Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! (6223 Views)

Sample Cover Letter That Should Land You That Job / I Got The Police Job, Now I'm More Confused / Just Before You Take That Job, See This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by charles009(m): 12:48pm On Feb 20, 2015
For people like charles009, When i got hired in 2012 with a starter salary of N162,000 as a supevisor in a certain multi national company. Life to me became an instant bed of roses. Since then i had risen so fast and experienced some good fortunes, that I became a branch head in under one year.
When my boss retired, 1year ago, things have started going south, scathing attacks on me by the ogas who all belong to an identical ethnic group.(I am from a different ethnicity). Though i have decided not to use ethnicity as an excuse. Life became almost becoming unbearable for me. With each passing second, i feel my self worth is eroded. .

I have been advised on how to cope with the pressure, trust me, hatred is an evil that plagues all conscience.

I finally resigned from the job yesterday, and this morning I woke up with this renewed feeling that old things are passed away. I have started sourcing for another job and believe Mathew 7:1. if you ask your father for bread for bread, will he give you stone?

For all of you out there, suffering the same self eroding fate, I say to you, be encouraged, dont let your face drop, believe in you abilities, When people call u incompetent, let that fire roaring within you be the response. Heaven has a plan for you. Set yourself free. Be brave!!

To my bosses, Be free from HATE!!! I love you all, and i thank you all for daring me to do greater things.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
Guy its not to late to go and beg for that resignation to be withdrawn. if you seriously believe that there is a job somewhere that will be free of tribalism, jealousy and haters, you are deluded.
Go back to your job and learn how to cope, the job market is already over-crowded

12 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Desteenee(m): 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Bros I believe you should have managed the situation better than that, ''its really cold outside''

3 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by NosoChic: 1:59pm On Feb 20, 2015
From personal experience, I have also had to resign from jobs based on integrity issues .....I had worked where massive cooking of corporate books was carried out.

Looking back, do I regret my decision,? Not at all oh....yea financially I had to go on personal structural adjustment program, however, I have a clear conscience. ...you know that inner feeling of peace..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by kingjoo: 2:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
NosoChic:
From personal experience, I have also had to resign from jobs based on integrity issues .....I had worked where massive cooking of corporate books was carried out.

Looking back, do I regret my decision,? Not at all oh....yea financially I had to go on personal structural adjustment program, however, I have a clear conscience. ...you know that inner feeling of peace..

Men!!! You v made my day. it's unlike Nigerians to quit a job based on the reason you gave, but it's very comforting to see someone who did. with people like you, Nigeria's future is still bright

5 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by NosoChic: 2:49pm On Feb 20, 2015
@kingjoo We fail to realise that for us to effectively change here in Nigeria. ...It must start from individual re - orientation then to the family before it can effectively reflect in our society.

Trust me our corporate environment is not favorable to persons of integrity. At the moment I know so many people who have had to migrate out of the country because our society doesn't seem to reward INTEGRITY.

For those who doubt, I put it out for any one to mention any integrity based private company operating in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by donigspain(m): 2:56pm On Feb 20, 2015
NOTHING LIKE PEACE OF MIND!
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by onoerime: 2:58pm On Feb 20, 2015
You were earning a hundred and above salary and you did not invest? With that salary you would have own two or three keke marwa, a business centre or acquire a small land for a block industry. A lot of business are out there to invest on. Hmmmm.... U need deliverance

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Gudiza(m): 2:59pm On Feb 20, 2015
If it makes you sleep well at night, why bloody hell not.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Elslim: 3:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
OP... we r both in dsame shoes.. resigned my work of 3yrs last week anmd d feelin was jst to great. I'm and hopefull dat I will get another one.

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by crudedude(m): 3:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
NosoChic:

keep the flag flying my sister. It's not easy.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
bestestgirl:
Guy its not to late to go and beg for that resignation to be withdrawn. if you seriously believe that there is a job somewhere that will be free of tribalism, jealousy and haters, you are deluded.
Go back to your job and learn how to cope, the job market is already over-crowded
It's good he resigned.. Nothing kills faster than ill state of mind, the sleepless nights, depression, headache, self hate, low self esteem, sadness, etc he may not even live to enjoy the seed of his work.. it will even affect his performance at work greatly... He can still find somewhere better despite the state of our country or start up a business.....

NOTHING BETTER PASS INNER JOY AND PEACE!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 20, 2015
MarvellousGod:
It's good he resigned.. Nothing kills faster than ill state of mind, the sleepless nights, depression, headache, self hate, low self esteem, sadness, etc he may not even live to enjoy the seed of his work.. it will even affect his performance at work greatly... He can still find somewhere better despite the state of our country or start up a business.....

NOTHING BETTER PASS INNER JOY AND PEACE!!!!!

