Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) (67539 Views)

30 People Die In Kogi Road Accident Today / Fatal Accident Today Along Creek Road,Apapa(Graphic Photos) / Fatal Accident Today At Third Mainland Bridge,Lagos,Many Feared Dead(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by leemaster(m): 9:53am On Feb 22, 2015
rip
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by 9icetoo(m): 11:28am On Feb 22, 2015
stagger:

Sometimes I do 100km/hr on that road, and then I see a car loaded with passengers (probably on the way to Bwari or Zuba enroute Kaduna) zoom past me like a rocket, which shows that they are probably doing 140km/hr. I think the speed limiters to be enforced as from June 1st will do a lot of good.
Speed limiters for what purpose? Have u not seen folks who crash at 50km/hr? The key is safe driving and observing the rules. Like citing posted, if the truck had been fitted with a rear guard, the occupants might have survived. If the other slow driver had stayed on the slow lane instead of hugging the speed lane, this accident might have been avoided. If the driver had applied due diligence and been patient, he might still be alive. These are the factors that led to this tragic incident and not overspeeding. That road was purposely made a three lane highway so that people could get to their destinations quickly and not limit their speeds. Single lane highways have a speed limit of 80 in Nigeria. What do you think is the speed limit on a three lane highway?

1 Like

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by 9icetoo(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2015
abatically:

Overtaking on the right side on a dual carriage highway is legal. A slow driving vehicle should keep right though.
Who gave this guy his drivers license?
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by abatically(m): 12:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
9icetoo:

Who gave this guy his drivers license?

Dude ur the one who needs to get his drivers license checked. It is perfectly normal to overtake on the right side of a dual carriage highway. If I'm driving on a 5 lane highway and the speed limit says 100km/hr and I'm on the left side doing 100 and then someone coming behind me is doing 140, u expect me switch to the right for him? He has to overtake from the right since he has 4 more lanes to himself.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by 9icetoo(m): 12:24pm On Feb 22, 2015
abatically:

Dude ur the one who needs to get his drivers license checked. It is perfectly normal to overtake on the right side of a dual carriage highway. If I'm driving on a 5 lane highway and the speed limit says 100km/hr and I'm on the left side doing 100 and then someone coming behind me is doing 140, u expect me switch to the right for him? He has to overtake from the right since he has 4 more lanes to himself.
You said dual and not how many lanes. If you had mentioned the number of lanes, I wouldn't have asked. Yes, it is perfectly okay to overtake from the right on highways with three or more lanes and where it is permitted.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by deor03(m): 12:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

Your prerogative but I continue to blame the government.

Why don't I drive reckless here in the US? I'm not going to answer the question but let you ponder on it.

Thanks.

Simple...........do appple for apple comparison

Abuja is not DC , when there are inadequacies , the onus is on you ( the owner of your life) , to live carefully.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by abatically(m): 12:43pm On Feb 22, 2015
9icetoo:

You said dual and not how many lanes. If you had mentioned the number of lanes, I wouldn't have asked. Yes, it is perfectly okay to overtake from the right on highways with three or more lanes and where it is permitted.

I said dual carriage highway, I didn't mention the number of lanes. A dual carriage highway has a minimum of 2 lanes.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 22, 2015
deor03:

Simple...........do appple for apple comparison

Abuja is not DC , when there are inadequacies , the onus is on you ( the owner of your life) , to live carefully.

I disagree with you and continue to maintain the failure of government.

There are basic things that a government should be providing to safeguard its citizens.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Weah96: 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

There are basic things that a government should be providing to safeguard its citizens.

Yes, like police people who don't steal. Try to offer cash to an Oyinbo police office and see how many charges the man will carry put for your head.That's because they receive their paychecks on time, weekly or biweekly, no excuses ever!! Landlords don't accept excuses. The computer tells them when they need to move you out.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by deor03(m): 1:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

I assume you understand Maslow's hierachy of needs. We are still at the most basic in Nigeria. ( I assume you have been away for long)

Food, water , shelter are still miracles here. In the US all you need anywhere is to have 1-bar signal on your phone..You can call 911 and be rest assured that you will get help.

While the government is still battling to get over the basic needs of Nigerians, isn't it wise for a Nigerian to live with caution?

