Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,477 members, 7,781,391 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:42 PM

Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. (40044 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Foreigner Must Visit Nigeria/next Tourist Destination / BONNY ISLAND, Nigeria. A Beautiful City Many Don't Know Of.[history&pictures] / Photo Of A Foreigner Carrying A Well Maintained Nigeria Airways Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by ElPhenomenal(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
Won't you love to visit maiduguri too? It has alot of great historical backgrounds

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by susrite(m): 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:
As a Non-Nigerian African, I've always been fascinated by Nigeria (And no, not because of Nollywood, I'm not a fan of Nollywood). Here are the reasons why I want to visit Nigeria.

1. To Try Jollof Rice
I once read this book by Chinua Achebe where one of the characters really liked Jollof rice. And it sounded tasty. So I really want to visit nigeria and try it straight from the source. grin

4. To Try Bitter Leaf and Egusi.
I don't even know what this is, but it sounds delicious. Again I learnt about this while reading Achebe. grin
there goes my concern. In case you hit your foot on my beautiful country... Am a good chef and can actually treat you to series of sumptous meals #FreeOfCharge

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Forwetinnah: 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
ahaika23:
Acknowledging Port Harcourt got me to like you. You will so love it here at GRA on Friday night.

Hell yeah!!

OP very good reasons for your visit, I've never even thought of visiting the sites you mentioned except of course cook and eat Jollof Rice. BTW you can still eat Jollof in the US..just look for very good Naija restaurant but it would be quite expensive though.

You're welcome in advance
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by patrick89(m): 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
Rusa:

Are u surprise @ all the questions?? Hahahaha., we are Nigerians., we love questions even when we know the answers., and trust me we hardly believe people's word., our politicians thought us that.
Welcome to Nigeria, a place filled with drama kings/queens and BEUATIES.

Dont forget to visit my village if u eventually set ur feet in this glorious country.
I tell you, Nigeria hardly trust people. Look at the scrutiny that is going on. It is only in Nigeria, that someone(Nigerian) will be scammed by a foreigner, instead of the Nigeria to criticise the foreigner that scammed his brother he will abuse his own brother for being foolish, fall for the scammer.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by 100Cents: 12:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
ITbomb:
When you are outside Nigeria, to visit these places seems like to take the next cab to another part of the town.
Broz, if you are really outside, just narrow it down to 3 or 4,, check their geographical proximity. That way you will enjoy your holidays without being stressed out due to much travelling

I tell you, an average Nigerian has not seen or tried more than 4 of the listed

Say what ?

Like I have seen all.

Though my western brothers don't travel. They comment from Ibadan.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Forwetinnah: 12:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
ElPhenomenal:
Won't you love to visit maiduguri too? It has alot of great historical backgrounds

You're wicked o grin

The pleasure hub of Boko Haram?
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 12:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
Lol... Foreigner indeed!
AlpineSnow:

The feeling is mutual (If you are a guy no homo smiley)
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:
As a Non-Nigerian African, I've always been fascinated by Nigeria (And no, not because of Nollywood, I'm not a fan of Nollywood). Here are the reasons why I want to visit Nigeria.

1. To Try Jollof Rice
I once read this book by Chinua Achebe where one of the characters really liked Jollof rice. And it sounded tasty. So I really want to visit nigeria and try it straight from the source. grin

2. To Visit Kano.
Back when I was in class seven (7th grade obviously) we learnt about Climates in different parts of Africa. Kano (Northern Nigeria) was one of the area whose climates we studied. We looked at some pictures from that area, and the mud roofed houses (adobe houses?) looked really nice. So I'd like to visit that place.

3. To Visit the University of Ibadan.
It's probably the most well known Nigerian University outside of Nigeria. And a lot of smart Nigerians e.g Soyinka went there. Plus when I was a kid, I used to read this African encyclopedia for teenagers, and most of the contributing authors were from there (the others were from the university of Nairobi).

I don't even know what this is, but it sounds delicious. Again I learnt about this while reading Achebe. grin

5. To Visit Enugu.
I read "The Nigerian Civil War" by John de st Jorre. And Enugu was the capital of Biafra at the beginning. So I'm just interested in visiting because I read so much about it.

6. To Visit the Confluence of The Niger and The Benue.
And to travel by boat for a short distance down The Niger. Hopefully I won't end up like Mungo Park.

