enugu has more population of fair individuals and i mean light yellowish, not light ebony which the fulanis mostly have

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by kagari: 4:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
aim5:

Don't you mean Fulanis are more light brown?
Yea thats what i mean, for example nadia buhari abi buari the actress is quite different from zariah buhari the presidents daughter, but both are light skinned
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by bigfrancis21: 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2015
kagari:
Then for the igbos, anambra and enugu has more population of fair individuals and i mean light yellowish, not light ebony which the fulanis mostly have

Abia and Imo states have prevalence of such peoples as well. In my opinion, I think Imo, Abia have the highest concentrations, followed by Anambra/Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 18, 2015
kagari:

Yea thats what i mean, for example nadia buhari abi buari the actress is quite different from zariah buhari the presidents daughter, but both are light skinned

There's different levels of lightskin: yellowbone, redbone and light brown or caramel. And some people feel that caramel isn't really light.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by kagari: 9:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Abia and Imo states have prevalence of such peoples as well. In my opinion, I think Imo, Abia have the highest concentrations, followed by Anambra/Enugu.
My man, i am from Imo, my mum from anambra, i did my secondary schooling in abia, my university in enugu, i am well absorbed in these states. Imo and abia tends to slide in the dark skin/ caramel/ ebony than fair or yellowish. Anambra/enugu has more concentration of light skined/ fair individuals, ebony state is predominantly darkskined

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by somegirl1: 12:33am On Nov 19, 2015
kagari:

My man, i am from Imo, my mum from anambra, i did my secondary schooling in abia, my university in enugu, i am well absorbed in these states. Imo and abia tends to slide in the dark skin/ caramel/ ebony than fair or yellowish. Anambra/enugu has more concentration of light skined/ fair individuals, ebony state is predominantly darkskined

Not from my observation.
Imo, Abia and certain parts of Akwa Ibom have more lighter skinned people on the average.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
kagari:

It's the other way round,people from Imo/Abia tend to be lighter skinned than people from other parts of igboland.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:55pm On Nov 19, 2015
suyu:
Many of them have white ancestry
Igbos are just igbos and they share their dna with most West Africans. Even as an igbo, i get curious when i see folks that could pass as biracial.
We are just made like that.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by HugoChavezJr(m): 10:10pm On Nov 19, 2015
Even though Igbos are known for lightskin, they still have prominent Negroid features. So no, they aren't mixed at all.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by suyu: 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Igbos are just igbos and they share their dna with most West Africans. Even as an igbo, i get curious when i see folks that could pass as biracial.
We are just made like that.

can you explain this thread then of the Jewish ancestry claim that I have heard from some igbos on nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/226540/igbos-descendent-sudanese-igala-mixed
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by pleep(m): 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2015
It is some unique adaptation. SE Nigerians are unique people, there is no reason to assume mixture with other races.

Don't be a self hater

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by pleep(m): 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
suyu:

can you explain this thread then of the Jewish ancestry claim that I have heard from some igbos on nairaland

This baby is called Alam Musham Shekel-chukwo he was discovered in igboland wearing a woven kippa and speaking in the ancient Hebrew language. Some of what he has spoken has been recorded, written down in 3 ancient scrolls.

These writings are the foundation of the origin of the Igbo people in the land of Isreal.

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Eziokwu1: 2:47am On Nov 27, 2015
The title of this thread should rather be "Origin of light skin in many Igbos", not 'most Igbos'.
Majority of Igbos are not light skin.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by MayorofLagos(m): 3:45am On Nov 27, 2015
@OP

There is a skin disorder in the Ibo gene. Its related with a leprous mutation. Untriggered it surfaces mildly as a piedald patch or skin stains or discoloration around the brow, nose, lips, elbows, knuckles, knees, toes and so on... Fully blown it escalates to leprosy and disfigurement.

The yellowness you observe as prominent amongst Iboes is the foundation and a hint at this genetic disorder. Studies show 9 out of every 10 yellow Ibo will end either with the mild or exagerated form of the disease. Some start off with the mild form but left untreated degenerate into leprosy. Typically the yellowness begin to fade, replaced by a spread of the white patches and skin baldness around age 45.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by MayorofLagos(m): 3:52am On Nov 27, 2015
There's difference between light skin and yellow.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Nobody: 3:58am On Nov 27, 2015
MayorofLagos:
There's difference between light skin and yellow.

Elaborate please. Your previous write up was enlightening.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 4:33am On Nov 27, 2015
MayorofLagos:
@OP

There is a skin disorder in the Ibo gene. Its related with a leprous mutation. Untriggered it surfaces mildly as a piedald patch or skin stains or discoloration around the brow, nose, lips, elbows, knuckles, knees, toes and so on... Fully blown it escalates to leprosy and disfigurement.

The yellowness you observe as prominent amongst Iboes is the foundation and a hint at this genetic disorder. Studies show 9 out of every 10 yellow Ibo will end either with the mild or exagerated form of the disease. Some start off with the mild form but left untreated degenerate into leprosy. Typically the yellowness begin to fade, replaced by a spread of the white patches and skin baldness around age 45.
nonsense! Stupid comment!...what then can u say about ur Yoruba people who are as dark as burnt beans?. Their gene are perfect?. For d records....leprosy is very uncommon in igboland despite ages of yellow/light skinness.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:20am On Nov 27, 2015
MayorofLagos:
@OP

Pls don't write nonesense here!! This is entirely made up by tribalist like you. Igbo people are not the only light skin blacks on the face of the earth and leprosy is not common in igboland. People lose their tone due to years of toiling under the harsh sunlight. I'm yet to see a grown adult get leprosy,discoloured and disfigured in Igboland. Na wa o!