1 Like

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by phibah: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2015
Most accidents are caused by human error....but what do you expect when people sit in their house and get their drivers license delivered to them...FRSC/VI O should sit up..driving is far much more than starting the ignition and moving the car.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Reference(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
Nobody is talking about the condition of the road. There is no government to blame here. So what is the excuse. Silly people that will never take responsibility for anything. Always looking to blame others.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2015
chronique:
RIP to the dead. A lot of Nigerians are bad drivers and bad road users. Overtaking from the right is wrong and should you attempt it,make sure you have a clear view of your front view and also ensure there's ample space for you to drive before the vehicle you're overtaking,pulls over in front of you. The safest and right way to overtake is from your left. Many people know this,but still end up breaking this rule and at the end,they waste their lives and the lives of others. Last month,I was on Lagos-Abeokuta express and my colleagues were of the opinion that I should reverse on the express so we can quickly connect the opposite lane and avoid traffic. I vehemently refused,but opted to through the normal route to connect the opposite lane. I tried to explain to them that reversing on the express was wrong and the vehicles coming behind me wouldn't expect a car to be reversing on that lane. At the end,I might end up causing accident for innocent people. If they die as a result of that,would I forgive myself knowing fully well that I was wrong? These are the little details Nigerians don't pay attention to and at the end of the day,they end up paying a greater price for it. People should learn to do the right thing often,and also put other road users into consideration when driving.
Either I'm overtaking from right or left I press my horn until I'm certain I can overtake you.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2015
deor03:

I assume you understand Maslow's hierachy of needs. We are still at the most basic in Nigeria. ( I assume you have been away for long)

Food, water , shelter are still miracles here. In the US all you need anywhere is to have 1-bar signal on your phone..You can call 911 and be rest assured that you will get help.

While the government is still battling to get over the basic needs of Nigerians, isn't it wise for a Nigerian to live with caution?

Don't mind him. May be government will enforce law that he should not put his hands in fire
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 2:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
Reference:
Nobody is talking about the condition of the road. There is no government to blame here. So what is the excuse. Silly people that will never take responsibility for anything. Always looking to blame others.

Are u minding them. Road is rough, government, road is smooth, government, preserve your life, government again. Haba
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 2:55pm On Feb 22, 2015
phibah:
Most accidents are caused by human error....but what do you expect when people sit in their house and get their drivers license delivered to them...FRSC/VI O should sit up..driving is far much more than starting the ignition and moving the car.

Drivers licence or not, a mad man is a mad man. Why are people still arrested for traffic offences in well managed countries despite passing through required tests. First line of defence, Love your family then your self
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by abatically(m): 2:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
Bluffly:

Either I'm overtaking from right or left I press my horn until I'm certain I can overtake you.

There is no point blowing ur horn before overtaking. It can be annoying to other road users and can even cause the person u are trying to overtake to lose control. It can be used when necessary especially when the person in front of u is not maintaining his lane, but doing it unnecessarily is not right.

1 Like

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by LAX89(m): 5:00pm On Feb 22, 2015
Buhari1:

My friend ("friend"wink go and learn more english. That "funny" is not the joke-laugh funny. It may be metaphorical. Only people like you would be looking for something to laugh about in a tragic situation like this.

So sorry the op disappointed you.

Actually, you need to learn a lot. 'Funny Enough' is NOT appropriate in this context, rather he should've used 'Sadly enough, or tragic enough'. But I do not blame you, English is NOT your first language, and you're a victim of a failed education system which has relegated your reasoning and knowledge base below that of an animal, very sad.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by MistadeRegal(m): 5:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

Your statement reeks of idiocy.

You can see that the vehicle in this accident did it's job spectacularly.

1) It didn't burst into flames like the Hiace.

2) It kept the occupants inside the protective safety cage unlike the Hiace where bodies littered the road after being ejected.

It's unfortunate that the non US (of course) trailer did not have a safety bar at the bottom as required by US laws. If it had then these folks would have most likely survived. No manufacturer can engineer an A pillar to withstand such forces.

It's also unfortunate that the car could not use more of its superb safety devices because the point of impact was above the safety zone where all the sensors were located.

The Hiace should be banned from Nigerian roads as a people carrying vehicle.