7. Visit Port Harcourt.
I just like the name of the city. That's all.

8. Visit the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Why? Because some smart Nigerians e,g Chris Okigbo have ties to this university. (Side Note: Chris Okigbo's grandson and I attended the same university. And boy, could he sing! His group competed in one of those American singing shows and did very well)

1. Jollof rice. . . Hmmm, Don't really understand why anyone would want to be so interested in eating Jollof when there are similar rice delicacies in the world. There's nothing special about Nigerian jollof. There are better nigerian meals that could wet your appetite. For example, Boli
2. Kano - I haven't been to Kano before but you could have an understandable reason for wanting to visit kano. Its one of the few notable historic places in Nigeria
3. University of Ibadan - Nice University, Nice students with some great alumni.
4. No such thing as bitter leaf and egusi soup - its either bitter leaf soup or egusi soup prepared with bitterleaf
5.Visit to Enugu - Heartwarming and welcoming place. You won't be disappointed
6. Niger confluence and stuff - Not a bad idea. I'd love to join you
7. Port Harcourt - Thats my town although I haven't been there in a long while. It used to be much fun in port harcourt back in the days. Its a noisy and dirty place these days as I heard
8. University of Nigeria- Great University. Shaped some of the greatest Nigerian minds.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Qoraxeey: 12:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

1. To Try Jollof Rice

2. To Visit Kano.
Back when I was in class seven (7th grade obviously) we learnt about Climates in different parts of Africa. Kano (Northern Nigeria) was one of the area whose climates we studied. We looked at some pictures from that area, and the mud roofed houses (adobe houses?) looked really nice. So I'd like to visit that place.

It's probably the most well known Nigerian University outside of Nigeria. And a lot of smart Nigerians e.g Soyinka went there. Plus when I was a kid, I used to read this African encyclopedia for teenagers, and most of the contributing authors were from there (the others were from the university of Nairobi).

5. To Visit Enugu.
I read "The Nigerian Civil War" by John de st Jorre. And Enugu was the capital of Biafra at the beginning. So I'm just interested in visiting because I read so much about it.

And to travel by boat for a short distance down The Niger. Hopefully I won't end up like Mungo Park.

7. Visit Port Harcourt.

Why? Because some smart Nigerians e,g Chris Okigbo have ties to this university. (Side Note: Chris Okigbo's grandson and I attended the same university. And boy, could he sing! His group competed in one of those American singing shows and did very well)

Hahaha..which year were you in class seven? Was in class seven in 1995 when we did GHC, and i can never forget my GHC teacher. Kenya nd The Rest of Africa. He would come to class and narrate his "voyages." How he went through the grassland savanna, the Equatorial climate, the Kalahari desert and what he saw.

He would start the class with "When i was in Zambia, I met Kenneth Kaunda." And the we would cruise through Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt, Steve Biko of South Africa, Joshua Nkomo of Zimbabwe, Kwame Nkuruma of Ghana, Julius Nyerere of Tanzania, and Haile Sellasie of Ethiopia. For some reason, we never studied Nigeria Leaders or South Africa's Mandela or Mugabe. Though I remember studying the Hausa and the Fulani. Wow....that was a long time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by toprealman: 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
VISA DENIED.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by kilmix: 12:18pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

1. To Try Jollof Rice

2. To Visit Kano.

5. To Visit Enugu.

7. Visit Port Harcourt.

Mr. Alpine please don't try to convince anyone about your Nationality...
Nigerians are very smart, doubtful, and can ask questions a lot.

We even respond to questions with another question... that's the untold story of Nigeria.

He said he's a Kenyan and he's interested in Nigeria.. what's the biggy?

Personally, I know about South Africa than some South Africans and I can even prove it... I've never been there... it boils down to interest.
I even know some streets in S.A I can even describe them... (Google has been helpful).

Not like he's claiming he's British or some western. Country.

Na wa oo.

And some people said foreigner indeed when he said No homo.

So no homo is a Nigerian word now abi?

LMFAO

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Vixen101(f): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
Still looking out for the flimsy excuses. People travel for less.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Rusa(f): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
patrick89:
I tell you, Nigeria hardly trust people. Look at the scrutiny that is going on. It is only in Nigeria, that someone(Nigerian) will be scammed by a foreigner, instead of the Nigeria to criticise the foreigner that scammed his brother he will abuse his own brother for being foolish, fall for the scammer.
Hahahaaha.., u are so correct.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by highmood(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
KpagoGIN:

@highmood trying to obtain the guy? he is yet to arrive oooh, take it easy and my brother from another country make whatever it is you are packaging for two.
lol. Not obtaining. Make him no reason say we go like sweet and biscuits; na make him range better thinz bring come for guys wey him go stay with and come in contact with as him de do him tour , but as for me, I am fine and i am sure he won't see me.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by susrite(m): 12:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
Vixen101:
Still looking out for the flimsy excuses. People travel for less.
seriously! The first time of going to sambisa forest, it was actually to check if the forest tree leaves were green!

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Mathematical(f): 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2015

grin This dude make me laugh hard.. I LOVE NIGERIA.. but ya stated reason are just too filmsy and susceptible to believe.... And if You're.. I wish you safe journey in advance alpinesnow..

