Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,426 members, 7,800,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? (47782 Views)

Malabu Scandal: House Of Representative To Summon Goodluck Jonathan / Obasanjo's Letter To Senate And House Of Representatives / Senate And Buhari's Body Language - Magnus Oladesu (Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
What's the difference between the Senate and house of Representative? Politically inclined personnel in the house should help me out here cos from what I can observe from here is that they both perform the same function which doesn't make sense.. E.g Senate summons Jega today and Tomorrow you will hear again that House of Reps want to summon the INEC boss on the same issue.. please I need to be clarified here..

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Tolexander: 2:33pm On Feb 19, 2015
A very nice thread!

The same quetion I've been trying to solve when I saw both Houses individually threatening to impeach the president.

The nigerian constitution is modeled after the US constitution and to my understanding of the US constitution, only the lower house(house of rep) can impeach. This has made me to start searching for the nigerian constitution.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 19, 2015
Tolexander:
A very nice thread!

The same quetion I've been trying to solve when I saw both Houses individually threatening to impeach the president.

The nigerian constitution is modeled after the US constitution and to my understanding of the US constitution, only the lower house(house of rep) can impeach. This has made me to start searching for the nigerian constitution.

Am as confused as you are bro... I really wanna understand their mode of operations and why do they treat the same issues differently... Why will budget go through the Senate and still pass through the house too.... Please don't we have political scientists or even constitutional lawyers here?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by utytill(m): 2:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
They are thieves in diferent names.eg far*uk

56 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by kestolove95(m): 2:51pm On Feb 19, 2015
The color of dia seat...lower chambers is green while upper chamber is. red...and dia level of. stealing differs

107 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
No difference o, just different avenues to loot the nation dry.
i.e the House of Rep. is an annex of the senate.
Tolexander:
A very nice thread!

You go find the constitution tire, grin grin grin grin they only bring it out when they feel cheated.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by IVORY2009(m): 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
one of them performs an oversight functions, but basically, they both perform same duties.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by blackfase(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
I think I hav an answer to that. They are a congregation of clowns, muppets, geezers & grizly nincompoops that came together to exploit and pillage the collective wealth of a nation cos its docile citizens dont have the balls to stop them, but the only difference btwn them is while one chamber, the one filled with the grizly poops are sometimes decorous in the ways they deal and steal, the other bit filled with muppets needs to be strewn with pampers cos of their dull wits.....

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by LordMecuzy(m): 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
me self dey confused

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 19, 2015
Can't the two chambers be merged as one house? Maybe the seats will now have combination of two colours(red and green)... hahahaha..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Creamz(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
The major difference is the scope they cover. While the members of House of Representatives cover just 2 local government areas in most instances, the senate covers as much as 5 to 8 or 9 local government. And to be a Senator you must be 35 years and above while for a house member 30.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by teemanbastos(m): 3:09pm On Feb 19, 2015
senate earns more and mur powerful bt. Less intrextinq.
House of reps, na here FIGHT dy happen always..i enjoy dia proceedinqs..grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by mrofficial(m): 3:33pm On Feb 19, 2015
aanumama:
i.e the House of Ref. is an annex of the senate.

You go find the constitution tire, grin grin grin grin they only bring it out when they feel cheated.

It's available on Google Play Store, BlackBerry Appworld and Apple App Store.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Brimmie(m): 3:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
^^ Lol..

Their mode of Stealing and color of their seats.

A lot of things need to be done to start a New Nigeria we all clamouring for.

IMO, The Senate should be scraped. Bunch of thieves, always feeling pompous. The House of Rep is more effective than The Senate.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by curiouses: 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
They have no distinct functions. It is like the case of Federal and state ministers. Senate has more power than house of rep. Since it is a two-house system, a bill can not pass into law without both agree on it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by vicadex07(m): 3:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
Wow...I always thought am the only one that doesn't know this
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Joel3(m): 4:08pm On Feb 19, 2015
A thread i created many years ago.

www.nairaland.com/1447415/organs-arms-government

Find your anwser there.

My take it just to help cushion political unemployment by the military who draft the conStitution.

The two house must agree before they can make laws. It has advantage and disadvantage as well

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2015
May i have your attention please.