The Mercedes Benz S class vehicles are arguably the safest things on wheels and Mercedes Benz routinely wins all sorts of safety awards yet Princess Diana died in one in Paris was it? I understand that she wasn't wearing her seat belt, a required safety device. Even a front seat passenger survived that accident and she in the backseat did not.

You lack wisdom rather.
Can you see to your safety round the clock? Do you think every accidents are due to driver error, brake failure etc?
Keeping bodies within, bursting in flames etc, are the victims still alive?
Why see things only from the mortal view when several causes are from unseen powers?
Don't tell me about technology because I am full scale into Field Industrial Electronic Technology and I know what you are saying. Technology no matter the advanced form cannot keep you safe from unseen forces attacks and that is why we always include, "Damages due to AoG" in most warranty. So if you can't understand my point, take sedative.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
abatically:

There is no point blowing ur horn before overtaking. It can be annoying to other road users and can even cause the person u are trying to overtake to lose control. It can be used when necessary especially when the person in front of u is not maintaining his lane, but doing it unnecessarily is not right.

Why would blowing of a horn make you loose control? A driver must be ultra alert and not jittery. I can blow my horn in a way that it will be like a nuisance and as well as the other way round. If blowing of a horn can make a driver lose control then any sudden noise can make a driver lose control if that is the case, that person is not a driver. A good driver must not suddenly develop a fear but rather be aware of his/her surrounding within a jiffy and keep safe.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 22, 2015
MistadeRegal:

You lack wisdom rather.
Can you see to your safety round the clock? Do you think every accidents are due to driver error, brake failure etc?
Keeping bodies within, bursting in flames etc, are the victims still alive?
Why see things only from the mortal view when several causes are from unseen powers?
Don't tell me about technology because I am full scale into Field Industrial Electronic Technology and I know what you are saying. Technology no matter the advanced form cannot keep you safe from unseen forces attacks and that is why we always include, "Damages due to AoG" in most warranty. So if you can't understand my point, take sedative.

Of course you'll rather I take sedative because my posting made you uncomfortable due to your ineptness.

Stop trying to cover up your lack of education by going off on a nonsensical ramble.

I don't understand any point you tried to make but I am sure that other legions of fellows turds will get it.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
Bluffly:

Don't mind him. May be government will enforce law that he should not put his hands in fire

You are part of Nigerias problem if you can't see that the government of reasonable countries do indeed enforce laws like that.

Attempting suicide will at least ge you admitted into a psych ward and charged with attempted suicide.

While would your brain even be functioning when at the first cry of "ole" you're already picking up materials to burn someone.

Unwashed barbaric slowpoke.

PS: And by the way the reason that the government is involved is making sure that all tractor trailer shave safety bars in the back. Something this simple has been law in the US since the 60's. I know it will take 100 years before they figure that out in Nigeria.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2015
deor03:

I would debate with you but since your whole base in "assumption" then I find your whole premise and including you very repulsive.

I hold a current drivers license in Nigeria and this year alone I must have driven at least 1,000 miles in Nigeria, so take your assumptions and shove it up your a$$.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Mistaarhlohki(m): 6:13pm On Feb 22, 2015
Nmeri17:
why hasn't technology advanced to manufacturing cars that do not compress on impact in this 2015, cars still collide and people die as a result?? I'm not impressed with the Asians at all sad -_-

That's a phocking Toyota Camry 2001 not 3001...don't just talk..look and think first... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by deor03(m): 6:51pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

I would debate with you but since your whole base in "assumption" then I find your whole premise and including you very repulsive.

I hold a current drivers license in Nigeria and this year alone I must have driven at least 1,000 miles in Nigeria, so take your assumptions and shove it up your a$$.

I don't understand your anger, but I argue clean.

During your road trip across the country, you would have come across many Nigerians , what do you think is the basic need of Nigerians?

BTW, assumption is allowed in debates. With your rage now, I wonder how you handle road rage.

I have driven in several countries of the world, I localize, when i get to another country.

Even in the US, do you want to compare driving in Virginia, with driving in NY ?
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 22, 2015
deor03:

I don't understand your anger, but I argue clean.

During your road trip across the country, you would have come across many Nigerians , what do you think is the basic need of Nigerians?