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by deygar: 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
That interesting 2 knw much about nigeria frm afar,u,ll find ur visit 2 niaja fun,d election will come and go and nothing will happen,pple will just shout d normal I no go gree shout,and evrybdy will go back 2 business as usual..wish u d best whn u visit.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by MrCork: 12:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
100Cents:

He raised 8 points, 4 about Igbo.

It was Chinua Achebe's writings that made him dream of visiting Nigeria. Give it up for the WISEMEN FROM THE EAST

...really ...so chino Achebe road a book that made him go to Nigeria which still do not hav electricity for the past 20 years....abi? Bro I juss arrived bak in London from Nigeria and Insted of stayin for 2 week...I ran bak afta 4 days. I don't mean to sound rude but that place look like a village.. How can a police man ride bycycle from one state to another.in 2015?.. Only in Nigeria. I rest ma case! (no oofense) angry
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by papaejima1: 12:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
Xavier9ja:
won't u visit sambisa, monguno or any north eastern state. they are really cool place
grin grin grin
Wickedness has a new name. It starts with Xav.... grin grin grin
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Vixen101(f): 12:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
susrite:
seriously! The first time of going to sambisa forest, it was actually to check if the forest tree leaves were green!

Hahahaha, hope that was before it's new owners took over?

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by ednoville(m): 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

1. To Try Jollof Rice

2. To Visit Kano.

5. To Visit Enugu.

7. Visit Port Harcourt.

where rivers Niger and Benue meet is called the confluence
you wanna explore the confluence? Holla @ ya boy in lokoja, kogi state Nigeria's confluence capital, I stay at one housing estate just along confluence beach hotel
come experience nature at its purest
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Wendy80(f): 12:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
OP
Elechi Amadi is from Rivers State (port harcourt) not Efik like u thought.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by MrCork: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
...truss me theirs notin to love about that place...ordnary McDonald's,they dont have...even drinking water is from the river...and then I try to make payment wit ma American express at ther so called nando chicken restaurant....the waiter said: we don't accept business card for payment....gademmit!

..NIGERIA? ..foggggerit!!!!
angry

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by MrCork: 12:38pm On Feb 20, 2015
...they don't even hav elevator....there elector only reach 7th floor..meanin if u goin to 10th floor...u have to complete yor journey wit ladder!

....ther is no place like our London...truss me!!!
angry

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by susrite(m): 12:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
Vixen101:

Hahahaha, hope that was before it's new owners took over?
you bet it.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by papaejima1: 12:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
MrCork:

...which Nigeria??...that place that they have Goat, life chickens and lions chasin people up and down?? ...wher Police drives Police car with no engine??... bro I juss came bak from that place and didn't even see ordinary trafick light...FOGGGERRRIT!!! (no oofeinse) angry
grin grin grin
You forgot we fly without airplanes too.

We use tricycles (keke) to jump start our trains
Most importantly, our politicians carry colored brooms about without sweeping any damn thing while others carry umbrellas even at night with no rain.

man we are unique on the surface of planet earth... I tell You.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
Mathematical:

grin This dude make me laugh hard.. I LOVE NIGERIA.. but ya stated reason are just too filmsy and susceptible to believe.... And if You're.. I wish you safe journey in advance alpinesnow..

When are you visiting?
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by uzolexis(f): 12:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Haha. Don't know where Yaba is. I'm kenyan. But I'm in the states now.

Here are some of the works that made me so familiar with Nigeria:

- Nnamdi Azikiwe's Autobiography
- Some works by soyinka (I've only read snippets of Soyinka coz he's too smart for me)
- "The Nigeria Civil war" by John st Jorre.
- A host of works by Achebe.
- Multitude of short stories by Nigerian authors.
- I've read three books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- " Sunset in Biafra" which is a criticism of Biafra by Elechi Amadi who I think was an Efik man or something.
- A host of historical vignettes on Nigeria.
- "My Command" which is Obasanjo's autobiography of the civil war with a focus on his role as commander.

Essentially, I've read a lot about Nigeria and know quite a bit about it. And I just discovered nairaland last week.

If u r Kenyan then I bliv u. Kenyans r fascinated about Nigeria. I have some Kemyan friends here and i'm really impressed by their Nigerian knowledge, 1 of my Kenyan friends swore she must marry a Nigerian grin

3 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Samadict(f): 12:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
I like you. It's good to know that someone out there knows much about our country cos it could wake those of us sleeping. I'll try to know more about my country and Kenya. Maybe visit your country soon. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Xavier9ja(m): 12:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
papaejima1:

grin grin grin
Wickedness has a new name. It starts with Xav.... grin grin grin
lol.... is sambisa not a tourist center??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sewage Truck Falls In Asaba (Photos) / Motorcycle Rider Plays Karate On Spotting Chinese Indigenes On Nigerian Street / 268 Stranded Nigerians Evecuated From China Arrive Abuja Airport (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.