Nigeria runs what we call a " binocular bicameral legislator"

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

vicadex07:
Wow...I always thought am the only one that doesn't know this
curiouses:
They have no distinct functions. It is like the case of Federal and state ministers. Senate has more power than house of rep. Since it is a two-house system, a bill can not pass into law without both agree on it.
Brimmie:
^^ Lol..
Their mode of Stealing and color of their seats.
A lot of things need to be done to start a New Nigeria we all clamouring for.
IMO, The Senate should be scraped. Bunch of thieves, always feeling pompous. The House of Rep is more effective than The Senate.
mrofficial:

It's available on Play store.
teemanbastos:
senate earns more and mur powerful bt. Less intrextinq.
House of reps, na here FIGHT dy happen always..i enjoy dia proceedinqs..grin grin grin grin
Creamz:
The major difference is the scope they cover. While the members of House of Representatives cover just 2 local government areas in most instances, the senate covers as much as 5 to 8 or 9 local government. And to be a Senator you must be 35 years and above while for a house member 30.
Equalizer:
Can't the two chambers be merged as one house? Maybe the seats will now have combination of two colours(red and green)... hahahaha..
LordMecuzy:
me self dey confused
blackfase:
I think I hav an answer to that. They are a congregation of clowns, muppets, geezers & grizly nincompoops that came together to exploit and pillage the collective wealth of a nation cos its docile citizens dont have the balls to stop them, but the only difference btwn them is while one chamber, the one filled with the grizly poops are sometimes decorous in the ways they deal and steal, the other bit filled with muppets needs to be strewn with pampers cos of their dull wits.....
IVORY2009:
one of them performs an oversight functions, but basically, they both perform same duties.
aanumama:
i.e the House of Ref. is an annex of the senate.
kestolove95:
The color of dia seat...lower chambers is green while upper chamber is. red...and dia level of. stealing differs
utytill:
They are thieves in diferent names.eg far*uk
Equalizer:

Am as confused as you are bro... I really wanna understand their mode of operations and why do they treat the same issues differently... Why will budget go through the Senate and still pass through the house too.... Please don't we have political scientists or even constitutional lawyers here?
Tolexander:
A very nice thread!

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by dein77(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2015
There's no much difference between them. We have no business running such a wasteful bicameral system of government.

Well, both chambers must agree before a bill becomes a law ( assuming Mr Presidents assents it or its overruled by them again)

These 469 guys gulp about N150 billion every 365 days. They are a major factor in our underdevelopment!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by curiouses: 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2015
soe:

Nigeria runs what we call a "binocular legislator"

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

Bicameral legislature, right?

So what you are saying is upper house was created because people felt cheated by population system used in electing house of representative's members?
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
curiouses:

Bicameral legislature, right?

So what you are saying is upper house was created because people felt cheated by population system used in electing house of representative's members?
wow thnx for the correction..what was i thinking?

Exactly, states needed to be equally represented in the lawmaking power equation.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by nicerod(m): 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
kestolove95:
lmao oooooo badt guy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by kennyalao: 5:44pm On Feb 19, 2015
Interesting topic. Space reserved

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by badmrkt(m): 6:22pm On Feb 19, 2015
kestolove95:
bros u made my day...funny you!

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
Talking about equal representation at the upper house(Senate), what can one say about a situation whereby some geopolitical zones has seven states(3*7=21) and some has only five states(3*5=15).. Is there any equality in this political mathematics?

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Tolexander: 12:19pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:

I hope you understand?

there is nothing new in this you've posted.

Connecticut compromise brought this bicamera system of legislation up at the constitution conference to solve the problem it created between the big States and the small States deliberating on the representation at the congress.

The question I'm asking is what is the difference in the functions of the two nigerian houses?

9 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
Just multiple political positions to ensure that funds are effectively embezzled.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Babanah: 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
The senate represents the federating units (states) while the House of Representatives (the people). This is why each state has 3 senators regardless of size or population while the house of representatives is based on contituencies.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Tolexander: 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:
wow thnx for the correction..what was i thinking?

Exactly, states needed to be equally represented in the lawmaking power equation.
no, they weren't created one after the other.

They are both formed during the heated debate at the constitution conference.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by agabusta: 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
Tolexander:
A very nice thread!

But they impeached Clinton then, and he still served his term out. Is that not an indication that their upper house can also 'technically impeach'?? Because I heard the senate did not impeach him was what made him to complete his tenure.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
How much are they even paid monthly? Heard 100million naira per legislator..
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by agabusta: 1:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:

I hope you understand?

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adebayo Adedeji Is Dead / Stephanie Hegarty Reacts To Magu's Rejection By Nigerian Senate / Jonathan Returns To Nigeria From UK After A Month Vacation - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.