Take your ignorant unconfounded trash out of this thread.
Like i wrote earlier,non Igbos are so obsessed and fixated on light skin igbos till they start making up rubbish reasons for the existence of light skin among igbos.
This is the most stupidd comment i have read regarding light skin people in Africa.
Proudly Igbo and Proudly Light Skinned.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:23am On Nov 27, 2015
suyu:

Thank God you called it a ''claim''.
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by suyu: 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2015
pleep:

This baby is called Alam Musham Shekel-chukwo he was discovered in igboland wearing a woven kippa and speaking in the ancient Hebrew language. Some of what he has spoken has been recorded, written down in 3 ancient scrolls.

These writings are the foundation of the origin of the Igbo people in the land of Isreal.

hmm interesting
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by suyu: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Thank God you called it a ''claim''.

ok

a never ending debate
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Eke40seven(m): 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Pls don't write nonesense here!! This is entirely made up by tribalist like you. Igbo people are not the only light skin blacks on the face of the earth and leprosy is not common in igboland. People lose their tone due to years of toiling under the harsh sunlight. I'm yet to see a grown adult get leprosy,discoloured and disfigured in Igboland. Na wa o!

Like i wrote earlier,non Igbos are so obsessed and fixated on light skin igbos till they start making up rubbish reasons for the existence of light skin among igbos.
This is the most stupidd comment i have read regarding light skin people in Africa.
I'm even surprised that you would stoop to giving his comment a second look talkmore of spending precious minutes dignifying him with a reply. You should know by now that stupidity is a genetic disorder in many humans. What modern science can't find solution to. I agree with your earlier assertion that there are more light skinned people from Abia/Imo than from Anambara. I don't know much about Enugu though and I still believe that the jewish links are downright ridiculous.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by HugoChavezJr(m): 9:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Common sense would say that lightskinned blacks can get a bit darker if they work in the sun all day as farmers, blue collar workers or work in the market. I'm a prime example of that. I'm very very light naturally and I could pass for a latino, hence my username HugoChavezJr. But during my teenage years, I gained a bit of melanin working various blue collar jobs in my home town. Various Nigerians who have a brownish skintone got that tone as a result of increased exposure to the sun, but once they start to live a more comfortable life, their skin will naturally lighten up. Ever since I've been in Spain, my natural skintone has resurfaced. And as for Igbos developing leprosy, that's a bloody lie. I've seen many yellow and red Igbos who look healthy and normal, without any skin defects. MayorofLagos is just talking out of his a.ss.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

It's the other way round,people from Imo/Abia tend to be lighter skinned than people from other parts of igboland.
do u see how no anambra person bothered arguing with u on this matter. how did u know that there are more lighskin people in imo and abia than in anambra?
did u conduct any head count?
I have observed u on naira land and I find out that like most imo and abia folks u have that mentality that anambra people are cheats and are always priding themselves as kings over other igbos.
you always counter anything anambra....its not good to your health and Igbo unity.
here in anambra we give no damn about u guys..
Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:59am On Dec 01, 2015
Antivirus92:
do u see how no anambra person bothered arguing with u on this matter. how did u know that there are more lighskin people in imo and abia than in anambra?
did u conduct any head count?
I have observed u on naira land and I find out that like most imo and abia folks u have that mentality that anambra people are cheats and are always priding themselves as kings over other igbos.
you always counter anything anambra....its not good to your health and Igbo unity.
here in anambra we give no damn about u guys..
Same way i don't give a damn about you or where you come from!
Take away this your foolishh Anambra vs Imo and Abia mentality and judge issues without being overly clannish and sensitive. I have travelled all over igboland and i discovered that there are more light skin people in Imo,Abia down to Akwaibom and Calabar. This may be caused by environmental factors, because Imo,Abia etc are more closeted and fall under the heavy rain forest tropical region while Anambra and Enugu fall under subtropical savannah region.
It's quite difficult to argue with Yorubas and Non Igbos. I try as much as possible to defend my ethnic group in the face of tribalism and all sorts of misconception about Igbos on nairaland;it's even more difficult to defend Imo and Abia people from Fooolishh and Clannish Igbos like you.
What have i said wrong on this matter? I can't counter a false statement again? What i said was even acknowledged by many Igbos on this thread. Why do you have to single me out to display your prejudice against Imo/Abia people?
Let this be the last time you mention me as long as nairaland exist!

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:11am On Dec 01, 2015
Eke40seven:
I'm even surprised that you would stoop to giving his comment a second look talkmore of spending precious minutes dignifying him with a reply. You should know by now that stupidity is a genetic disorder in many humans. What modern science can't find solution to. I agree with your earlier assertion that there are more light skinned people from Abia/Imo than from Anambara. I don't know much about Enugu though and I still believe that the jewish links are downright ridiculous.
I rather stoop low and correct an erroneous assertion than let people come here and go off with the wrong impression. There is no point keeping quiet in this type of situation.
Well,i wasn't the one that brought in the Jewish factor in the equation. I have always maintained that Igbos are just Igbos till further researches are carried out in the future.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos? by curi00: 1:26am On Dec 18, 2015
HugoChavezJr:
Even though Igbos are known for lightskin, they still have prominent Negroid features. So no, they aren't mixed at all.
Agree with that. Skin's color is not an indication of admixture.

There is several reason you can get tan or light : climate, diet, health

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cultural-Political Attire From Different States / Aminat Abiodun, Iyalode Of Ibadan Is Dead / Traditional Nigerian Wedding.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.