My brother, all those feelings you mentioned are also associated with unemployment and will still be present in the new job. All that matters is how much to control yourself and manage the people around you.
The other lady said that she resigned because she was being forced to compromise her integrity, I support that wholeheartedly!! but resigning because your colleagues are being ethnic bigots is not wise, simply because more ethnic bigots are waiting for him in his new job.
will he keep resigning from every job that has tribalists?

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by tenry(m): 5:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
Oga, please complete your story, tell us about your plans cos I knw there is sight in view for you, otherwise you would not have resigned based on d reasons you mentioned in your post. I'm sure u have saved for raining days, u wanna start your buz? You have been promised a new juicy job? But why are you misleading others who ll be gullible enough to believe resigning hopelessly is the solution to ethnic descrimination being faced at work? If you don't have hope somewhere, you won't take such stupid decision. However, d only way you can be free frm that is to set up a buz wit your savings(that is if u have one), expecting to work in a place devoid of those things that made u to resign is future impossible dream.

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
bestestgirl:

My brother, all those feelings you mentioned are also associated with unemployment and will still be present in the new job. All that matters is how much to control yourself and manage the people around you.
The other lady said that she resigned because she was being forced to compromise her integrity, I support that wholeheartedly!! but resigning because your colleagues are being ethnic bigots is not wise, simply because more ethnic bigots are waiting for him in his new job.
will he keep resigning from every job that has tribalists?
Anyway, we can't really say how much it was affecting him.. but i still maintain my stance that if the job was having a heavy toll on who he is, then he made the right decision...With his experience he can land another job except he isn't good at what he does, or start up something with his savings...

I rather leave with my head high than be treated like an outcast...

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by generalissimo(m): 5:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
NosoChic:

I bet feelings of insecurity wouldnt let other ladies e.g. bestestgirl take such honourable decision. They'll even advise u 'It's not too late to withdraw ur resigation cos there isnt job anywhere o' Kudos to u gal
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
I must applaud the brave decision you took. But would n't it have being better you got a new job first before quitting this one. As my homeboys will always say "a br.east in hand is worth more than 2 million br.easts in the blouse.
I pray God give you a better and fun-filled job.

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
What this government has done to Nigerians in the last 16years is unforgiving and unpardonable. They have rendered us thinking that we are in the best position and that we have achieved what destiny has designed for us.

We need complete change!
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 20, 2015
generalissimo:
I bet feelings of insecurity wouldnt let other ladies e.g. bestestgirl take such honourable decision. They'll even advise u 'It's not too late to withdraw ur resigation cos there isnt job anywhere o' Kudos to u gal
Really?? undecided undecided you can make bets on someone's thought processes, feelings and actions, based on one single comment in a faceless forum?
You must be a genius

Anyway let me reiterate that I totally support her actions because the job called for her to engage in something that is not only amoral, but also illegal. Mr OP, on the other hand, quit because his benefactor retired and he began to feel a little of the heat that every other employee puts up with every single day.
However, the OP has taken his decision and there is no accounting for choice, I just gave my own opinion as someone who dealt with a hellish boss for six months until I advised myself and took active measures to repair my work relationships and give myself some peace.

My position is that such people exist in every job so OP should rather try to make it work, not quit!

2 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by cc150615(f): 7:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
charles009:
For people like charles009, When i got hired in 2012 with a starter salary of N162,000 as a supevisor in a certain multi national company. Life to me became an instant bed of roses. Since then i had risen so fast and experienced some good fortunes, that I became a branch head in under one year.
When my boss retired, 1year ago, things have started going south, scathing attacks on me by the ogas who all belong to an identical ethnic group.(I am from a different ethnicity). Though i have decided not to use ethnicity as an excuse. Life became almost becoming unbearable for me. With each passing second, i feel my self worth is eroded. .

I have been advised on how to cope with the pressure, trust me, hatred is an evil that plagues all conscience.

I finally resigned from the job yesterday, and this morning I woke up with this renewed feeling that old things are passed away. I have started sourcing for another job and believe Mathew 7:1. if you ask your father for bread for bread, will he give you stone?

For all of you out there, suffering the same self eroding fate, I say to you, be encouraged, dont let your face drop, believe in you abilities, When people call u incompetent, let that fire roaring within you be the response. Heaven has a plan for you. Set yourself free. Be brave!!

To my bosses, Be free from HATE!!! I love you all, and i thank you all for daring me to do greater things.
I really think u should have just looked for another job before resigning from that Which I expect shouldn't take u much time, except u have something of ur own u wanna be doing Maybe from ur past savings.
also, u need to know that ethnic bias Nd attitude issues are everywhere not even only in offices tho I know it's excess in some places but the earlier u start learning to cope with people's attitude.. the better cos ppl in ur new job might have such attitude too.
# I'm passionate to see ur succeeding