BTW, assumption is allowed in debates. With your rage now, I wonder how you handle road rage.

I have driven in several countries of the world, I localize, when i get to another country.

Even in the US, do you want to compare driving in Virginia, with driving in NY ?

I understand why you would use that lame "my opponent is angry" default mode, it helps you deal with your frustration and lack of communication skills.

Assumption, when the opposing party is present for clarification, is something that teenagers do.

It is not my job to educate you on what Nigerians need on a basic level.

Since we are wondering about stuff, how do you handle your life professionally when you can't even handle yourself properly in a simple debate?

I'm not impressed with where you've driven - save that for the locals. Focus on Nigeria instead.

I also never said that I drove across the country.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
Mistaarhlohki:

That's a phocking Toyota Camry 2001 not 3001...don't just talk..look and think first... undecided

That is still a well designed, well engineered and very safe car though.

Some cars would have crumpled all the way to the rear window depending on speed.

What I didn't see are pictures of the road behind to see if the driver even had the chance to apply the brakes. Even ABS brakes still leaves some tell tale rash on the road.
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by deor03(m): 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG:

I understand why you would use that lame "my opponent is angry" default mode, it helps you die your frustration and lack of communication skills.

Assumption, when the opposing party is present for clarification, is something that teenagers do.

It is not my job to educate you on what Nigerians need on a basic level.

Since we are wondering about stuff, how do you handle your life professionally when you can't even handle yourself properly in a simple debate?

I'm not impressed with where you've driven - save that for the locals. Focus on Nigeria instead.

Go take your drugs
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
deor03:

Go take your drugs

Okay, but you go get a life grin
Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by abatically(m): 7:08pm On Feb 22, 2015
Bluffly:

Why would blowing of a horn make you loose control? A driver must be ultra alert and not jittery. I can blow my horn in a way that it will be like a nuisance and as well as the other way round. If blowing of a horn can make a driver lose control then any sudden noise can make a driver lose control if that is the case, that person is not a driver. A good driver must not suddenly develop a fear but rather be aware of his/her surrounding within a jiffy and keep safe.

Try blowing ur horn every time u overtake in the US or Europe or even some parts of asia and see if u won't get pulled over. If everybody on the highway blows their horns like that do u think the highway would be conducive to drive?

1 Like

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
CityNG and abatically, its useless trying to educate docile folks. Folks who are part of the problem in the system. They're so used to the inadequacies of the system that when they even climb the rung of leadership ladder, it becomes business as usual.

What stops road safety, vio from re-educating and ensuring compulsory training for all drivers irrespective of class of licence and/or class of vehicle driven (the norm is for a folk who's gotten cash to buy a car and take it to the highway to wreck havoc when the person hasn't even known the location of a driving school not to talk of sitting for driving lessons).

What stops VIO from enlightening all lorry/truck operators to install crash bars behind and by the sides of their trucks?

What stops the government from enacting laws that see to it that trucks tankers etc have dedicated lanes and/or operate at night in cities?

What stop VIO and road safety from suing erring drivers/operators/owners of these trucks when caught driving too fast, moving against traffic, having multiple non-OEM dazzling lamps, no side marker lamps, no brake lamps or rear fog lamps?

Our government officials are only after their pot bellies no wonder they finally wanna drop the sledge hammer against operations of hiace buses after the fatal Portharcourt crash.

My government- always putting the cart before the horse.

1 Like

Re: Fatal Accident Today In Abuja. (viewers Discretion Advised On Pics)) by Bluffly: 9:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
abatically:

Try blowing ur horn every time u overtake in the US or Europe or even some parts of asia and see if u won't get pulled over. If everybody on the highway blows their horns like that do u think the highway would be conducive to drive?

My guy, if I am in europe or where sane people are, I know that I am in it. But curently I drive in an environment where people can be so selfish on the road, in an environment were nearly all the drivers behave like a mad person. So it is not bad if I check your sanity before overtaking you. And mind you that doesn't mean I hoot my horn every now and then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boy Constructs 'Keke Napep' With Slippers In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Fatal Accident Today At Third Mainland Bridge,Lagos,Many Feared Dead(Photos) / Strange Car Seen On Badagry, Lagos Road This Morning (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.