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by marshalfire: 7:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
Ops,the decision u took is best known to u.but to my own understanding of the terrain of this country, u can not just resign in a company where u had ends meet coz of tribalism and ethnicity. tough time never last but tough ppl do.if u had endour the situation u would av overcame.no where in Nigeria that u will not encounter such issue.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by fohlarp: 7:46pm On Feb 20, 2015
I cn undstd.i had sch exprnc b4 wr my oga had hs own cliq. bcz dr was a minor issue btwn me nd one of hs clip was lkg 4 all mns 2 brg me dwn,bt 2dy sm ogas're Using me 2 prch dt dy wnt a staf dt adapts 2 chg easly bcz dt oga chgd my dpt 2 anoda nd dy cld nw c clrly dt it's d oga dt's frstg me.so wt ptnc,evn d new dpt,met strbrn ppl bt lata den bow.is it 2 tlk of wen dr's no prsnl table wr i cld do thgs d guy lft nw so av bn able 2 pk my thgs easily in d drawa.so all we nid is PATIENCE,bt let dem knw U dnt tk trash bt at d same frdly.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by prelinctus: 7:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
In saner climes, the Op's decision would have been the best, but considering the massive unemployment in this country, the decision doesn't look too good. Anyways, like someone said, one should start planning one's exit the very first day on the job.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
charles009:

Brain, is that you? shocked
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by ideology(m): 9:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
charles009:

Well, i would say resigning because of tribalism is not nice. What would you say on your next interview when you are asked why you resigned.

I understand the pressure, have been there but I handled through prayers and proving my worth.

They had no option than to like me. Some had to thank me secretly, my supervisor increased my task, added his responsibilities to mine. Though it also led to another issue since I was becoming too popular in the firm. My colleagues felt, i was showing up and started competing and finding faults (before I leave for site to inspect projects they will come and check if am on complete PPE) just imagine.

No one can dislike me, immediately i smile at you, you must melt grin grin, seriously prayer is the key

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by avalontony(m): 9:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
MY BRODA HOLY GHOST NO GET TIME TO LOOK PERSON FACE........OPERATION FIRE FOR FIRE .....ABI NA DIE BY FIRE?
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by ednut1(m): 6:02am On Feb 21, 2015
NosoChic:

very true. my first job i became an expert in window dressing nd was nt happy o. d day i left i made sure i prepared d books well. d problem of dis country is nt d leaders bt d citizens

2 Likes

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by SisiNini(f): 6:21am On Feb 21, 2015
It is very wrong to resign because of pressure... There's tribalism, favouritism and nepotism in all organisations... The only reason u shud resign like dat is if there's threat to life...

Almost all organisations practice double-standards... Wisdom is securing another job before resignation...

May God help us all...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by NosoChic: 7:19am On Feb 21, 2015
@SiSiNini To say it is very wrong for anyone to resign especially when you are not in that person's shoes may be too extreme.

I personally believe that I rather not work for any organization than work for a double standard Window dressing organization. The mentality that we must work and do things against what is ethical and professional is the major reason the average employee worth in Nigeria is very low.

So we believe we must sleep with bosses,lie, cook books, et al for fear of been unemployed , and the reality that a million other people will be willing to do such in our stead.

This is the reason why we have the leaders we have today in Nigeria, our leaders are simply a mirror image of we th citizens.

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by charles009(m): 7:23am On Feb 21, 2015
To say it is very wrong for anyone to resign especially when you are not in that person's shoes may be too extreme.

I personally believe that I rather not work for any organization than work for a double standard Window dressing organization. The mentality that we must work and do things against what is ethical and professional is the major reason the average employee worth in Nigeria is very low.

So we believe we must sleep with bosses,lie, cook books, et al for fear of been unemployed , and the reality that a million other people will be willing to do such in our stead.

This is the reason why we have the leaders we have today in Nigeria, our leaders are simply a mirror image of we th citizens. [/quote]

Well said, I have been through a lot, coping with ethnicity is different with coping with outright hatred. It was too much, the pressure was immense, my self worth was completely eroded.
Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by NosoChic: 7:37am On Feb 21, 2015
@charles009, Howdy, I trust you are faring okay.

As much as possible, I know you must now plan what is the next step you may be willing to take. I pray you TO COMPLETELY hold no grudges against anyone, it just is not worth it. I also advise you to identify a support group at this time....It could be family, a trust worthy friend, a mentor, a counselor in church,etc

Just someone to reassure you of God's promises and purpose for you life. This person will also prayerfully encourage you along the way. Avoid any largesse spending, dependent friend,etc.

Wishing you all the best .

1 Like

Re: Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! by SisiNini(f): 9:05am On Feb 21, 2015
@NosoChic and charles009, how is it not wrong for someone to resign from his place of work on the basis of ethinicity in a country like Nigeria...? A country where Nepotism, Ethnicity and Favouritism are the norms...

You jux have to understand the politics of your workplace and continually pray for God's favour...

@Op, you'll share good testimony soon...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls It Is Urgent / Npower: How To Fix "Account Number Names Do Not Match The Names On Dashboard" / Nairalanders Hopeful For Kpmg - Drop A Note Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.